Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wonder if this was a random event or an April Fool's thing, cos I know Kojima loves using your system clock, but on friday there was a Ghost in my shower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Shoehead posted:

I wonder if this was a random event or an April Fool's thing, cos I know Kojima loves using your system clock, but on friday there was a Ghost in my shower
I love the random scenes happening in the room and always check on BB when it makes a sound 🧟

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's weird how limited the audio options are in this. I'd really love to turn down the volume of the computerey bleeps and buzzing when text pops up on screen.

I'm about to finish the road to South Knot city but have yet to go there or finish the order to bring it online since I wanted to get the road done first. How far into this game am I? I forget what chapter I'm in but feel like I'm still very early on and I've just been taking forever since I'm building out all the roads first. Just can't figure out if this game is WAY BIGGER than this and I haven't gotten through an extended tutorial or if I'm legit like halfway through the game.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 3, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You're probably coming up on halfway but geez, bring the area into the network and the roads will get half built for you by contributors from the network - you are doing it the hard way!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you do it the hard way, you get all the likes to yourself B)

I also built 75% of the roads out of network, a lot of them with a stolen MULE truck only. The missions to unlock networks were hilarious since they were meant to be epic treks, had music queued up for em, meanwhile, I'm cruising through safely on my truck or bike on my shiny new highway. I did have to fragile jump once to steal all the chiral crystals from the first area.

And how far you are into the game feels optional? I don't remember what chapter I've been squatting in for 40 hours getting everyone to five stars and whatnot. Still getting new orders for same to rescue people now and then, still got pizza orders. I think Photographer, Novelist Son, Pizza Freak, and First Prepper are the only ones I have left to five star now. Then I can return to heartman for whatever I'm supposed to do there lol.

Finally hit Great Deliverer yesterday, for some reason I kept thinking I needed to raise my bridge link ranks so I kept mass delivering share locker items, but it turns out I just needed a couple more ranks of time-sensitive deliveries. Also realized bot-deliveries could earn the ranks for me while I did what I wanted instead.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

How the hell are you supposed to walk a pizza and wine from the time fall farm to the pizza dude??

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Most of mine are in network it's just these real annoying stretches that I don't want to have to walk through again that I say gently caress it and just build it myself.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Parallelwoody posted:

How the hell are you supposed to walk a pizza and wine from the time fall farm to the pizza dude??

Floating carrier, it takes about 15 minutes real time. I forget if you can do it with zip lines, I just walked it

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Parallelwoody posted:

Carefully.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm convinced I zipped it in the original, but I might very well be wrong.

Also, building roads is meditative, but you should only do it the hard way if you actually experience that meditative sensation, not if it's frustrating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Black Griffon posted:

I'm convinced I zipped it in the original, but I might very well be wrong.

Also, building roads is meditative, but you should only do it the hard way if you actually experience that meditative sensation, not if it's frustrating.

You cannot zip line the pizzas AND champagne mission. I'm still playing the original, I just recently beat it. Thankfully I had been meticulous about building roads so it was an easy mission, just took a bit.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Did the first three central missions in one and they're way harder on stamina on Very Hard. On Hard I could do the whole loop and take out the mules with no real cost, this time I had to take a long rest before carrying the mule loot back and I'm at half exhaustion.

Shinjobi posted:

You cannot zip line the pizzas AND champagne mission. I'm still playing the original, I just recently beat it. Thankfully I had been meticulous about building roads so it was an easy mission, just took a bit.

Yeah I'm starting to recall now that I've reached the central region. I'd been big on roads too, I think that's why I recall it going smoothly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The MULE parts are for sure tougher with the new turrets, luckily you can hide behind any weakass tent, which usually helps funnel enemies, but it used to be pretty easy to bolo+kick everyone casually as long as you weren't completely surrounded. It's also awkward to bolo someone on turret, gotta run up to them and smack em a bit, or use shock nades if you got them.

