Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Silver ruled but he would not fit with current Pok駑on where smell ya later would be considered too crude and edgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Could you imagine having a mean jerk rival with daddy issues who constantly talks down to you despite losing all the time but ends the game in a much better place and acting nicer? That sounds super out of place after Bede.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

The Last Call posted:

Got a free code here for Pokemon Legends: Arceus, it's from the Uk so it may or may not work elsewhere.

E2010SUFE735P948

If you take it and get it to work make a reply so people know not to bother trying once claimed.

I tried this in the US and it didn't work.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kinda would be interested if they made a rival that genuinely was hard to beat and could actually push your collective poo poo in. Like give them heavy hitter pokemon like pseudo legendaries and they're all over leveled for that point of the game. It's hard to recreate the feeling of a rival being an actual challenge and someone you have to push yourself to compete with but I get the feeling Gamefreak ain't really trying. I would love it if they gave us a rival who was just generally uninterested and we're the ones who have to initiate battles where they can easily kick the poo poo out of you. Frankly it's the only way I can find making a rival interesting. Almost every other case is just you as the main character collectively running a train on them. I'd love it if it really felt like an accomplishment beating them like the Volo fight.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
If nothing else they should give rivals the Red-from-Gold/Silver treatment in the post game. Put them on top of a mountain looking forlorn and everything

I do appreciate how they keep iterating on the rival formula. It doesn't always work, but it's not Gary Oak every game

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I guess rivals are okay since they mostly serve as a test for the player's team, but I'd like it if the narrative got away from the rival character for a bit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Just started Legends Arceus - playing as the girl entirely because she has the cuter hat. Anyway, do I ever get a compass in this game? Feel like it'd be useful.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

StandardVC10 posted:

Just started Legends Arceus - playing as the girl entirely because she has the cuter hat. Anyway, do I ever get a compass in this game? Feel like it'd be useful.

Abuse the 'Flag' marker-setter on your map until you get more familiar with a zone, and even after that it remains incredibly useful.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

Abuse the 'Flag' marker-setter on your map until you get more familiar with a zone, and even after that it remains incredibly useful.

Yeah plant a flag on the map and then turn the camera until it's right in front of you. The numbers underneath tick down the closer you get.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I had forgotten how despondent the rival in X/Y gets when you put a big ol whoopin on them. It痴 funny but also a bit grim

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I had forgotten how despondent the rival in X/Y gets when you put a big ol whoopin on them. It痴 funny but also a bit grim

It's really weird how every single main rival from XY on just has the near exact same arc of "family member is really good/well-known trainer and i get depressed because the player keeps kicking my poo poo in".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just merge Trever and Tierno, and Shauna and Calem/Serena

RSE/ORAS did two rivals really well; you've got the "I'm just doing this for fun while helping the professor" friend/neighbor, and "I want to grow stronger" newbie stories covered well

Dawn/Lucas and Barry also fit, as do Bianca and Cheren, and Bede and Mary respectively

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Just merge Trever and Tierno, and Shauna and Calem/Serena

RSE/ORAS did two rivals really well; you've got the "I'm just doing this for fun while helping the professor" friend/neighbor, and "I want to grow stronger" newbie stories covered well

Dawn/Lucas and Barry also fit, as do Bianca and Cheren, and Bede and Mary respectively

Bianca and Cheren are probably one of the better examples because they have fleshed out motivations and you actually see them get real jobs later. Bianca is just happy to get out of the house and be her own person while Charon gets a slice of humble pie and becomes gym leader.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Does anyone have a shiny petilil or a shiny meltan they'd be willing to trade to me for a few minutes so I can log them in Pokemon Home? If there's a spare I've got plenty of shinies to permanently trade, but if you just have the one I'm happy to return either to you.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The theme for battling Arceus in BDSP is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCcd0vn5Rqo

It took away the pain of trying to catch them before they ran out of moves and knocked themselves out with struggle. I eventually got them in a Quick Ball on my 4-5th go around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Didn't the Red/Blue rivals have different teams depending on if they won/lost the rival fights? Always wondered if they had different dialogues or story arcs if they won a lot, bu also not sure if mechanically them beating the player is ever feasible.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Didn't the Red/Blue rivals have different teams depending on if they won/lost the rival fights? Always wondered if they had different dialogues or story arcs if they won a lot, bu also not sure if mechanically them beating the player is ever feasible.

Not in red/blue. In Yellow loosing/winning the fights would determine what he evolves his Eevee into though yea.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vandar posted:

Bede was a better and more interesting character than Marnie. :colbert:

counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YogtSeb_O9s

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Every time I play XY I feel the rival is gonna betray you in the last hallway to Lysander, they're just so pathetic and rightfully frustrated

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zuzie posted:

I guess rivals are okay since they mostly serve as a test for the player's team, but I'd like it if the narrative got away from the rival character for a bit.

