Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

halo is a better show than moonknight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
drat, I guess I better start watching Halo because Moon Knight is great

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One thing I didn't like here was Steven going "What, that's totally ridiculous, it could never happen!" when Marc told him about them being Khonshu's Avatar...like, my brother in Christ you live in the MCU, did not a purple alien murder half the population? As far-fetched origins go, this is one of the tamer ones.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Steven is suspiciously disconnected from the reality of the world he’s living in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chitoryu12 posted:

Steven is suspiciously disconnected from the reality of the world he’s living in.

It's almost like he's a constructed personality with no actual basis in life!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rarity posted:

It's almost like he's a constructed personality with no actual basis in life!

Yeah when his favorite poet (?) was Marc's wife's favorite that was what really convinced me that Steven is some kind of trauma induced coping personality.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

chitoryu12 posted:

Buys thousands of pounds worth of books, can't buy a newspaper smh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pik_d posted:

Yeah when his favorite poet (?) was Marc's wife's favorite that was what really convinced me that Steven is some kind of trauma induced coping personality.

It's really interesting poo poo for Marvel

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

chitoryu12 posted:

In the comics Steven is the closest to Bruce Wayne out of all the personalities, wouldn't be surprised if this is part of his journey to becoming the quirky rich fop.

F. Murray Abraham is the perfect voice for Khonshu, imperious and overstuffed, without the slightest bit of self awareness.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

One thing I didn't like here was Steven going "What, that's totally ridiculous, it could never happen!" when Marc told him about them being Khonshu's Avatar...like, my brother in Christ you live in the MCU, did not a purple alien murder half the population? As far-fetched origins go, this is one of the tamer ones.

Here in our actual real world we have lotteries like Powerball and Megamillion worth tens and occasionallu hundreds of millions of dollars. Somebody eventually wins them, but the likelihood is that person isn't going to be you with your two dollar ticket.

In the MCU there are super-powered people but how likely is it that Steven Grant, fumbly, clumsy, lonely British dude with a sleep disorder is actually going to be one of them? Obviously the real answer is that it's extremely likely, but imagine going to, say, Donna the gift shop tyrant and trying to convince her that she's, I don't know, the super-duper secret offspring of Ancient Eternal Aliens and that she can fly and shoot lasers out of her rear end. How likely is it that she'd believe you without some kind of external proof?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everyone posted:

Here in our actual real world we have lotteries like Powerball and Megamillion worth tens and occasionallu hundreds of millions of dollars. Somebody eventually wins them, but the likelihood is that person isn't going to be you with your two dollar ticket.

In the MCU there are super-powered people but how likely is it that Steven Grant, fumbly, clumsy, lonely British dude with a sleep disorder is actually going to be one of them? Obviously the real answer is that it's extremely likely, but imagine going to, say, Donna the gift shop tyrant and trying to convince her that she's, I don't know, the super-duper secret offspring of Ancient Eternal Aliens and that she can fly and shoot lasers out of her rear end. How likely is it that she'd believe you without some kind of external proof?

That depends on whether or not she has NPD.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bust Rodd posted:

Also is there really a spot in London where fire performers can just hang out like that? It’s pretty rare for such a major city to have such a chill fire department. In Philly it took years of sucking up to the fire chief before he would let us do our circus act in the park.

Oh I know this one, the “beach” on South Bank by Bernie Spain Gardens! I took these last year :)

https://i.imgur.com/rRCizSB.mp4

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 9, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

That depends on whether or not she has NPD.

Figure she probably has at least some given how she acts, but probably not enough to but that she's a super-person.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
The initial shots of Khonshu in the first episode and first half of episode 2 were legitimately pretty off-putting and directed in a really good horror way.

The back half of episode 2 is totally different, but amazing in a different way. Every single line read from F. Murray Abraham that is just a single sentence or a command with a few words is hilarious.

Khonshu just kind of standing behind Ethan Hawke yelling, "Kill him! Crush his windpipe!" or "Maaaaaaaaarc... THERE IS NO DEAL IN THIS!" or "I AM REAL JUSTICE!" or "Put it back, idiot." delivered by Abraham while the giant floating Egyptian skull of the moon god just stands there looking at him is 1,000x more hilarious than it would appear just written in a script.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now imagine the car chase with him physically in the back. It’s a Three Stooges routine.

“Did he just throw the gun?”

“TRUCK! TRUCK!”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The initial shots of Khonshu in the first episode and first half of episode 2 were legitimately pretty off-putting and directed in a really good horror way.

The back half of episode 2 is totally different, but amazing in a different way. Every single line read from F. Murray Abraham that is just a single sentence or a command with a few words is hilarious.

Khonshu just kind of standing behind Ethan Hawke yelling, "Kill him! Crush his windpipe!" or "Maaaaaaaaarc... THERE IS NO DEAL IN THIS!" or "I AM REAL JUSTICE!" or "Put it back, idiot." delivered by Abraham while the giant floating Egyptian skull of the moon god just stands there looking at him is 1,000x more hilarious than it would appear just written in a script.

