Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

That style is called Ten Keyless, i.e. TKL.

If you think these are an affront to productivity, check out 60%.

Or worse, the 40% ones. I mean who the gently caress uses this poo poo?

How do you go up or down a line???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
turn keyboard sideways, it's so small they added a gyroscope since all the weight saved makes the whole thing into a tech deck, you cant see the little wheels on the bottom

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you go up or down a line???

It's like the calculator on your phone. It starts out as a basic function calculator, but you can press a button and it expands out to have other functions. You press that code button at the top and the keyboard expands out to have more keys.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

That style is called Ten Keyless, i.e. TKL.

If you think these are an affront to productivity, check out 60%.

Well this is loving cursed

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yo

I got it for a very specific, size-constrained project that also required a retro look. It's... an acquired taste.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why at that form factor even have extra long keys anymore

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Combat Pretzel posted:

20 year olds who haven't had the RSI and Carpal Tunnel set in yet.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

why at that form factor even have extra long keys anymore

is that better?
i'm being saracastic, i hate it

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i know I'm a week behind, i watched the last 2 episodes to catch up and holy poo poo so much to cover, but if nothing else i'll be having nightmares from the waffle party

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why do goons have so many weird keyboards

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Captain Monkey posted:

And why aren't any of them Dvorak?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Goons never leave their basement so why not customize it to the extreme

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Rude! If you must know, I'll be putting it into a housing that contains a mini-PC and serves as a base for this televisioradiophone device to make a never-was 80s Zoom terminal:

I needed a keyboard which still looked the (80s) part and was under ~10" wide, thus the choice of using a 40% one.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Trabant posted:

Rude! If you must know, I'll be putting it into a housing that contains a mini-PC and serves as a base for this televisioradiophone device to make a never-was 80s Zoom terminal:

I needed a keyboard which still looked the (80s) part and was under ~10" wide, thus the choice of using a 40% one.

:mrgw:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I could absolutely see Helly R returning to work either as Helena going through with her promised punishment or Helena herself being punished. If Innies are revered as perfected humanity in cult logic then Helly's betrayal may taint Helena.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I could absolutely see Helly R returning to work either as Helena going through with her promised punishment or Helena herself being punished. If Innies are revered as perfected humanity in cult logic then Helly's betrayal may taint Helena.

What makes you think they are revered?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm wondering if Helena is going to use her status to pull some strings and have them activate whatever the opposite of OTC is. We still don't know much about her, but I can think of a couple reasons that might happen.

Maybe she wants to "personalize" Helly's punishment in some way by sabotaging her relationships in the office.

Maybe she's not privy to everything Lumon does and is a little shook that someone can turn on/off her consciousness. She can't just walk in herself to investigate so maybe she needs her outtie to inhabit her innie to learn more.

I also get the sense that Eagens don't really feel like they can opt out of this life. I wonder if Helena ever struggled with feeling like she can't follow her own path because she's an Eagen. I don't suspect this is going to be some catalyst for Helena betraying Lumon in a significant way, but it could make for an interesting conflict. I could see Helena being jealous of Helly. In such a short existence she's done so much despite being confined to the office. What could Helena have done with her life if she wasn't confined to the Eagen name?

Obviously a lot of wild guesses in there. For all we know she's an all-in Eagen and will continue to tell Helly she isn't a human.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Postman posted:

I also get the sense that Eagens don't really feel like they can opt out of this life. I wonder if Helena ever struggled with feeling like she can't follow her own path because she's an Eagen. I don't suspect this is going to be some catalyst for Helena betraying Lumon in a significant way, but it could make for an interesting conflict. I could see Helena being jealous of Helly. In such a short existence she's done so much despite being confined to the office. What could Helena have done with her life if she wasn't confined to the Eagen name?

This is what I am thinking as well. Rewatching outie-Helly's scenes from episode 2, I am still struck by how insecure and concerned she seems about the whole thing. Milchick even has to talk her into going back inside. She certainly doesn't come off as a calculating sociopath. I think it's possible she is being pushed into this whole thing by her family and isn't 100% on board. Her video message could very well be what her dad told her to say rather than her own beliefs.

