Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Apparently not learning from the mistakes that the NES made, there was a Super Famicom tarot card game cart.

Also, it was released on the Bandai Pippin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Turbinosamente posted:

I know, I know it happens with all the media that picks a date in the 2000s as "the future" it just stings when it's your childhood obsession. Stings almost as much as realizing I caught up to and passed Joanna Dark in age like 9 years ago.

According to Crystalis, the world ended on October 1st, 1997. Nothing else has been real since then.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:utruck:

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1508705573407277060

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So after PAL chat the other day I randomly stumbled onto an Aussie youtuber who had just uploaded the first part of a little documentary series on Beam Software, Australia's first game dev company. This seemed weirdly serendipitous and it sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole as I thought I might take a look at Beam's 80s output which I was pretty sure was mostly for the ZX Spectrum but knew very little about. I found out pretty quickly that the list of games developed by the company on Wikipedia was pretty incomplete, but that prompted me to hit up Beam's old website circa 1998 (they were bought out in 1999) that listed all of their games from 1980 through to 1996.

That list was incomplete as well, as MobyGames seems to list some titles that weren't listed on Beam's website but were definitely developed by Beam. So I'm working to slowly try and compile some sort of definitive list. I've found some interesting stuff as I've been doing this.

• Holy hell they were more prolific than I thought, churning out a sizeable amount of NES games - mostly a mix of ports of existing games from home computers and licensed titles, and way, way more Game Boy games than I had thought as well. They released 21 NES titles that I've found so far between 1989-1990.
  • They're responsible for porting Gex over to the PlayStation and the Saturn from the 3DO which is a crime that there may not be forgiveness for.
  • The have releases for the PC-98! The ported over SSI's wargames Colonial Conquest, Mech Brigade and Kampfgruppe in 1990. They also did a port of the Atari ST's 1987 hit Dungeon Master........ in 1991.
  • They released seven issues of an interactive magazine distributed on CD-ROM - the most 90s thing ever - called The Disc that apparently lasted 7 issues. God I want to track these down.

There's just such a bizarre mix of titles here. I know that the Australian Centre for the Moving Image has preserved some of their 80s stuff, particularly focusing on their Spectrum output.

I... kind of want to do a chronological showcase/review of these games à la Jeremy Parish's Works series. It's a niche subject and all but I dunno, I think it would be cool to be able to visually show people where the gaming industry in Australia started :unsmith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Apparently not learning from the mistakes that the NES made, there was a Super Famicom tarot card game cart.

Also, it was released on the Bandai Pippin.

So Super Famidaily is next is what I'm hearing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Mode 7 posted:

I... kind of want to do a chronological showcase/review of these games à la Jeremy Parish's Works series. It's a niche subject and all but I dunno, I think it would be cool to be able to visually show people where the gaming industry in Australia started :unsmith:

If you got the time and dedication I'd say go for it! A lot of non Japan/US markets are pretty well untouched and even Europe barely gets mentioned. I remember being suprised when the book Replay: The History of Video Games by Tristian Donovan briefly touched on the French and British gaming scene and no other published work to my knowledge has done much since unless you count Guru Larry's youtube channel.

And besides I remember seeing the name Beam Software on US gameboy games and as you've noted they've had a wider reach than just 'Straya.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So Super Famidaily is next is what I'm hearing.

You just made my eye twitch.

Mode 7 posted:

Go for it. Deep dives into obscure gaming topics are cool.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Zarikov posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for Gameboy Color screen backlight kits / drop in replacement LCDs? I feel like I may have missed the bus on this and lots of these are out there but either unavailable or don't have a ton of external reviews. Just wondering if anyone recently had a good experience with one.

I would assume the drop-ins are going to have better colors, but I don't mind the work of doing a backlight kit if that's a better overall outcome.

There are still no backlight kits for GBC because of the way the screen is manufactured. The glass has a literal mirror bonded to the back so not enough light gets through.

