Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

See I've just saw one in silver and up close the weird stripey plastics on it look really cheap. And it's the size of a van.

It’s the size of a CRV or RAV-4 or whatever else in its class. The styling is deceptive but it’s not that big, at least relative to all the other things on the road in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's 2 inches lower than the current gen Rav4 & CR-V, if wikipedia is to be believed. So it's definitely a little bit lower than your typical compact SUV.

Pray for me thread, pulled the trigger on the E91. I don't WANT to sell the Focus, but I just have too low of a threshold for its bullshit lol. If I can 12,000 miles out of this thing without issue I'll be a happy camper.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 1, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Looks normal sized to me.

I am six and a half feet tall.

It is funny to me though because anytime people are saying "god drat thing is too big" about a car it means I'm saying "gently caress yeah maybe I'll actually be comfortable in this thing!"

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Probably going to go E91 instead actually, found one for a decent price and I don't think it'll depreciate too much by the time I can get my hands on this new Corolla. Whereas I think the F31 would.

I dunno, dealer I'm going to today has a bunch of cool poo poo in my price range / form factor of choice; Veloster N, a bunch of Minis, Golf R, the F31/E91 I just mentioned.

Depending on what year the F31 is you’re probably not looking at big depreciation either way. BMW wagons always command dumb prices.

Avoid the N20 engine if possible.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I've just always treated the ionic5 as basically avery lowered CX5 size wise.

I tried driving a Kona as a rental and it's just too loving small. There were 2 if us for work with suitcases and backpacks, and it was just going to be too small for a week.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Now I'm picturing a Sonata wagon.

lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

I've just always treated the ionic5 as basically avery lowered CX5 size wise.

I tried driving a Kona as a rental and it's just too loving small. There were 2 if us for work with suitcases and backpacks, and it was just going to be too small for a week.

This doesn’t compute… 2 suit cases and 2 backpacks didn’t fit? Or 4 suitcases and 2 backpacks? Even then, just put the seats down?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Russian Bear posted:

This doesn’t compute… 2 suit cases and 2 backpacks didn’t fit? Or 4 suitcases and 2 backpacks? Even then, just put the seats down?

im picturing insanely big dudes or comical oversized suitcases

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

I can see it. We borrowed my brother in law’s Niro and it was great for senora chupacabrona and I on a weekend trip but I’d hate to have to bring a third person’s worth of stuff. It didn’t feel any bigger than my A3 hatch on the inside

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

It was 2 full suitcases, 2 full backpacks.Neither of us are gigantic people. It was a weird combination of things that lead to us saying gently caress no, and instead getting in a tried and true rental Camry. In the Kona, laying down the seats was weird because to do so and make it flat, it seemed the backseats would bump into the front seats. So where both of us would normally sit position wise was going to be weird. Plus just the idea of having to re-adjust any of the above in the event we picked up a coworker for dinner or some other reason... just didn't seem fun at all.
I don't know in my head I was thinking a Kona was going to be about GTI size and similar interior, but it just felt cramped and small.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

It was 2 full suitcases, 2 full backpacks.Neither of us are gigantic people. It was a weird combination of things that lead to us saying gently caress no, and instead getting in a tried and true rental Camry. In the Kona, laying down the seats was weird because to do so and make it flat, it seemed the backseats would bump into the front seats. So where both of us would normally sit position wise was going to be weird. Plus just the idea of having to re-adjust any of the above in the event we picked up a coworker for dinner or some other reason... just didn't seem fun at all.
I don't know in my head I was thinking a Kona was going to be about GTI size and similar interior, but it just felt cramped and small.

Isn't it true that the majority of SUV's built on the same platforms as regular hatchbacks actually have less interior space despite looking larger on the outside? That was my impression anyway.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Something like that. CUVs use wizardry and dark magic.
My wife's CRV is within 2 inches of my CX5 but somehow the cargo volume withe the seats down is 76 cu ft in hers vs 60 cu ft in mine. Packaging and engineering get nuts sometimes.

