Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

necrobobsledder posted:

Those are semi-scripted and have been around since release (V can intervene and change outcomes IIRC). They're more frequent perhaps now similar to fights between Tyger Claws and Maelstrom in some fixed sites. But there's really only one outcome when NCPD are involved - they win and start to investigate mulling around or sit semi-idle resting just like after a gang shoot-out.

The police chases are new to 1.5, I think you’re talking about the crimes in progress events. And even those will sometimes have the NCPD lose if you don’t intervene. At least the small one you encounter going into Pacifica from Downtown can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Robobot posted:

The police chases are new to 1.5, I think you’re talking about the crimes in progress events. And even those will sometimes have the NCPD lose if you don’t intervene. At least the small one you encounter going into Pacifica from Downtown can.

Yeah I know about the fixed skirmishes between cops and gangs and gangs vs gangs, and lemme tell you the cops really don't like it if you pop a couple extra rounds into the not quite dead gangoons in those areas. The fastest "Helping the city" to "Fuuuuuuuuuuuck Me the cops are trying to kill me" turn arounds ever.

Next time I see a chase I'll follow to see if I can get involved, sounds like an amusing diversion.

Speaking of fixers chewing me out, gently caress you Regina and Mumar. Don't call my work sloppy when you didn't specify that I shouldn't kill every dude in the area! If you want quiet infiltration then say so in the brief! Specifically this happens with the eye retrival mission for Regina and another I'm drawing a blank on for Mumar.

Rogue was however right to scold me for killing that one corpo dude, that's on me for not paying close enough attention to the update saying to take the dude to the car, but on the other hand he was loving over workers sooooooo.........

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If they want you to not kill people they always say to be "discreet" or some variation of that.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

joylessdivision posted:

Speaking of fixers chewing me out, gently caress you Regina and Mumar. Don't call my work sloppy when you didn't specify that I shouldn't kill every dude in the area! If you want quiet infiltration then say so in the brief! Specifically this happens with the eye retrival mission for Regina and another I'm drawing a blank on for Mumar.

Padre chewed me out a bit for stealing a van and returning it slightly... worse for wear. In a very "OK, nice work but can you not hit every single thing on the drive back perhaps" way, but, well, I was being shot at.

Relatedly, you can come across occasional chemical spills and cleanup teams. Turns out the NCPD frown upon stealing their hazmat vans for fun

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

If they want you to not kill people they always say to be "discreet" or some variation of that.

Could have sworn the two missions I'm thinking of neither mentioned being discreet or anything just "Handle it" but maybe I didn't read the brief close enough. Oh well.

Two Owls posted:

Padre chewed me out a bit for stealing a van and returning it slightly... worse for wear. In a very "OK, nice work but can you not hit every single thing on the drive back perhaps" way, but, well, I was being shot at.

Relatedly, you can come across occasional chemical spills and cleanup teams. Turns out the NCPD frown upon stealing their hazmat vans for fun

I periodically find myself out in the badlands and whoops those two Militech dudes just standing on the side of the rode keeled over and died puking their guts out, guess I'll borrow that big rear end truck!

Stealing cop cars and driving like a lunatic rear end in a top hat with the sirens blaring is also extremely entertaining. Whose going to complain that an NCPD vehicle rear ended them? Nobody that's who.

Also I noticed after getting into a couple of collisions with other cars, you can kill the driver in the accident. I've taken a corner too fast a number of times and side swiped another car to have it's horn just blaring because the driver is dead leaning on the wheel. Whoops

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Two Owls posted:

If you find a spot where the NCPD have pulled another driver over and are talking to them next to the car, you can just jump into the parked car (not the NCPD vehicle, the one that they have pulled over) and drive off without it bothering anyone though :v:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've seen the name "Kerry" mentioned a few times ITT - I'm guessing I missed a notable NPC?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did you finish the game without doing Johnny’s side quests?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I almost missed them, so I can understand how someone might. Was ready to start the point of no return, figuring I'd leave some side missions for a future playthrough then realised I'd not done some stuff I'd heard about and turned out one side mission led to that fairly important mission chain and then more side jobs started turning up while I was doing it.

Edit: I actually like that though. There's a ton of side stuff you can just not do or see. I mean I'm not sure if that's a 1.5 thing or if it was always that way, but I appreciate a game that isn't afraid to let you go through it and just bypass some of the ~content~ rather than railroading you into every single cool set piece

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 1, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've seen the name "Kerry" mentioned a few times ITT - I'm guessing I missed a notable NPC?

Kerry is on the critical path in a minor 2022 appearance, but he's still around in 2077 if you do Johnny's quests.

