Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

can you actually use your handy dandy rope on BTs, like before getting the cord cutter or anything? I coulda swore I read that at somepoint, or maybe I confused it with the bola gun

I'm pretty sure rope can't work on normal BTs, unless they snuck that into Director's cut? Which is strange because the bola upgrade works because they soaked the bola rope in your blood... And your regular rope is already soaked in your blood for biometric ID reasons. On the off chance people are on their first playthrough, there are later gameplay segments where the Rope works against a specific thing Rope stealth takedown decapitate skeleton soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wish you could use cargo-kata against BTs. just whap em in the weird gold mask thing with 20kg of ceramics

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I have noticed some new enemies I've never seen before, which is good.
In my current Very Hard playthrough I'm loving up roughly as often as on my first Hard playthrough, which is a good sign. I definitely wanted some challenge.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Also, they seem to have changed optional preppers. I couldn't talk to the Ludens Fan nor to the Cosplayer, how do you get access to them now?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Also, they seem to have changed optional preppers. I couldn't talk to the Ludens Fan nor to the Cosplayer, how do you get access to them now?

You have to pick up a lost delivery for them, they’re just RNG in the local area.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The first five hours of this game is just word salad. This is my first time playing, and even after following the discourse at release I'm still taken aback.

I...think I like it? I don't know, I love Snowrunner, so I'll keep going.

EDIT: Oh Die-Hardman sucks, he's too boring to wear that mask and he has the physique of a dentist.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 1, 2022

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Squiggle posted:

The first five hours of this game is just word salad.

i have some bad news

but it's still one of the best games ever made

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

The first five hours of this game is just word salad. This is my first time playing, and even after following the discourse at release I'm still taken aback.

I...think I like it? I don't know, I love Snowrunner, so I'll keep going.

EDIT: Oh Die-Hardman sucks, he's too boring to wear that mask and he has the physique of a dentist.

It gets easier but that's the same joke people make about new fantasy or scifi novels too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really the whole game is just an elaborate piece of performance art to try and convert you to sam's grillpilled perspective.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
This game has both the best and worst controls ever 😖

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Listen, your first mission being to cremate the president of the united states who is also your mother by the way is peak comedy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Weeee I was going to shore up some gaps in my zipline network, then i stumbled onto some road chunks that are either new or i somehow missed my first time around! Think I might have a good road leading out from mountain zone to the main interstate area of central region. got a lot of deliveries just never bothered with because eff that with my old network.

also buddy bot rules and is my good friend now. i do wish me or buddy bot had a dang radio for music. or the trucks at least wtf is up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm trying to grind out floating carrier lvl 3 before I start heading for South Knot :shepface: I'm schlepping crap on a bike and some (admittedly pretty sweet) jump ramps back and forth across the rocks & river between Distro Center S. of Lake Knot and the Weather Station

shouldn't I have been able to fab Vans by now, tho? I forget

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Ciaphas posted:

i'm trying to grind out floating carrier lvl 3 before I start heading for South Knot :shepface: I'm schlepping crap on a bike and some (admittedly pretty sweet) jump ramps back and forth across the rocks & river between Distro Center S. of Lake Knot and the Weather Station

shouldn't I have been able to fab Vans by now, tho? I forget

They moved some stuff around. You get a van once you do the junk peddler storyline.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ahhh, that explains that. well i just got the timefall farm online so I at least the junk monger's up soonish, if not next

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I'm reaching the mid-game and the performance issues are starting to piss me off.
My PC is more powerful than the Recommended System Requirements in every single way and it cannot sustain 1080p/60fps even at lowest settings, they really hosed up the optimization on this one.,

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to tell when you're taking on an order if you'll be able to fit everything between you and your vehicle before getting to the loading stage? I know there's the thing in the bottom right that tells you how many pieces are being added with the orders you've selected but does it tell you if you've reached your height limit? It's not a huge deal because I just back out from the loading menu once I realize it won't fit and remove one of the deliveries I'm taking but I figured I'd ask in case I was missing something with the UI down there that would make my life easier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Floating carrier on ziplines is so good, this'll make big hauls to eg the chiral artist's mother a LOT easier. Looks a bit jank tho

explosivo posted:

Is there a way to tell when you're taking on an order if you'll be able to fit everything between you and your vehicle before getting to the loading stage? I know there's the thing in the bottom right that tells you how many pieces are being added with the orders you've selected but does it tell you if you've reached your height limit? It's not a huge deal because I just back out from the loading menu once I realize it won't fit and remove one of the deliveries I'm taking but I figured I'd ask in case I was missing something with the UI down there that would make my life easier.

