Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
I thought the shift was banned this year? I definitely saw it in last night's Astros game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rangers/status/1512576657986629636

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

kolby posted:

I thought the shift was banned this year? I definitely saw it in last night's Astros game

Next season IIRC

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I mean, it's a better start than 100% of the fanbase expected, even with the result.

The result still stings, though. So I suppose it's progress.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The best part of Opening Day was Joey Bart hitting a dinger in the first game since Buster retired. And not just any old dinger, it had that sound.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I've been pretty happy with work for a few years now but having baseball back in a fairly "normal" or at least "new normal" capacity feels really fuckin good

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Poque posted:

I've been pretty happy with work for a few years now but having baseball back in a fairly "normal" or at least "new normal" capacity feels really fuckin good

For sure it’s super relaxing (usually) to have Mariners on the radio. The same radio that goes into storage during the off season as what other use does it have in 2022?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Oh man, I'm gonna listen to Pat and Ron today.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Julio Cruz posted:

is any other team having as much “trouble gripping the baseball” as the Nats? 4 HBP so far including Lindor in the head

I saw it mentioned on reddit that there has been ~25 HBP through 2 days which is most certainly way more than normal

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Is this a short spring training thing or did MLB make the ball slippery for some reason?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I saw it mentioned on reddit that there has been ~25 HBP through 2 days which is most certainly way more than normal

Ty France has only played one game so we’ll get that to triple digits by the end of the roadtrip

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

maybe due to the shortened spring? pitchers trying to go full ham but not being ready to do it?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Last season there were about .43 hbp per game, we are at ~.60 so far this year, but that is a sample of 4800 vs 38. I'd expect higher rates at the beginning of the season anyway since pitchers are less sharp.

Traxis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 9, 2022

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
It seems to be shortened spring . The only major change to the ball I've seen so far is the humidors at every park. My reading suggest balls should be drier and thus easier to grip over all. That said i cant find any kind of information on procedures like what humidity they target, how long balls are stored prior to game or how long they are taken out before use and better yet if these sort of aspects are regulated by mlb at all. If anyone's got pointers to good info im curious.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

increased ban of Sticky + rosin bags supplied by MLB = weird grip

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

First woman to manage a minor league team. She called a double steal that paid off so that owns.

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/1512612520615419906?cxt=HHwWhIC54djE8P0pAAAA

She's awesome and I kinda wish she was the manager of the big club instead of Boone lol.

They showed this game on YES and they had a little picture in picture camera on her in the corner of the screen for the whole game which I found pretty weird TBH lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The world series should always be played at the old rangers ballpark in the middle of a Texas summer. Show you're the best team by winning in hell.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/CaseyPrattABC7/status/1512529321533091848?t=Ytzx6t6yR_-FHUhQ89Cb5w&s=19

Hunter Pence must have taken Brandon Belt aside and told him it's time for him to be a fuckin weirdo

(And I love it)

https://twitter.com/Awood45/status/1512829887655997442

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone needs to explain to me why the Orioles are bringing back Matt Harvey, after the whole drug trial thing a few months ago, and also the fact that he can't pitch anymore

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a minor league deal so no risk. Afaict

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone needs to explain to me why the Orioles are bringing back Matt Harvey, after the whole drug trial thing a few months ago, and also the fact that he can't pitch anymore

Because the Orioles suck and ain't going anywhere this year anyway, so why not see if you can smoke and mirrors Harvey into looking good enough to flip for a prospect at the deadline. Even if you can't it's zero risk and he's just helping you get another good draft pick next year.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 9, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it is because he is the Dark Knight of New York

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For the benefit of those not in the GDT, here is Byron Buxton hitting a bomb on a 101 high fastball

https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/status/1512897670955872267

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The Mariners: They're Just Like This I Guess

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

For the benefit of those not in the GDT, here is Byron Buxton hitting a bomb on a 101 high fastball

The only thing better than watching this live was watching Duffey give the lead right back in the next half.

Also I'm sad by how good Donaldson looks in pinstripes. Just beautiful.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Congrats to the cubs and brewers for the first beanball bench clearing of 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Congrats to the cubs and brewers for the first beanball bench clearing of 2022

Well actually the 2nd.

Mets/Nationals opening day.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

The only thing better than watching this live was watching Duffey give the lead right back in the next half.

Also I'm sad by how good Donaldson looks in pinstripes. Just beautiful.

It was cool having hope for about three minutes though, at least

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

shirts and skins posted:

Run differential: +2
Fun differential: +Julio

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Buxton is cool as hell, it's a shame we only get to see him 60 games a season

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/Brett_A_Taylor/status/1512902817543073797?s=20&t=rPklCE8-Znk9_AN-xg1Vcg

I really hope Happ's knee isn't completely shattered

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

It was cool having hope for about three minutes though, at least

Look, Twins didn't need Rogers....

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Well actually the 2nd.

Mets/Nationals opening day.

Game 2

Mets were hit 3 times on Opening Day and then Lindor got beaned in the loving face last night

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rangers bad

Still

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Happ can't catch a break :smith:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The Rockies hired Todd Helton as a special assistant to GM Bill Schmidt.

Good to have him back in a role with the org.

:cool:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Paracaidas posted:

Look, Twins didn't need Rogers....

Correct

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

shirts and skins posted:

The Mariners: What's an Insurance Run?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The Royals offense is not good. But they have 3 shortstops on their infield and that literally won them the game today.

First, Mondesi knocks a ball down that easily would have scored the Manfred Man if it made it through the infield, then Bobby Witt makes a diving stop and throws (kind of horribly to be honest lol) home to keep the game scoreless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mr. Fix It posted:

The Mariners: What's an Insurance Run?

The Mariners: More Like FUN Differential

Also our 2b won the game by dodging a tag to stay as the go ahead run

https://twitter.com/Ben13Porter/status/1512902521743884294

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 10, 2022