Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
big fan of how Knock and Sette both insist their illiteracy is a lifestyle choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

big fan of how Knock and Sette both insist their illiteracy is a lifestyle choice

God drat it I was about to post that. :mad:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
"So, he lose weight?" is a very good punchline.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sette is looking sad. :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nary should really compile and publish all his aphorisms. The Bastard’s Almanac. it’d make a mint

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And unlike many aphorisms it's actually true!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am here for Toma/Elka. Given how bad things happen pretty consistently in this comic, I'm guessing one of them is dead by the end of the chapter... but I'm still here for it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I need Toma and Elka to have a happy ending.

Please, Ashley. I'm begging you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Toma is objectively right about her old look being stronger.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My first CO used to say... the real evil of Alderode is all the inhuman things they make us gleefully imagine doing in order to stop them.

But her majesty doesn't get to only imagine them.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 28, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If he can see just by holding up a pair of eyes not even his own to the relative spot his head should be, I wonder how long before he just stops pretending to be human and embraces his weird post life existence instead of pretending to be the corpse of the man he was.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Likely never. Duane is very aware his parts are removable and even interchangeable, and while he exploits this (and not too rarely) by necessity, he does not like dwelling on the Ship of Theseus-style implications of it.

I believe he'd be more at peace if he came to terms with being an essentially disembodied human soul preserved from the merciless workings of the Khert through being anchored to whatever pymaric artifice lies implanted in his spine, but that wouldn't be the Duane we know and love, now would it? Grotesque and painful as it is, he'd much rather cling to the idea that he's Duane Adelier's corpse out of nostalgic familiarity while pretending it's not a matter even up for debate.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Knock's a treasure

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm glad Knock has lived. I'll feel bad if/when she gets crashed by the Anadyne/Silver.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
knock’s power grows with every page, if she gets a full chapter then she’ll become unkillable

Sette seems have shed a lot of illusions since we last saw her

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My first CO used to say... the real evil of Alderode is all the inhuman things they make us gleefully imagine doing in order to stop them.

But her majesty doesn't get to only imagine them.

Imperialist dictatorship carrying out an ethnic cleansing, tears running down its face, “look what alderode made me dooooo!”

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, that's one way to deal with trauma, Sette.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't think it's going to last, because that last bit with sara and siya is dangerously deluded even for her

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I think she's just smiling through the tears on this one. And we've seen her know the truth despite her self-mythologizing in the past.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

She's literally crying on the page.

Living your best lie can only go so far.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lots of people deserve hugs in Unsounded.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think they're both acknowledging the reality, they're just psyching eachother up. It's kinda cool actually. Love the detail of her just essentially ripping the bad vibes out and crushing it in her hand.

It's kinda shonen in tone almost.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Honestly, it's a very good thing Duane can't talk right now.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Which brings up the closely-related philosophical question: how many people's lives would be improved if Duane never talked at all?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agaragon posted:

Honestly, it's a very good thing Duane can't talk right now.

boo is stitching his head back on so my prediction is that he's going to drag sette back down to earth very quickly

i don't agree that this is a positive moment. spend too long living in your best world and the real one will come up behind you and slit your throat - or chop off your head, as it were

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Drakyn posted:

Which brings up the closely-related philosophical question: how many people's lives would be improved if Duane never talked at all?
Sette's life would be demonstrably worse.

Duane's got problems (check the pages preceding this one; heck, check this one), but the surrogate father-daughter relationship he's formed with Sette has (slowly) contributed to their mutual benefit.

As for Knock (bless her), I think she means well enough, but the best she can do is encourage the same cycle of coping mechanisms she herself employs. You can tell she's trying to hype Sette up, but she also has no idea what all Sette's been through. She's not over her cousin's betrayal, her father's detached manipulations. Starfish is dead but his memory lingers in her mind - literally, on the latest page - with the fear old man Nary might've set them up if it put even two copper coins in his pocket. I can't even imagine the fear and disgust that kind of thought breeds in a child, and what's worse for Sette: it's not just a thought. While she hopes its not true, she can't deny the possibility. Starfish could've been lying, but maybe he wasn't. She cannot know for certain her father wouldn't throw her to the sharks. That's how the Frummagems do it.

