Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why would Ditko script anything if they were using the marvel method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I do wonder how much of Amazing was Ditko writing in Objectivist lunacy and Stan making it something the average person would want to, you know, read.

IIRC Stan did that occasionally, Ditko's original dialogue in the student protest comic was even Randier than what they ended up publishing

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ruddiger posted:

Why would Ditko script anything if they were using the marvel method?

Did you ever hear the story about how, when Kirby turned in the pencils for the first issue of the Galactus trilogy, Stan Lee was surprised to see a silver guy riding a surfboard in the story, since they had never discussed such a character?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Suleman posted:

IIRC Stan did that occasionally, Ditko's original dialogue in the student protest comic was even Randier than what they ended up publishing

Wasn’t that one of the reasons he left the book?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Being told "no" is the usual reason Objectivists get angry, yes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Did you ever hear the story about how, when Kirby turned in the pencils for the first issue of the Galactus trilogy, Stan Lee was surprised to see a silver guy riding a surfboard in the story, since they had never discussed such a character?

And Kurby sometimes, but not always, wrote some loose dialog around the panels to explain what was going on which Lee would sometimes use.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, it's never sat well with me that the artist never got any writing credit under the Marvel Method when they're responsible for the pacing, structure, and dialogue cues... at the bare minimum, and usually much more than that. Any other medium would call that part of the writing process.

It would be nice to have had an approach like how movies and TV have separate story (or "written by") and screenplay credits, but I guess we're taking about the 60s, after all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

After The War posted:

Yeah, it's never sat well with me that the artist never got any writing credit under the Marvel Method when they're responsible for the pacing, structure, and dialogue cues... at the bare minimum, and usually much more than that. Any other medium would call that part of the writing process.

It would be nice to have had an approach like how movies and TV have separate story (or "written by") and screenplay credits, but I guess we're taking about the 60s, after all.

They did in the late 60s and early 70s. Lots of early 70s comics credit both the penciller and the writer for the story.

Honestly in a lot of cases the crediting seems better than some modern comics.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Davros1 posted:

Yep.

I think Lee’s version of the story was that he saw it in the concept art. But it’s pretty much accepted that it was when he saw the actual pages.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jordan7hm posted:

They did in the late 60s and early 70s. Lots of early 70s comics credit both the penciller and the writer for the story.

Honestly in a lot of cases the crediting seems better than some modern comics.

I guess the fact that I mostly only have Volume 1s and 2s of various collections is showing... :smith:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

We should go back to writers being credited with providing the "words" for comics and nothing more. :getin:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JordanKai posted:

We should go back to writers being credited with providing the "words" for comics and nothing more. :getin:

Like Mark Evanier's contributions to Groo. He's credited as wordsmith in most of the collections I've read. He doesn't write the story or come up with the plot, just finds the words to fit

vvvv Could be. I would have to deal with a comixology reload to check.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 4, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Isn't Evanier credited with a different thing every issue?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I think the final straw was that Lee wanted the Green Goblin’s identity to be an existing character, while Ditko thought he should be “just some guy.” I don’t know if that’s an Objectivist thing or because Ditko didn’t understand melodrama, but whatever the reason Stan turned out to be right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

I think the final straw was that Lee wanted the Green Goblin’s identity to be an existing character, while Ditko thought he should be “just some guy.” I don’t know if that’s an Objectivist thing or because Ditko didn’t understand melodrama, but whatever the reason Stan turned out to be right.

I think you could do something interesting with "Peter's worst enemy has nothing to do with him as a person" but it's a pretty thin story compared to the tremendous amount of story Norman Osborn brings.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Plus, they already did that gag in an early issue - I want to say Electro or the Beetle - where Spider-Man's all excited to unmask the villain only for it to just be some random criminal and he realizes "Oh, yeah, there's no reason he'd be anyone I know."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Angry Salami posted:

Plus, they already did that gag in an early issue - I want to say Electro or the Beetle - where Spider-Man's all excited to unmask the villain only for it to just be some random criminal and he realizes "Oh, yeah, there's no reason he'd be anyone I know."

Lex Luthor and Flash get mind swapped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfBhIM5tb4

For extra fun Michael Rosenburg played Lex Luthor in Smallvile and Flash in JLU.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Ditko wanted to do it again with the Master Planner but Lee said, "That's boring. He's Doc Ock." And that might be the actual breaking point between Lee and Ditko.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah "the villain isjust be some dude" can be s satisfying twist in the right story or a good punchline but neither of those incidents were the place for it

like if you don't do it right then it comes off as just wasting the reader's time wondering who it could be

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I remember they pulled that twist for one episode of one of the many many many many many Scooby-Doo remakes. Velma is making a little speech explaining how she deduced the villains identity as she pulls off the mask and it's...some guy that hasn't show up before. The people who had been getting victimized by him certainly recognized him and reacted with horror and betrayal that their life long friend would try to hurt them so, but the entire time Velma is just flipping her poo poo because how the gently caress was she supposed to figure out it was this no name nobody that hadn't even been mentioned before?

It was hilarious, but using it in a serious story sounds, uh....really loving disappointing without a very specific setup.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

At this point it feels like ComicsGate is just the same five guys grifting each other over and over and over again.

