Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Mighty Moltres posted:

My mom is currently having surgery for her cataracts, which apparently involves her eyes being sliced open while she is awake.
My PHUO is when I am 70 years old and have cataracts, I would much rather be blind than go through that.
She is way more brave than I ever will be, and I just hope she doesn't sneeze lol

I had to get cataract surgery when I was 30 and I was indeed awake with my eyes open the whole time. But it changed my life and totally worth it. I don't even wear glasses anymore and I'd worn them since I was 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It would be simpler to just not allow your eyes to weaken and keep your perfect vision in the first place

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

It would be simpler to just not allow your eyes to weaken and keep your perfect vision in the first place

That would put eye surgeons out of a job and ruin the economy. You need to think about these things

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

They have a clockwork orange to hold your eyes open. It's pretty interesting to watch. They cut along the surface of the eye and pull back the membrane with a tweezers. It's dope looking

I've always wondered, with that and also lasers for vision correction, do they paralyse your eyes somehow as well? Otherwise, wouldn't your eyes move at least a little bit?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

christmas boots posted:

Tbh I think drawing a comparison between Chris rock and literal Nazi Richard Spencer is a little weird

I find it curious that out of everything in that post, that's what you focused on?

I didn't say we should hang the guy I just feel that it should be proportional. What Will Smith did was enough

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

alexandriao posted:

I find it curious that out of everything in that post, that's what you focused on?

I didn't say we should hang the guy I just feel that it should be proportional. What Will Smith did was enough

Right, it should be proportional, which is why your post makes no loving sense.

Espouse violent ideology -> receive violence.

Make lovely joke that does not dehumanize a race or group of people in a way that is at all comparable to any of the poo poo you said -> receive no violence.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sometimes violence is cool and good in a non-threatening, non-violent situation

PHUO: Toxic masculinity as a term has become completely meaningless and its use is a good indicator that you can stop taking the person who used it seriously

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oldpainless posted:

I poke everyone I meet in the eye, so that even if my eyesight gets weaker, it'll still be stronger than everyone else's.

There's probably some proverb about it, with cats and haystacks in it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

alexandriao posted:

I focused on it because it was the part I thought was weird and dumb.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
honestly i think i have a mild phobia of anything to do with eye procedures/getting my eyes touched in any way. i dont think i'd go for something even as benign as laser correction.

also, somewhat-related phuo: i cant stand contact lenses. glasses are fine, thank you very much

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm the reverse, anything other than safety glasses annoy the gently caress out of me but contacts are awesome.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I also don’t like contact lenses. They make my eyes water slightly so my nose is runny all day

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm the reverse, anything other than safety glasses annoy the gently caress out of me but contacts are awesome.

The safety squint was enough for our forefathers it's enough for us.

You don't need gloves when using a torch either. Metal splatter isn't hot that long.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

glasses are not fine

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Phosphine posted:

Right, it should be proportional, which is why your post makes no loving sense.

Espouse violent ideology -> receive violence.

Make lovely joke that does not dehumanize a race or group of people in a way that is at all comparable to any of the poo poo you said -> receive no violence.

He made a joke about a (black) woman's hair loss. Yeah that deserves a slap

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Maybe don't go up on stage and insult the audience for things out of their control

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The worst thing to come out of the Oscars slap is I haven't seen anyone make a Good Hair joke. Chris Rock gets smacked for joking about a bald woman after making a weave documentary and no one jumped on that?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Guyver posted:

The worst thing to come out of the Oscars slap is I haven't seen anyone make a Good Hair joke. Chris Rock gets smacked for joking about a bald woman after making a weave documentary and no one jumped on that?

He literally made a whole movie about how black women are doing their hair wrong. The man has opinions about black women's hair

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I just think the adult thing to do would have been to speak to Chris after the show and demand a public apology. I bet Chris would have happily apologized for hurting her feelings and acknowledge that the joke was poorly made, but now he can’t because it’s become A Thing.

But I’m against violence in general and I don’t feel that joke was mean enough to warrant a physical act of violence. Will could have just screamed at him to knock it off and gotten the same reaction.

Cheering for this is not the same as cheering for nazis getting punched. Not by a long shot. This is so much lower stakes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

He didn't tell the joke at a private party or something, he told it literally on live international television. Getting a private apology after the show would not be a proportionate response.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

This whole slap thing has shown that way more people than I thought have led extremely sheltered mole-people lives

People hit other people for insulting them and the people/subjects they care about. Regularly. Folks finding every pearl in the drawer to clutch over a simple open-hand slap is so eye-rollingly silly

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

This whole slap thing has shown that way more people than I thought have led extremely sheltered mole-people lives

People hit other people for insulting them and the people/subjects they care about. Regularly. Folks finding every pearl in the drawer to clutch over a simple open-hand slap is so eye-rollingly silly

I'm thinking the keyboard warriors saying poo poo like this are way, way more cringey

like, painfully cringey

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

My main complaint about this is that even though Jada was the actual wronged party here, and even though there were a lot of women there to celebrate the accolades that they rightfully earned, all of that has been kind of overshadowed and now that night has now really just become about two kind of lovely men.

Although that's more a complaint about the overall discourse, I guess.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm thinking the keyboard warriors saying poo poo like this are way, way more cringey

like, painfully cringey

Now now. Both groups are incredibly cringey.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

like, painfully cringey

If it were me I would have gone all out (just this once), jumping onto the stage behind Chris Rock and delivering a perfect suplex, driving him through the stage floor and into the utility access

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It wasn't that bad of a joke, either. I mean, it was a kind of lazy joke, but I don't know how anyone would be offended by it.

It's also not like he made fun of something that is in any way her fault or related to her own choices or anything. It's not like he made fun of her weight or her drug use or face tattoos or whatever.

