Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Powershift posted:

Good looking car.

I saw the og review for these and was thrown off the the weird 6-lug minivan bolt pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSpI_SPXVOs

Yeah.. Those 6 lugs are strange. I have been on the lookout for a set of OEM rims too. This car came with two sets of aftermarket rims. The AREs that are on there now were peeling TERRIBLY so I just plasti-dipped em last summer. The other set I have are some really hoopty "Foose Speedsters" that someone bombed flat black and I really dont like them.

I may end up doing the 5 lug swap, but I sorta want to keep it stock-ish..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah finding wheels is dumb. STS-V (probably even more rare, haha) shares it though I think, otherwise they're truck hubs. :v:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah finding wheels is dumb. STS-V (probably even more rare, haha) shares it though I think, otherwise they're truck hubs. :v:

try finding some for S1 and S2 rx-7s. 4x110 :negative:

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh. I seriously looked at a STS-V but lost it when I test drove it. It was slightly beat on when I SHOULD have noticed due do the red plasti-dipped rockers and some trim in the interior. Needed a bunch of work. The SAME DAY, I was on FB marketplace and my 2005 V popped up for cheap. Drove a ways to get it but its been amusing since. Would buy again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I am not a smart man and therefore I did something very stupid...

Crappy, just drove it home from being delivered, pictures for now. 1997 Caterham 7 with a RaceLine built Zetec-R on ITBs. It makes glorious sounds, the clutch is very heavy, the brakes are un-assisted and mildly spooky, the transmission tunnel gets very warm and it's stupid quick. Needs some clean up and attention, probably a new battery as well.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Crappy, just drove it home from being delivered, pictures for now. 1997 Caterham 7 with a RaceLine built Zetec-R on ITBs. It makes glorious sounds, the clutch is very heavy, the brakes are un-assisted and mildly spooky, the transmission tunnel gets very warm and it's stupid quick. Needs some clean up and attention, probably a new battery as well.

:swoon:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I demand to hear that intake symphony

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Probably similar to this Peugeot 106 with ITBs https://youtu.be/2fYz5UbkYQ4

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

:kiss:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Side pipes!! That thing fuckin rules, do a burnout.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I tossed around the idea of buying one of these before I did the more sensible thing and got a Miata.

Where do you go about finding them?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

You dolt, you idiot, you utterly magnificent loving moron

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Get a load of this dumbass lmao

MetaJew posted:

I tossed around the idea of buying one of these before I did the more sensible thing and got a Miata.

Probably buying them sight unseen off the internet like the pros :c00l:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nice purchase, dumb-dumb.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Very rad car, but uh, is the shifter under the dash? Do you gotta stretch to reach the odd gears, or does it just look weird in the pics?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stupid smart.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I demand to hear that intake symphony
PO said he liked riding instead of driving because you can hear the intake. I'll slap a gopro on the passenger side cage rail and take it for a spin. I can just barely hear the intakes over the exhaust which is loud and only a couple feet from your head, I'll be wearing ear plugs most of the time I think.

MetaJew posted:

KakerMix posted:

Probably buying them sight unseen off the internet like the pros :c00l:
Kaker isn't wrong... I'm in a dozen lotus, caterham, westfield, birkin and kit car groups on FB. I've also had alerts on ebay for most of a decade to tempt me occasionally. This one popped up in New Hampshire on one of the more active Caterham groups, after probably annoying the hell out of the seller with questions and picture requests I bought it without seeing it in person until it arrived.

Voltage posted:

Side pipes!! That thing fuckin rules, do a burnout.
Side pipe LOUD when you're driving but my wife followed me home and said it's quieter than the Locost and maybe quieter than the Cayman which has an aftermarket exhaust. Burnouts and drift days will be happening, it came with a 15+ year old spare set of tires. No better way to get a feel for a car than sliding it around a track.

GOD IS BED posted:

Very rad car, but uh, is the shifter under the dash? Do you gotta stretch to reach the odd gears, or does it just look weird in the pics?
It is under the dash but it's the worlds stubbiests shifter and only has a couple inches of throw so it works. The car is so small there's no reaching for anything really. Your hand is partially under the dash for R/1/3/5 gears. The parking brake, yes it has one, is also under the dash...on the firewall of the passenger side and you pull it towards yourself. Added pics to end of post.

Before this I had the Locost powered by a Yamaha R1 engine, it was fun but I could never trust it 100% and it was pretty crude even compared to this thing. I had originally been looking for an older more original and lower powered car, wanted something with a Ford Crossflow engine and had passed on a couple with the Rover k-series 1.4L but this one popped up and... Paid a bit more than I planned to spend for a toy, most I've paid for any car in my life to get the least amount of car. This car feels smaller than the Locost even though dimensionally it's nearly identical.

