Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

roomtone posted:

although i am completely done with spock saying things are logical. i do not want to see spock version C. kill spock.

Discovery beardo Spock, but shorn.

Too many Spocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

More Spocks! Spock Spock, son of Spock the Spocking Spock.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the thing about Q though is he isn’t actually a villain. I t he show Picard mentions that the only thing he knows about her from his timeline is that she discovered a life form she thought was sentient on Io. which is, you know, famously a moon that is not Europa.

So I think the original timeline she bows out of going to Europa, which is a success, and she joins another mission to Io. And in the bad timeline she gets Picard speeched into not thinking about her mental health and goes on with the mission resulting in a mental breakdown at a crucial time dooming the mission and her life and possibly Jean Luc’s life - it’s the old grandfather paradox.

So they save the mission in their ship but everything is still hosed because butterflies - that’s the second act of the series. Third act they gotta save the day again by doing something stupid like getting Soong to revive Picards dead gay romulan son using mad science because the only way to restore the time line is to murder it better while imagine dragons is playing

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo
Surely they wouldn't dare to disappoint me with another new series!

Why won't they give up? The tactic of setting five campfires for every one man doesn't work during the day. We know that nobody is watching. Anyone smarter than a tick knows that Picard is taking place in 2024 because they can barely afford to mock up the Applebee's they have to shoot in. We aren't going to be confused into thinking that the demand is so high for Star Trek that we'd better catch up now before everyone at work spoils it for us.

Just do the Halo/Star Trek crossover already so we can at least get some absurd jokes out of this mess, and then end this madness.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The lol snarky comment! Stuff is really putting me off.

Like not every single tv show has to have smirking Jim in the background.

The girl going “I’m standing on…a comet” is really bothering me. We loving know what you guys are doing. Just meet some weird aliens and solve an ethical dilemma goddamn.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t like that every important event to the Federation and the general state of things in Picard’s life are the result of his and his friend’s ancestors. Yeah, I’m aware that Soongs were directly responsible for the Eugenics Wars before going into artificial life (which was a cool twist in Enterprise). Apparently even one of the people on the board of geneticists was one of Worf’s human parents ancestors. That poo poo is so hack. Are we going to see Riker’s ancestor sleep with Rene Picard? Geordi LaForge’s ancestor stare at a solar eclipse, which interests Crusher’s ancestor to create a breakthrough in visor eye replacement technology?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t like that every important event to the Federation and the general state of things in Picard’s life are the result of his and his friend’s ancestors. Yeah, I’m aware that Soongs were directly responsible for the Eugenics Wars before going into artificial life (which was a cool twist in Enterprise). Apparently even one of the people on the board of geneticists was one of Worf’s human parents ancestors. That poo poo is so hack. Are we going to see Riker’s ancestor sleep with Rene Picard? Geordi LaForge’s ancestor stare at a solar eclipse, which interests Crusher’s ancestor to create a breakthrough in visor eye replacement technology?

yes star trek is star wars now where the only people who exist or matter are the dudes or the genetic descendants of the dudes that were in the good ones

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

The_Rob posted:

The girl going “I’m standing on…a comet” is really bothering me. We loving know what you guys are doing. Just meet some weird aliens and solve an ethical dilemma goddamn.

i think the annoying thing about this is it feels like something a writer came up with who has no interest in space or star trek and started thinking outside the box like...y'know, actually if you think about it, being in space would be pretty wild. as if that isn't the basis for the entire franchise and they just came up with it.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Why’d they keep the warp-speed effect from the Abrams movies? It’s just a lovely ripoff of the hyperspace effect from Star Wars! Because JJ really wanted to be directing Star Wars instead!

The Human Crouton posted:

end this madness.

I doubt they will. They just managed to re-merge Paramount and CBS into Viacom after failing as two separate companies, and Trek is their strongest bid to compete with the Marvel money-printing machine. I really hope somebody writes a book about the Viacom breakup and re-merger, it will doubtless be more entertaining than any Trek in the past 20 years.

And I guess I’m officially a jaded elder millennial now, because nuTrek is already over for me. If anyone brings it up, I continually mention how I used to be a huge fan, but that was a long time ago. And then I try to change the subject before I descend into a detailed rant. It’s kind of crazy to think… I first became interested when there was still merchandise flaunting the 25th anniversary of TOS on the shelves, and now it’s almost been 25 years since there was any Trek content I really enjoyed.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

why does Agnes have a shotgun instead of a phaser

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Thats a picard shotgun, it was in the house

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Why is the shotgun loaded?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yet another TOS reference.

It's Chekov's gun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yet another TOS reference.

It's Chekov's gun.

:negative:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
How close are we to the Dr Who "I know! After this I'll go back in time and make sure I place a gun right......here!"

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Detective No. 27 posted:

it'd be cool if we saw crusher's ancestor and that cum-lamp

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They're going to end the season by:

-Hacking into Bitcoin, amplifying it's value 1000000x, and then dispersing it into the hands of various progressive causes.
-Use hologram technology to create deepfakes of everyone in ICE being even more horrible and giving it to CBS News.
-Seven of Nine will remain in the past as Annika Seven, to make sure the future unfolds as it should. Picard Season 2 will be a backdoor pilot to a new series where Seven and young Guinan are essentially Torchwood/MIB.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Borg Queen: the humans of this time period are far more advanced than I expected. NFTs are a technology greater than any we Borg possess.