It's also fun to imagine how much room certain cars have looking at them on the outside, but when you pop the rear lift, it may or may not be true. It's funny how 2 suitcases slide easily both in and side by side in 1 car, and in another car which seems close to same size, they won't. Or they involve seats moves up or headrests being removed to make it work.

Looking again at the ionic5, it's cargo volume with the seats down is 59 cu ft. So it really is close to a CX5 size in a lot of ways.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Blackhawk posted:

Isn't it true that the majority of SUV's built on the same platforms as regular hatchbacks actually have less interior space despite looking larger on the outside? That was my impression anyway.

Not really. They usually have similar amounts of interior space if they're built on the same platform. But they tend to be heavier and larger on the outside.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Franco Caution posted:

Something like that. CUVs use wizardry and dark magic.
My wife's CRV is within 2 inches of my CX5 but somehow the cargo volume withe the seats down is 76 cu ft in hers vs 60 cu ft in mine. Packaging and engineering get nuts sometimes.

It's also fun to imagine how much room certain cars have looking at them on the outside, but when you pop the rear lift, it may or may not be true. It's funny how 2 suitcases slide easily both in and side by side in 1 car, and in another car which seems close to same size, they won't. Or they involve seats moves up or headrests being removed to make it work.

Looking again at the ionic5, it's cargo volume with the seats down is 59 cu ft. So it really is close to a CX5 size in a lot of ways.

Isn’t that the same as a Honda Fit

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LibCrusher posted:

Honda Fit and the HR-V share the same chassis, but holy poo poo is it roomy on the inside for what it is

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LibCrusher posted:

Yes, but the Honda fit cannot be purchased new in America and 5 year old ones cost as much as a brand new Civic.

I'm the local subcompact car lover, because they usually have pretty great packaging to make up for their small footprint. The weirdest example of that is the Niro, which people accurately called out here as having near zero cargo space. It may not have any room for stuff in the hatch, but the passenger packaging means that it fits two six foot tall adults in front of two rear facing car seats better than a drat RAV4, which surprised and confused me.

The current rav4 passenger seat is mounted way too high, and you only get height adjustment on the top trims.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I think another thing that's a bit deceptive about all of these CUVs is how they sell cargo space. Super high bulbous rooflines sure would allow you to transport a lot of balloons, but without a deep enough cargo area you are always left laying poo poo horizontally and playing Tetris.

I see the CX-50 getting slagged for its low cargo volume but it looks like a way more practical than most CUVs to me

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

Yeah I have a Polo and a friend of mine used to have a mini. Both roughly the same size on the outside but there felt like zero space inside the mini and the boot was tiny, while I can fit two full-suspension mountain bikes into the polo (if I take both wheels off). You obviously sacrificed a lot of interior volume for the aesthetic in that car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not really. They usually have similar amounts of interior space if they're built on the same platform. But they tend to be heavier and larger on the outside.

The Kona is smaller internally and extentally compared to the i30 hatchback

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Math You posted:

I think another thing that's a bit deceptive about all of these CUVs is how they sell cargo space. Super high bulbous rooflines sure would allow you to transport a lot of balloons, but without a deep enough cargo area you are always left laying poo poo horizontally and playing Tetris.

People need to get a true boxy CUV like a old Forester and park it next to today's CUV to really see the problem. Or park a CUV next to a true wagon if you really want a laugh.The usable space is just complete poo poo especially with the modern trend of overly curvy tailgates.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

People need to get a true boxy CUV like a old Forester and park it next to today's CUV to really see the problem. Or park a CUV next to a true wagon if you really want a laugh.The usable space is just complete poo poo especially with the modern trend of overly curvy tailgates.