Khonshu being the petty, whiny rear end in a top hat god of Justice is flat-out glorious and I cannot wait to see more of it. You have wonder whether Harrow's take out "evil" people before they do evil arose from wanting to just get Khonshu off his loving back. Like, "There, I killed the five year old who stole the Hershey bar. Now he'll never do anything worse. Happy now, Big K?"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mutata posted:

Edit: Jesus, there are too many Steves and Stevens in this infinite Marvel universe.

Yeah, it's a real Steven universe

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, it's a real Steven universe

here we are in the future...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I <3 Konshu as this impotent forgotten God

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Khonshu is sometimes funny in the comics as well, there's a great bit in some comic where Moon Knight and Punisher are in the same room and Moon Knight hears Khonshu say "why can't you be more like him? He gives so many tributes to his patron god!" and the idea of this ancient god being like a pouting partner "why don't you treat me right like he would, you never take me out anymore" cracked me up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HootTheOwl posted:

I <3 Konshu as this impotent forgotten God

I highly recommend Terry Pratchett’s Small Gods for very similar themes.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Not to take anything away from Abraham's performance, but it's a little weird hearing an Egyptian deity speaking in an American accent.

I'll just chalk it up to a side-effect of Khonshu having to communicate via his American avatar.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Umbra Dubium posted:

Not to take anything away from Abraham's performance, but it's a little weird hearing an Egyptian deity speaking in an American accent.

I'll just chalk it up to a side-effect of Khonshu having to communicate via his American avatar.

Is there any evidence for what an ancient Egyptian accent might sound like?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

Egyptian? :v:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irf_cGvCywk

honestly oscar isaac would've nailed it

Firebert fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 9, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

So accents don't change in the course of thousands of years?

Firebert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irf_cGvCywk

honestly oscar isaac would've nailed it

Yeah, Oscar Isaac could pull that off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mutata posted:

Edit: Jesus, there are too many Steves and Stevens in this infinite Marvel universe.

Steven Harmon, I hardly know him!

....................These are the Steves I know, I know! These are the Steves I know!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KPC_Mammon posted:

Like Gerard Butler?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

KPC_Mammon posted:

There was no English language at the time, so there isn't such a thing as an ancient Egyptian accent in English. We do know what ancient Egyptian language sounded like, though. Because ancient Greeks and Egyptians wrote down phonetic translations of each others words.

So, you could make a pretty educated guess at what one would have sounded like. But, it doesn't actually exist and the Egyptian Empire spanned a pretty large area, so there would have been different accents within ancient Egyptian itself.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 9, 2022

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

KPC_Mammon posted:

There are a lot of academics interested in this question, and they can basically only extrapolate. Most of it comes from comparative studies of other languages, looking at things like the Rosetta Stone or other bilingual writings from Egypt’s pre-Roman or pre-Muslim past.

Apparently hieroglyphs can be reasonably translated to specific consonant sounds, but the vowels were only implied in Egyptian writing, so that’s where it becomes about extrapolation. Coptic is a modern spoken descendant of Egyptian (by way of Greek), so that’s used a lot to try and fill in the blanks of old Egyptian words.

But the point is none of that will really reproduce an ancient Egyptian “accent,” because a lot of that just doesn’t live in writing. It’s a culture that survived thousands of years and lots of population shifts, so there were probably tons of accents, and whatever guesses we make would be impossible to verify. (Which isn’t unique to Egyptian. We don’t *know* what spoken Latin sounded like 2000 years ago, we can just make more educated inferences.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A God wouldn't necessarily be speaking with their follower's accents anyway. They'd speak with their own peers/class/social group accent.

See also: Thor.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The_Doctor posted:

I highly recommend Terry Pratchett’s Small Gods for very similar themes.

Small Gods was one of my favourite books when I was younger, thank you for helping me realise why I loved Khonshu being petty in the comics

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yeah, Oscar Isaac could pull that off.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

So that's how we'll get mutants in the MCU. One of Steven's/Marc's personalities is Apocalypse, who was the one who asked out the co-worker. Apocalypse is also Ancient Egyptian IIRC.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Everyone posted:

So that's how we'll get mutants in the MCU. One of Steven's/Marc's personalities is Apocalypse, who was the one who asked out the co-worker. Apocalypse is also Ancient Egyptian IIRC.

In sha'Amun-Ra

AJA fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 10, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw eternals last night. Movie sucked

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ok

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PNO5aZV69M

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw eternals last night. Movie sucked

I thought it was OK. Strangely, instead of taking something that should have been a movie and stretching it out into a miniseries, this time Marvel decided they could introduce a dozen characters and a giant chunk of Marvel Universe lore (Eternals, Celestials etc) and mash it into a single movie.

But I thought the characters were OK, being able to skip back and forth in history Highlander style was fun, and the reveal that Celestials are basically Lavos-style parasites and all the Elementals keep getting their memories wiped for each new planet was cool, if rushed. Kumail Nanjiani sure got done dirty though; he made all those posts about working out and dieting for a year then never takes his shirt off and completely dips out for the 3rd act? :wtf:

Unrelated, are any of the earlier Marvel TV shows worth watching? Specifically Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. It can be tough to find stuff to watch with my parents that we can all tolerate and MCU has been consistently OK for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Agent Carter definitely is, it’s a really nice expansion of Peggy’s character.