Duane's hardly Father-of-the-Year himself, but compared to all the other adults in Sette's life, he just might be her best shot at a workable, healing parental relationship, which is something she desperately needs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

From today's title text:

quote:

Quigley’s looking a lot better too. Let’s wait and see in what exciting way he Ruins Everything.

Yep.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This Quigley guy seems like a real turd.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he’s deliberately painting himself in the worst possible light out of some masochistic impulse but that doesn’t make it any better

“I suppose I’ve put off the villain’s screed long enough” jfc aldishmen are such giant fruity babies

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I brought this up a while back, but Quigley really is an awful shithead.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Quigley really is determined to suicide by proxy, isn't he?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he’s deluding himself the same as Sette is right now, just by living in his worst world instead of his best

ought to lock them both in a big crate for a day and see what happens

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ashley Cope posted:

Elka on this page is standing in for all the people on tumblr the last few days desperate to find some justification or excuse for Quigley.

Quigley is a piece of poo poo who set up the murder of his wife for not obeying him, and then freaked out afterwards because it didn't also kill the son he hated. You don't need to make excuses for him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Quigley is a piece of poo poo who set up the murder of his wife for not obeying him, and then freaked out afterwards because it didn't also kill the son he hated. You don't need to make excuses for him.

cope is being glib and her actual take is in her tumblr as usual. what’s actually happening isn’t hard to figure out. we’ve already seen how quigley behaved in those moments and it doesn’t jibe with how he’s describing them now

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's really obvious that he's a child raised by other children in these moments.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
like the irony in quigley's whole spiel here is obvious - he's not debunking the play elka's referencing, just rewriting his role. if he really felt this way then he wouldn't have fallen to his knees and begged matty not to go when he thought the kid was going to die, nor would he have been weeping with relief when his countrymen gave him their assurances after ratting vienne out

the play made him out to be some noble antihero, he wants everyone on this train to believe he's a sneering stage villain, and he'd prefer either of them to the truth - that he's a weak man and a disgrace of a father, so painfully ordinary

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

All of that can be true, and who knows what we'd be like if we'd had his childhood in Alderode, but explaining isn't excusing. It strikes me as special pleading on behalf of a main character.

Oxxidation posted:

the play made him out to be some noble antihero, he wants everyone on this train to believe he's a sneering stage villain, and he'd prefer either of them to the truth - that he's a weak man and a disgrace of a father, so painfully ordinary

I agree he's ordinary. He's an extremely lovely person, and there are a lot of extremely lovely people in both the world of the comic and real life. He's no tragic figure, he's just an abhorrent rear end in a top hat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you want to believe the version of events that he's presenting right now. his version of events is a self-serving lie, so you're wrong. it isn't any more complicated than that

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Quigley turned in his wife. He did it out of fear at what would happen to him if he didn't and anger at her for not doing what he wanted (both with Uaid AND having a child he didn't want). He did it knowing what would happen to her. And when he gets back to see what had been wrought, he's stuck with the consequences of his action AND the loving kid he never wanted in the first place. His assault on the authorities appears to have been an attempt at suicide by cop, which he took Matty along for. It didn't take.

That he's full up on self-loathing and actively trying to make everyone hate him doesn't change that he should be hated for his actions. It's not just his actions in Alderode, it's what he did after. He couldn't deal with Cresce making him out to be a hero, so he fled with Matty and Uaid. He could have done any number of different things after that, but decided working with loving Starfish and stuffing children full of silver was the best way for him to provide for this kid he couldn't stand to deal with but couldn't bear to abandon because Matty's the last thing he has of his beloved wife (who he turned in).

I mean, c'mon. We have vastly more evidence for Quigley being involved in Vienne's death and not wanting Matty than we have for Lemuel having anything much to do with Duane's murder, and yet one is taken as self-evident while the other is outright denied because poor sad Quigley. It's not his fault he had the woman he loved tortured to death. Look at what she made him do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Tbf Lemuel is an ultra nationalist who craves a war of genocide as an excuse to vent his bloodlust.