So when are they getting into NFTs?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flytrap posted:

I remember they pulled that twist for one episode of one of the many many many many many Scooby-Doo remakes. Velma is making a little speech explaining how she deduced the villains identity as she pulls off the mask and it's...some guy that hasn't show up before. The people who had been getting victimized by him certainly recognized him and reacted with horror and betrayal that their life long friend would try to hurt them so, but the entire time Velma is just flipping her poo poo because how the gently caress was she supposed to figure out it was this no name nobody that hadn't even been mentioned before?

It was hilarious, but using it in a serious story sounds, uh....really loving disappointing without a very specific setup.

In a serious story, 'the mysterious mastermind is someone we've never met before' is simply an intro for an all-new member of the rogues' gallery. Whether it works or not basically depends on how compelling your new character is - done right, you get a nice kick of 'oh poo poo, this is a completely new and alien threat for the heroes to deal with, and hey, this new dude is actually pretty cool/enjoyably hateable'.

For example, if the Master Planner turns out to be Doc Ock, then he's a known quantity who Spider-Man has already fought and formulated tactics against, so revealing his identity significantly reduces his threat. If it's some brand-new criminal who's embedded himself in the New York underworld from absofuckinglutely nowhere, then that's an entirely fresh brand of scary.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 7, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

In a serious story, 'the mysterious mastermind is someone we've never met before' is simply an intro for an all-new member of the rogues' gallery. Whether it works or not basically depends on how compelling your new character is - done right, you get a nice kick of 'oh poo poo, this is a completely new and alien threat for the heroes to deal with, and hey, this new dude is actually pretty cool/enjoyably hateable'.

For example, if the Master Planner turns out to be Doc Ock, then he's a known quantity who Spider-Man has already fought and formulated tactics against, so revealing his identity significantly reduces his threat. If it's some brand-new criminal who's embedded himself in the New York underworld from absofuckinglutely nowhere, then that's an entirely fresh brand of scary.

Also depends on the set up. No one will care that the Master Planner is someone brand new if you don't set up their identity as a plot point or mystery to be solved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So when are they getting into NFTs?

It seems like war news has taken up enough of oxygen in the room that the NFT hype machine can't function properly so a lot of them are cratering in price, so probably soon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

It seems like war news has taken up enough of oxygen in the room that the NFT hype machine can't function properly so a lot of them are cratering in price, so probably soon.

IIRC, it's not "war news" so much as that there's a lot of general crypto nonsense that previously came out of Russia and Ukraine, and that's been smacked up by the invasion and the subsequent sanctions. This was always a bubble, and the disruption seems to be hastening the pop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wanderer posted:

IIRC, it's not "war news" so much as that there's a lot of general crypto nonsense that previously came out of Russia and Ukraine, and that's been smacked up by the invasion and the subsequent sanctions. This was always a bubble, and the disruption seems to be hastening the pop.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that a lot of NFTs were bought early on by Russians to launder money. Pick them up, make them flavour of the month in the crypto set, then get out with at worst a small loss - it's a fairly reliable plan, given the idiots they're dealing with.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find that a lot of NFTs were bought early on by Russians to launder money. Pick them up, make them flavour of the month in the crypto set, then get out with at worst a small loss - it's a fairly reliable plan, given the idiots they're dealing with.

NFTs in general are a godsend for money launderers, in any nation. The art market was already known for its utility in that field, but the initial lack of regulation around NFTs made it much easier. You don't even need someone else; you can just swap an NFT back and forth between your alts a few times to inflate its worth before cashing out for a nominally cleaner paycheck.

Now that it's been brought up, I'm not sure what kept the ComicsGate crowd from, as far as I know, jumping into this market. I suppose you could argue that this absolutely proves they're only in this for the culture war, or else that they don't really follow or understand the business side of the industry they're ostensibly disrupting. Either way, it does seem to have been their stopped-clock moment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Now that it's been brought up, I'm not sure what kept the ComicsGate crowd from, as far as I know, jumping into this market. I suppose you could argue that this absolutely proves they're only in this for the culture war, or else that they don't really follow or understand the business side of the industry they're ostensibly disrupting. Either way, it does seem to have been their stopped-clock moment.

I almost want to put it down to technical knowhow. None seem that bright.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
evs planned to make an ape but he couldn't finish it on time

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

evs planned to make an ape but he couldn't finish it on time

i can't tell if this is real or not

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/1514642243042357254

Hahahaha

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Not a fan of this latest Riverdale storyline

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They rebranded the Afterlife With Archie Twitter account for this, sigh

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why now? When the tide has finally turning against the loving NFTs?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Samovar posted:

Why now? When the tide has finally turning against the loving NFTs?

If there's one thing Archie has been good at doing in the 21st century it's hopping onto a trend way after the fact.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/comicsgateLs/status/1516183458401472518

Barney Gumble: "IT BEGINS!"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Mark Brooks is in the replies to this tweet saying he's pro-NFT. That's not something I wanted to find out today. :(

e: Maybe he's joking. I'm too worn out to detect sarcasm today.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 19, 2022

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Oh god…. what if EVS is a goon?

Someone check FYIAD and report back!!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

JordanKai posted:

Mark Brooks is in the replies to this tweet saying he's pro-NFT. That's not something I wanted to find out today. :(

e: Maybe he's joking. I'm too worn out to detect sarcasm today.

I’m pretty sure he said that because EVS hates him, to dissuade the NFT frog from happening

Note: I didn’t look into it beyond seeing Brooks’ original tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Image.. why?

https://twitter.com/ImageComics/status/1516874388569833473