Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No kids is easy mode tho.

Yep. Won't disagree with that.

I have five brothers and two sisters. Only one of them has kids. Every member of my family has had covid because of that one guy's kids and also the one guy who works at a PA state university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tzen posted:

quote:

medical-style masks

This is a fetish for the NYT crowd.

gently caress no. Have blue collar masks on hand, the kind from the painting tools aisle at the hardware store.

Medical masks are garbage for babies. That is, unless you’re getting surgical N95s, you know, the ones that your paper wagged your fingers about for all of 2020.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

If you're going that route, why don't you just simply do the superior method of using one of those silica desiccant gel pack? A single one is much smaller than jamming loads of paper towel in your mask and they'll work much better at absorbing moisture.
speaking of silica packs, your Open Biden Test Kits from iHealth come with 2 inside them
i've since taped one inside my 3M Secure Click

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

kazmeyer posted:

That'll usually do it, but some folks just don't generate it from sunlight as efficiently (skin color/type) or their lifestyle doesn't lend itself to getting it the natural way. If you've got any doubts, better safe than sorry.

Yeah I know what vampires are dude

Tulip posted:

starting in july i got into weight loss and running, so now i have three unbearably boring but rather time consuming hobbies

My husband got into building bioactive vivariums and they’re beautiful and interesting and I’m glad he found a hobby he loves but they’re in like every room now and he just spent $150 on geckos to keep his poison dart frogs company.

Zeriel posted:

I want to present a TED talk about how I have been able to avoid contracting COVID so far.

I wear disposable respirators and don't eat at Denny's. Most presentations have less content that that and I'm sure I could stretch that to 30 to 60 minutes.

I’ve manage to stay covid free too, the key is to only let people spit in your mouth if they’ve been doing everything right.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

so today i did my monthly routine of cleaning my secure click ala this method,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKkFMyGkR0g
and i was lazy and used dishwashing detergent instead of the usual laundry detergent
didn't think it would matter but when i donned my mask to go grocery shopping the entire time my respirator had this awful gross chemical smell in it
so i'll be washing it again tomorrow with the usual laundry detergent
lol god damnit

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Kenny Klipps never misses

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1510320924444315652?s=21&t=k6C0FXIECPSUSiL1ch1LXA

Just mask consistently and don't be that guy that is "doing everything right" (masking to the restaurant table and taking it off to eat for 40 minutes). That's really all it takes.

Problem is, once the “doing everything right” person eventually catches it, they conclude not catching it is impossible and deliberately make it so, out of spite

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

man i just gotta gloat for a second and say - I have gotten really good at cutting my hair. Perfectly loving even A line bob and I ombre colored it light green to teal down.
:getin:
my wife has gotten really good at cutting the entire families hair as well, it rules

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cutting the your own hair with the aid of two mirrors is a weird feeling.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tzen posted:

:getin:
my wife has gotten really good at cutting the entire families hair as well, it rules

my father cut my hair when I visited them and it was a great memory. he got real snips from the internet and did a better job than anyone ive paid money to cut my hair in america. I’ll remember it fondly until I can no longer. :3:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I’m not very good at cutting my own hair but I’ve learned to lower my expectations so I’ve got that

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Do you have any idea how much I hate knowing loving anything about covid? Someone mentions gi issues my brain brings up an article, vitamin D, just read a study, ventilation questions, I got answers. I don’t want to know any of this dumb covid bullshit but my brain is stuffed with it. Dumb loving shithead pandemic, viruses are gross and I hate them.

Real Mean Queen posted:

Yeah it's like I got a new hobby against my will. I'm all buying accessories and looking stuff up all the time and boring the poo poo out of friends who aren't interested in hearing about it, it's exactly like I took up fishing or trying to modify guitar pedals or something.
lol it owns and it's awful and i hate it
the hours spent on this 'hobby' to keep myself & family safe
poo poo the loving money spent, lmao it has to be in the several thousands
kf94s & auras by the caseload, half-mask respirators, the hundreds of miles and gas spent to get vaccinated
all for the hobby of staying virus-free

edit, lmao the loving time spent just staying well informed
i could have read some loving books instead of preprints, studies, this thread, anything else, god damnit

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tulip posted:

starting in july i got into weight loss and running, so now i have three unbearably boring but rather time consuming hobbies
i will say listening to Death Panel Podcast while going on long runs has been a nice crossover of my 'hobbies' lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

me over the past year,
time to do a long run and do some death panel lets go
lmao cdc is changing the guidelines
lmao the past year of gaslighitng and awful biden admin choices
lmao hittin my pace perfectly
lmao loving a i pr'ed my half marathon
lmao omnicron is gonna gently caress poo poo uppppp loving fuuuck hope that order of masks comes through

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
drat if only there were some organization of professionals that could study this stuff and publish simple recommendations so that every member of the public didn’t have to.

Ah, well, nevertheless.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ahahahah

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Platystemon posted:

drat if only there were some organization of professionals that could study this stuff and publish simple recommendations so that every member of the public didn’t have to.

Ah, well, nevertheless.

But how could my respirator study data and publish recommendations?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Platystemon posted:

Fifteen minutes was pulled from some bureaucrat’s rear end. It has no basis in the scientific literature. Not even a bad one like “six feet”, just none whatsoever.

