Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fukkin same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

me three

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i'm thinking agbout making a pot of coffer

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

i also got a hario v60 and this is the process someone rec'd to me - it's been real good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4ynXzkSQo

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

going to make yuenyang again today. maybe after i cool down from morning exercise

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my low-end Breville espresso make is on sale for $219 at BB&B :toot: nice inexpensive way to get into espresso imo

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

have y'all heard about cometeer? its very seriously brewed flash-frozen high-concentrate coffee that you just add hot water to

my friend bought some and said the light roasts were great, and i love a well-done light roasted coffee. i'm kinda thinking about trying it

If I was gonna drink instant coffee, I'd buy it in a big jar instead of individually-packaged hipster pods

nobody needs to be making that much single-use plastic

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
spray dried instant coffee is used to make a greek frappe which is great

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm going to need three cups this morning. woke up two hours before my alarm

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dioxazine posted:

i'm going to need three cups this morning. woke up two hours before my alarm

that's two extra hours to be drinking coffee! :coffeepal:

just kidding that sucks. power through today and hit the sack early tonight.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Having some more coffee.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

i know everyone was really looking forward to this but the trip was canceled due to someone likely having the covi. will keep you all updated on when it's rescheduled

ok i want to thank everyone for being patient but im here at the other site and im ready to judge the coffee set up: it's ok

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
it's ok folks

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
what are some good entry level burr grinders for me to recommend to someone just getting into proper fresh ground coffee?

this is what I got years ago and it's still trucking along: https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-...rt+burr+grinder

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Podima posted:

what are some good entry level burr grinders for me to recommend to someone just getting into proper fresh ground coffee?

this is what I got years ago and it's still trucking along: https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-...rt+burr+grinder

if you aren't doing espresso chances are any of the common inexpensive (but still burr) grinders like that cuisinart would work fine. the brevilles work surprisingly well.

the go-to entry level grinder for coffee snobs tends to be the baratza encore

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have the older generation of this one: https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-GX550850-Precision-Espresso-PourOver-dp-B07Q622YLB/dp/B07Q622YLB/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

and it is very need-suiting. Works fine for cold brews, french press, pour over, moka pots. I don't have a pure espresso machine but I rarely needed to go on the half of the settings for finer grains and I can't imagine it'd do a bad job for espressos.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ugh my coffee situation at newjob is dire. there's a cafe but they serve starbucks that's burned out to a gruesome extent, and there are some keurigs in the common kitchen on every floor. it's a leed building and there's some loving thing in the lease where we agreed to ban microwaves, coffee pots, and water kettles outside of the common kitchens and the bossmasters will confiscate them if they see them. i have resorted to microwaving water to boiling in a pyrex cup, putting it in a vacuum flask, and using a clever dripper at my desk for 2-3 cups. a pain in the rear end but it's good coffee all morning.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’d use a thermos or some other insulated container filled with coffee made at home

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i byobottle too, but I will drink sludge because the act of drinking coffee is almost as powerful as the coffee itself regardless of quality

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MononcQc posted:

I’d use a thermos or some other insulated container filled with coffee made at home

i thought about that but all my coffee gear is single-cup. plus i hate waking up and that would be one more thing to do before i head to work.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Midjack posted:

i thought about that but all my coffee gear is single-cup. plus i hate waking up and that would be one more thing to do before i head to work.

lots of cheap drip coffee makers have a built-in scheduling timer. i used to program one to brew before i went to class in college. waking up to the sound / smell of coffee being made automatically is pretty sweet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord funk posted:

lots of cheap drip coffee makers have a built-in scheduling timer. i used to program one to brew before i went to class in college. waking up to the sound / smell of coffee being made automatically is pretty sweet

on the other hand taking the time to make a cuppa at the desk means more time getting paid to make coffee

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

drinking that sweet sludge

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

i thought about that but all my coffee gear is single-cup.

Mr Coffees are pretty cheap, make a lot of coffee, and tbh they work pretty well

all you have to do is abandon your coffee hipster ways

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poopernickel posted:

Mr Coffees are pretty cheap, make a lot of coffee, and tbh they work pretty well

yeah i was gonna say check the thread title

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just had a delicious coffeeeeeee

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, same

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Podima posted:

Hell, same

right on, posting pal, right on

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

you can also just buy one, set it up in the office, and people will probably even start making pots assuming its there naturally

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my mr coffee was $22 and the third highest rated drip coffee maker by consumer reports

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my 4 cup drip lies in wait like king arthur. nice metal carafe and enough to fill a travel mug with spare for pre-work sipping

it’s not fancy, but it got me through college and many years of my career. nothing wrong with a simple drip coffee maker

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you can also just buy one, set it up in the office, and people will probably even start making pots assuming its there naturally

Midjack posted:

there's some loving thing in the lease where we agreed to ban microwaves, coffee pots, and water kettles outside of the common kitchens and the bossmasters will confiscate them if they see them.

if it was as easy as that i would have a better solution already. :smith:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

graph posted:

my mr coffee was $22 and the third highest rated drip coffee maker by consumer reports

consumer reports sucks

but nothing wrong with cheap drip

Midjack posted:

if it was as easy as that i would have a better solution already. :smith:

just make a pourover in the break room, then?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

my 4 cup drip lies in wait like king arthur. nice metal carafe and enough to fill a travel mug with spare for pre-work sipping

it’s not fancy, but it got me through college and many years of my career. nothing wrong with a simple drip coffee maker
100% same. really wish I hadn't got rid of mine.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

is there any material difference in how an expensive drip brewer works over a cheap one? you drip the water over the grounds. that's all. that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
consistent and configurable heat level, more even dripping of water across the grounds, better carafes, and other things like that.

afaict its mostly improvements that give you slightly better and more consistent results that you can tweak easily to dial in to something you get the same every time.

better, but almost certainly not worth the cost