I remember how mean people were to Bea Arthur at awards shows, always taking a moment to point out of UGLY she was or how MASCULINE she was or that she PROBABLY HAD A PENIS. Those are the kinds of jokes I feel are mean spirited, but I guess Chris Rock never got slapped after mocking Bea Arthur.

Edit to add: this may be an opinion rooted in privilege and ignorance, so forgive me if it's painfully stupid, but while JPS was the focal point of the joke, I feel like the joke wasn't even about her. It was just about the disease. It's like when my father made jokes about his dying brother's pancreatic cancer. Even if my uncle was dying and was where the joke was focused, not a single person present thought there was any malice behind those kinds of things. We made fun of my uncle's cancer because it was an awful thing that was happening to a decent fellow and making a joke about it is better than just pretending it's not there.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Mar 31, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

credburn posted:

It wasn't that bad of a joke, either. I mean, it was a kind of lazy joke, but I don't know how anyone would be offended by it.

It's also not like he made fun of something that is in any way her fault or related to her own choices or anything. It's not like he made fun of her weight or her drug use or face tattoos or whatever.

You do understand that that's worse, right? It's worse to make fun of someone for aspects about themselves they can't change like race or disability or disease, than for their own choices.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gripweed posted:

You do understand that that's worse, right? It's worse to make fun of someone for aspects about themselves they can't change like race or disability or disease, than for their own choices.

I suppose this is subjective to one's own experiences, but I don't agree :shrug:

If you're making fun of JPS's hair, you're making fun of the disease at the expense of JPS.

But if you're making fun of a choice JPS made, you're shaming JPS.

Am I wrong? I may be wrong.

I mean, making fun of one's race or disabilities is going a little outside the scope of what I'm articulating, I think.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

credburn posted:

I remember how mean people were to Bea Arthur at awards shows, always taking a moment to point out of UGLY she was or how MASCULINE she was or that she PROBABLY HAD A PENIS. Those are the kinds of jokes I feel are mean spirited, but I guess Chris Rock never got slapped after mocking Bea Arthur.

Edit to add: this may be an opinion rooted in privilege and ignorance, so forgive me if it's painfully stupid, but while JPS was the focal point of the joke, I feel like the joke wasn't even about her. It was just about the disease. It's like when my father made jokes about his dying brother's pancreatic cancer. Even if my uncle was dying and was where the joke was focused, not a single person present thought there was any malice behind those kinds of things. We made fun of my uncle's cancer because it was an awful thing that was happening to a decent fellow and making a joke about it is better than just pretending it's not there.

There's a key difference in that your father was, I assume, quite close to his brother and knew that the joke wouldn't hurt him and that it would be received in a particular spirit.

There are other things too, like different expectations for men and women and how cancer as a disease is understood vs something like alopecia. Also your father probably wasn't making these jokes on national television.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Clearly it upset her, too, so I don't know. I guess it's not for me to say whether or not a person should or should not have been offended by something based on whether or not I perceive I would have if in the same place.

In any case, the slapping was excessive and dumb... though on the other hand it has really brought a lot of topics up that people are talking about and that's a great thing.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

He didn't tell the joke at a private party or something, he told it literally on live international television. Getting a private apology after the show would not be a proportionate response.

That’s why I said it should have been a public apology.

credburn posted:

In any case, the slapping was excessive and dumb... though on the other hand it has really brought a lot of topics up that people are talking about and that's a great thing.

Eh, the topic being talked about is whether it’s ok to assault someone else because your feelings were hurt.

The answer is “no”. We expect more from 6 year olds.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

thetoughestbean posted:

I also don’t like contact lenses. They make my eyes water slightly so my nose is runny all day

I tried contact lenses, and it felt like I was wearing wet plastic bags on my eyes. People said I'd get used to it, and I didn't. Plus, I take my eyes off super often during the day since I work in front of a computer & don't need them to see close up, so contacts probably wouldn't be particularly useful for me anyway.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: Toxic masculinity as a term has become completely meaningless and its use is a good indicator that you can stop taking the person who used it seriously

Yeah I've been thinking about this a lot lately with regards to the absolute trash fire that is The Power of the Dog. The broadening of the term to mean absolutely anything that could possibly be Competitive, violent, or physically strenuous has meant any powers of the term to criticize behavior is now null. There's also this undercurrent in some people that nobody actually wants to say lift weights or box or wrestle and they're all being tricked by peer or societal pressure into it. I can guarantee you, that poo poo is loving fun.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m not ready to throw the term out yet but it definitely has gotten cheapened by reckless use

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Manager Hoyden posted:

Sometimes violence is cool and good in a non-threatening, non-violent situation

Yet you yourself used the term. Curious.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its okay to just be a guy and manly

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i'm doing a training course where sometimes there's a break where they do yoga, and it's good that that's not mandatory because i'm not doing yoga because i'm not a freaking girl

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Robobot posted:

That’s why I said it should have been a public apology.

Celebrities go through public apologies for everything. Their status allows them to say whatever they want, including "grabbing them in the pussy" and only have to issue the barest minimum of a public apology. Hell, Will Smith already issued an apology and yet that's never been mentioned, has it?

How come Chris Rock gets to have a public apology redeem him, but Will Smith doesn't?

Luckily, now the door is open. Will Smith shoved the door open and hopefully we shall see a lot more comedians getting beat the poo poo out of for stuff they were previously immune to. At the very least, even if that doesn't happen, the fact is it has, and could happen again. That also means something.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

i'm doing a training course where sometimes there's a break where they do yoga, and it's good that that's not mandatory because i'm not doing yoga because i'm not a freaking girl

You were doing fine up until this post lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

You were doing fine up until this post lmao.

well thats a better track record than yours at least