Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Patrick's Parabox

quote:

A mind-bending recursive puzzle game about boxes within boxes within boxes within boxes. Learn to use infinity to your advantage as you explore a deep and elegant system.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256876226/movie480_vp9.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

fez_machine posted:

Semi-procedural Thief-like, Abermore, just got released
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1569220/Abermore/
Was waiting for this one quite a bit. It has most of what I like about Thief but it also has a lot of bugs lol. Mostly graphical this far, I’m 1.5hrs in.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Tunic is challenging as soon as you encounter the shooter monsters which (without a shield? I haven't found one yet) will grind away at you if you aren't precise and careful with them.

From a page ago, but I'm getting close to the end of Tunic and while it's fairly difficult, once you do have the shield and grasp some of the mechanics like sprinting it's pretty forgiving. I can't decide if I love or want to roll my eyes about the game's diegetic tutorial notebook tells you about certain mechanics that are available from the beginning, but not obvious--I lean towards loving it, though. Similarly: Use the poo poo out of bombs. I'm not sure how the mechanic works exactly but when you respawn/sit at a bonfire you get a few of them back for free, and firecrackers will straight up kill big groups of dudes.

One of the other things I'd recommend: use online guides, the game is just made for that poo poo, and I think in a good way. It's a kind of nostalgic thing that I love, and getting a hint in the right direction doesn't feel like cheating.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I just started Tunic and I want to do it mostly blind/without help, but please spoil one thing for me: It's not going to make me decode and hand-translate all the text, is it? It feels like there's just enough Fez in it that I can't rule that out.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Thoom posted:

I just started Tunic and I want to do it mostly blind/without help, but please spoil one thing for me: It's not going to make me decode and hand-translate all the text, is it? It feels like there's just enough Fez in it that I can't rule that out.

I haven't done that since Commander Keen.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Thoom posted:

It starts to slowly do it for you as you find pages but I believe you can brute force it after enough time.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Whew, that's a relief. I might have had the energy to do that kind of thing 20 years ago, but not anymore.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jitsu Squad

A beat em up with 4 player co-op and a bright and colorful art style. The devs describe it as having "the accessibility and classic brawler mechanics of games like Streets of Rage and Final Fight but with the speed and intensity of fighting games games such as Marvel vs. Capcom II, Dragonball FighterZ & Super Smash Bros."

I played a demo of it on itch.io some time ago and it wasn't my cup of tea in terms of what I look for in beat em ups, but the combo mechanics were certainly solid and there was a lot of creativity/styling on enemies possible if you wanted to dig deep into it. Only a couple of reviews for it but they've been positive so far.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256879936/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1648569646

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Thoom posted:

not unless you're doing the 'borderline arg' level secret stuff that comes well after getting the good ending

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ho ho holy no, absolutely no way I'd be able to play this game without going catatonic

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Seems to be fun. I went through the demo and I enjoyed that, but I wonder if it holds up for longer than that.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Play posted:

I never figured out as a kid how minesweeper worked and I've always been too scared to play it since then

My exact experience. It felt so good to read this.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Yeah, Norco starts weird and then just goes "oh yeah, it motherfucking southern gothic scifi time buckle up" its great.

Theres a reference/joke about a local new orleans law firm. GOTY entirely on nailing new orleans

Morris Bart cameo??!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Morris Bart cameo??!!

Yeeeeeep

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Sab Sabbington posted:

From a page ago, but I'm getting close to the end of Tunic and while it's fairly difficult, once you do have the shield and grasp some of the mechanics like sprinting it's pretty forgiving. I can't decide if I love or want to roll my eyes about the game's diegetic tutorial notebook tells you about certain mechanics that are available from the beginning, but not obvious--I lean towards loving it, though. Similarly: Use the poo poo out of bombs. I'm not sure how the mechanic works exactly but when you respawn/sit at a bonfire you get a few of them back for free, and firecrackers will straight up kill big groups of dudes.

One of the other things I'd recommend: use online guides, the game is just made for that poo poo, and I think in a good way. It's a kind of nostalgic thing that I love, and getting a hint in the right direction doesn't feel like cheating.

I will echo the first part... I complained Tunic's combat was rear end in this thread and while I still think they would have been better off going with Zelda combat instead of a rigid version of Souls combat, the fighting is way more fun after you get your toolset. I just beat the arena on my third try and felt good about it.