You can, in fact, catch COVID while walking past an infected person. One such case was conclusively documented in Australia before that continent fell to the plague.

Wait, so is walking past people outdoors while unmasked risky now? Not that I got out unmasked or at all, but I have family that might.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gandlethorpe posted:

Wait, so is walking past people outdoors while unmasked risky now? Not that I got out unmasked or at all, but I have family that might.

I wouldn’t describe it as “risky”, but it’s not risk‐free, either. There’s not some threshold that you need to cross to become infected. It’s all a spectrum of probabilities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Magic posted:

the Covid+ baby next door is like, inside a plastic cube with a mask hook-up and their nurses wear full clean suits, and *oh my god that poor child*, and also I am glad their air is not circulating

I would be incredibly dead if SARS‐CoV‐2 had existed when I was an infant.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Do you have any idea how much I hate knowing loving anything about covid? Someone mentions gi issues my brain brings up an article, vitamin D, just read a study, ventilation questions, I got answers. I don’t want to know any of this dumb covid bullshit but my brain is stuffed with it. Dumb loving shithead pandemic, viruses are gross and I hate them.

lol I kind of hate that I can’t un-know this thread and just fully open up my Biden like loving everyone else I know

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

My wife and I have managed to avoid covid just by

A> masking in enclosed spaces
B> Not eating at restaurants
C> Not exposing ourselves unnecessarily to high risk situations

That's all you have to do (if you don't have kids). I've had 60 year old lawyer cyclists cruise up next to me to hoot and holler about whatever the gently caress. I grocery shop once every two weeks. I hit the beer store twice a week or so. My wife has been going into the office in a building where 7,000+ people work regularly since November 2020.

Just mask consistently and don't be that guy that is "doing everything right" (masking to the restaurant table and taking it off to eat for 40 minutes). That's really all it takes.

also don’t live in an apartment building with a negligent landlord

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Trixie Hardcore posted:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I pop into this thread once a week, skipping thousands of posts at a time, and I still feel like I know too much to stay sane

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
”HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE COVID SINCE I WENT CAVE DOCTRINE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COVID THREAD. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR VIRUSES AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR COVID. HATE. HATE.”

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gandlethorpe posted:

Outdoor transmission risk is much lower than indoor but yeah if you’re walking past someone with covid you can catch covid. I did some research on this last week when trying to get an idea of how transmissible BA.2 is and the consensus with outdoor transmission seems to be yeah you should mask outdoors if people are there but most people won’t do it so why bother? Doctors say things like, “well I wear a mask outdoors but what’s most important is you wear a mask indoors”.

https://twitter.com/interpretantion/status/1471690618468540419

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Tzen posted:

lmao i had to close that article when i read this,

"Have high-quality masks on hand

Even if you’re not wearing a mask now, check your mask supply and make sure you have plenty of high-quality medical-style masks on hand.

Since many communities have lifted mask mandates, when and how often you use a mask is probably going to be up to you.

“The mask needs to go on when you start seeing case numbers going back up,” said Linsey Marr, professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech and one of the world’s leading experts on viral transmission.
"

loving lmao

Once again, I’m looking at some messaging aimed at a person who does not exist. It’s like when Hillary took her announcement about having covid and decided to take that opportunity to say “get vaccinated” to all the people out there who aren’t vaccinated, but would be if Hillary Clinton told them to while also announcing that her vaccines didn’t save her from getting covid.

Who the gently caress is unconcerned enough about covid that they’re not wearing a mask because covid is over, but also concerned enough to be stockpiling n95s in case covid isn’t over? Is that who reads the times, imaginary people?

Real Mean Queen has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Apr 3, 2022

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
luv 2 stuff my brain full of covid

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

empty whippet box posted:

luv 2 stuff my brain full of covid

Plenty of room after the covid eats a bunch of holes into your brain

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

i’m stoked to new game+ easy mode here in 2 weeks when i move to an above garage ADU and live paycheck to paycheck, but i won’t have roommates for the first time in 10 years.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Plenty of room after the covid eats a bunch of holes into your brain

more room for covid

shrink my brain, I don't need it

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Real Mean Queen posted:

Once again, I’m looking at some messaging aimed at a person who does not exist. It’s like when Hillary took her announcement about having covid and decided to take that opportunity to say “get vaccinated” to all the people out there who aren’t vaccinated, but would be if Hillary Clinton told them to while also announcing that her vaccines didn’t save her from getting covid.

Who the gently caress is unconcerned enough about covid that they’re not wearing a mask because covid is over, but also concerned enough to be stockpiling n95s in case covid isn’t over? Is that who reads the times, imaginary people?

Buying high-quality condoms for the raw orgy just in case I find out mid gently caress that some attendees have gonorrhea

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That's what you get for going NG+ without getting the universal sterilizing vax upgrade first

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/milticket310/status/1510409325818232834?s=21&t=4pcNh2n3FPnQPuf-cSk-bg

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

😠

rear end

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

”HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE COVID SINCE I WENT CAVE DOCTRINE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COVID THREAD. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR VIRUSES AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR COVID. HATE. HATE.”

:haibrower:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol why don't they look at what's happening in the Philippines???

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Turns out if everyone else is plague carriers, this ramps up the difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

covid? yea I'm thinkin I'll mask