I missed him on my first game as well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's good to leave at least some side quests and gigs for the end of the game, because Kerry's questline doesn't become available until almost the end of the main quest and has a lot of "wait one day for the next phase of this quest" periods, and you'll want to have something to do while waiting

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

hobbesmaster posted:

Did you finish the game without doing Johnny’s side quests?

Ah, that would be why. I have Chippin In as a sidequest but it was stuck on "Wait a day for Rogue to Call" forever. I had a bunch of sidequests stuck on that when I decided to just finish the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the wait conditions for sidequests can really screw you because time moves surprisingly slowly and some sidequests are gated behind main quest completion, so you can trip and fall into the endgame before even getting the call you're waiting for

judy's sidequest takes bloody forever to pop

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think sleeping at your apartment now gives you an xp boost so at least there's that now

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cool bonus for showering

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Cool bonus for showering

Thanks for this, I hadn't noticed anything pop up from the shower.

Where can I find these various effects when they are active? I had noticed a small icon with a counter near the health bar or something like that. I was just wondering if I can actually look at what I'm benefiting from -- kind of like when you have magical benefits in Skyrim and could check it in the UI.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Svanja posted:

Where can I find these various effects when they are active? I had noticed a small icon with a counter near the health bar or something like that. I was just wondering if I can actually look at what I'm benefiting from -- kind of like when you have magical benefits in Skyrim and could check it in the UI.

It's the icons by the health bar yeah. The only three I know off hand (aside from a quick hack cooldown) is the XP icon for sleeping, the dodge icon for when you're slowed or something, and the shopping bag is over encumbered.

I never use consumables other than health packs so I'm not sure what the icon for "Hydrated" is.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I finally started playing this a couple weeks ago now the PS5 version is out, and I think this is the best implementation of 3d audio I've heard yet. I can close my eyes and pinpoint exactly where every sound is coming from.

In addition to that, this game is everything I hoped it would be. I'm so glad I waited until it was tidied up to play it. Consistently blows my mind with the level of detail and care put into everything, the environment is unmatched.
Finding the combat and ui a little fussy and clumsy, accidentally done important things which is annoying. Not ideal but also not enough to make me dislike it, I'm in for the world and the story.

Edit: but here's a thing. Why the gently caress does rest mode not work with this game? Every single time I go into rest mode with it running I get a green screen crash and my PS5 has to rebuild the database. No other game has ever done this, and for this it's 100% of the time.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 2, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Svanja posted:

Long pressing Alt will show you active effect names on PC.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

v1ld posted:

Thank you! That's a huge help.

I noticed something funny this evening when I headed to River's place to rest again. I was talking to him on the steps and he looked like he couldn't wake up. His eyes would stay closed through most of the conversation with a few looks and then back to sleepytime again. I'm going to go by there the next time I play and see if it's like that again, but it made me wonder if it's a bug from waking up next to him sleeping in the morning, as if he gets a bit stuck with the sleeping face.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Svanja posted:

as if he gets a bit stuck with the sleeping face.

who among us,

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Much as I'm loving the game, the one thing that feels really off is the lack of action relating to driving. There are the races with Claire, a couple of scripted sequences and then that's it. Cops cars don't chase you, there's the rare (I've seen it like twice in 60 hours) event where you see cops chasing gangoons, and you can't shoot from your vehicle. I mean I know it's not GTA, but some of the weirdness that's still there around vehicle pathfinding where cars just casually drive into each other during conversations or pile up against your parked car if you go to do a mission make me wonder if they just couldn't get anything beyond basic driving working in time for release.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the driving cutscenes didnt even work on release, aiming was impossible and the bullets lagged behind your crosshair

and it didnt even matter if you hit anyway

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

been rewatching 2049 again.

the cartoonish, pulpy aspects of the cyberpunk setting detracts. doesn't it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Much as I'm loving the game, the one thing that feels really off is the lack of action relating to driving. There are the races with Claire, a couple of scripted sequences and then that's it. Cops cars don't chase you, there's the rare (I've seen it like twice in 60 hours) event where you see cops chasing gangoons, and you can't shoot from your vehicle. I mean I know it's not GTA, but some of the weirdness that's still there around vehicle pathfinding where cars just casually drive into each other during conversations or pile up against your parked car if you go to do a mission make me wonder if they just couldn't get anything beyond basic driving working in time for release.