I must assimilate these…bored apes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Also, there's going to be a scene where all the characters bond over classical music after a chance encounter with Dr. Dre.

Picard attempts to act like he knows anything about rap music and confuses him as 1/2 of Daft Punk.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think Picard is pretty cool

for me to

to take a

for me to poop on

but yeah fingers crossed for bev's cum lamp

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Soong steals embryos left over from the war and improves them instead of creating them. Unless they added something else about a previous Soong in the new shows.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Have they given Spiner an excuse to show up and sing Sinatra yet?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
They're going to find Steam selling a Steam Deck with a 3DS like optical illusion feature, called the Holo Deck.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

JediTalentAgent posted:

They're going to find Steam selling a Steam Deck with a 3DS like optical illusion feature, called the Holo Deck.

and then they'll sell a helmet it fits into for immersive experiences

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

JediTalentAgent posted:

valve has actually come out and pretty much said they're working on a self-contained inside-out tracking VR headset with the steam deck platform, which has been discovered as given the inevitable codename Deckard

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't believe how bad this show is. I also can't believe how mean it is, all the dialog has everyone written as rude and snippy non-stop. Everyone's always arguing, they're always just being nasty and snappy to everyone around them. Everyone in this show is just a huge jerk for seemingly no reason. Picard himself though seems legitimately like a confused old man who wandered out of his dementia ward.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It turns out having people respect each other and cooperate to succeed in the face of the unknown was boring.

If 2/3rds of the cast aren't bursting into tears or having screaming fits every episode, has anything even happened?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

everyone has some past trauma and they're broken inside and the world around them is poo poo and they're in LA. huh, i think the writers are projecting.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

But cigars are real and matches come in little containers!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

But cigars are real and matches come in little containers!
2 things: I find it utterly hilarious that the showrunners will not let Rios light that cigar onscreen, so he flashes it around constantly and sticks it in his mouth unlit. It looks ridiculous, like he’s Bob Dole and needs to hold a pen all the time.

Secondly, Jurati’s singing distraction was so loving stupid and I can’t wait to see RLM’s reaction in the review (only thing keeping me watching at all).

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

2 things: I find it utterly hilarious that the showrunners will not let Rios light that cigar onscreen, so he flashes it around constantly and sticks it in his mouth unlit. It looks ridiculous, like he’s Bob Dole and needs to hold a pen all the time.

Secondly, Jurati’s singing distraction was so loving stupid and I can’t wait to see RLM’s reaction in the review (only thing keeping me watching at all).

Mike will be apoplectic about how the band knew to play that song and Rich will say she has a nice singing voice and ask Mike what he’s expecting anymore

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*sighs heavily and clicks play anyway*

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm catching up on last week's episode and lmao Picard gets hit by a Tesla.

istewart posted:

Have they given Spiner an excuse to show up and sing Sinatra yet?

No, they had the new Borg Queen sing Pat Benatar.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Modern TV is so rotten. Star Trek has been around for over fifty years now. There's generations of Star Trek fans out there, who have for the most part, watched and rewatched the show through reruns and syndication. The show managed to garner a new audience through the last decade of being on Netflix. I'm watching Picard and thinking "would I be watching this show if I didn't have any connection to the characters in TNG?" No. Would I ever consider rewatching the seasons in the future? Absolutely not. The show's cinematic qualities and high budget production values really don't add up to very much.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1446151707029917697

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 14, 2022

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think there's a lot of issues today with stuff that used to fall into a more narrow niche of geek culture, where the fandom was smaller and I think just generally a bit happier to have anything of that sort.

I've said for a long time we're in the middle of an extremely decompressed storytelling era where the episodic is largely gone unless it's totally in service to a larger storyline. It's been a trend a long time developing, though. Back in the early 2000s when Ultimate Spider-Man came out, despite the huge amount of praise that books gets in the here and now, a lot of the early comments were, "It's taking this comic 6 issues to do what Amazing Fantasy did in ONE issue 40 years ago!"

I think it's now even worse in modern comics, but I think it's even there a bit with movies and TV.

I think this is partially why series end on such low audience receptions over time. All Good Things was 'okay', it's not the best 2-hour story TNG ever did, even TNG S7 is probably not the best era of the series. But at the end of the day, you're disappointed with All Good Thing? That's fine. You've still could probably pick out a lot of stand-alone episodes that season and your overall closure on the book that was TNG would still be rather positive.

Then you move onto BSG just about 15 years later or GoT about 25 years later and the negative opinions on how those shows ended really undid a lot of fan goodwill the shows earned up to those finales, possibly in large part due to the long-running story arcs that helped keep people invested. The payoff didn't please, so the entire experience is tainted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So Dutch from the Shield just said he was "Law Enforcement", not the police or FBI. Is he going to be some sort of time cop arresting them for meddling in the time stream?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Ok I do appreciate the actor who played Dr. Baltar now playing a character entirety in someone's head

Edit: Jesus Christ The Q are like genies or demons now?

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 15, 2022

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I wondered for a moment how Alexander Siddig suddenly turned into a great actor.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Ok I do appreciate the actor who played Dr. Baltar now playing a character entirety in someone's head

Edit: Jesus Christ The Q are like genies or demons now?

I feel like they’re gonna pull a Vulcans/Romulans and Q are offshoots of El Aurians who wanted to be incorporeal dicks while the rest wanted to tend bar and listen to people whine about their problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I feel like this episode had some magical bullshit in it, even by handwavy Star Trek tech standards.