I personally use BennVenn's Freckleshack/Aioli which looks like the original screen but, y'know, backlit. Other people seem to be enamored with the laminated IPS screens that require a new shell or case modification that I believe are from Funny playing. The Funny Playing screen is slightly larger than stock and the Aioli is slightly smaller. As mentioned there are pros and cons to both so check out some YouTube reviews of them to figure if either of those are right for you!

BennVenn Aioli

Funny playing laminated IPS

Humphreys posted:

It's not 100% (and wet in the photo) but looking OK. Not really deep enough for me though so once dry I think I might give it another bath and see if it stacks.

Coming along quite nicely!

Chainclaw posted:

I spent over 10 hours today working on this project.

My goal was to control gameplay elements in Zelda 3 from my synthesizer, and vice versa, control the synthesizer from the game.

The end result is, I'm changing the color of different gameplay elements based on different tracks. Bass line changes the hearts on the hud, kick changes Link's border. The lead changes some background elements.

Based on Link's X and Y position, I periodically change the instruments in use for the kick, snare, bass, and lead tracks.
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3WpRzVcd4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU98J9jlY2A

I'm not sure if you were the one that posted something very similar to this a while back but I'm happy to see continuing work on this project!

_____! fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 29, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mode 7 posted:

It'd be pretty grouse, mate

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

While this was very true for older as it became viable to dump certain types of ROM and protections became properly emulated, it's not quite as true nowadays - the changes made to ROMS are less common nowadays, so you can usually update the emulator while keeping ROMS from a few versions ago. I mean, you're not gonna be able to use a ROMset from like 10, 20 years ago, but once you've got one modern version's set, you'll be okay for a while unless you want to update once a month (and it's pretty easy once you know where and how!)

Where and how

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found the Famicom's E.T.

No, it wasn't piled up in a landfill to make an artificial island in Tokyo Bay or anything like that. But it is a game that people point to as the herald of the end of an oversaturated market.

I've brought up a few times how many baseball games there are on the Famicom. 1989 was the peak of that as every major game publisher released a baseball game except Koei and Capcom (Capcom had a baseball adventure game at the very tail end of 1988). Over 10% of all Famicom games released in 1989 were baseball games. On top of that, there were situations like Konami and Namco releasing a baseball game every six months; Namco released Famista '89 and '90 in 1989 just five months apart. There was a lot of baseball.

And the quality was pretty bad. I don't just mean "baseball games suck". The three established baseball franchises had one of their worst releases. And a lot of people were making sloppy carbon copies of Famista, only with even less to them. Which brings me to Irem's Major League.

The title and box art were taken from the Charlie Sheen comedy released that year, but that was the only thing taken from the movie. No characters, no onfield antics, nothing. The game has a mix of American teams, Japanese teams, and "all-star" teams jumbled together. Basically one division from each but they didn't break them up. And the only game mode is to play one single game. No league play or pennent race, just pick out two teams, you even set up the computer's team for them, and then nine innings.

Basically, it was the lowest of the low effort baseball games that had completely flooded the Famicom market in 1989, so some people point to it as the breaking point. I actually don't think it was since a few more companies try their hand at launching a baseball franchise.

This did explain a few things about the released on the same day Choujin Ultra Baseball aka Baseball Simulator 1.000. The Famicom version launched in two editions, the regular game and a "special' limited edition version. The other version had a different box and cart label, plus a phone card. Also, it's trivially easy to find sealed cases of the game to this day...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zarikov posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for Gameboy Color screen backlight kits / drop in replacement LCDs? I feel like I may have missed the bus on this and lots of these are out there but either unavailable or don't have a ton of external reviews. Just wondering if anyone recently had a good experience with one.

I would assume the drop-ins are going to have better colors, but I don't mind the work of doing a backlight kit if that's a better overall outcome.

The funnyplaying laminated screen is so incredible that I actually prefer it to the analog pocket

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I found the Famicom's E.T.

No, it wasn't piled up in a landfill to make an artificial island in Tokyo Bay or anything like that. But it is a game that people point to as the herald of the end of an oversaturated market.

