Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Keyser_Soze posted:

Chambo's swing finally caught up to him.

You can obviously take my opinion for what it is (i.e., a random goon who fistpumps when he breaks 95), but I'm really surprised that Bryson, being the fitness dork he apparently is, isn't (to the extent I can tell) investing more in mobility/pliability work. There's nothing he is doing that is more inherently dangerous and requires a mix of strength and flexibility and explosiveness, I'd guess, than a lot of football and basketball players and especially gymnasts (although golf is probably more asymmetrical). I can't say I follow his every move, but I see a lot from him about lifting and swinging, and not a lot about yoga or acupuncture or mobility work or other modalities he can surely afford to be made easy for him to do. And that's before you even get to some of the more restrictive diet options and other things that could help him.

I mean, of course his swing makes things worse on him than other swings, but I'm surprised he doesn't do things to make it better, is what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
My limited understanding is there's a negative relationship between lots of mobility work and extreme stretching like Yoga and raw strength. That's not to say it wouldn't cause an overall improvement for him though if he could use his strength more effectively without hurting himself

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

But what about mystic needles?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mederlock posted:

My limited understanding is there's a negative relationship between lots of mobility work and extreme stretching like Yoga and raw strength. That's not to say it wouldn't cause an overall improvement for him though if he could use his strength more effectively without hurting himself

I mean, somewhat, maybe, at the margin. Male gymnasts are extremely powerful and explosive and mobile. There's a guy in his 30s at my gym who can deadlift 500+ and still do a full boat pose / split because he puts in 1-2 hours of mobility work at the gym before he lifts. But if you watch Bryson swing, he does look like the Tinman in need of a good oiling. I look like that sometimes, too, coming out of my powerlifting season, but I'm a working stiff, not someone who has the time and resources to devote to everything he could do.

Again, presuming a lot on my end of what he does and doesn't do.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Maybe he just put on a totally unnatural amount of mass in a very short time and his body hasn't recovered.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Shrapnig posted:

Maybe he just put on a totally unnatural amount of mass in a very short time and his body hasn't recovered.

This was my assumption , but steroids

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

That looks nice. Still a stand bag, but I may have to accept that.
What do you have against stand bags?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Petey posted:

You can obviously take my opinion for what it is (i.e., a random goon who fistpumps when he breaks 95), but I'm really surprised that Bryson, being the fitness dork he apparently is, isn't (to the extent I can tell) investing more in mobility/pliability work. There's nothing he is doing that is more inherently dangerous and requires a mix of strength and flexibility and explosiveness, I'd guess, than a lot of football and basketball players and especially gymnasts (although golf is probably more asymmetrical). I can't say I follow his every move, but I see a lot from him about lifting and swinging, and not a lot about yoga or acupuncture or mobility work or other modalities he can surely afford to be made easy for him to do. And that's before you even get to some of the more restrictive diet options and other things that could help him.

I mean, of course his swing makes things worse on him than other swings, but I'm surprised he doesn't do things to make it better, is what I mean.

I'm sure Dustin Johnson and most of them do all that stuff.

Bryson just swings so drat violently - like one of those roided out goons in a long drive contest - that there was no way he wasn't going to eventually damage his back/hips whatever. IMO, he was never going to make it to 30 swinging that fast, without loving something up. Can he dial it down change his workout routine and escape more injuries? Most likely. Maybe that was his plan all along as some sort of mad experiment to just blow up golf courses for a while.

I'm a fan of those newer hybrid stand/cart bags where there is just a single (or removable strap) etc and is sturdy enough to sit upright against a wall for storage, etc. I currently have a Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way Bag since 2019 that is nearly like the hybrids.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 3, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

What do you have against stand bags?

I don't carry, so I'm just working around those legs that do nothing but get in the way when you're putting them on a cart or push cart. They're literally useless.

On the rare occasion I carry when I'm just playing 9, I still don't want stand. I lay the bag on the ground like a golfer who carried before stand bags became a thing. The legs add literally no value and are frequently actively in the way.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

I have no idea if this means I’m hitting the ball better but it looked cool.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ads in Golf Digest have taught me that what Bryson really needs is magnetic bracelets and Skoal.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Dr. Capco posted:

Anybody else gradually move from one shot shape to the next and wish you had the other one back every time you switch? Yeah, me either. :magemage:

I worked on developing a draw to get rid of a terrible slice that plagued me. Now I can't remember how to fade it.

Petey posted:

One thing that always stuck with me was when a dude I worked out with told me that the real limit on your body's tolerance or ability isn't the muscle, it's the tendons and bones. They'll give out way before your muscles and are the real limiting factor.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 4, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Masters thread and betting pool are up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3998664 :siren:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Anno posted:

Never felt older than Tirico just saying that the co-leader of the ANWA was born in March 2006
And she won!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Presto posted:

And she won!

She did, and it was a lot of fun to watch. Her chips to get up and down on 14 and 17 were sick.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My golf coach said he wants me to play nine holes before our next lesson. I've never a) walked a course before, or b) played alone. Any advice/tips?

My plan is to go at the first available tee time during the week.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Omne posted:

My golf coach said he wants me to play nine holes before our next lesson. I've never a) walked a course before, or b) played alone. Any advice/tips?

#1 tip is good walking shoes. Shoes that give you blisters will make for a miserable (or short) round.

Have fun. I love golfing alone. Can take some time and hit multiple balls if I need to practice something.

Take some beer if you are so inclined. I’ll listen to music on my headphones and zone out. I play better when I don’t overthink my shots.