Nope, trial and error seems to be the only way

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's extremely cool and funny that Death Stranding is a sequel to Cyberpunk 2077.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

Floating carrier on ziplines is so good, this'll make big hauls to eg the chiral artist's mother a LOT easier. Looks a bit jank tho

Nope, trial and error seems to be the only way

Gotcha, thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

It's extremely cool and funny that Death Stranding is a sequel to Cyberpunk 2077.

Explains why the Western Region is how it is. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I finished the new highways last night and now... I want more. They should've added roads to the PCC, let me build my own highway ocerpasses.

And gently caress Peter Engelbert. Just delivered him two pizza and a bottle of special champagne, by hand, on foot ONLY... and didn't even get a sliver of a star. wha tthe gently caress bro. seriously, hour delivery... i did it in 10 minutes, only got single S rank!?! not even a thank you smh gonna kill this fucker if i ever see him there was fuckin ghosts and terrorists along the way ungrateful rear end

edit: okay he emailed me thanking me but also sounds like he abuses his partner and had to chase her down wwtf

edit: whoa, didnt realize i could link two floating carriers. this explains a few mountain deliveries i always had to do in two parts

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 2, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pete's deliveries pay off at the end of the sequence.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started this last night and have managed to go into it almost entirely blind. I got to the Wind Farm earlier and I'm in love with this game so far. The atmosphere is top notch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This is pretty much the only game where I never run unless I'm running away from something or I'm doing a timed delivery. Otherwise I always walk at a leisurely pace and take in the scenery and the atmosphere and think about the story and the world and whatnot. I kind of wish there was more incentive to stop and rest and to drink but they're both for restoring stamina so you only ever really need to do one unless you're out of water Monster Energy Beer.

Also I've never had to use the weird plant shoes you find in the world. In fact, I've never had a pair of boots break on me because I've always just replaced them before they did and it was no big deal. It's too bad the difficulty setting only seems to affect combat and not the traversal part of the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Stare-Out posted:

Also I've never had to use the weird plant shoes you find in the world. In fact, I've never had a pair of boots break on me because I've always just replaced them before they did and it was no big deal. It's too bad the difficulty setting only seems to affect combat and not the traversal part of the game.

Higher difficulties definitely make your balance worse and cargo takes less punishment. I also *think* that it makes you run out of stamina faster and your shoes wear out faster but I'm not completely sure on that one.
On Very Hard, at least in Director's Cut, MULEs can drop some really good shoes that last a while, so I never run out of them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've been playing the last 15 hours or so on Very Hard doing post game stuff and I haven't really noticed a difference. Maybe I'm just really good at taking care of Sam. :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Stare-Out posted:

I've been playing the last 15 hours or so on Very Hard doing post game stuff and I haven't really noticed a difference. Maybe I'm just really good at taking care of Sam. :v:

I played the original version on Hard and playing through Director's cut on Very Hard and I'm definitely noticing situations where I eat poo poo now when I didn't before.
Literally an hour ago, I tripped on the tiniest of rocks and did a loving somersault before scattering my goods everywhere, without getting any balance prompts. I don't remember anything like that happening on Hard.

Although, maybe those are Director's Cut changes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've worn weird plant shoes before, first time through snow quite a lot since I was trudging back n forth in heavy snow a ton to build ziplines and junk. Also sometimes because I swap out my shoes right before they break and i end up putting them on my boot clip, so ill set out for a big journey and my currents shoes break... and my backup pairs are basically broken too lol. Game almost seems to detect it though because i've often found new boots right after putting on leaf sandals. Chiral Boots are best reward imo. The person who gives them out is somewhere I never feel like going, forget who even but it requires a really annoying car ride and iirc not enough zips there to skip it.