I'll probably start a thread at some point for this and other projects. Want to do a full fluid replacement, general clean up and see if I can adjust a few things.

edit: shifter...
Third/Fourth/First

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 8, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

Proper license plate.

Ehhhhhhhhh.... I'll allow it, but...

THIS is CadZZilla:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CadZZilla

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

try finding some for S1 and S2 rx-7s. 4x110 :negative:

I was lucky enough to find a parts GSL-SE and put all the suspension under my '79.
Currently putting the *rest* of the SE in it, now.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I will have, or at the very least, drive one of those before I die.
I'd very much like a rotary-powered one, because rotary. I guess that would actually be a Locost, but still.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I was lucky enough to find a parts GSL-SE and put all the suspension under my '79.
Currently putting the *rest* of the SE in it, now.

there is a guy around here who collects and strips 70s-80s mazdas and he has a bunch of gsl-se stuff. i've been meaning to do it but time + money

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I will have, or at the very least, drive one of those before I die.
I'd very much like a rotary-powered one, because rotary. I guess that would actually be a Locost, but still.

Good news, some crazy guy went off and built a "bunch" of rotary powered ones called a Rotus 7. I believe they tend to be slightly roomier and pop up for sale once and a while. Seems like a nearly perfect power plant for such a light car.

Some good info and discussion on this one that went across BaT in December - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-rotus-super-7/
This one has been for sale for a few months out in Oregon - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/557898818946997

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
got my buddy to come up and weld floorpans (will share pics later) and take a look at what i got in my earlier posted '82 rampage. so far it semes like i'm replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one and wire that one to ignition, swapping the distributor with an HEI system, and replacing the pcv valve. lot of poo poo i'm not too knowledgable about yet but will probably need to do to minimize fail points.

PO delorted the automatic choke on the carb and installed an aftermarket manual choke. which was a really stupid move. Put in a spring that just kept the choke at full blast. again its stupid. Good thing i know where i can get a parts carb for same engine type.

Good tihng is that with welded floorpans I'll have an interior thats more inside than it is outside. I'll cover it with enamel on the inside, do body liner underneath, do that thermal/noise dampening silver matting stuff, and then throw down carpet. Still gotta figure out how to put in holes for seats/weld nuts for seat bolts but that's an order of magnitude easier to handle once you have an interior you can trust.

cars are fun to work on.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
It’s been awhile since I posted in the actual forums. I had bought some kooks headers and an off-road xpipe from a friend, was poised to install and the SS all of the sudden had a huge misfire. Lots of troubleshooting, back and forth, ended up taking off the heads and putting new lifters, LS9 head gaskets, CHE trunnions and a bunch of little stuff, including some FIC 800cc injectors. Some drama with a fuel rail popping up on a shakedown (!) but finally got it running fairly well. Still stock cam. We have run out of fuel pump so that and an e85 are “next” but I’m not sure when that will be.

At my buddy’s place, he was a huge help.

https://youtu.be/96q4lGM2vAE

Idle

https://youtu.be/5oubOksxbYY

Tuned run by the tuner.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Best I could do with a pay ‘n spray car wash and a hotel washcloth while I’m on call away from home for the weekend. Not looking terrible for ten years of northeast driving and 115k miles.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I never in my life imagined I would buy a new car (or a Hyundai, or a non-manual, or a sedan), but since used car prices are nuts I sold my 2016 Fiesta ST for 4K more than I paid for it 4 years and 40K miles ago and bought an Elantra N DCT.

I had actually been looking at getting a Focus RS, but after driving one didn't find it that much more fun than my FiST. Faster, yes — and AWD is great — but driving it around town felt similar... it's just that I'd look down and be going 50% faster than I would've in the Fiesta. That combined with the unforgiving ride quality and not-amazing reliability made me decide to pass. I test drove an Elantra N a few weeks later and had a ton of fun, so I decided if I could find one at MSRP I'd buy it.

I think the best thing about the Elantra is the mix of fun + practicality. Leave it in normal or eco mode and I get ~35 MPG on the highway with way better ride quality than the FiST. The interior and cargo space is also huge — I can fit everything in the trunk that used to occupy the hatch + backseat of the Fiesta. The backseat in the Elantra is large as well — I'm 6'2" and can easily have a 6' person behind me.

