Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Flopsy posted:

I'll log on right now. Unfortunately I don't have any shiny members of that line. Do you want her nicknamed or nah?

Nicknames are fine! I’ll be ready to go when you are! Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Nicknames are fine! I’ll be ready to go when you are! Thank you so much!

Pleasure trading with you.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Flopsy posted:

Pleasure trading with you.

Same, that’s for getting me one step closer to a full shiny dex!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Lol.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It'd be awesome if the next game had a rival that wrecked you every couple of towns with a level 60 team. Basically make it almost impossible to beat your rival until the Pokemon League Championship. It would make beating them at the end satisfying. If somehow the player defeats the overpowered rival early in the game, have the game switch the final Pokemon League trainer to be an old Ash with a level 100 team.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Forced losses are incredibly sick in rpgs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Forced losses that are dragged out are agonizing, like having Peony slowly clobber your entire team rather than having one faint and him going "oh wow you're not supposed to be here but alright, your funeral" - it's far better to have them be over and done quick, like when you first meet Saturos and Menardi in Golden Sun and they ROFLstomp you into the ground because you are a literal child who can barely hold a sword

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Was it hacked?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah and?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TPXbH7ee4

Bede!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Vinylshadow posted:

Forced losses that are dragged out are agonizing, like having Peony slowly clobber your entire team rather than having one faint and him going "oh wow you're not supposed to be here but alright, your funeral" - it's far better to have them be over and done quick, like when you first meet Saturos and Menardi in Golden Sun and they ROFLstomp you into the ground because you are a literal child who can barely hold a sword

Hey, dragged out losses can be good, too. Look at Dragon Quest 5: After you gently caress around and get your rear end kicked, you get to watch your father slowly get beaten to death by enemies he could easily take out. Because of you.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

What are we supposed to be looking at? the poke ball it's in?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yes. I was pleased with myself for catching the legendary Pokémon in an ugly rear end heal ball.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Pink is pretty and I caught almost every pokemon (legendaries included) in my recent BDSP run with heal balls. :colbert:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Xerneas’ blues work well with so many different pokeballs

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I gently caress with pink. Heal balls are just ugly.

My favorite ball designs are luxury balls, timer balls and quick balls. I always liked the heavy ball apricorn ones but they got so scarce

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Spacebump posted:

It'd be awesome if the next game had a rival that wrecked you every couple of towns with a level 60 team. Basically make it almost impossible to beat your rival until the Pokemon League Championship. It would make beating them at the end satisfying. If somehow the player defeats the overpowered rival early in the game, have the game switch the final Pokemon League trainer to be an old Ash with a level 100 team.
This would actually be dumb and bad sorry OP

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

This would actually be dumb and bad sorry OP

It’s good actually. change isn’t always bad

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The gameplay of Pokemon would need to radically shift in order for that kind of thing to work. Fights that you are meant to lose but can potentially still win work well for something like Tales where the real time battling means you can potentially outplay the enemies through luck and skill.

The turn based nature of Pokemon means you'd just get your poo poo kicked in with one hit kos facing a super enemy. It would negatively encourage people to do tons of grinding that would be miserable even with the affordances in newer games, especially if the 'reward' for doing so would be a different plot.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
artificial attempts to get a player mad at an NPC to the point of forming an actual rivalry always backfire. It will never spur a player on. It'll do the opposite. It always feels bad, and more than a few people will be unable to stop themselves from grinding or finding an exploit to get by it, and most of those players will give up and never touch the game again

plus it extra sucks in a game like pokemon where the gameplay is more indirect, meaning your anger isn't directed at your own ability but rather at your pokemons or the RNG

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

The gameplay of Pokemon would need to radically shift in order for that kind of thing to work. Fights that you are meant to lose but can potentially still win work well for something like Tales where the real time battling means you can potentially outplay the enemies through luck and skill.

The turn based nature of Pokemon means you'd just get your poo poo kicked in with one hit kos facing a super enemy. It would negatively encourage people to do tons of grinding that would be miserable even with the affordances in newer games, especially if the 'reward' for doing so would be a different plot.

I'm down with a challenging rival not an impossible one. Being able to choose difficulty level would alleviate a lot of these issues though.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
If S/V is truly open world, then one easy way to boost a rival's impact is to have them do areas in a different order than you. So when they show up they have pokes you haven't seen before, they have gym-specific Z-Moves (or equivalent) you haven't unlocked yet, etc.