That痴 why Lillie owned, narratively important and a big presence in the game but it had 0 to do with being a rival. then you have to go steal on Ghetsis for being a bitch

Polderjoch posted:

It's really weird how every single main rival from XY on just has the near exact same arc of "family member is really good/well-known trainer and i get depressed because the player keeps kicking my poo poo in".

Hau didn稚 really get depressed he was more like drat you池e good catch you later 🤙

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Tierno is the only remotely memorable member of the gen 6 scooby gang and I want him to make a cameo in a future game as part of a pokemon dance troupe

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

indigi posted:

Hau didn稚 really get depressed he was more like drat you池e good catch you later 🤙

You can also lose to Hau and he'll heal your team and say it was a good fight and let you be on your way. Excepting the Ultra champion fight you never actually have to beat him to advance the plot.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can also lose to Hau and he'll heal your team and say it was a good fight and let you be on your way. Excepting the Ultra champion fight you never actually have to beat him to advance the plot.

:aaa: You can LOSE to Hau? I've been saying for years that one of the problems with supposed "rival" characters was that the game demands you absolutely trounce them in order for the plot to progress, so eventually you stop taking them seriously as an actual challenge. Having a rival that could feasibly beat you and not just stop the game until you grind a bit always seemed like the optimal solution.

Turns out Hau was an ideal example of that, it's just that for most of the game he's a scrub you can easily beat :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

indigi posted:

That's because Hau is a souless automaton fueled by Malasadas

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hau gets depressed when he fails to stop Lillie from getting kidnapped but bounces back next scene to help out at raiding Aether paradise.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Has it been established whether the Path of Solitude stamp has any mechanical effect in-game or is it just for showing off

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Does anyone have a shiny petilil or a shiny meltan they'd be willing to trade to me for a few minutes so I can log them in Pokemon Home? If there's a spare I've got plenty of shinies to permanently trade, but if you just have the one I'm happy to return either to you.

I have a spare shiny Petlil but uh--she's in PLA.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Hammerite posted:

Has it been established whether the Path of Solitude stamp has any mechanical effect in-game or is it just for showing off

I'm positive that its for bragging rights only.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Aw I like Hau, he's a sweetheart. Hop can do one though, I want to be sympathetic but they really needed to change the tone of his story a bit because it just feels bad interacting with him.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I have a spare shiny Petlil but uh--she's in PLA.

That would work! I致e got a few spare shinies feel free to Dm me or I can list them here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

That would work! I致e got a few spare shinies feel free to Dm me or I can list them here

You can稚 get them from PLA to Home is the problem

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PLA loving sucks as an acronym I can稚 stop thinking we池e about to free the west bank

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

PLA loving sucks as an acronym I can稚 stop thinking we池e about to free the west bank

Better than S/M imo

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

indigi posted:

You can稚 get them from PLA to Home is the problem

Is there not compatibility coming for Hone for PLA eventually? That seems kind of odd

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

eventually but who knows when and OP seemed to want to get it done now rather than later

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

indigi posted:

The scene of Arceus descending into Jerusalem to explain the one true religion was a bold choice from Game Freak but one we have to respect.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

indigi posted:

eventually but who knows when and OP seemed to want to get it done now rather than later

Oh I知 fine with waiting for compatibility. I can totally do PLA if that works for you. I have spare shinies of :

Floatzel, Machoke, Voltorb

If you壇 like any of those in exchange I知 happy to provide

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Oh I知 fine with waiting for compatibility. I can totally do PLA if that works for you. I have spare shinies of :

Floatzel, Machoke, Voltorb

If you壇 like any of those in exchange I知 happy to provide

Honestly feel free to give me whatever you want. I have three boxes stuffed with shinies and even more in SW/SH. I generally make it a point not to ask people for what I actually want because it would be tortuous to get it for me. So please feel free to have this Petlil, I already have two more who're a shiny and an alpha respectively with adamant natures.

My trade number is : 33669933 Just let me know when would be a good time for you. Also would appreciate it if you wanted more shinies as I'm literally up to my rear end in em' and would be happy to give them away.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Honestly feel free to give me whatever you want. I have three boxes stuffed with shinies and even more in SW/SH. I generally make it a point not to ask people for what I actually want because it would be tortuous to get it for me. So please feel free to have this Petlil, I already have two more who're a shiny and an alpha respectively with adamant natures.

My trade number is : 33669933 Just let me know when would be a good time for you. Also would appreciate it if you wanted more shinies as I'm literally up to my rear end in em' and would be happy to give them away.

Would 10 PM EST tonight work for you. The only other shiny I知 looking for in PLA is Oshawott/dewott/samurott so if you have a spare of that that値l work, otherwise just Petilil is fine

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Would 10 PM EST tonight work for you. The only other shiny I知 looking for in PLA is Oshawott/dewott/samurott so if you have a spare of that that値l work, otherwise just Petilil is fine

I'll log on right now. Unfortunately I don't have any shiny members of that line. Do you want her nicknamed or nah?