Parallelwoody posted:

Disable MULE camp makes it easier first. Buddy bot can carry the pizzas but stops just out of range, so you end up needing to either use carrier or arrange cargo so the pizza lie flat on top. I put on speed skeleton and ran from timefall to the highway and just ran on highway power strip all the way there, but I used a hair-tie on my controller to hold the r2 trigger down. Took ten minutes. Now I got a pizza order from monutain knot, but that one also has a highway all the way there. Might be a fast zip route than the new circuitous mountain highway, but I don't have a good network on that side.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If I cross the tar lake is there much to do over there or is this it? (Along with what I assume must be 3ish hours of cutscenes)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

it's basically just a straight run through the endgame over there, no deliveries or preppers or anything. and yeah, 3 hours of cutscenes is about right

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yep, that's me. I bet you're wondering how I got into this situation. Well,

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

Floating carrier, it takes about 15 minutes real time. I forget if you can do it with zip lines, I just walked it

The fast running legs make this trip a lot shorter than it seems like it would be as well. Especially if you've already built roads since it doesn't take long to hook up to the nearest highway and then just leg it down the power strip at full speed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just unlocked the ziplines and hell loving yeah these are incredible. I don't suppose the buddy bot can sprout arms and follow you on the zipline can it?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The fast running legs make this trip a lot shorter than it seems like it would be as well. Especially if you've already built roads since it doesn't take long to hook up to the nearest highway and then just leg it down the power strip at full speed.

Ok so just bust past the mules, hit the highway, and book it to the end point?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

Ok so just bust past the mules, hit the highway, and book it to the end point?

Wipe out the MULEs immediately before accepting the mission and you can just stroll through the camp.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Section Z posted:

Plant shoes seem to have some kind of stealth buff. Which is easy to forget even exists once you unlock blood grenades and up for combat. But it has also lead to me going through hip deep snow with a hover carrier behind me rattling and banging and just cruising by BT's through the entirely sensible power of wearing plant sandals in a snow drift.

Wish I had known this when I had to drag myself up the mountain to deliver springs to the roboticist, without BB's help! Ended up cratering.

When/where does the buddy bot unlock?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shoehead posted:

If I cross the tar lake is there much to do over there or is this it? (Along with what I assume must be 3ish hours of cutscenes)

There’s post-game once you finish up over there but yeah that’s the “point of no return” for the story.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cheap Trick posted:

When/where does the buddy bot unlock?

Chapter 5, there's a mission at the distro south of lake knot to go find a guy in the field and bring him back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A van or transport trike would've been easier by far but drat if that isn't satisfying

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I just destroyed over 7000 units of metals and ceramics by accidentally falling off an edge with a trike.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Just got done with the Chiral artist and junk dealer "quests". That was uhhhh....certainty something that happened.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm moderately annoyed that you can't carry wine in your left hand while holding onto a zipline for dear life with the right :mad:

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
The first time I attempted the pizza and wine delivery was during the point in the story where you have to make the trek back east.

I made it to just outside Lake Knot when suddenly Vietnam. To say I was upset would be an understatement.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just beat WW2 and I got my boy back. Ready to piss and poo poo and bleed all over these ghost wastelands.

The second wind is here.:colbert:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh god I'm bonking up against my network cap now that I'm building ziplines everywhere. I had a bunch of old poo poo lying around that I dismantled but that's the first time I've actually had that issue..

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

Oh god I'm bonking up against my network cap now that I'm building ziplines everywhere. I had a bunch of old poo poo lying around that I dismantled but that's the first time I've actually had that issue..
On the off chance you are talking from a point of 5 star everywhere literal max bandwidth cap. For various reasons, I focus most of my personal zipline attention on reaching Heartman and all the places past him. Because those are the places where Ziplines really go from thinking "Well, I don't NEED them, they are just nice to have." stubborn mountain bike rides, to admitting my life is cold and empty without ziplines.

Plus the later into the plot you are, the more potential bandwidth you have just from having more destinations unlocked. So it also kept me from instantly slamming into bandwidth caps trying to build a bunch as soon as I got em.

