Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I will say the worse at performance a car is the more I'll forgive style over function on stuff like wheels and ride height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Free possum! :3:

A friend has just seen this boy here
https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1507416176913051651?t=1_BnJ0JeTEBjovOm6GJXnQ&s=19

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I don't know exactly what it was, but it was huge and it was awesome.

(Outback for scale)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Going to say 79 D300 Crew Cab.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had a '77 Chevy crew cab 1 ton 4wd with full length bed, later sold it and bought a '86 f350 crew cab with full length bed and 4wd with lockers, 460v8. I ended up welding a gooseneck trailer hitch adapter for it and then we towed a 30' sailboat over the Colorado Rockies with a carburetor. Did not like that, only time I've used 4wd L on the highway. Do not recommend. It later became my first car when I turned 16, was 24' long and got about 8mpg with a tailwind, would not go through most drive through windows

Edit: f350 had a cop spotlight on the lower driver's side windshield for god knows why, plus the hi beam switch was a foot pedal with the world's most satisfying click, plus 1/4" rubber mats, was maybe a logging truck in a previous life

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 29, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It seems like spotlights were just more popular back in thebday. My dad's 80 something GMC Stakebed also had a spotlight I don't think I ever saw in action.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm going to devise a floor switch high beam kit and retire

Every 3 you buy I'll throw in a suicide knob for the steering wheel.
:clint:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BigPaddy posted:

Almost dead on, the grille would make that a 74-76

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

It seems like spotlights were just more popular back in thebday. My dad's 80 something GMC Stakebed also had a spotlight I don't think I ever saw in action.

I turned mine on (the resting position being pointed at the driver's chest) and promptly blinded myself, never bothered to gently caress with that thing again. 1 million candlepower or something ridiculous like that, 24 inches from your eyeballs

probably real easy to find your keys if you drop them though

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

slidebite posted:

I'm going to devise a floor switch high beam kit and retire

Every 3 you buy I'll throw in a suicide knob for the steering wheel.
:clint:

My wife had shoulder surgery and I managed to find a suicide knob for her 2003 MB C240. It worked.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suburban Dad posted:

Please expand and elaborate on this hot take

No.

OK, a little. The Corvette is a Personal Sports Coupe, not really a sports car, at least by the 3rd, maybe 2nd generation. Don't get me wrong - I like them, but they're no MG or Miata. It's a V8 2-seat cruiser, or, for the current and recent models, getting close to an exotic.
It's debatable, certainly. My personal definition of a sports car says the 'Vette is too heavy, luxurious, and V8 to be a "sports car." I'm not sure where that puts MGB-V8s, Sunbeam Tigers, and Austin Healeys with V8s...

Dakar Supra! (?)

BigPaddy posted:

Best part is they used that same basic body all the way up '91 (maybe '92?). My dad's '91 3/4-ton Cummins looks just like that, though extended rather than double cab, with an updated grill with square headlights.

Buddy of mine has a crewcab '81-'87 Chevy 1-ton dually Camper Special with a 454. That thing is huge. I've never seen it move, but I'd guess maybe 9MPG on a good day, unloaded. He's also got a single-cab shortbed of the same generation, and keeps joking about putting the single cab on the 1-ton chassis, and lengthening the bed to 10'. I'm OK with that if he puts the crewcab on the sing SWB chassis and shortens the bed like an Explorer Sportrac.

Hadlock posted:

I turned mine on (the resting position being pointed at the driver's chest) and promptly blinded myself, never bothered to gently caress with that thing again. 1 million candlepower or something ridiculous like that, 24 inches from your eyeballs

probably real easy to find your keys if you drop them though

...you're supposed to turn it around first. The one on my Crown Vic needs the sliding contacts cleaned. It's a little flaky when rotated. I have actually used it when driving out in the very dark sticks. Better than high beams!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wonder if people who get pedantic about the use of "sport" as a descriptor when it comes to cars also get similarly put out by the existence of sports jackets.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

'Vette is too heavy, luxurious

Luxurious parts bin interior that begins rattling and squeaking before the warranty runs out. Yes, that's that stuff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Luxurious parts bin interior that begins rattling and squeaking before the warranty runs out. Yes, that's that stuff.

Came here to post this. My Z06 was a lot of things, but luxurious certainly wasn’t one of them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty sure I mentioned this previously, but my 1999 996 has less interior squeaks and rattles than my 2019 Silverado.

And the 996 wasn't exactly renowned for a high end interior.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Amsterdam before cycle paths were installed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Pretty sure I mentioned this previously, but my 1999 996 has less interior squeaks and rattles than my 2019 Silverado.

And the 996 wasn't exactly renowned for a high end interior.

