Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Magic posted:

my brand new baby girl, born Tuesday, started having seizures yesterday right before discharge because of a perinatal stroke. very scary for the first few hours, but they solved it and she is in terrific hands. the seizures have stopped and they’re talking about releasing her to come home Monday. prognosis is very positive

juuuuuust happened to walk by the doctor team of the new baby neighbor being treated next door and heard distinctly that she’s Covid+

god loving dammit

Living with COVID loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mdemone posted:

one of my favorite things is when people ask me "do you think it will become endemic", yep it'll be just the common cold.

in fifty thousand years.

“…because it will drive host evolution.”

hekaton posted:

also some of the ways that pathogens become less lethal over time is that people with suboptimal MHC alleles for presenting immunogenic antigens for a particular disease die off. and then over time more people are carrying the good alleles for handling a particular pathogen so its less harmful to the population.

so its not like its getting weaker so much as everyone who would be susceptible is getting dead

Hey now, you can’t put it in such plain English!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
hmmm. ridiculous number of ambulances running past to the old folks place down the road today. im sure its nothing

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Perth, which didn't have widespread covid until this year despite no restrictions other than interstate travel, finds out living with covid actually sucks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRhptT1iUU

The shop owners and property owners want the mask mandate to go away because say people are choosing to stay home rather than wear a mask.

It's all the mask's fault you see.

Man we should have figured this poo poo out ages ago. Could have saved on prisons by instead sentencing law breakers to the horror that is wearing a little mask whenever they go outside.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Animal-Mother posted:

Facebook of the Dead?

thread title plz. leave this odious one behind.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
drat now I want to read hell-twitter

I think it's just called "Twitter".

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Hello from Washington State

How has no one thrown a Molotov cocktail at that poo poo yet? That and the loving Jefferson Davis memorial right next to I-5? Such bullshit

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trying to imagine what it's like to be the kind of person who hates public libraries so much you purchase a billboard saying your child will get taken by a pedophile there, drawing a complete blank

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

navier-stoked posted:

ya, covid's over. that's what we've all been saying. so many are saying this.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Living with COVID loving sucks.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

trying to imagine what it's like to be the kind of person who hates public libraries so much you purchase a billboard saying your child will get taken by a pedophile there, drawing a complete blank

basically any conservative

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Today for work I went to a customer site at a company that makes doors/windows. I was of course one of the only people who bothered to wear any sort of mask. Apparently Friday is cleaning day in production and there was so much dust in the air everyone but me was coughing up a storm the whole time I was there. The dust is not just sawdust from wood, but also fiberglass and whatever the gently caress else they put in their products, even if the air wasn't full of covid I'd wear my n95 to keep the rest of that poo poo out of my lungs. I was covered in it when I got home and immediately changed/showered. No one else seemed to think breathing that stuff in was unusual or bad. Workers on the production line there must breathe that stuff 40+ hours a week. I'm still kind of blown away by it. :rubby:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Gravid Topiary posted:

i got the xkcd variant and it's been pretty bland so far

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dxt posted:

Today for work I went to a customer site at a company that makes doors/windows. I was of course one of the only people who bothered to wear any sort of mask. Apparently Friday is cleaning day in production and there was so much dust in the air everyone but me was coughing up a storm the whole time I was there. The dust is not just sawdust from wood, but also fiberglass and whatever the gently caress else they put in their products, even if the air wasn't full of covid I'd wear my n95 to keep the rest of that poo poo out of my lungs. I was covered in it when I got home and immediately changed/showered. No one else seemed to think breathing that stuff in was unusual or bad. Workers on the production line there must breathe that stuff 40+ hours a week. I'm still kind of blown away by it. :rubby:

the best part of covid is definitely that an enormous number of people will now refuse to wear masks for real occupational hazards like silica dust. silicosis is cumulative, incurable, and dramatically reduces your lung capacity until either you die or you get a lung transplant. lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
real occupational hazards as opposed to fake occupational hazards like covid, which is over and also just the flu

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Stereotype posted:

the best part of covid is definitely that an enormous number of people will now refuse to wear masks for real occupational hazards like silica dust. silicosis is cumulative, incurable, and dramatically reduces your lung capacity until either you die or you get a lung transplant. lol

these workers were likely left to let their lungs die before covid made things worse. Just handling their parts by hand where I work gave me so many tiny cuts (slivers?) in my hands, I won't touch them without gloves anymore. I don't want to even think about what that dust does to someone's lungs.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

cr0y posted:

Do we think it's possible covid will fitness trap itself or nah because of the multiple animal reservoirs?

It's going to be a lot of fun finding out! I think the fact there are multiple reservoirs ain't great, especially when you factor in the ease of covid recombination with other betacoroniviruses that are widespread in mammal populations. But like lol, we already have our hands full as it is, unless some covid supermutant emerges animal reservoirs aren't going to be a factor in our ability to eradicate the disease for awhile IMO.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"
Fitness whole trap in my cheeser lungs as I get reinfected for the sixth time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dxt posted:

these workers were likely left to let their lungs die before covid made things worse. Just handling their parts by hand where I work gave me so many tiny cuts (slivers?) in my hands, I won't touch them without gloves anymore. I don't want to even think about what that dust does to someone's lungs.

yeah a shitload of people were getting silicosis from quartz countertop places because they are apparently all over and basically unregulated and employ people who don't know better with employers who don't give a poo poo

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2019/10/29/silicosis-countertop/

all you need to do is use more water while cutting and wear a mask, but we just have to learn to live with modern day black lung and the resulting disabilities and deaths

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
when bad things happen you just have to sigh and shrug. there's no way that anything can change in any situation. every event is random and nothing can effect it at all. we are unthinking cogs in the capitalism machine, which always spontaneously creates the most optimal way for everything to happen. it is our purpose to toil and consume.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CDC should bring their silicosis guidance in line.

