Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, as a giant cursive stan, I'll fully admit it's not faster. It's more comfortable and faster for me but I'm sure a good chunk of that is just that I've been writing that way for 20 years.

It makes perfect sense if you're writing with a fountain pen (and I'd assume a quill but I haven't tested that), but I should hope so considering it evolved long before ballpoint pens existed.

I do it cause I thought it looked cool when I was 12 and at this point changing it up would be a pain ; my print looks like an out of practice 12 year old wrote it.

Yeah, cursive is definitely easier and cleaner to write when using a fountain pen and getting a nice clean stream of ink. Ballpoint is a lot more forgiving of lifting the pen 5 to 10 times as often without dripping ink onto the page. It's a different technique, but I'd be hard pressed to say one is superior to the other, so long as the information written down can be read by the intended party.

I mean, especially given that my handwriting is a snarled mish-mash of cursive and printed letters regardless of what type of pen or pencil I use, I don't get to tell anyone else that they write incorrectly. The slower and more deliberately I write, the cleaner it is, but even at my most careful, it doesn't look like proper calligraphy or anything. But then I could count on two hands the number of times I've handwritten something in the past decade that wasn't intended for my exclusive personal use...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
We should make kids learn cursive, and really focus them on it, tell them how important it is, and then immediately bar them from using cursive, tell them how stupid it is, just so they learn the really important lesson that adults are stupid and that the systems they are trapped in and will be trapped in until death are arbitrary and capricious. Those are two incredibly valuable lessons.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We should make kids learn cursive, and really focus them on it, tell them how important it is, and then immediately bar them from using cursive, tell them how stupid it is, just so they learn the really important lesson that adults are stupid and that the systems they are trapped in and will be trapped in until death are arbitrary and capricious. Those are two incredibly valuable lessons.

Isn’t that what’s already happening?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm left-handed AND likely to have ADHD, so my writing is just unbelievably ugly. It's a random mix of cursive-esq squiggles and block capitals, even within individual words, plus the lefthandedness means smearing the ink if I'm not careful.
(I always forget to be careful:( )

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FrozenVent posted:

or draw a whale.

I get that reference, and at one time, I had a couple people convinced that thats where "dot the 'i' came from".

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Toph Bei Fong posted:

AFAIK it's like the Dvorak keyboard, where some people will claim it's super fast and effective and then cite studies done by the Institute for Making Dvorak the Default for All Keyboards about how great they are, and most people will point out that basically no one actually needs to type that fast even if it did have some demonstrable difference in speed (dubious), and the few who do (court reporters, mainly) already have their own special shorthand keyboards, so you'd be trying to retrain everyone for the sake of vanity and Being Right

I refuse to believe anyone has ever used a Dvorak keyboard for anything except writing 10,000 word blog posts about how they use a Dvorak keyboard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sweevo posted:

I refuse to believe anyone has ever used a Dvorak keyboard for anything except writing 10,000 word blog posts about how they use a Dvorak keyboard.

I used one for a few years. Concluded pretty quickly that it didn't really make a noticeable difference, but kept using it for the novelty.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I used one for a few years. Concluded pretty quickly that it didn't really make a noticeable difference, but kept using it for the novelty.

I've got a friend who's a huge nerd and he uses Dvorak for his daily work. it's super annoying when anyone else needs to use his computer.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Sweevo posted:

Terry Goodkind used one to write his Sword of Truth novels.

That is not an endorsement, just trivia

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sweevo posted:

I use dvorak layout (well, the Danish variant, which is based on the Norwegian variant, which in turn is based on the US variant), but the keycaps on my keyboard are blank.

I wouldn't recommend other people learn it, the only reason I use it because I was taught it in typing class (which was taught on an Olivetti 80386 system, back when they had those in schools) because I was already proficient with qwerty, and the teacher didn't think I should be allowed to just do whatever/play games or get time off.