I've brought up a few times how many baseball games there are on the Famicom. 1989 was the peak of that as every major game publisher released a baseball game except Koei and Capcom (Capcom had a baseball adventure game at the very tail end of 1988). Over 10% of all Famicom games released in 1989 were baseball games. On top of that, there were situations like Konami and Namco releasing a baseball game every six months; Namco released Famista '89 and '90 in 1989 just five months apart. There was a lot of baseball.

And the quality was pretty bad. I don't just mean "baseball games suck". The three established baseball franchises had one of their worst releases. And a lot of people were making sloppy carbon copies of Famista, only with even less to them. Which brings me to Irem's Major League.

The title and box art were taken from the Charlie Sheen comedy released that year, but that was the only thing taken from the movie. No characters, no onfield antics, nothing. The game has a mix of American teams, Japanese teams, and "all-star" teams jumbled together. Basically one division from each but they didn't break them up. And the only game mode is to play one single game. No league play or pennent race, just pick out two teams, you even set up the computer's team for them, and then nine innings.

Basically, it was the lowest of the low effort baseball games that had completely flooded the Famicom market in 1989, so some people point to it as the breaking point. I actually don't think it was since a few more companies try their hand at launching a baseball franchise.

This did explain a few things about the released on the same day Choujin Ultra Baseball aka Baseball Simulator 1.000. The Famicom version launched in two editions, the regular game and a "special' limited edition version. The other version had a different box and cart label, plus a phone card. Also, it's trivially easy to find sealed cases of the game to this day...

Why were there so many baseball games released? Was baseball super popular in Japan in the 80s?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mariooncrack posted:

Why were there so many baseball games released? Was baseball super popular in Japan in the 80s?

It was and still is. Baseball is equal in popularity to here in the US.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Baseball was and is very popular in Japan, and Famista/RBI Baseball was a huge critical and commercial success. What's a bandwagon if nobody's riding it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

One theory I saw was Super Mario Bros. 3. Seriously.

Apparently for the first year after SMB3's release, it was impossible to get a copy. So people would go looking for SMB3, couldn't find it, and then baseball was an easy alternative choice. Baseball games sold well regardless of quality and game companies have always wanted to cash in on trends and make copies of whatever sold for someone else, and it just came to a head in 1989 with everyone going all in on baseball.

There definitely was a small baseball boom in Japan at the time. And a weird factor in that was the Americans. While Americans had played baseball in Japan before, the mid-80s saw a rush of good-but-not-great American players signing onto Japanese teams and then dominating. So it was an era where all these big players were bringing attention to the sport. Not that baseball wasn't popular before that, just that it was one of those things that pulled people in.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 29, 2022

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Here's something potentially great, currently in the early stages of research. A system-agnostic CD ODE that should work with any console.
https://twitter.com/_ramapcsx2/status/1508835574643412998

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 29, 2022

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

According to Crystalis, the world ended on October 1st, 1997. Nothing else has been real since then.

I just started playing this the other day so it tripped me up for a second reading this. Having a good time with it so far.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Digging into a failed/cancelled mid-90's MMORPG type-thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6SXzmcqPY

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did he show that off before? I feel like I've seen this same footage in another youtube video.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think he previewed it in another video as something g coming soon while he researched it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The deal for my Analogue Pocket fell through if anyone else is interested. Like I said before, about for an eBay average minus the fees I’d have to pay if I sold there.:)

I’ll post an SAMart thread later if no one takes it up soon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Everdrive for N64 is broken, so I need a replacement. :( What timing. But I would much rather the Everdrive staff be safe and healthy. Can wait until things are back to normal for Ukraine.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Just checked what I paid for some 32X games when I bought one in 2012 and Knuckles Chaotix was $33 and Kolibri was $15. Checking their ebay prices now… :shepspends:

E: (both $150 cart only, haha what a fun bubble)

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 29, 2022

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
"bubble"

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Just checked what I paid for some 32X games when I bought one in 2012 and Knuckles Chaotix was $33 and Kolibri was $15. Checking their ebay prices now… :shepspends:

E: (both $150 cart only, haha what a fun bubble)

I paid about the same for Chaotix in that same time period and it was a tough pill to swallow. My 32X was $10 and I wasn’t even sure if that was worth it. Absolutely insane how the market just blew up.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There's a sealed 32X going for AU$1300 at a store near me.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Glad I impulse bought mine before things exploded.