This probably has more to do with the fact that a full sized pickup truck puts chassis rigidity somewhere lower on the priority list compared to a 911.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Floppy chassis made out of noodles is the best for hauling 14 tons.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finger Prince posted:

This probably has more to do with the fact that a full sized pickup truck puts chassis rigidity somewhere lower on the priority list compared to a 911.
A modern pick up truck is built on a pretty rigid frame and they actually ride pretty well, but I'm talking just general poor quality of interior in general.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Best part is they used that same basic body all the way up '91 (maybe '92?). My dad's '91 3/4-ton Cummins looks just like that, though extended rather than double cab, with an updated grill with square headlights.

You can really tell that it's an ancient chassis design too, my old '89 Cummins was definitely in the hearing damage range at interstate speeds just from road noise, with a relatively quiet exhaust. More often than not my buddy that I always ended up doing cross country trips with broke out the ear defenders.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LimaBiker posted:

Amsterdam before cycle paths were installed.

Wrong thread. I mean yeah there are awesome cars in that photo but a city flooded with cars is pretty terrible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

A modern pick up truck is built on a pretty rigid frame and they actually ride pretty well, but I'm talking just general poor quality of interior in general.

Yup on both points. My '70 C10 frame is so noodly that if you jack it up from one side of the front crossmember instead of the center, you'll flex the frame enough that you can get one wheel off with the other firmly planted. My '18 Canyon, thanks to the wonders of modern engineering, is so stiff that if you pick it up from anywhere along the front (other than the control arms) both wheels come up.

The ride quality on the Canyon is fine in most cases, it's not so rough that it justifies way more interior rattles. And yes, there are a couple of rattles on mine already, compared to my '13 CR-V that had none even after far more miles. Strangely enough the cabin of a cheap domestic diesel pickup is actually significantly quieter at highway speeds than that CR-V was. We're not talking early-GMT400 levels of plastic resonating on every bump here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Fine. Attempted luxury.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I wonder if people who get pedantic about the use of "sport" as a descriptor when it comes to cars also get similarly put out by the existence of sports jackets.

It's a personal definition/line I draw. You don't like it? Don't draw it there. You won't offend me.
I've always been amused by sports jackets - why do they even call them that?

BTW - a hot dog is a sandwich.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

Because they were originally designed for sport, specifically hunting.

Modern sport jackets have often lost some of the features that were originally present, but the origin is the same.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

From when it was appropriate to wear for certain sports for a certain (british) class. Things like horseback riding, hunting and skeet.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Shai-Hulud posted:

Wrong thread. I mean yeah there are awesome cars in that photo but a city flooded with cars is pretty terrible.

I think the awesome part is to see how stuff has improved for both drivers and cyclists in 40ish years time.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LimaBiker posted:

I think the awesome part is to see how stuff has improved for both drivers and cyclists in 40ish years time.

Well post an "after" picture to compare it too then!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well post an "after" picture to compare it too then!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Ew, the Netherlands is all lumpy now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Toyota made a 2+2 MR aerocabin convertible concept which kinda bangs.

https://twitter.com/strange_car/status/1509562121025363968?s=20&t=4FFY7Pwx41EXUAyHJ2Oeyw

Also found out in 1991 they designed this superlight (992lbs/450kg) FR sports car powered by a little supercharged 804cc 2 stroke. The AXV-IV :3:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Toyota made a 2+2 MR aerocabin convertible concept which kinda bangs.

https://twitter.com/strange_car/status/1509562121025363968?s=20&t=4FFY7Pwx41EXUAyHJ2Oeyw

Also found out in 1991 they designed this superlight (992lbs/450kg) FR sports car powered by a little supercharged 804cc 2 stroke. The AXV-IV :3:

It's almost, kinda, sorta, like they passed on the design and then the Fiat coupe came out a couple of years later.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I don't know if it's the color, light or what, but that looks fake as hell.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

It's almost, kinda, sorta, like they passed on the design and then the Fiat coupe came out a couple of years later.

Barchetta, the couple is very different from that design.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Barchetta, the couple is very different from that design.

:hmmyes:
Good call. Especially in orange.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Discuss the looks all you want but nobody has mentioned the weight whilst being more of a car than a Caterham? This is the future we should've had!!

Anyway, this is cool.

https://twitter.com/livinlikelalli/status/1509875513275437062?s=20&t=QwuQXt9sDtR6Ty12VB7fbA

*edit: more heat

https://twitter.com/f_Sil80/status/1509725379455746054?s=20&t=As7fgHHEnnGHd_5b_xuMiA

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 1, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

It's like if someone looked at a 3D model that I created and took the coloring as literal.

America
Apr 26, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

:hmmyes:
Good call. Especially in orange.

Must be what the Weinermobile looks like when they remove the hot dog for maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Someone in my neighborhood has this amazing awesomeness in their driveway all of a sudden. I showed my wife and she immediately said, "No, do not buy one of those." They aren't even for sale.