Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vandar posted:

Batman '89 was the only real choice of skin for Knight. :colbert:

It looked so loving good, even if it was a little weird to see him turn his head. I loved the alternate costumes, I switched them out all the time during my playthroughs of City and Knight (I wish Origins had a cheat like City to let you change before beating the game, it had some of my favourite costumes and I wish I got to spend more time with the Gotham by Gaslight costume. Also that the '66 and Knightfall stuff wasn't Playstation exclusive).

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I'm baffled why they did a Tim/Barbara romance in the Arkham games. It makes no sense at all and is just super distracting.

It is super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I'm baffled why they did a Tim/Barbara romance in the Arkham games. It makes no sense at all and is just super distracting.

Barbara was established as being young enough that Dick would be weird so Tim effectively fits the same role.

It makes sense in the context of the game setting, not the comic setting.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

afaik they planned to use Stephanie Brown and DC made them switch her out

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Goddamit. Fuckin' Didio I swear.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Didio is gone now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

That makes sense as DiDio had a bug up his butt about 'brand confusion' which boiled down to mean only Barbara could be Batgirl.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vandar posted:

That's exactly it lol. That's as far from being Tim Drake as humanly possible.

Tim is a thinker, out of all the Robins he's the detective, and he's drat good at it. He's the observer, the planner. He's not some always pissed-off buzzed-head rear end in a top hat. They just completely hosed his character in every possible way.

Gotcha. Yeah, that's probably why that's all I remembered about that Tim, since he's "my" Robin and I thought the take on his character was really off-putting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

That makes sense as DiDio had a bug up his butt about 'brand confusion' which boiled down to mean only Barbara could be Batgirl.

Yeah, Steph's one of my favourite characters, I just didn't expect the answer to this question being Didio being an rear end in a top hat about female legacy characters after New52. Again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If they were really aching for a Batgirl, maybe they shouldn't have made Killing Joke canon in their universe for the sake of having a AAA game voice in your ear.

Coulda been freakin' Alfred in the Batcave anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

If they were really aching for a Batgirl, maybe they shouldn't have made Killing Joke canon in their universe for the sake of having a AAA game voice in your ear.

Coulda been freakin' Alfred in the Batcave anyway.

The original game was way more comic themed. It was only in City they walked some of that back.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Arkham Asylum was just "here's a Batman game, so here's a bunch of stuff from the comics", with City they established it as it's own universe.

You can see this with the character profiles, in Asylum Jack Ryder is a cameo voice on a radio which when you scan you get a profile of The Creeper. In City and Knight the character is just a dickhead reporter with no sign of a superhero alter-ego.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4Vf0UKcXw
A video about the rough development of X-Men Destiny.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4Vf0UKcXw
A video about the rough development of X-Men Destiny.

My God. I remember the fiasco that went down on the official Hero HQ forums....that game failed so hard, sadly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Silicon Knights made that during the Unreal Engine court disaster.

SK wasn't even completely in the wrong, Dyack was just such a tremendous rear end in a top hat he doomed them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Dyack really didn't like X-Men and didn't want to make a licensed game, but they needed the money.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Back on HeroHQ, we knew something was up when the developers stopped having the regular Q&As and what little they did answer was cryptic at best when we had people from Beenox for Spider-Man and Vicarious Visions for M:UA 2 active quite a bit when their games were in development and for a while after they launched. The XMD devs just disappeared basically.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-Men Legends isn't available in the wild except from dubious sites, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There might be used copies floating around, but yeah, it was delisted from digital storefronts and all unsold physical copies were destroyed as part of the suit settlement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

There might be used copies floating around, but yeah, it was delisted from digital storefronts and all unsold physical copies were destroyed as part of the suit settlement.

That's Destiny. He's asking about Legends, the ones that preceded Ultimate Alliance.

X-Men Legends 1 was a console only game in the GCN/PS2/Xbox era so it never had a digital release to begin with.

X-Men Legends 2 was on PC but wasn't on Steam or anything. It may have also had digital releases but they would have been delisted when Activision's license ran out. 2 is possibly considered abandonware now though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Even those (apparently busted and not worth buying at release) Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 "remasters" aren't available on PC any more. It's a shame that a traditional way to buy that whole series has been lost to time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Roms of X-Men Legends 1 and 2 are pretty easy to get a hold of, but outside of used copies I don't think there's any legal way to get them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although from what I remember unless you really want that X-Men story you're probably better off playing Ultimate Alliance 1 which is superior in every way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I remember about Legends 1 is that there was a level on the astral plane and it let you play as Professor X and he was massively overleveled, which I thought was a nice touch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I remember Legends 1 being better than 2. But I can't remember much of either game or why. UA 1 is definitely the best of all those though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I played L2 and there was a bunch h of fun poo poo like specific costumes or team mates giving you boosts. I think Iron Man was hilariously busted due to a glitch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't remember if it was XML2 or MUA but Iceman had an aura skill that slowed the enemy and if you hit a mob with one of his ice balls that slow and have them in the aura at the same time, they basically slowed to a crawl rendering them completely helpless and vulnerable. Broke the game pretty much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked spamming Doc Strange's ability that turned people into boxes, it was like a percentile chance, but super cheap so you could just hit enemies a bunch with it until it worked. I think Scarlet Witch had the same ability in XML2