In terms of bag setup, take as little as possible if you are carrying your clubs. Ounces make pounds and pounds can make pain if you are not used to walking long ways with weight on your back.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

Do you mean alone, or without a known partner? Playing with strangers is great, just relax and be as social as your comfortable with. Watching other golfers is always a learning experience.

If alone, take the time to think about what your doing, not just do what you always do.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I’d also say, once your at 4x bogey, just pick up and move on…. Some day you’ll be great, but there’s no point killing yourself over a tough hole right now

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ElGroucho posted:

I’d also say, once your at 4x bogey, just pick up and move on…. Some day you’ll be great, but there’s no point killing yourself over a tough hole right now

My friends and I have a rule that you pick up at double par. Works pretty well and keeps one hole from totally ruining your day

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

daslog posted:

My friends and I have a rule that you pick up at double par. Works pretty well and keeps one hole from totally ruining your day

I basically just focus on "did I play something recognizable as golf for more than half the holes". This is a very effective way to keep pressure low.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I picked golf up again last year and have pretty flexible work hours so I'd go out alone for 9 holes on like friday or thurs am get paired with retirees at the local municipal course. It was great watching an 80 year old dude hit 150 yards off the tee and still hit more GIRs than me but also I felt like a god when I'd hit anything over 200 yards.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It's all relativity :v:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

when I was a starter/ranger I used to tell new people that they weren't going to get any better slashing a wayward drive out of the trees/gorse three times every hole. don't keep score, just pick the fucker up and drop it at the 100y marker and play in from there

also focus on the strike and not necessarily the results. a shot that is pin high in a trap is a good shot for a beginner because you hit it the distance you were trying to.

after you get a few rounds in and you're comfortable you can worry about keeping score and paying attention to the rules and all that poo poo. until then do what you can do get better and keep up if there's people behind you. or let them play through if there's a gap behind them you can fit into.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
35 degrees when I walked off the course, sustained winds of 23 MPH, gusts up to maybe twice that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qyUow4gXqM

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

daslog posted:

torgeaux posted:

Do you mean alone, or without a known partner? Playing with strangers is great, just relax and be as social as your comfortable with. Watching other golfers is always a learning experience.

If alone, take the time to think about what your doing, not just do what you always do.

I mean alone, as I'm hoping no one wants to be on the course at that hour early on a weekday morning, particularly as I'm just learning the game for real. I don't want to slow anyone down or embarrass myself.

ElGroucho posted:

My brothers and I always follow the double-par rule as well

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Omne posted:

I mean alone, as I'm hoping no one wants to be on the course at that hour early on a weekday morning, particularly as I'm just learning the game for real. I don't want to slow anyone down or embarrass myself.

If you end up with someone just pick your ball up if you take a terrible shot and drop it where you were aiming for and continue playing from there. No one is going to mind if you suck unless you are dramatically slowly them down.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

Omne posted:

My brothers and I always follow the double-par rule as well

While I rarely play alone, if I have time (no one behind our group) , I'll hit two balls whenever I can.

I once had someone tell me a solid golf shot for non-scratch golfers is two out of the following three: straight, correct distance, on target.

If you are truly a beginner, take one out of three.

Finally, don't worry about embarrassing yourself. Anyone who gives you a hard time about being a new player is just an rear end in a top hat. I've been playing off and on for 30 years, I am still mediocre because I don't actually practice, I just like to go out and have fun with my dad. (One day when I have magical amounts of time, I'll practice and be good).

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Played in a tournament today, shot a net +6 in the pouring rain. Really could have been a good day but I just couldn't putt, I lipped so many and had so many three putts.

A net 0 won the entire tournament in the A grade lol

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

The only time I've shot a 72 in my life was on 9 holes in the pouring rain.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Internet Savant posted:

While I rarely play alone, if I have time (no one behind our group) , I'll hit two balls whenever I can.

I once had someone tell me a solid golf shot for non-scratch golfers is two out of the following three: straight, correct distance, on target.

Some of my most beautiful golf shots have been only one of these. I remember hitting a towering 3-wood 200 yards, straight as an arrow and about 45 degrees to the left of the green that was only 150 yards away. Didn't even chase the ball because I think it went across the street and into somebody's pasture.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the difference between straight and on target?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RCarr posted:

What’s the difference between straight and on target?

I'd imagine "straight" refers to flight path where as "on target" refers to where the shot ends up. If I aim 100 yards right to hook the ball around a stand of trees, and the ball ends up 3 feet from the cup, I hit that fucker on target but not straight at all.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

D34THROW posted:

I'd imagine "straight" refers to flight path where as "on target" refers to where the shot ends up. If I aim 100 yards right to hook the ball around a stand of trees, and the ball ends up 3 feet from the cup, I hit that fucker on target but not straight at all.

Exactly this. Or you hit it straight, right in the line you want, except it sails 30 yards over the green. Woops.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My best "on targets" are always screaming worm-burners that roll a hundred yards and sneak right up onto the green

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mdemone posted:

My best "on targets" are always screaming worm-burners that roll a hundred yards and sneak right up onto the green

No pictures on the scorecard.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Savant posted:

Exactly this. Or you hit it straight, right in the line you want, except it sails 30 yards over the green. Woops.

But he also said “correct distance” as another metric. Which was what confused me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RCarr posted:

But he also said “correct distance” as another metric. Which was what confused me.

i can't believe someone would dispense nonsensical golf advice

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

Weedle posted:

i can't believe someone would dispense nonsensical golf advice

I can't either. But it makes me feel better about generally bad rounds with a few good shots. That dopamine hit keeps you coming back fo more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I could work a job that made me a million dollars an hour and I’d still find so much enjoyment from winning 20 bucks off the assholes I play with every week.