Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

my fat arse destroyed my rear wheel (hub blown). it was the stock one that came with my bike so it was designed to be light, I guess. 17 wide. I'd thrown spokes on it twice in the last few months as well, so it needed an upgrade regardless. got a new one thats 19 wide and many more spokes.

I feel bad for the guy at the shop who had to put the new Marathon plus back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

norp posted:

Commute on fixed gear and you can avoid the cost too!!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

kimbo305 posted:

If anything, IGHs are more sensitive to tiny issues with the shift cable than derailleurs.

Which models are you taking about?

I've worked at shops in a country that has IGHs, and that is not my experience.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Groda posted:

I've had the same experience with IGHs. Nexus, Alfine, Sturmey. Also, like others said, when the weather's below freezing the cable tends to freeze in the housing. It can happen to derailers too, but it's rare for a derailer to have full-length housing, so it happens way less.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Does anyone commute via bike here who has to wear a suit to work? If so - what are the steps you take to ride and be able to be presentable at work?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Groda posted:

I ran a Nexus 8 for a couple years, and briefly a 3 spd.
Both needed extremely precise initial setup so that you could hit all the gears without some hangup/hesitation during the shift. You could feel the cable pull some mechanism over but not have it latch onto the next gear.
Even after you dialed it in just right initially, any perturbation would have it shifting less cleanly.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

my fat arse destroyed my rear wheel (hub blown). it was the stock one that came with my bike so it was designed to be light, I guess. 17 wide. I'd thrown spokes on it twice in the last few months as well, so it needed an upgrade regardless. got a new one thats 19 wide and many more spokes.

I feel bad for the guy at the shop who had to put the new Marathon plus back on.

Oh god that just happened to me. It sucks. The mechanic did alright with the tires though.

I'm terrified of it happening to my front wheel now. How often does it happen and should I just replace my wheel so I can ride without thinking it's all going to fall apart on me again?

Sab0921 posted:

Does anyone commute via bike here who has to wear a suit to work? If so - what are the steps you take to ride and be able to be presentable at work?

I have to wear a button up shirt, not a full suit, but essentially I change. I have two saddlebags, one for lunch and papers, and the other for clothes. I don't fold them but you could I guess. I ride in sports gear, get to work, and change. There's a shower at work, but I don't sweat that badly on the way there to want to go through the trouble of using it, but they have given me a space to put my clothes to dry, which was nice. I carry a small towel with me in the event I get REALLY sweaty I guess, but it's only 10 km. Helmet-hair keeps my hair from being too hosed up, and I shower again once the day is done.

I'd say it depends on how far you have to go, how sweaty do you normally get, and if you have the facilities to get changed at work. I get changed in a WC, but it's a room all to myself while I'm in there and spacious enough with coat hangars that it's a comfortable change.

That said I see people in business suits biking pretty frequently. They also have electric bikes, which are great if you don't really want to make an effort and break a sweat. Would your job be jerks about you walking in while in sportsgear before changing? If so, that sucks and they suck, but I don't know what you could do then aside from changing in a café before going to work which is bull.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

few options:
1) go slow as gently caress and only do it in nice weather. I've never lived this life but I know some folks do.
2) roll up your work clothes, take a shower when you get in.
3) bring in all your work clothes at the start of the week, take shower when you get in, haul 'em home at the end of the week. makes two trips more annoying but reduces the chances of forgetting a belt or shoes or undershirt or something, at least.
4) have a week or so's worth of work clothes that you get laundered at/near work, never take 'em home.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Is there a saddle bag that works as a garmet bag?

That could work - we have a gym and locker room in the building so I could change there.

I'm on the Texas coast so - even at low effort I get sweaty due to the humidity and heat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

E-bike, if you can afford it for a commuter and are willing to sacrifice the purity of a normal bike.
Is the main factor sweat, or are you also getting wrinkles from pedaling and how you hold you arms?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Shimano IGH fluid gets p viscous at lower temps so combine that with gritty icy cables and stuff and ya an IGH is gonna be prone to getting hung up in the winter.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

E-bike, if you can afford it for a commuter and are willing to sacrifice the purity of a normal bike.
Is the main factor sweat, or are you also getting wrinkles from pedaling and how you hold you arms?