Frustratingly, my WPM has also dropped as I've gotten older - nowadays I can max out at about 100 whereas I used to be able to do 130-140 consistently and 150 at max.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It's been drilled into me from somewhere (school I guess) that you have to write checks in cursive, so from after 3rd grade or so up until the most recent time I wrote a check (many years ago), checks were the only thing I ever wrote in cursive.
I think the reasoning given for it was that it's harder for someone else to change things written in cursive compared to printed letters.
(I realize checks themselves are also a reference that would probably be lost on people growing up now)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Item Getter posted:

It's been drilled into me from somewhere (school I guess) that you have to write checks in cursive, so from after 3rd grade or so up until the most recent time I wrote a check (many years ago), checks were the only thing I ever wrote in cursive.
I think the reasoning given for it was that it's harder for someone else to change things written in cursive compared to printed letters.
(I realize checks themselves are also a reference that would probably be lost on people growing up now)

I'm always surprised when something requires a check these days. Like getting my water turned on at my new place, they only accepted checks.
I had to make my first two mortgage payments via check because it took them 2 months to setup direct deposit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I still pay a couple of utilities every month by check, in part because the Internet billing options they have charge "convenience fees" that I'm unwilling to pay, and I don't like autopay unless I get a significant discount due to past billing disputes.

For some bill processors if you read the fine print, by sending them a check you're authorizing them to perform an ACH transfer for an amount equivalent to the bill. In those cases I think it literally doesn't matter what you write on the check so long as it's not like VOID. Either way, it doesn't go through the standard check clearing process whatever that's called.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Item Getter posted:

The signature has to be in cursive, I guess? because that's what a signature is. I was taught to print the other bits.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmegin posted:

The signature has to be in cursive, I guess? because that's what a signature is. I was taught to print the other bits.

I thought the logic was you use cursive to right out the sum in letters so it's (nominally) harder to forge. Did my dad lie to me?

(I had been writing everything in cursive forever by the time I briefly interacted with checks, and then pretty much only for rent.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I thought the logic was you use cursive to right out the sum in letters so it's (nominally) harder to forge. Did my dad lie to me?

That's definitely the reason why you write the numbers out in words in addition to their numeric values. It's a holdover from when the Arabic numeral system was first introduced in Europe. I don't know whether cursive was a thing back then.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You know when you get a corporate check and it’s printed from a printer and in block letters?

Yeah turns out you can write checks however the gently caress you want and again, sign with an X.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I still pay a couple of utilities every month by check, in part because the Internet billing options they have charge "convenience fees" that I'm unwilling to pay, and I don't like autopay unless I get a significant discount due to past billing disputes.

I loving hate that poo poo. When my previous employer implemented online payments they wanted to charge such fees also, "because we're paying a processing fee! :goonsay:" I asked, "And how much is the processing fee compared to what we'd otherwise have to pay several employees to: open the mail, route it to the correct department, post the check, enter the payment, print the thing, mail it back, etc. They're doing us a favor by paying online!" The boomers in charge of making that decision didn't believe me. But I did at least say it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

You know when you get a corporate check and it’s printed from a printer and in block letters?

Yeah turns out you can write checks however the gently caress you want and again, sign with an X.

They don't even need to be on paper, they just need to have the appropriate routing and account numbers.
There's a story about an economics professor who liked to show this off by cashing a check that was written on bread. The bank manager hated him.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If bank managers hate you but pigeons love you, you're living right, IMHO.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 6, 2022

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Did he at least toast it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Imagined posted:

If bank managers hate you but pigeons love you, you're living right, IMHO.

this sounds like it should be on a shirt

PIGEONS LOVE ME
BANK MANAGERS FEAR ME
I'M A LIBRA ECONOMIST
MY BREAD IS LEGAL TENDER

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FrozenVent posted:

Checks don't actually have to be the official printed ones, they just need to have all the info on them. Technically, they don't even have to be paper. Decades ago, a TV comedian -- I want to say it was Johnny Carson but I could easily be wrong -- demonstrated this by cashing a girl. He got a volunteer in a halter top, used a marker to hand-write a check (complete with all the account numbers and such) across her stomach, then took her to a bank and cashed her. (The bank, for its part, expedited the process of returning the canceled check, so that she didn't have to wait around and get mailed back to him with his next statement.) Granted, most banks wouldn't be willing to put up with this poo poo when they aren't on the Tonight Show, but this bank doing so was a legitimate and perfectly legal transaction.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Powered Descent posted:

Checks don't actually have to be the official printed ones, they just need to have all the info on them. Technically, they don't even have to be paper. Decades ago, a TV comedian -- I want to say it was Johnny Carson but I could easily be wrong -- demonstrated this by cashing a girl. He got a volunteer in a halter top, used a marker to hand-write a check (complete with all the account numbers and such) across her stomach, then took her to a bank and cashed her. (The bank, for its part, expedited the process of returning the canceled check, so that she didn't have to wait around and get mailed back to him with his next statement.) Granted, most banks wouldn't be willing to put up with this poo poo when they aren't on the Tonight Show, but this bank doing so was a legitimate and perfectly legal transaction.