I think it's like trucks. People want the idea of 'wow I can move so much stuff!' but never actually do/try to, so they have no idea how much of a pita it is to fit stuff in them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone talk me out of this car, besides I don't really drive manual, this sounds fantastic and I need to replace my car soon

Edit its relatively new

The Honda Fit exists

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

The Honda Fit exists

A 5 year older Honda Fit costs twice as much: https://www.theverge.com/22923871/carvana-pandemic-used-car-prices-sold-online-chip-shortage

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yikes triple what I shopped 3 years ago lol.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I remember the first HR-V had an ad campaign where it was given the 'Joy Machine' tagline. This version looks like it was designed to embody 2022; dull, depressed, steadily worse than before.

https://twitter.com/roadshow/status/1510967089762549760?s=20&t=23Silg2EeYbq1knhFyOg0w

The first HR-V was basically a lifted box Civic from the 80s/90s with Integra front lights and it was a great looking thing, the 3 door especially.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 4, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not sure what it is, but that front end doesn't look like a Honda.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

No hybrid option for a grocery getter? For MY2023? WTF honda.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Meanwhile Jalopnik thinks it looks amazing lmao. It's just another bland CUV in a sea of them. No Hybrid is very baffling.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lmao the US is getting the fuggo version, look at the Indonesian market HR-V

https://twitter.com/JaMtoka/status/1507364815345487876?s=20&t=WZRo-1Usoo8Pn2amsn4gpQ

Even the UK one is a visual shrug rather than the monstrosity the US is getting.

https://twitter.com/autocar/status/1502917432322703366?s=20&t=WZRo-1Usoo8Pn2amsn4gpQ

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

USA HR-V buyers are looking for cheap cheap cheap "CROSSOVER" "SUV". They don't want to pay for hybrid components. Every part of this thing is for cost cutting to get that MSRP down as low as it can go.

Does one nameplate usually have so many different designs for different markets? I thought Civic, Camry etc. are pretty much the same for different markets whereas the different HR-Vs seem pretty stark, and some get the hybrid.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
It looks to me like the Indonesia and UK get the same vehicle. They certainly share the same "hidden rear doors" profile. The two samples just have different trim. Whatever the difference, the Indonesian one looks the best.

It isn't unusual at all for Honda to make a model specifically for the US market. Sometimes that model sells in other places like China. The US HR-V is definitely the most dowdy looking of the bunch.

Hmm, in the Jalopnik article Honda claims the USDM HR-V is built on the 11th gen Civic platform. The old model was based on the Fit. Does the global model have a torsion beam (FWD)/DeDion tube (AWD) suspension (like the Fit) in the rear and the US now gets independent rear suspension (a la Civic)?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 4, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

phosdex posted:

I'm not sure what it is, but that front end doesn't look like a Honda.

It gives me mid-2000s Ford vibes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
all those slanted hatch "coupaaaay" cuv's hate larger pets :colbert:

just square the drat things off a bit more

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

the US grill is hilarious. They just took the new grill off the refreshed Ridgeline and Passport and stuck it in the whole to make it look different from the UK and Indonesia ones.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

all those slanted hatch "coupaaaay" cuv's hate larger pets :colbert:

just square the drat things off a bit more

What's the most interior-space-efficient boxxxy vehicle in the US now? The Kia Soul?

Scion xB and Honda Element are long dead

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Monkey Fracas posted:

What's the most interior-space-efficient boxxxy vehicle in the US now? The Kia Soul?

Scion xB and Honda Element are long dead

Also RIP Nissan Cube.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
What's the Bronco Sport like? That's got a squared off rear.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

the US grill is hilarious. They just took the new grill off the refreshed Ridgeline and Passport and stuck it in the whole to make it look different from the UK and Indonesia ones.

the entire car is different between world HR-V and US/Can HR-V.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

KakerMix posted:

What's the Bronco Sport like? That's got a squared off rear.

It's got pretty good reviews but like all Fords it's hard to get one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Honda and Acura are introducing a new tier of CPO-type vehicle, "True Used" and "Acura Precision Used". They say it's the same inspection as normal CPO, but now applied to cars as old as the 2012 model year with no mileage limit, meaning that you can buy a 2012 Honda for a premium price at a Honda dealer.

https://www.hondacertified.com/certified-preowned-benefits

I guess this fits the current market really well, because cars seem to be worth real money well past a decade old.