But put it in N mode and it feels just as fun as the Fiesta, if not more. It doesn't have the same frantic go kart feeling, but it's significantly faster, sounds way better, and handles better. The LSD and tires and brakes rule. And I love manual transmissions, but the DCT is really, really fun. I also love how everything can be customized — I can choose how I want the exhaust, engine, steering, LSD, suspension, etc. to behave. I love that I can drive it like a boring car if I want, or like a fun car if I want. Or that I can have everything in aggressive mode but have the suspension on comfort, etc.

It's not perfect, though! My list of cons so far:
- I wish it was a hatchback or wagon (I don't like the 3-door vibe, which is why I didn't go Veloster)
- Annoying that it has a good lane keeping system but no automatic cruise control
- It has wireless charging so I wish it had wireless CarPlay (I did buy an adapter which seems to work fine)
- The stereo sorta sucks
- Interior quality is definitely budget, however I love that it has physical HVAC controls (this alone made the Mk. 8 GTI/R a no-go for me) and the seats are nice (though not as nice as the Fiesta's Recaros)
- It's big! Like it's wide and long. Great for interior space, but I like driving a little car
- It's sorta ugly! The N stuff helps a lot, but still. I don't love black cars, but here I think black is the least offensive color
- I wish it was on 18s, not 19s
- Edit: also the gas tank is too small

Overall I love it. It's a really impressive car for the money. All of the compromises are worth it for how fun it is to drive. I really was not expecting to like it as much as I do, but was genuinely impressed after the test drive, and even more so after almost 1000 miles of ownership. The only changes I'm going to make are minor and aesthetic — I'm adding mud flaps (these sticky tires fling up so much!), switching out all of the gross old interior lights and turn signals for LEDs, and tinting the windows.

That said, if I can get a GR Corolla Circuit Edition at MSRP... I might. That car seems almost perfect, except for the rear seat legroom, which I found out is even less than the Fiesta ST's (lol how is that possible). The hatch volume is also really small. That may or may not be a deal-breaker. I'd also consider the Civic Type R — again, only if I can get it at MSRP. Even at MSRP, both of those cars will likely be 6-10K more than the Elantra, and I doubt they'll be 6-10K more fun. I think for me it'll really depend on how I get along with driving a sedan vs. a hatchback long term.

Some pics!

grahm fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 11, 2022

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

That black with the red ring around the bottom is :kiss:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I'm so happy they fixed the heinous flat fish headlights for the N line. That looks awesome.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
nice pics and write-up

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lane keep assist but no adaptive cruise control? That’s bizarre.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I still love my Stinger GT, but there was one other Stinger GT in my neighborhood and a month ago it was gone, and in its place was a bright blue Elantra N. So I can only assume it's in the same range of fun+practicality, which is excellent.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Black looks much better on that car than that awful gold color I keep seeing. The red accent is a really nice touch.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah I don't get it! I'm guessing either chip shortage, or they're going to add it in a year or two and raise the price by like $1K. Or both!

davebo posted:

I still love my Stinger GT, but there was one other Stinger GT in my neighborhood and a month ago it was gone, and in its place was a bright blue Elantra N. So I can only assume it's in the same range of fun+practicality, which is excellent.

I almost bought a grey GT1 with like 20K miles for $28K before the covid insanity started, but I wanted to bargain him down even more lol. Wish I would've got it. They're rad cars, especially for what you used to be able to get them for.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

bird with big dick posted:

Lane keep assist is camera based and piggybacks off the same hardware for the forward collision alert. It’s a nearly no cost feature to add for the mfg.

Adaptive cruise on the other hand uses radar sensors that have to be added. That means more cost and more chips.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a great looking car and an excellent review!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

kill me now posted:

Lane keep assist is camera based and piggybacks off the same hardware for the forward collision alert. It’s a nearly no cost feature to add for the mfg.

Adaptive cruise on the other hand uses radar sensors that have to be added. That means more cost and more chips.

Not always. Subaru does adaptive cruise based solely on their eyesight camera system.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My current rental is an Elantra and it's a very nice little car. Well done.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just got these guys out of the garage for some exercise today. The S2000 has only been driven <500 miles since its last safety inspection in May ‘21.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nice! As I read this I was comparing to my experience with the Sonata N-line and it seems like they have avoided some of the criticisms of that with yours. The lack of wireless CarPlay/Android Auto is mystifying since their base model infotainment has it but the premium doesn't for some reason.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Easter family tour completed. The Busso engine sounds completely ridiculous, love it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Easter family tour completed. The Busso engine sounds completely ridiculous, love it.

gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

gently caress yeah

That thing is just rude in all the best ways.