Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hirayuki posted:

I was driving my 15-year-old home from school and chatting about our upcoming trip to Cape Cod. He's spent almost no time in New England and I was telling him about some regional favorites like Moxie and Grape-Nut ice cream.

Well, I wound up having to have The Talk about Grape-Nuts. No, they don't taste like grapes. Or nuts. As a breakfast cereal, you kind of need to use a lot of milk to soften 'em up or they can be unpleasantly crunchy, and for God's sake don't put too many in your bowl or you'll be stuck eating the things for far too long. He likes grape and artificially grape-flavored stuff and was thoroughly disillusioned, expecting more of a grape Fruity Pebbles or Trix. Sorry, pal. :smith:

We did discover this prime piece of thread content, though:

Oh my god I could go for some Moxie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I'm halfway through a twelve-pack right now

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Paladinus posted:

But more importantly, how do you nut grapes?

Very painfully

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

I was driving my 15-year-old home from school and chatting about our upcoming trip to Cape Cod. He's spent almost no time in New England and I was telling him about some regional favorites like Moxie and Grape-Nut ice cream.

Well, I wound up having to have The Talk about Grape-Nuts. No, they don't taste like grapes. Or nuts. As a breakfast cereal, you kind of need to use a lot of milk to soften 'em up or they can be unpleasantly crunchy, and for God's sake don't put too many in your bowl or you'll be stuck eating the things for far too long. He likes grape and artificially grape-flavored stuff and was thoroughly disillusioned, expecting more of a grape Fruity Pebbles or Trix. Sorry, pal. :smith:

We did discover this prime piece of thread content, though:

Still not entirely sure what grape nuts are but I'm very confident I'd wolf that down without a second thought

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Does someone have the original small pastry posts? It came up in discussion and I just realized I mostly acquired it through osmosis.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post459943640

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's amazing that they still post (not here) and also still have that avatar lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Moxie is good while you're drinking it but has a weird and strong aftertaste

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FFT posted:

It's amazing that they still post (not here) and also still have that avatar lmao

Forums power move is never acknowledge any meme you had a hand in creating

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brawnfire posted:

I'm halfway through a twelve-pack right now

My grocery store used to stock it but ONLY in 2-liter bottles, which is too much Moxie to drink before it goes flat. Naturally no one bought it and now they don’t stock it at all :(

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Bloop posted:

Moxie is good while you're drinking it but has a weird and strong aftertaste

I've had exactly one Moxie in my life, but about 2/3 of the way through it I realized it tasted like jagermeister.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There's a touch of madness seeing the original posts on a phone because the picture they're quoting is obviously shrimp in American Chinese food, but it's all beige. If they never eat shrimp or American Chinese food, it starts to get a little less ridiculous of a situation. But then at that point, the orbs of yog sototh appear and start asking me about small pastries while the walls close in

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My grocery store used to stock it but ONLY in 2-liter bottles, which is too much Moxie to drink before it goes flat. Naturally no one bought it and now they don’t stock it at all :(

I've only ever had it in cans, which seems to work really well for my sporadic consumption. I'd really like to try a fountain Moxie though, if that's even a thing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brawnfire posted:

I've only ever had it in cans, which seems to work really well for my sporadic consumption. I'd really like to try a fountain Moxie though, if that's even a thing.

I’m sure there’s some backwater diner in the middle of nowhere Maine that’s been serving Moxie on tap for eighty years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Somehow I never tried Moxie even in the times I've traveled through the northeast US. It's something I just don't even have the slightest concept of what it would taste like.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kyte posted:

Can I see the whole recipe?
https://www.postconsumerbrands.com/recipes/grape-nuts-hot-chorizo/

Here are all of the official Grape-Nuts recipes, many of which (the sweet/not-too-savory ones, mostly) look pretty decent: https://www.postconsumerbrands.com/recipes/?sr&rb=grape-nuts

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Was posted in a Swedish Discord I'm in yesterday:

A dish that some restaurant calls "Pasta Carbonara" on the menu and lists it as containing ham, shrimp, and brown gravy:

The other listings are Pasta Bolognese with mincemeat (by which I mean actual minced meat), cheese, and salad; Brösarps (a place name) Pasta with beef tenderloin, brown gravy, and cheese; and Chicken Pasta (which, in Swedish, should not have a space between the words) with chicken, curry sauce, and cheese.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Mar 31, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somehow I never tried Moxie even in the times I've traveled through the northeast US. It's something I just don't even have the slightest concept of what it would taste like.

Imagine getting punched in the balls by Houdini.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

A dish that some restaurant calls "Pasta Carbonara" on the menu and lists it as containing ham, shrimp, and brown gravy:

The other listings are Pasta Bolognese with mincemeat, cheese, and salad; Brösarps (a place name) Pasta with beef tenderloin, brown gravy, and cheese; and Chicken Pasta (which, in Swedish, should not have a space between the words) with chicken, curry sause, and cheese.

Growing up dirt-poor having regular meals of brown gravy packet, ground beef, and egg noodles... I might need to consider moving :thunk:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Kyckling is a good word for chicken

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It tastes like Angostura bitters, because it's flavored with gentian root. It's a mild and pleasant flavor, just somewhat outside the common American soda palate.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I wish anyone near me sold Chinotto or Sanbitter

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I want to see one of those alignment charts for carbonara.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I never knew the origin of small pastry. Consider me culturally enriched.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If I had to see it, so do you.

Canned Roast Beef.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

If I had to see it, so do you.

Canned Roast Beef.

Do folks fight over the little fat blob like with the bacon chunk in baked beans?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ahem, the queen bean

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just had the nitro Pepsi. It’s ok, kinda reminds me of the texture of a root beer float once the ice cream has melted a little. With less bubbles it’s basically just a faster sugar delivery system :shrug:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hirayuki posted:

https://www.postconsumerbrands.com/recipes/grape-nuts-hot-chorizo/

Here are all of the official Grape-Nuts recipes, many of which (the sweet/not-too-savory ones, mostly) look pretty decent: https://www.postconsumerbrands.com/recipes/?sr&rb=grape-nuts

Wait so it's just microwaved grape nuts with toppings??? wtf

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Just had the nitro Pepsi. It’s ok, kinda reminds me of the texture of a root beer float once the ice cream has melted a little. With less bubbles it’s basically just a faster sugar delivery system :shrug:

Similarly, just had Coke Starlight. It tastes like I stopped eating cotton candy to take a swig of coke. :geno:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
soda facts: dr. pepper cream soda is hella good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Hygiene posted:

Do folks fight over the little fat blob like with the bacon chunk in baked beans?

People fight over that? We always threw it out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The best soda is either Diet Pepsi M A X or Fresca, there is no in-between

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Brawnfire posted:

I wish anyone near me sold Chinotto or Sanbitter

chinotto you piece of fruit

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

KennyMan666 posted:

The other listings are Pasta Bolognese with mincemeat, cheese, and salad; Brösarps (a place name) Pasta with beef tenderloin, brown gravy, and cheese; and Chicken Pasta (which, in Swedish, should not have a space between the words) with chicken, curry sauce, and cheese.

Some old Italian chef just got incredibly pissed off and has no idea why.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh yeah, usual disclaimer about the taste in food I had while growing up though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

You should

It's like fighting over eating a used bay leaf

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll pass, but I kinda want some cryptid crisps and Yakuza puffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Insect protein as a food source is the (ant)hill I will die on, and those sound delicious.