They wouldn't be strictly better, but they would be different, and there's difficulty in novelty. and it'll generate envy in the player if they have sick pokes they haven't seen yet, and envy is a far better motivator than anger

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Spacebump posted:

Yes, because what Pokemon needs is to take ideas from such gems such as Pokemon: Dark RIsing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think the big problem with Pokemon and trying to do epic battle is that they're really hamstrung by forcing the single player stuff to play by the same rules as PvP. This means there's a hard cap on what an enemy's stats can be, so they can't do stuff like Final Fantasy where a boss has 10x the HP of the player characters as well as higher stats. Same thing for moves, enemies can't have unexpected moves (in the sense that every move a Pokemon can potentially learn is known to the player) or very powerful ones that force a player to change up their strategy. If the enemy is Pokemon A, I know that I can always outspeed it if I have Pokemon B with this nature and this held item, or that I can always OHKO it if I have Pokemon C with this move and this ability.

The closest they've come to having Pokemon that are a greater threat to the player than usual (while within a standard turn based system, so stuff like Conquest doesn't count) are Pokemon XD where Shadow moves were super effective on non-Shadow Pokemon, and Legends Arceus where they completely redid the EV system. Colosseum/XD also manage to be a little better than the mainline games at having battles be slightly more challenging by being completely based around double battling, which sometimes require different setups and different tactics than 1v1.

But yeah ultimately I don't think Pokemon can do your standard big JRPG battles just purely because of how the games are designed. Whether that's good or bad is up to your opinion.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think the big problem with Pokemon and trying to do epic battle is that they're really hamstrung by forcing the single player stuff to play by the same rules as PvP. This means there's a hard cap on what an enemy's stats can be, so they can't do stuff like Final Fantasy where a boss has 10x the HP of the player characters as well as higher stats. Same thing for moves, enemies can't have unexpected moves (in the sense that every move a Pokemon can potentially learn is known to the player) or very powerful ones that force a player to change up their strategy. If the enemy is Pokemon A, I know that I can always outspeed it if I have Pokemon B with this nature and this held item, or that I can always OHKO it if I have Pokemon C with this move and this ability.

This can be partially solved by making "fake" Pokemon. Eternamax, Pokestudio enemies, while they are Pokemon as code they aren't engaged in the same way you do a Pokemon you've fought and caught multiple times over the course of a campaign. They can side-step the game balance of a Kyurem-White or Necrozma because they aren't supposed be for you to use on your team. Give it over 1,000 in BST or in a single stat, or an ability so it has 3 types.

In the lead up to Sun/Moon, I had thought the UB would be more of these. Less Pokemon and more Pokemon-shaped Obstacles.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

That would run into another issue where people who play Pokemon for the collection aspect would feel bad about not having something that an NPC as access to.

People balk about not having Eternal Flower Floette.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zuzie posted:

That would run into another issue where people who play Pokemon for the collection aspect would feel bad about not having something that an NPC as access to.

People balk about not having Eternal Flower Floette.

IT HAS A SIGNATURE MOVE THAT NEVER EVEN GETS TO BE USED! :argh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Abundant Atrophy posted:

This can be partially solved by making "fake" Pokemon. Eternamax, Pokestudio enemies, while they are Pokemon as code they aren't engaged in the same way you do a Pokemon you've fought and caught multiple times over the course of a campaign. They can side-step the game balance of a Kyurem-White or Necrozma because they aren't supposed be for you to use on your team. Give it over 1,000 in BST or in a single stat, or an ability so it has 3 types.

In the lead up to Sun/Moon, I had thought the UB would be more of these. Less Pokemon and more Pokemon-shaped Obstacles.

Yea this seems like a problem the Dynamax raid setup was invented to solve but then it doesn't really get used in that way. I kinda wonder if the game was meant to have big solo Dynamax Raid Bosses similar to the Eternatus fight along the way, and they cut it either for time or because it just wasn't clicking. The whole non-gym plot is about Dynamax pokemon appearing everywhere, but aside from people talking about them, it's just kind of this optional side thing you can do in wild areas. It would explain the "Hey there's a big pokemon causing trouble! Oh, Lee just took care of it" stuff.

