Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

My friends who were out of town for some nerd thing a week ago that turned into a huge super spreader event mentioned in our group chat that they had just got over being sick. Hopefully they don't start forgetting what numbers are because they both have pretty high-level jobs that require brain cells to function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vanadium posted:

If you fly to a thing and then fly home and after you get home you take a rest and realize you got covid while there, do you go into the new cases stats for where you got it or where you are now?

You took the test at home and you think you're going in the stats at all?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Shiroc posted:

I'm about to have about 300 9210s and 500 9205s. I found out my job will reimburse covid masks so they're paying for them all.

They also paid for me to have a Hello Kitty gamer chair and cat eat headphones since they also pay for 'office chairs' and 'headsets.'
loving a :krad: on several levels god drat

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:sad:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tzen posted:

lol NYTimes sitting at 977,179

lmao

seems the waves operate in 69 day increments, as well they should

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Genuine "asking for (about) a friend", I pretty much haven't left the metro area much less set foot in a plane since 2019.

I've been leaning towards "lol like stats reflect reality at all anymore" anyway but who knows!!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
can we threadban anyone who has had or gets Covid until it’s only me left replying to myself

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dyson/status/1509032673343426560https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1509057709286445059
air-purifying headphones lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

next level dick nosing

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tzen posted:

next level dick nosing

it looks like its a sci fi helmet thats stuck mid-transformation

maybe if you tap the side it covers the rest of his head

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tzen posted:

next level dick nosing

lmao

first pic in particular just loving lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that is some beetleborg rear end poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“What does Marsellus Wallace look like?”

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
fyi china dont report asymptomatic cases, it has done this since 2020. shanghai outbreak is notable in that a lot of the infected r asymptomatic.

u can either take it as a sign that china surveillance is real tite since its catching so many asymptomatics or u can think perfidious china is hiding how bad the situation in shanghai really is by not including asymptomatics

my paraonoia-fueled takeaway is that with this latest omicron wave its totally possible for 2 peeps to meet unmasked outside/a giant wind tunnel, have a quick chat, tjen both going back home feeling totally fine without knowing that one infected the other. or maybe omicron really is mild

https://english.news.cn/20220330/47efa59fa23b440da067a922374153cd/c.html

quote:

2022-03-30 12:44:17

People who follow the daily tally of infections in the Chinese mainland are hard to miss a new trend: the overwhelming majority of new local infections are asymptomatic.

https://english.news.cn/20220330/3a7610322db446c8b9c8d8490a2f7cf7/c.html

quote:

2022-03-30 10:39:45

Of the new local infections, 1,150 were reported in Jilin, 326 in Shanghai, 26 in Henan, and 16 in Heilongjiang.

Tuesday also saw the reporting of 7,196 asymptomatic cases, including 7,090 local ones, according to the commission.

https://www.voanews.com/a/science-health_coronavirus-outbreak_china-officials-exclude-asymptomatic-covid-19-carriers-data/6186569.html (yea the source is voa i know i know)

quote:

March 28, 2020 8:45 PM

Official documents show that China does not count asymptomatic carriers of the virus in its tally of confirmed cases. That practice is not consistent with the World Health Organization's guidance, and it skews the Chinese data that epidemiologists have relied on to model how the virus spreads.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the world health organization should be looking at China's models instead of throwing stones

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
everyone is going insane

this is not hyperbole

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Homocow posted:

everyone is going insane

this is not hyperbole

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
i'm actually going saner

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Tzen posted:

^^^ congrats! sorry but what is a S+++ child?

oh lol, just me bragging and also being a nerd who watches tier list videos all the time on YouTube. B is better than A, A+ is better than A, S is better than A+, S+ is better than S…

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

huhwhat posted:

fyi china dont report asymptomatic cases, it has done this since 2020. shanghai outbreak is notable in that a lot of the infected r asymptomatic.

u can either take it as a sign that china surveillance is real tite since its catching so many asymptomatics or u can think perfidious china is hiding how bad the situation in shanghai really is by not including asymptomatics

my paraonoia-fueled takeaway is that with this latest omicron wave its totally possible for 2 peeps to meet unmasked outside/a giant wind tunnel, have a quick chat, tjen both going back home feeling totally fine without knowing that one infected the other. or maybe omicron really is mild

https://english.news.cn/20220330/47efa59fa23b440da067a922374153cd/c.html

https://english.news.cn/20220330/3a7610322db446c8b9c8d8490a2f7cf7/c.html

https://www.voanews.com/a/science-health_coronavirus-outbreak_china-officials-exclude-asymptomatic-covid-19-carriers-data/6186569.html (yea the source is voa i know i know)

You also have footage like this where everyone is "asymptomatic"

https://twitter.com/LeaningEmma/status/1507620022356787201

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Death By The Blues posted:

You also have footage like this where everyone is "asymptomatic"
(..)

