Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jedi Knight Sanders was an AV I used for stuff in my teens.

Would still make a sweet av lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1507245199814184969
russian POW wearing Star Wars shirt under his uniform. What a strange time to be alive.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

fixed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

lol

edit: unfunny picture was here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 5, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That really loving sucks.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
Ugh

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah don't do that, please.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At last, Smooth Maul

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

At last, Smooth Maul

Looks like a fetish club extra from the matrix 3.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Paint him blue and he'd look at home in Fantastic Planet

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For as much poo poo as Jar Jar Binks gets I think Darth Maul is a stupider looking character. Everything in the prequels looks dumb as hell though so it sort of all blends together.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The naboo starfighter rocks

So do a lot of the background podracers

Dud Bolt is a big stinky cheater who throws races for Sebulba and gets a kickback.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Episode I is very frustrating because it gets a lot right but for everything it gets right it gets something very wrong.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love everything about episode one except for Midichlorians and Jake Loyd. I don’t even hate on Jar Jar.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cartoon Man posted:

I love everything about episode one except for Midichlorians and Jake Loyd. I don’t even hate on Jar Jar.

Yeah, Jake Loyd really is the cement shoes for Episode I. There's just too much hanging on an actor who looks like and has the acting chops of a 6 year old.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The whole gungan army look suffers from ancient cgi, but conceptually they're really cool. It's dumb Jar Jar didn't get sweet gungan armour like everyone else.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why do the Gungans even have such a huge army with siege weapons when they live underwater and are more or less on ok terms with the naboo people

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why do the Gungans even have such a huge army with siege weapons when they live underwater and are more or less on ok terms with the naboo people

"more or less on ok terms"? they are dispossessed natives. you might as well ask why the peaceful naboo have fighter pilots and the queen carries a strap. i know they talk in meme voices but the gungan chief literally says that gungans don't like the naboo and vice versa. They're implicitly old enemies who must now reconcile to fight the greater threat of robot death camps.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The naboo have fighters because theyre a space faring people who prob need to occasionally fight off pirates or whatever.

i havent seen the movie in over 10 years but i remember Boss Nass just kinda thinks theyre uppity. They dont seem like mortal enemies.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Who's to say the gungans we see are the entirety of their species. Maybe they have inter-gungan conflict. Just cause a peoples is dispossessed doesn't mean they don't have internal warfare as well

Just went to check and this is backed up in old canon in the venerable source Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Gungan campaign

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Gungan army is just another iteration of Lucas' Vietnam fixation, with the Rebels, Ewoks, and Gungans all filling the role of "plucky low-tech underdogs who defeat a large imperialist force". The problem is that Lucas also wanted to do a big CGI ground battle so gave the Gungans dinosaur tanks and things rather than just doing Endor part 2.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Lucas has this one fixation he repeatedly uses but this time he deviated a lot from that fixation due to another fixation instead of just doing the original thing again

Man you are one tought guy to please. Do you want him to endlessly repeat vietnam or not?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Disney re-do the prequel cgi you cowards

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You'd have siege weapons if you had to occasionally deal with Sando Aqua Monsters.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You'd have siege weapons if you had to occasionally deal with Sando Aqua Monsters.

there's always a bigger fish

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Reminds me of those mid-2000s charts of sci fi spaceships showing how ridiculously and stupidly huge Star Wars and Trek ships were and, if I remember right, eventually led to a video where some nerd scientifically proved how taking the elevator turbo-elevator on the Enterprise from the shuttle bay to the bridge involved some form of magic in order to be possible.

And it’s really funny to me how the sizes of star destroyers throughout the movies range from 1 to 38 miles wide or long, meaning some random trooper could spend an entire day walking the length of the ship and back.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 8, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hazo posted:

Reminds me of those mid-2000s charts of sci fi spaceships showing how ridiculously and stupidly huge Star Wars and Trek ships were and, if I remember right, eventually led to a video where some nerd scientifically proved how taking the elevator turbo-elevator on the Enterprise from the shuttle bay to the bridge involved some form of magic in order to be possible.

And it’s really funny to me how the sizes of star destroyers throughout the movies range from 1 to 38 miles wide or long, meaning some random trooper could spend an entire day walking the length of the ship and back.

"mid-2000s" more like "nerds never change"

One of my buddies was in the navy and claimed after morning PT, he could slack off a good chunk of the day just walking intently around base with two cups of coffee. Idk if bullshit or not but it's a great Star Wars b-plot. Trooper TK-69420 isn't shirking his duties, he's on a special mission for Admiral Fukko.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Here's the full image, and big enough to read.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BiggestBatman posted:

Lucas has this one fixation he repeatedly uses but this time he deviated a lot from that fixation due to another fixation instead of just doing the original thing again

Man you are one tought guy to please. Do you want him to endlessly repeat vietnam or not?
It's the Tet Offensive (but inverted) :colbert:

Here's the site it was made from. You used to be able to drag ships around.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the Tet Offensive (but inverted) :colbert:

Here's the site it was made from. You used to be able to drag ships around.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
See? Who doesn't need to know that the SDF-1 would choke an Exogorth?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/185791526943731713

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

General Kenobi: Years ago you served with my father in the Clone Wars. I am once again asking you for your financial support.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

And it's a Clone Wars thing too, that's interesting.

Hazo posted:

It often bugs me how a lot of writers lose track of all proportion and things just end up impossibly large with no real perspective on what it means to be that big. It's already a bit hard to conceive of how big real boats can be, and here's some that are just impossibly larger.

I do like the idea of installing a new transit system into a city just by salvaging a warship though.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The naboo starfighter rocks

So do a lot of the background podracers

Dud Bolt is a big stinky cheater who throws races for Sebulba and gets a kickback.

It always bugs me that Dud Bolt doesn't fly the podracer with a cockpit that looks like a bolt. Well I guess a hardware nut. The kinda thing you can turn with a wrench. And instead, that is Teemto Pagalies.

Robot Style posted:

The Gungan army is just another iteration of Lucas' Vietnam fixation, with the Rebels, Ewoks, and Gungans all filling the role of "plucky low-tech underdogs who defeat a large imperialist force". The problem is that Lucas also wanted to do a big CGI ground battle so gave the Gungans dinosaur tanks and things rather than just doing Endor part 2.

I think it's a demonstration of older forms of military combat, since they're marching out in formation to meet another army in the field (and later Attack of the Clones has more evenly matched armies marching around in formation), as opposed to the original trilogy demonstrating trench and guerilla warfare.

Maybe it could be like the movie Zulu, except the sides swapped? (not that I've really seen it) The Gungans' shields kinda seem like they'd evoke the tall zulu shields. Otherwise, the Gungans are more Thai than Vietnamese.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Hazo posted:

I was under the impression that the starships in Star Trek are reasonably sized and the the original Enterprise was supposed to be roughly the same length as the actual Enterprise Class aircraft carriers.

Star Wars on the other hand seems to have no internal logic for size.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

What gets me more than the size is the crewing:
Home One: 5,400 crews and gunners
Star Destroyer: 9,200 officers, 27,900 enlisted crew, 2,700 stormtroopers
And for comparison, the Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier: 508 officers, 3,800 enlisted

The Imperial Navy is really just a jobs program, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

where do they even find that many crew? when every planet in Star Wars seems to have the population of a small to medium sized town.