You only have to wear a mask if the hospitals in your county are full, and you never have to wear a NIOSH-rated respirator.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

Eschewing PPE at work to own the libs

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Someone told me there are certain industries that disqualify you from taking an MRI, just due to the ambient level of metal fragments embedding into you as a day-to-day occurence. If safety measures aren't mandated and enforced, it's a pretty safe bet that they aren't generally being followed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/bobbyjohnnow/status/1510031830023553025?s=21

anyone see any studies of the military vaccine that was supposed to work on all variants?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Allstone posted:

Someone told me there are certain industries that disqualify you from taking an MRI, just due to the ambient level of metal fragments embedding into you as a day-to-day occurence. If safety measures aren't mandated and enforced, it's a pretty safe bet that they aren't generally being followed.

this screws with electricians out here who don't wear a face shield while using a grinder or one of those pipe threader machines, they end up with eyeballs brimming with little shards of metal - both from the piece they're grinding and the grinder wheel and then they can't get an MRI after they have a road rage stroke or whatever

i assume most of the building trades have this sort of problem because wearing proper PPE is for cowards, just ask all the welders who squint for eye protection instead of those welding visors

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Joementum posted:

here's the HHS Test to Treat page

https://aspr.hhs.gov/TestToTreat/Pages/default.aspx

they have a locator that may have a pharmacy near you that will prescribe after a positive test. there's also a phone line you can call 1-800-232-0233

Thoguh posted:

quoting so I can find this post later

Joementum posted:

here's a link to a place that tracks what pharmacies have anti-COVID medications in stock. https://covid-19-therapeutics-locator-dhhs.hub.arcgis.com/

any doctor can prescribe it. if you get pushback, tell them you have one of the CDC's "certain medical conditions" that put you at higher risk of complications from COVID (not judging but you almost certainly have one of these)

you might not even need a doctor: here's the HHS Test to Treat page https://aspr.hhs.gov/TestToTreat/Pages/default.aspx

they have a locator that may have a pharmacy near you that may prescribe after a positive test. there's also a phone line you can call 1-800-232-0233

Tzen has issued a correction as of 08:44 on Apr 2, 2022

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dustcat posted:

they have a system based on the hospital overflow risk now

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

my brand new baby girl, born Tuesday, started having seizures yesterday right before discharge because of a perinatal stroke. very scary for the first few hours, but they solved it and she is in terrific hands. the seizures have stopped and they’re talking about releasing her to come home Monday. prognosis is very positive

juuuuuust happened to walk by the doctor team of the new baby neighbor being treated next door and heard distinctly that she’s Covid+

god loving dammit
loving hell man

Captain Magic posted:

the rooms are actually rooms with doors and walls and everything, and this is like one of the absolute best children’s hospitals in the world, and I have the mini corsi cube I built on and running 24/7, but gdi gdi I am freaked the gently caress out
you're doing everything you can, hope it all turns out alright

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

it’s pretty shocking how many people are dead and how little everyone seems to care.
had a bullshit hallway chat with a colleague today
i haven't seen them in a mask for months
they complained that their kid never finishes their meals
just as i was about to relate, they continued on that the waitstaff were nice at least, and that their food was delicious and the leftovers made for their lunch today
this person has been covid+ 2 times now
their son is 9 and has also previously been covid+
this person has plans to fly to arizona in a few weeks to visit relatives and dump their kid off for spring break
lmao
:theroni:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1509957525747154947
https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1509965144700325893/photo/1

also holy poo poo alaska/iowa/NE

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/bobbyjohnnow/status/1510031830023553025?s=21

anyone see any studies of the military vaccine that was supposed to work on all variants?

If the Omicron-specific shot was scuppered due to original antigenic sin, that wouldn't bode well for the multi-variant shot, would it?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i mean i guess it was mostly old people who died, but still 320,000 dead people under 65 is a lot. only like 33,000 people under 40 died, but that's about how many die in car accidents and we also care and try really hard to keep that number low. i mean or i thought we cared, apparently we don't. sometimes things just kill tens of thousands of people and oh well, gotta move on. no way we could possibly prevent anything like that from happening again

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when liberals claimed to be Very Concerned that asking regulators for and update on the kids’ vaccine timeline would be a corrosive political influence on America’s world‐class public health institutions?

:rubby:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Chamale posted:

Just humans, cows, and pigs make up half of all land vertebrate biomass.

drat cats really punching above their weight when it comes to eliminating things in this post from the world.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Stereotype posted:

i mean i guess it was mostly old people who died, but still 320,000 dead people under 65 is a lot. only like 33,000 people under 40 died, but that's about how many die in car accidents and we also care and try really hard to keep that number low. i mean or i thought we cared, apparently we don't. sometimes things just kill tens of thousands of people and oh well, gotta move on. no way we could possibly prevent anything like that from happening again

So what’s your solution here, are we just supposed to make everybody pay extra for cars with safety features and have the police go around writing tickets for people who don’t use the safety features? Nice try, Fidel, this is America, you can’t just control people because you’re scared. My newborn rides on the dashboard until he’s big enough to go on the floor without me keeping an eye on him.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

drat cats really punching above their weight when it comes to eliminating things in this post from the world.

that’s why we love them, they’re stupid 10 pound apex predators we domesticated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Estonia is lifting mask mandates tomorrow.
Currently, masks must be worn on public transport and in public indoor spaces.
Compliance has been... surprisingly good, I'd say. Well, the letter of the law, that is - lots of idiots dicknosing and seeing an FFP2 mask is rare.
I'll keep wearing the auras.

I'm mad but I've also resigned to this all :) covid is over, as everybody in this thread knows :)

in conclusion: only respirator trust.