I think it is reasonable to assume "asymptomatic" is often "presymptomatic", so unless you make a continual conversion when people start showing symptoms, the stats will end up looking like they do.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Whatever happens they are expecting to be hit hard:

https://twitter.com/LeaningEmma/status/1508028452108177408

https://twitter.com/zigoraldama/status/1508460078558556167

https://twitter.com/leaningshane/status/1507283252234489856

They are basically just gonna round up anyone with an infection and hold them till they no longer test positive regardless of severity. If they manage to actually contain this wave, gonna be embarrassing for everyone else

Death By The Blues has issued a correction as of 09:53 on Mar 30, 2022

coke
Jul 12, 2009
lol or that could be the death sentence for them all since they are just stewing everyone in the viral particles

one thing i always wondered was the amount of viral load and the severity, if everyone are just maxing out the viral load for their exposure then wouldnt it just make it really bad for everyone?

it was also the question on how it can infect people in the first place eg. people wearing ok mask all the time get a tiny load and test asymptomatic vs someone with no mask and got a huge load end up having severe outcome

also i wonder if that's how people with 2/3 mrna vax might still get delta, if the viral load was high enough

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

It's weird as hell seeing a government take proactive steps to deal with something threatening the well being of their citizens
Why aren't they waiting for the hospitalizations and deaths!?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Pretty hosed up not letting their population get nature's vaccine, so they can stop living in fear and traumatizing kids with masks.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Platystemon posted:

You need to see this.

at least the [my university] leadership who said "no mask mandate and you can't request people wear masks" are aggressively betting on the policy themselves by going maskless around campus, in meetings, etc

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Tzen posted:

next level dick nosing

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

at least the [my university] leadership who said "no mask mandate and you can't request people wear masks" are aggressively betting on the policy themselves by going maskless around campus, in meetings, etc

"The odds of not landing on 32 again must be astronomical!" *shoves kids on to the roulette table*

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
today I was in a meeting where someone asked “how long are you going to wear the respirator?”

got to hijack the meeting to overlay the plateau between peaks on a huge monitor in front of our entire leadership and circle the “you are here” part before everything the united states does to suppress case numbers, pointing out all the parts where if I manipulated data the same way the CDC did I’d expect to be fired

this is the fifth time I’ve done this presentation

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Petey posted:

The College I work at removed the mask mandate for hallways, but you're still required to wear them in a classroom.

Kind of COVID to refrain from infecting people while just walking around campus.

Sep 2, 2011
would it be worth it to think about bringing a portable air purifier to a dental appointment i have in like 2 weeks? (that is if i keep it - i'm in the US) would it even make a difference? i have a corsi cube i'm putting together this weekend but i dunno if it's also worth having a portable solution for instances like the dentist.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

loading... posted:

would it be worth it to think about bringing a portable air purifier to a dental appointment i have in like 2 weeks? (that is if i keep it - i'm in the US) would it even make a difference? i have a corsi cube i'm putting together this weekend but i dunno if it's also worth having a portable solution for instances like the dentist.

bring the corsi cube and see if they let you plug in the whirring mystery box

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bastard Tetris posted:

today I was in a meeting where someone asked “how long are you going to wear the respirator?”

got to hijack the meeting to overlay the plateau between peaks on a huge monitor in front of our entire leadership and circle the “you are here” part before everything the united states does to suppress case numbers, pointing out all the parts where if I manipulated data the same way the CDC did I’d expect to be fired

this is the fifth time I’ve done this presentation

Share the PowerPoint.

Sep 2, 2011

blatman posted:

bring the corsi cube and see if they let you plug in the whirring mystery box

honestly my trust is so low that i wish i could without looking like an insane chris farley character

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bastard Tetris posted:

Shouting to someone in a rainstorm: “How long are you going to keep holding that umbrella?”

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

loading... posted:

Let me know if that works. I'm tempted to bring my portable purifier when I see my dentist next.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

loading... posted:

I don't think the air purifier will help if the dentist coughes into your mouth. And also I'm pretty sure you'd have to start it up quite some time before the appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can just ask your dentist to wear a mask