I wish there were more of a reward for clearing out BTs the "right" way, sneakin around cutting their cords. Beeg BTs should also be cord-cuttable, feels bad grenading them. But everytime i nearly clear out a BT zone, I accidentally throw a punch when I was trying to cord cut and then that last friggin bt snags me and i have to fight/run from boss. How many times do i need to learn the lesson to just set my stuff down, go get caught, run away, and the BT zone is clear in 1/10th the time of the nicer way.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 2, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chiral Boots are from the Artist's mom, in the SE corner of central region. The level 3 Bridges boots are pretty much the same so I just ran off a copy of those whenever I needed new kicks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Chiral boots last longer and are shiny gold, the best shiny colour in the game.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Very Hard definitely makes your stamina deplete way faster, shoes go bad way faster, and sam get tired way faster (as in the stamina cap). I love it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was wondering why all my ziplines were basically level 2 and I've been hauling materials around to upgrade, even the ones on peaks where i pretty much break my face if i dismount there at all and I just now realized it's not boosting my range at all. i have some really wonky routes between things, especially now a year+ later on a new version, but i'm often bandwidth locked and my spaghetti mess is such that i cant really remove anything without cutting myself off somewhere else. I got weird poo poo like if I wanna zip from evo-devo to paleontologist i basically gotta zip to heartman, then to geologist, then to paleontologist, but there's almost a zip connection right between them, just need like a 25 meter boost between em, blegh.

is there a way to refresh online connections, if i clear out some of these dumb ramps and cannons do i get another chance to spawn online ziplines if i rest or something? if i got the right online zipline in the right place i could probably remove several of mine to make a better network without scrapping it all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

These transport trike variants are excellent. Are they new to the Director's Cut?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Yeah I don't recall one with a trailer from the original.

re: boots, I had to wear sandal weed yesterday because I got knocked out by Mules and they stole my shoes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love the newish cyberpunk bike, zooooom!!

What rank did y'all get for the ranked order at timefall? I got a shameful 90-95%. The highway is a bad route but i dont have a good ziplinbe setup from timefall to mama to film director like I should and used to with onliners. Plus my trip to highway was awful almost ran into waterfall, bike stuck in rocks several times, only good stretch was the rocky magma field, got through there superfast... then got stuck a few feet in front of base lol. pathetic 90-95% score, only 5% of people did worse than my 7 minutes 5% damage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

Yeah I don't recall one with a trailer from the original.

ok that's what i thought lol

in related news, Jump Ramps are loving sweet too

i'm really digging all the new non-zipline traversal stuff

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Really stupid question, but I have a Steam copy of the original. When I port over to the Director's Cut, is it going to duplicate my achievements? Normally I wouldn't care but my Achievement Showcase is going to look dumb if its all Death Stranding. :ohdear:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stare-Out posted:

This is pretty much the only game where I never run unless I'm running away from something or I'm doing a timed delivery. Otherwise I always walk at a leisurely pace and take in the scenery and the atmosphere and think about the story and the world and whatnot. I kind of wish there was more incentive to stop and rest and to drink but they're both for restoring stamina so you only ever really need to do one unless you're out of water Monster Energy Beer.

Plant shoes seem to have some kind of stealth buff. Which is easy to forget even exists once you unlock blood grenades and up for combat. But it has also lead to me going through hip deep snow with a hover carrier behind me rattling and banging and just cruising by BT's through the entirely sensible power of wearing plant sandals in a snow drift.

Snuffman posted:

Really stupid question, but I have a Steam copy of the original. When I port over to the Director's Cut, is it going to duplicate my achievements? Normally I wouldn't care but my Achievement Showcase is going to look dumb if its all Death Stranding. :ohdear:
Yes it dupes your achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Snuffman posted:

The Director's Cut is an entirely separate game, not a DLC, so yeah.