Monster Hunter Stories 2 does something similar with beefed up "rage rayed" versions of catchable monsters, that get deployed as bosses at significant milestones. It works pretty well, to the point that I didn't realize WHY they did that until I read your post.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Dynamax raids kinda suck because they're just harder Pokemon battles with extra mechanics like the shield to make them feel lovely.

The noble battles in Legends are a nice step in the direction of having special encounters that still fit Pokemon but have different mechanics.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the noble battles don’t fit Pokémon mechanics at all, dodging and timing and all that poo poo felt wildly out of place and I hope they never do it again. I don’t enjoy those types of games

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

the noble battles don’t fit Pokémon mechanics at all, dodging and timing and all that poo poo felt wildly out of place and I hope they never do it again. I don’t enjoy those types of games

Oh, so you DON'T want unwinnable battles...

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

indigi posted:

So you saw a big rear end Kleavor and didn't want to smack it in the face with baggies?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
When I see a big pokemon i want to fight it with my little buddy pokemon with cool moves with options for combat that aren't just Hit Hard Twice or Hit Harder Once, personally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Noble Pokemon are cool. Better than I thought they would be. They're largely just flashy setpieces but that's cool imo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its fun how everyone's ideal direction for Pokemon is somebody else's tedious bullshit. I'm glad that Game Freak has mostly gone with things I like.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

The closest they've come to having Pokemon that are a greater threat to the player than usual (while within a standard turn based system, so stuff like Conquest doesn't count) are Pokemon XD where Shadow moves were super effective on non-Shadow Pokemon, and Legends Arceus where they completely redid the EV system. Colosseum/XD also manage to be a little better than the mainline games at having battles be slightly more challenging by being completely based around double battling, which sometimes require different setups and different tactics than 1v1.

But yeah ultimately I don't think Pokemon can do your standard big JRPG battles just purely because of how the games are designed. Whether that's good or bad is up to your opinion.

Totem mons did a good job as proper boss encounters, at least when you couldn't wipe them by hitting quadruple weaknesses. That constant rain aqua ring wishiwashi was probably the toughest ingame battle pokemon's ever had

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shiroc posted:

Its fun how everyone's ideal direction for Pokemon is somebody else's tedious bullshit. I'm glad that Game Freak has mostly gone with things I like.

The great common denominator of Pokemon is somebody's garbage is someone else's treasure.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh, so you DON'T want unwinnable battles...

Lol

Wellwinds posted:

Totem mons did a good job as proper boss encounters, at least when you couldn't wipe them by hitting quadruple weaknesses. That constant rain aqua ring wishiwashi was probably the toughest ingame battle pokemon's ever had

Hell yeah that ruled

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
When you lose to a gym leader they should be able to eat your pokemon. Long cutscene of your butchered Miltank and Kingler presented as a big loving surf and turf, medium rare garnished with Bayleef and Exeggutor sauce. And a baked Appletun for dessert.

Your Eevee gets fed to their Arcanine.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I think something like Dynamax raids would've landed better if you hadn't been playing with other people - either randoms or NPCs whose AI was not particularly good, with no way to communicate what you're doing and strategize either way. I don't like showing up to the 5 star raid and there's a kindergartner with an Eevee who can't do anything but help speedrun the raid via getting annihilated repeatedly.

(I'm referring to the npc class, I don't think children shouldn't be allowed to play the game that is aimed toward them)

Like let me send out four Pokemon of my own and control them simultaneously and see how they synergize, just like any other RPG where you control multiple characters. It would give an incentive to learn moves like Helping Hand which are completely worthless in 95% of the game normally. It would give an incentive to keep more pokemon trained than just your main 6. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

indigi posted:

It’s good actually. change isn’t always bad

Change is not always bad, no, but that idea is, sorry. Other people have already gone over more details of why. I am down for tougher battles, the aforementioned Totems were great, Cynthia obviously has had her fight talked to death even if hers is less "gimmick" more just strong team, all of that stuff is great. I welcome more of that. But nonsense like fighting a trainer with a Level 75 team with your Level 16 starter and Level 12 Route 1 birds, bugs, and rodents ain't it. I've played many a game that's tried to do that type of stuff and it isn't fun, it doesn't engage me, all it does is make me want to turn the game off and go play something else. And while I have confidence that GameFreak would approach it better than the vast majority of random people who have tried, it just isnt something that works.