It may be tempting to delete your "This is how they are made!" tutorial safehouse by the weather station for that fat chunk of bandwidth. But it is totally worth having up there if there are no nearby online safehouses. Because even if you are not trying to trigger emails by taking a nap, safehouses repair vehicles. Though that may only be an issue for you if you are making long multi destination runs, or are playing on a higher difficulty that makes stuff wear out faster.

...Also, just in case. You are making the ziplines rank 2, right? It might not sound like much, but the extra 50(?) meters really adds up. Rank 2 is a reasonable value, unlike rank 3.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

"Well, I don't NEED them, they are just nice to have." stubborn mountain bike rides

it's not stubborn if it's fun. i'll give those Skyrim horses what-for, I will :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

it's not stubborn if it's fun. i'll give those Skyrim horses what-for, I will :colbert:
This lifestyle is also what made me fall in love with seemingly pointless online bridges for use as a parking spot. One online bike I left parked in the mountains survived the entire rest of my run without getting destroyed by weather or the langoliers.

Which stood out even more when compared to multiple cases of building my own bike, parking it under a rain shelter on a hillside, and then coming back from carrying stuff to the musician to discover it glitched into the center of the earth :argh: Even when backtracking to it with a bunch of upgrades, the tutorial area continues to find ways to be the biggest bastard in the game to me in ways "What if I turn up the difficulty in the late game?" can't compete with.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Section Z posted:

...Also, just in case. You are making the ziplines rank 2, right? It might not sound like much, but the extra 50(?) meters really adds up. Rank 2 is a reasonable value, unlike rank 3.

Thanks for the info, I am using rank 2's when it makes sense but I definitely haven't upgraded all of them. Probably a good point, I'm sure I could consolidate some lines this way.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I got the Directors Cut (PC) a few days ago and I am re-loving this game again. Beaten this game 100% on PS4 and this game feels and looks so good to play again.

I just need to get a PS5 controller so I can really experience this.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ciaphas posted:

A van or transport trike would've been easier by far but drat if that isn't satisfying

There are so many times where I'm about to hit a ramp with a vehicle but the approach angle makes me slam into it and takes away all of my speed :( It's good to see I can use the carriers with it though, because the very first time I used one the ramp didn't seem to work, and I assumed it was because of the carriers.

e: BTs are totally useless when you use the bola gun, I'd say it's even better to take one than hematic grenades for getting through an area because they don't require blood bags. You can drive right underneath them on very hard as long as all of them in the local vicinity are tied up. Even if you are being searched for just get off/out of a vehicle, hold your breath immediately and bola them, ones that are actively searching for you will stop. A couple of lvl 2 guns is 48 ammo.

Look at this video from about 3hr 14min https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1446086614

It makes me wish the whole "Sam having bleeding feet from not wearing shoes" would be a thing. Taking drastic measures like self harm to stop being followed IMO makes that whole idea of your bodily fluids being a valuable resource that much more intense - like after walking for an hour with no shoes Sam is not physically able to give blood, or flat out refuses. I don't think there's ever a point where the mules learn about that stuff either, they just dump your blood bags, grenades, and even the container repair sprays at the border of their camps when they knock you out.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 5, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm surprised they don't give you thr cord cutting option once they are bolo'd, or maybe they do and I just didn't see it in the video. Forgot bolos worked on them at all haha, I'll have to remember that. Cord-cutting still feels fastest safest to me, especially if BB is excited.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The one time I've tried the bola on BTs was while getting the junk dealer his poo poo from the bad place north of South Knot. Just tied them up and they gently floated away~

I guess it doesn't stun tougher ones? Too bad you can't bola-and-cut, then - especially now I'm in the BB-free bit after Mountain Knot :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

TheMostFrench posted:

It makes me wish the whole "Sam having bleeding feet from not wearing shoes" would be a thing

Not sure what you mean or if you mistyped but that is a thing. He leaves blood everywhere after if you run out of sandalweed or anything.