As for online guides... I've been avoiding anything but in-game hints and nothing has stumped me too much yet. The game likes to throw an obvious goal at you and then refuse to tell you what achieving that goal actually does, but thinking it over and flipping through the book always produces the answer.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Play posted:

This looks cool but I have something to admit: I never figured out as a kid how minesweeper worked and I've always been too scared to play it since then

In Metavaxx, the number on a cell tells you how many infected cells that particular one is touching. You want to avoid shooting uninfected cells but sometimes have no choice because you need to get deeper to the ones you suspect or want to shape the playing field in a way that helps you maneuver.

What I like about the game is that you can absolutely play in a sloppy fashion but your final score won't be the highest. As you get comfortable with the game you understand the nuances and can achieve better final results.

Scut fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 31, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Scut posted:

In Metavaxx, the number on a cell tells you how many infected cells that particular one is touching. You want to avoid shooting uninfected cells but sometimes have no choice because you need to get deeper to the ones you suspect or want to shape the playing field in a way that helps you maneuver.

What I like about the game is that you can absolutely play in a sloppy fashion but your final score won't be the highest. As you get comfortable with the game you understand the nuances and can achieve better final results.

I had a friend who played minesweeper so often that she could clear the highest difficulty settings in ridiculous times, and I couldn't even complete basic mode until she sat me down and explained the patterns and numbers. I can beat one now, I think she has surpassed humanity and ascended to the next plane by this point

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's easy, you click a spot and then a bunch of spaces clear out and then you keep randomly clicking on things until you lose.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crystal Project

quote:

Crystal Project is a non-linear JRPG where you are the maker of your own adventure. Explore the world while you find Crystals, unlock classes, learn abilities, and create a strategy capable of taking down the world's toughest bosses. Or just stick to exploring; it's up to you.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256877622/movie480_vp9.webm

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Welp, there goes my weekend

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Why does it make it look like Andrew Willman died at age 5.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Morpheus posted:

It's easy, you click a spot and then a bunch of spaces clear out and then you keep randomly clicking on things until you lose.

:hmmyes:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256792519/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1626366788

quote:

Survive and unveil the mysteries of the Weird West through the intertwined destinies of its unusual heroes in an immersive sim from the co-creators of Dishonored and Prey.
Positive reviews (87 to 2)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1654680/Red_Wings_American_Aces/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256880317/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1648735486

quote:

Red Wings: American Aces is a thrilling warplane arcade shooter with online and local multiplayer modes. Whiz and swish through vibrant comic book-style skies solo or with friends and win the day!
Sequel to Red Wings: Aces of the Sky. WW1-era arcade dogfighter with campaign but also focus on multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696220/FixFox/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256880287/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1648718862

quote:

Arriving on a curious planet, Vix and her toolbox Tin explore space, fixing machines with unconventional tools and eating cozy meals with kind robot locals. On an epic adventure, the duo repairs an interstellar beacon, constructs giant mechs, and unravels a cosmic mystery that transcends existence.
3 positive, 0 negative reviews.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've been excited for this one as a 'just gently caress around' jrpg with job system to chill out to. the demo was fun. the visuals are nothing special (i think the sprites come from asset packs) but it still has professional polish for a one-person team

Princess Farmer is also out today

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2022

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the exploration looks a lot like CrossCode's, except even more vertical. very tempting

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

So... someone used a voxel engine to build the most generic JRPG clone ever?

EDIT: We need the equivalent of /timg for embedded videos so I can quote without taking up half the screen.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Glitchhikers: The Spaces Between

The full version of a game that had a free small experimental demo back in 2014 which you can still get here: http://silverstringmedia.com/glitchhikers

quote:

Glitchhikers is a surreal journey through the spaces between places. A late night drive, a deserted airport lounge, a moonlit walk through an empty park, a quiet carriage on an overnight train. Who will you meet? What will you talk about? Where will the journey take you? Find yourself along the way.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256878412/movie480_vp9.webm

I liked the demo for this, although I'm not sure how much content in terms of new conversations the final version has. But it's also only $12.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gynovore posted:

So... someone used a voxel engine to build the most generic JRPG clone ever?
it's generic looking for sure (I think it uses a paid asset sprite pack), but the thrust of it is you can kind of go in whatever direction and explore, and there's a job system with lots of classes that you get from finishing quests. so a little bit of a babby ff5/SaGa, and the battle system incorporates FF14-like threat mechanics, and gives you all the info you could possibly need when it comes to enemy data, attack numbers, turn order, etc

it's also $14 so it's not really trying to be a big budget thing. it's meant for a smaller subset of nerds

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

This is on Gamepass and I'm still in the tutorial but it feels kinda clunky to play an immersive sim in an isometric perspective

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

thecluckmeme posted:

It starts to slowly do it for you as you find pages but I believe you can brute force it after enough time.