E-bike issue is just storage space - I don't have it.

As far as the main factor - it's more that I'd like to not ride in work clothes since suits are expensive if they get torn up, splashed, stained by grease, etc. It'd be ideal to wear athletic wear and then change somewhere if there was a good solution to allow me to transport a suit on the bike.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Sab0921 posted:

Is there a saddle bag that works as a garmet bag?

No personal experience with them, but I've seen people on the bike paths around here with these: https://www.twowheelgear.com/collections/garment-panniers

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Sab0921 posted:

Texas coast

There is no way short of changing given your location. I was in texas for a conference and decided to take a bike ride to a brewery. Instant swamp cheeks.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

E-bike issue is just storage space - I don't have it.

Tern makes folding ebikes and ebikes that freestand on their rear rack

Pricey tho

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

norp posted:

Commute on fixed gear and you can avoid the cost too!!
I ride a 35kg unloaded cargo bike and there's narsty hill on the way.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Tern makes folding ebikes and ebikes that freestand on their rear rack
The GSD is good. They fixed most issues during Gen 1 production. The Gen 2 seems more better but yeah, expensive.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 23, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

osker posted:

There is no way short of changing given your location. I was in texas for a conference and decided to take a bike ride to a brewery. Instant swamp cheeks.

Agree

Dallas is like 75% the heat/humidity of Houston and I'd still get sweaty on my downhill commute to work in the mornings

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Normalize being sweaty and gross at work

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

God Hole posted:

This tbh

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

God Hole posted:

Lawyers are gross on the inside - so I have to look nice on the outside.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tern has the GSD, which in theory could fit two child seats on its rack, the smaller HSD, which would fit just 1, and announced a slightly shorter and cheaper model:
https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/9/22967229/tern-quick-haul-electric-cargo-bike-price-specs
Also shown with its standing on end capability.

If we move from the current 12min flat commute to daycare, I plan to get the Quick Haul and forego the two child seat possibilities of my current bike.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Anybody got recommendations for reflective tape brands?

My bike is matte black and when I was running cheaper tyres that didn't have reflective sidewalls I put some reflective tape on the rims but it was cheaper stuff (all my local hardware store had) and not all that good at its job. I'd also like to put some red strips on the rear of the bike frame to make it show up a bit more.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Animal Friend posted:

Anybody got recommendations for reflective tape brands?

My bike is matte black and when I was running cheaper tyres that didn't have reflective sidewalls I put some reflective tape on the rims but it was cheaper stuff (all my local hardware store had) and not all that good at its job. I'd also like to put some red strips on the rear of the bike frame to make it show up a bit more.

I’ve had some 3m stuff on my commuter bike for 6 years and it hasn’t shown signs of peeling or losing its luster. It’s on the frame though, not the wheels

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I started off putting this stuff on my bike, and after I got married and had a kid, bought more and put it on my stroller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y7I310/

Don't get anything larger than 1" as it's really thick stuff and the adhesive struggles on a
1) really glossy paint job, and
2) around tight radius tubing (e.g. seat stays)

If you cut it in half length wise you can make stripes and wrap it around frame tubes barber-pole style, or cut it into tiny bits and stick it on to any flat surface

Here it is in red: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y7HR3A/

This adhesive is strong enough to stick to any tubing ~1.75" in diameter or larger (most every down tube), or strangely, any cordoba ballistic nylon. I still have three x 3" stripes of this on my timbuktu bag I put there ~6 years ago and that thing has probably been on 30 plane rides since then

Hadlock posted:

Check out my handiwork with the reflective tape on the stroller:

This is standard industrial 3m reflective tape you can buy on Amazon for about $7, in white, blends in perfectly with your silver colored stroller

Modern phones with their HDR make it too hard to show off how effective this stuff is, but on an infrared baby cam, it finally looks how it does on the sidewalk at night. A++ would recommend

Supposedly they make a black version now too that's about 90% as good, but I haven't tried it

Note I put postage stamp sized bits on the inside of the wheels, when they're spinning they're alarmingly visible from across any intersection; same reason bicycle pedals and bike wheels come with reflectors installed

I wouldn't judge you one bit if you have the opportunity to do this, especially the first week back from NYE

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 25, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I’m in San Francisco for a game conference with my Brompton.