The driving systems were never finished. In quests where you have to shoot while driving almost everything is scripted.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i really likes the game but watching any quest where I had to sit in the passenger seat while River drove somewhere was like watching a drunk guy walk next to a ledge or something

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

v1ld posted:

I have played close to 350 hours of this game and I just figured out that tapping X (Series X) while driving turns on the headlights.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Driving is bad. I mean it's better than it has been, compared to the previous patches driving is actually manageable in vehicles beyond just motorcycles but it's still super hit or miss depending on the car your in. Tbh, Claire's race quest line is good, but it not because of the races themselves, which are piss easy until the last one.

Sinnerman probably has the worst car chase sequence in the game. I understand what they were going for, but the triggers for the other cars to get in your way are timed just slightly off or something and it makes what should be an intense chase sequence well....not.

As someone who spends entirely too much time just cruising around NC, motorcycles are of course the number one choice, but the the really nice cars like the Caliburn you get from the "Murk Man" quest or some of the sports cars you can buy from fixers (or the car Dino gives you for clearing all his gigs) are actually delightful to drive. Handle well, good FOV if you want to drive first person and fast as hell.

Fair warning I did barrel roll the Caliburn leaving the Badlands because I hit one of those railroad crossings too fast and the car did a perfect spin and landed and kept going, so while the sports cars generally handled way way better, they're also prone to flying with enough speed and the right impact.

The car I'm legit most shocked by is the Maimai P126, the little boxy smart car looking thing. It's a shockingly smooth ride and that little bastard has some get up and go.

I've reached the point on my save where I have so much money I can probably buy every for sale vehicle in the game, and have been working on doing that because achievements.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Did they take away the Caliburn in the Badlands tunnel? I looked for it but the container it was in seems to be missing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Have you done the panam quest in that tunnel yet?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Driving itself is alright, since I get to ooh and ahh at those cool interiors (I love the E-paper-ish screen on the MaiMai, which does a great job at instantly looking like a low cost city car), but any time driving has to deal with things like racing or car chases, it just doesn't work quite right

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

I have played close to 350 hours of this game and I just figured out that tapping X (Series X) while driving turns on the headlights.

There's a PC mod that adds a key for rolling your windows up and down, which is a thing in the core game itself. So maybe there's a button for that too on consoles?

It's cool how much detail was put into cars, vehicles in general really, and just hoe many there are.

Good NPC driving AI would be huge but I suspect really hard to do with the sheer amount of traffic and pedestrians in the game.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Have you done the panam quest in that tunnel yet?

Yup, and I remember the container being there during the quest in my first playthrough when I went back to see what was in it later, but the box wasn't even there during the quest event this time around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It was there for me, a month or so ago (post patch 1.5).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

It was there for me, a month or so ago (post patch 1.5).

Well drat. Wonder what happened to drop Murk Man out of mine. Now I'll have to save up to buy one.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Midjack posted:

Well drat. Wonder what happened to drop Murk Man out of mine. Now I'll have to save up to buy one.

I checked this for you and it looks like its now available after 40 street cred and players are saying to go between 11pm and midnight. Looks like they moved the container to the city side of the tunnel, as well.

Thanks for reminding me I had to go back, too!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Svanja posted:

I checked this for you and it looks like its now available after 40 street cred and players are saying to go between 11pm and midnight. Looks like they moved the container to the city side of the tunnel, as well.

Thanks for reminding me I had to go back, too!

Aha! I am SC39; I will go out there after I run a few more errands. Thanks! :cheerdoge:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My biggest beef with driving is that the cars feel like you're driving an F1 car without any downward momentum. These things are slick on the road and handle like they weigh 5 pounds. I don't mind the turn radius or acceleration speeds (though the breaks could stop the car a bit faster) but hit any kind of bump or take a turn at any kind of speed and you'll be flying through the air and sliding all over the place.

The Nomad cars have superior handling insomuch that you can take turns better at speed and can get your car under control easier, but the weight problem is still there.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Midjack posted:

Did they take away the Caliburn in the Badlands tunnel? I looked for it but the container it was in seems to be missing.

In my playthrough pre-patch 1.5, it wasn't there for me, either. The one car in the game I wasn't able to collect.

Seems that's one bug that hasn't been fixed, unfortunately.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Midjack posted:

I tried to get it right after Panam's mission in the tunnel and it wasn't there, but I received a note or text or ... something, I don't remember what a few hours later and it was there waiting to be picked up. Not sure if that's unusual, but that's how it went for me in my post-1.5 playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Toaster Beef posted:

I tried to get it right after Panam's mission in the tunnel and it wasn't there, but I received a note or text or ... something, I don't remember what a few hours later and it was there waiting to be picked up. Not sure if that's unusual, but that's how it went for me in my post-1.5 playthrough.
For me it just appeared as one of the yellow '!' side job markers on the map at some point after the Panam mission, nothing to indicate what exactly it was until I drove out and looked at it.