Wish there had been a page telling me whether upgrade items are temporary status buffs or permanent. I think it's permanent, because I guess it costs money. I'm lugging around these teeth and stuff along with some other items like fox heads that idkwtf, but the ones on the right side of the inventory are clearly paid upgrades. Game will be easier now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

thecluckmeme posted:

I might be misinterpreting what you're saying here, but the pages are static and don't get more translated as the game progresses. All English text you get is there from the moment you get a page. There is a late game page that helps with decoding the language, though.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Ho ho holy no, absolutely no way I'd be able to play this game without going catatonic

For those with similar reactions, I've been playing the main path of Patrick's Parabox and its got an incredibly gentle difficulty curve.

After over 130 puzzles solved each one only takes a few minutes or less, even as it continues to throw Baba is You-like "wow" and "you can do that?" moments at you. (The challenges might be significantly harder and weirder but I'll come back to them later).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Wish there had been a page telling me whether upgrade items are temporary status buffs or permanent. I think it's permanent, because I guess it costs money. I'm lugging around these teeth and stuff along with some other items like fox heads that idkwtf, but the ones on the right side of the inventory are clearly paid upgrades. Game will be easier now.

...yeah, you should really start doing those upgrades ASAP. I believe it will tell you what if upgrades after doing one, so you can tell what does what.

ymgve posted:

I might be misinterpreting what you're saying here, but the pages are static and don't get more translated as the game progresses. All English text you get is there from the moment you get a page. There is a late game page that helps with decoding the language, though.

Right, but does it not creep into the world as you play? If I grabbed a page that translated a word on the page, it would translate in the environment or in the menu? Or maybe that was just the above example of upgrades going from mysteries to known effects

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nope, pages never change nor do words in the environment. Its just you learning what stuff is supposed to mean in Tunic and learning the symbology.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Barudak posted:

Nope, pages never change nor do words in the environment. Its just you learning what stuff is supposed to mean in Tunic and learning the symbology.

One small exception, map pages will show your location on them if you're in that area

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Does Ghostwire Tokyo have its own thread yet? Haven't read/seen any goonpinions about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

anatomi posted:

Does Ghostwire Tokyo have its own thread yet? Haven't read/seen any goonpinions about it.

It's completely "Ok", honestly don't think there's that much to say about it.
The presentation is neat, and the story is interesting enough to want to follow, but the gameplay is very bog-standard "Go here, clear shrine, unlock more collectables and side missions"-collectathon stuff all the way through. Some of the side and main missions are neat, but there's just an insane amount of filler in-between.

I enjoyed it enough, I guess. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it at full price.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

anatomi posted:

It's FarCry: Tokyo without the hijinks of Farcry. Neat theme and if you like Japan you may like this.

Overall the game is "bland". Bland story about a dude trying to save his sister, bland map where you go to a shrine to unlock areas of the map (And several, several, SEVERAL collectibles). Combat is serviceable, but you don't get to experiment much.

I think people who can buy in to the concept, and stay invested despite the blandness, will enjoy the game.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I have like 11 hours into this

My first JRPG was FFIV.
My first JRPG in emulation was FFV.

This game is perfect for me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

thecluckmeme posted:

...yeah, you should really start doing those upgrades ASAP. I believe it will tell you what if upgrades after doing one, so you can tell what does what.

Yeah the game became pretty easy after that. Until the Boss Scavenger. There's one for HP, MP, SP, AT and potion strength. And the cards are on a manual page as well. Throw three large gold coins in a well to get an extra card slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Kenshin posted:

I have like 11 hours into this

My first JRPG was FFIV.
My first JRPG in emulation was FFV.

This game is perfect for me.

I only played the demo a bit, but my impressions weren't great. You have so much ground to cover walking everywhere along a mostly empty minecraft landscape. Does the full game have a way to automate battles against trash mobs? Because smashing the attack command repeatedly doesn't hold up as well as it did 20 years ago in my opinion. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't have the patience for generic jrpg battle systems anymore. Which is a shame, because the job system does look kind of fun.