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Because there were so many different characters with different abilities in MUA1 there were definitely some that kind of fell through the testing cracks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Although it did tickle me as a long-time comics reader you've got the first boss battle with like Cap, Thor and Iron Man struggling against Mysterio.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dawgstar posted:

Although it did tickle me as a long-time comics reader you've got the first boss battle with like Cap, Thor and Iron Man struggling against Mysterio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wPNYJNMYE

Counterpoint, Mysterio has a huge health bar!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-Men Legends was one of the few times I remember using the PlayStations multi tap or whatever it was called, and it was a great time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
XML1, 2, and MUA1 are all incredibly good times and it's criminal that they're as hard to get ahold of as they are.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I bought MUA3 during the pandemic and absolutely hated it. I don’t know how but it just felt so unfun to play and it was SUPER grindy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Because there were so many different characters with different abilities in MUA1 there were definitely some that kind of fell through the testing cracks.

My (least) favorite was Mr. Fantastic's ability that just turned him into a ball and let you roll around doing damage like a pinball. If you leveled that thing up like once or twice, he was a death machine. Drove me crazy because I played with my brothers back in the day and one of them got Reed and I was stuck going "would you let me loving do something?" because it seemed like they'd clear rooms of enemies before I could even land more than a couple of web balls or whatever.

omg chael crash posted:

I bought MUA3 during the pandemic and absolutely hated it. I don’t know how but it just felt so unfun to play and it was SUPER grindy

Yeah there's a spark of a good idea in that game but it's weighed down with so much bullshit it's wild.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I got MUA3 as a gift and while it has some tangible, inexcusable bullshit (like characters having to be levelled up individually, and voice performances where it seems like no one ever did a second take) I had a pretty good time playing around them

Might have been less amused if I had paid for it myself, though

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

It's really bad. The grinding for anything is terrible and repetitive. If you don't stick with the same 4 people the whole game and mix others in you'll be underleveled. If you want a different costume you need to grind. Grind grind and replay the same levels without any variety or different conversations depending on who is in the party.

It's like a budget title without a lot of the love the other games had.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I played a ton of MUA3 during the pandemic. For some reason it really clicked for me. It's absolutely full of grinding and almost all the costumes and poo poo is built on what were called "danger room programs" in xmen legends (i forget what they call them in MUA). There's a small number of extremely good characters and a bunch of fairly good characters and then it's bottom barrel for the rest.

I 100% understand and agree with the people who called the game grindy. There's no excuse for the amount of grinding in the game, but I will say, get stoned as gently caress and start playing as like phoenix or a spin to win character and you won't care. I honestly didn't notice much difference in the grindy-ness of this one over like MUA or MUA2.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I played a ton of MUA3 during the pandemic. For some reason it really clicked for me. It's absolutely full of grinding and almost all the costumes and poo poo is built on what were called "danger room programs" in xmen legends (i forget what they call them in MUA). There's a small number of extremely good characters and a bunch of fairly good characters and then it's bottom barrel for the rest.

I 100% understand and agree with the people who called the game grindy. There's no excuse for the amount of grinding in the game, but I will say, get stoned as gently caress and start playing as like phoenix or a spin to win character and you won't care. I honestly didn't notice much difference in the grindy-ness of this one over like MUA or MUA2.

I found M:UA and M:UA 2 much less of a grind-fest than M:UA3. I believe for the previous two games, the leveling between characters you didn't use stayed consistent with those you did use. Also, there wasn't any grinding needed for characters, costumes, or anything like that.

I spoke to a Vicarious Visions dev at the time and they wanted to do their best with making things comic book accurate so you had a really strong Hulk but kept Phoenix as a glass cannon so she wouldn't be too OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The main thing that has me feeling warm about MUA3 over the first two games is that it has such fundamentally superior art direction

The colors pop, and everyone is wearing their correct clothes or some rough approximation thereof.

Meanwhile MUA2 in particular has that real nasty still-not-quite-out-of-the-PS2-mindset dingy washed out look