Climbing isn’t an issue (Nob Hill) but the descents are a bit scary. I hang off the back of the bike but those are really steep descents.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just bought an 80's peugeot road bike for my 4.5 mile, rather hilly commute

just in time for us to get a surprise late-season cold snap where it'll be in the mid teens two mornings in a row lmfao

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

just in time for us to get a surprise late-season cold snap where it'll be in the mid teens two mornings in a row lmfao

Layer up, still rideable.

E: also thank goodness, they weren't using metric parts anymore by then.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

get some bar mitts. they are seriously a game-changer

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i will definitely buy cold weather gear next winter, but for those two days i will just drive. not confident enough in where my body is right now to do a ride in weather quite that cold right now. i did ride to and from work friday when it was 30s in the morning and 50s going home and that was fine, aside from me not pacing myself at all and feeling like i was gonna die when i got home.

i have not had a bike since my mountain bike was stolen over 20 years ago. i used to ride that thing nearly every day for several hours and when it was stolen i just decided i was not allowed to have things i enjoyed and never got another one. getting a bike made me remember how much i like riding them even if it's an old sorta clunky one, i rode around aimlessly for an hour today.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

God Hole posted:

Normalize working from home and riding at lunch

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i rode around aimlessly for an hour today.
:perfect:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 28, 2022

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

evil_bunnY posted:

Normalize working from home and riding at lunch

:perfect:

I tried doing some lunch exercising so I could see some sunlight in the winter and it just didn't work out for me because I couldn't hold myself to only one hour of riding or rollerblading.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

I tried doing some lunch exercising so I could see some sunlight in the winter and it just didn't work out for me because I couldn't hold myself to only one hour of riding or rollerblading.
I motivate myself by only having leftover lunches at home so if I want the good stuff I need to ride. Also I manage a datacenter that's further away than my office so when I do ride in it's more of a trek.

Also today was summer tires swap day and my god every year I forget how grip-sapping and power-hungry studded tires are.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 28, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

Also today was summer tires swap day and my god every year I forget how grip-sapping and power-hungry studded tires are.

I did that last weekend as well as new chain and cassette, brake pads, fork service and a good cleaning - all the lube I've had to to slather on the driveline to keep things moving smoothly and not rust in all the brine I've been riding through all winter was super gross. Since then the weather has been really nice and I've been motorcycling to work since it's even more fun but now it's turning cold and foul again for at least a week so it's back to pedalling. Here's hoping it doesn't snow much or ice up again because my summer tires are nearly slicks and also I don't want brine all over the bike again :ohdear: But yeah summer tires always feel great. It feels good on cars too, to a lesser extent. Winter tires suck in every single way except one.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I was gonna switch to summer tires today but apparently we're getting snow and ice again towards the end of this week so NEVERMIND I guess?

They swept the roads properly last week so it's been easier and faster anyway, but I was looking forward to the tires. Also putting on a fresh new chain, bike deserves some love.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wait you guys clean your winter drivetrain? I just throw it in the garbage and put new stuff on.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

EvilJoven posted:

Wait you guys clean your winter drivetrain? I just throw it in the garbage and put new stuff on.

If this was directed at me I threw away the chain and cassette. Everything adjacent to the driveline was still gunky from lube slathering, like the derailleur for example. I didn't throw that out since it's fine so I cleaned it instead. Same with the front sprocket and chainstay and so on. But yeah the bike rides really nice again - summer tires with all that entails, great brakes that don't squeal, shifts perfectly, fork is tight again and so on. The crank bearing will need replacement though, the brine killed it. Surprisingly the pedal bearings are fine, they usually don't last in salt water.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phosphine posted:

I was gonna switch to summer tires today but apparently we're getting snow and ice again towards the end of this week so NEVERMIND I guess?
Yeah it's dumping snow again today :/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I mean, with all the brine and grit they put down I'd need new ring, 2 chains and a cassette (plus probably rollers) every year. So yeah I cleaned it up a couple times a week.
Now I ride a gates belt, so I just flush it with water and that's it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

EvilJoven posted:

I clean it and run the same chain for like two years, I've had this chain on since 2019 since I didn't commute last winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

For Winnipeg, "throw it away in June when winter pauses" is presumably the correct answer for many things.