Well, maybe not impulse bought, more "gave in to the siren song of 32X ROMs mixed in with all the Genesis and Sega CD files."

I could play everything else, dammit! When you think about it, it's really all krikzz's fault...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's funny to me that the 32x, home of games like primal rage and toughman contest, is now worth that kind of amount

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Sega stuff (sorta), today my game gear cartridge adapter arrived for my Pocket. No shipping notification or order update from Analogue, so anybody else with stuff in a group A order should keep eyes out. Threw a EDGG X7 in there and now I'm doing what nintendon't :cool:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
At that point, who wants to pay good money just so they can play Tempo?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

it's funny to me that the 32x, home of games like primal rage and toughman contest, is now worth that kind of amount

Also home to a port of doom, that, while not the best is automatically fairly important, the definitive version of Virtua racing, arguably until the recent switch port (there is still an argument to be made that the 32x version remains definitive), the only home port of Star Wars arcade, one of the best ports of Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam, etc

The 32x catches a lot of poo poo, but it’s tiny library has some gems. Also, the Doom Resurrection project proves that the 32x had a lot more horsepower that devs could have tapped if they’d had longer to work with the console and if Sega had put their weight behind it.

Yeah, it was also home to some stinkers (do not ask how many hours young childe Jim Silly-Balls put into Motocross Championship), but there is some enjoyable stuff there too

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 32x catches a lot of poo poo, but it’s tiny library has some gems.

Yeah. Not mentioned in your post, but the port of Virtua Fighter 1 is also very unique and honestly feels like a better game than the original. Completely headed by a US team who (so the legend goes) pissed off AM2 so much with their audacity that Sega threw that team's Eternal Champion series into the bin, never to be seen again.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

do not ask how many hours young childe Jim Silly-Balls put into Motocross Championship

Jesus... This is one of the worst games ever made and a young child being stuck with nothing else to play for days... rough. Trauma-inducing, potentially.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
It probably doesn’t help that there isn’t a 32x Mister core (yet). I was surprised to see that when i set up my mister, but it turns out having to do the programming for the Genesis and the 32X at the same time may be too much for the FPGA.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

VladimirLeninpest posted:

It probably doesn’t help that there isn’t a 32x Mister core (yet). I was surprised to see that when i set up my mister, but it turns out having to do the programming for the Genesis and the 32X at the same time may be too much for the FPGA.

The 32x architecture is absurd. Not only does it have to stay in perfect sync with the Mega Drive + CD at all times, but it also uses a dual SH2 CPU, the same as the Saturn. Maybe if the Saturn core is ever finished, that work will be used here too, but until then, no one's going to bother to reproduce those specs on a FPGA.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Of all the stupid retrogame pricing, that's the one that doesn't surprise me. When it comes to collectables, the stuff that has some natural value and holds it a long time are the failures. The general pool of retrogame collectors is pretty consistent and there's a lot fewer of those failures to go around because nobody wanted them when they were new. So your 32x's, Saturns, Virtual Boys all wind up being hot items.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Jaguars are $500 lol

Also the best thing to come from the 32x was this

https://youtu.be/bhoFZ9rSYPs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Jesus... This is one of the worst games ever made and a young child being stuck with nothing else to play for days... rough. Trauma-inducing, potentially.

It was so bad (and not in a power glove way either). I was obsessed with dirt bikes though so between that and Motocross Maniacs ok the Gameboy, I sunk a lot of hours in.

I can remember my Dpad thumb going numb from it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/5cxGwV5.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Who knew that they distributed N64 marketing guides on the DS.