Just about every lawyer-focused tv show I've seen has had at least one episode where someone gets annoyed with their bank or a utility company or something, and sends in a cheque that's written on a pig or something else that's extremely awkward and annoying to deal with, and then gets dragged to court for non-payment. And the lawyer handling the case ends up going "wait, did So And So write all the important info onto the pig? ...well, that makes it legal tender. Not their fault if the place didn't cash the cheque!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do you have to bring the actual pig into the bank branch or would a photo be enough?
Would the pig itself be considered an included gift or do I have to return it to the client after cashing it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Yep.

I’ve proctored crew sign ons where it was read the agreement to the illiterate crew member and then have them make their mark on the form.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Xiahou Dun posted:

(I had been writing everything in cursive forever by the time I briefly interacted with checks, and then pretty much only for rent.)

I imagine it's folk logic. Like, somebody does x, they have a reason for doing x, nobody argued with them, story gets passed around and accepted as true because it sounds plausible, and is completely wrong.

There's so much loving redundancy in a check. It doesn't really matter how you write it as long as you write it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FrozenVent posted:

Legally speaking you can make an X or draw a whale.

Yeah legally it’s about wielding the pen with intent, not how the ink comes out on the page.

It’s a happy accident when the marks on the page are identifiable as Latin script.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I used to bank with a big chain bank, I opened my account with them when I was 18. When I ended my relationship with them at age 31, and was trying to withdraw all my money, we had so much back and forth because my signature was not the same as when I opened my account

Yeah, my signature was not the same at 31 as it had been at 18. No poo poo. I went through a lot of stuff between those ages. I almost wanted to ask them for a copy of the thing they had on file just to see what it looked like.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Do you have to bring the actual pig into the bank branch or would a photo be enough?
Would the pig itself be considered an included gift or do I have to return it to the client after cashing it?

I'm not sure how it would play out for real, but the TV version usually goes something like "my cantankerous uncle So And So lost his temper with the power company and wrote a cheque on a pig and then went and dropped the pig off at their offices", so Uncle So And So never interacts with the bank himself, he just unleashes a very large, aggressive farm animal on an office building in a way that also makes it legal tender and creates a funny story.

The process of cashing a Pig Cheque is also never detailed, but I imagine the banks would much prefer a photo rather than the pig.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm having my driveway re-done and I wrote a check for the deposit when the guy told me that if I used a credit card there would be a 3% processing fee.

The only other time I've written a check in the past 3 years was to pay my income tax.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I have to say, the reference to writing banking information on a pig as something that happens on numerous TV shows is definitely lost on me.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 7, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

King Hong Kong posted:

I have to say, the reference to writing banking information on a pig as something that happens on numerous TV shows is definitely lost on me.

i wrote three checks on three different pigs and labelled them installments 1, 2, and 4, before releasing them into the town hall to pay my property taxes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

King Hong Kong posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Inland_Revenue_v_Haddock

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
There was an old Straight Dope article about checks, and you don’t actually need the account numbers. The trick is getting whoever you're paying to accept your pig check, but if they do, the bank will OK it.

https://www.straightdope.com/21341724/can-you-write-a-check-on-any-old-piece-of-paper

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As an archivist, it is slightly depressing to show students a box full of handwritten letters with all sorts of cool personal details from people 70 years ago, and have them stare at the letters like they're written in Linear B. But I can't really insist students ought to learn cursive when I never use it myself except to sign my name (and my signature is the first two letters of my first and last names, followed by various letter-ish scribbles). At least it's better than how Obama's Treasury secretary signed his name:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lew was a sellout.

The signature printed on banknotes during his tenure is significantly less original.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

King Hong Kong posted:

I don't know about "numerous". At least three, I think, with one of them being 'The Practice' and the other I can think of being 'Boston Legal'. I want to say the third one was Ally McBeal, but I never watched that show and the more recent lawyer shows I can think of were all way more corporate law focused.

I'd imagine 'The Practice' was making a reference to something that had been in the news, and 'Boston Legal' was referencing that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't Boston Legal a spin-off from The Practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't Boston Legal a spin-off from The Practice?

Yes.