Anyway, I just like the actress and hope that outie-Helly will at least turn out to a more complicated person than the video message implies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did you see the last episode ?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am probably building 60% layout - it's the way to go! :) gently caress a numpad.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I have a large desk and not much to put on it, can I get some kind of 200% giant keyboard?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Romes128 posted:

is that better?
i'm being saracastic, i hate it

haha this bothers me less than the previous but i want nothing to do with any of these malformed kbs. dont get me wrong, keyboards are terrible, literally a typing device designed to be bad at typing to slow down typists. there's gotta be a better way, but these smaller kbs aint it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what the gently caress is going on with this page :stare:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the evil keyboard images will continue, until our demands are met: Season 2, this friday

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

precision posted:

what the gently caress is going on with this page :stare:

this is what happens in popular show threads between seasons

it's just happened really quickly here it seems

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is the best keyboard

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

The Postman posted:

I'm wondering if Helena is going to use her status to pull some strings and have them activate whatever the opposite of OTC is. We still don't know much about her, but I can think of a couple reasons that might happen.

Maybe she wants to "personalize" Helly's punishment in some way by sabotaging her relationships in the office.

I'm curious how they could punish Helly without hurting the outie. Maybe psychological/mental torture?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Narmi posted:

I'm curious how they could punish Helly without hurting the outie. Maybe psychological/mental torture?

She spends every day in a lightless 4x4x4 box.

Outie Helly's video message to Innie Helly was very ideological. We know why now, but there's definitely a lot of "theory of mind" and other metaphysical issues behind Helly's severance, and she certainly views innies in a way that probably most severed people don't. The only other person whose reason we know for sure is Mark's, and his are actually benevolent: he wants 8 hours free of the misery of knowing his wife is dead. Irv's we don't know for sure, but I'd guess it's because irl he's just a lonely old man and wants 8 hours when he's not.

There's some weirdo Kier-related religious nonsense going on with the Eagans and that's actually the mystery thread that interests me the most, I think.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 11, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

She spends every day in a lightless 4x4x4 box.

Outie Helly's video message to Innie Helly was very ideological. We know why now, but there's definitely a lot of "theory of mind" and other metaphysical issues behind Helly's severance, and she certainly views innies in a way that probably most severed people don't. The only other person whose reason we know for sure is Mark's, and his are actually benevolent: he wants 8 hours free of the misery of knowing his wife is dead. Irv's we don't know for sure, but I'd guess it's because irl he's just a lonely old man and wants 8 hours when he's not.

There's some weirdo Kier-related religious nonsense going on with the Eagans and that's actually the mystery thread that interests me the most, I think.

I took all the focus on the medals and his dad's sailor picture to mean that either he's escaping that, some PTSD from his own time in the Navy, or that those factors got him involved with taking down Lumon. Curious if he actually got severed as a way to get in, or if he was contacted after getting severed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, whatever parts of "Kierism" that we see have a real J.H. Kellogg vibe to them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Honestly surprised they didn't have any Kier Cereal products mocked up as props or for promo

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I have a large desk and not much to put on it, can I get some kind of 200% giant keyboard?

Sorry, no.

But we can do 400%

https://i.imgur.com/DCBdGHr.mp4

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I know it was said in a moment of desperation but I could very much believe Cobel knew what she was talking about when she said 'we will keep them alive and in pain'. Like, Lumen's got the tools ready, whether they've ever been used or not.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm sure it's probably been mentioned ITT, but watching the finale last night I recognized the water tower out front of the Lumon building. Funny enough, I only recognized it because I'd recently watched a Scott Manley video where he travels to NJ to visit some historical radio astronomy sites. The Lumon building is of course the Bell Labs building, and the water tower out front is designed aesthetically to resemble a transistor, as the site was where the device was invented. Probably doesn't have any symbolic significance, but neat stuff either way. And I have to say, I love the brutalist architecture.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel like they're moving way past the logistics of the situation, which is fine, but like... i think most people would last maybe 3 days before going nuts because of the fact that there's no "rest" period, it's just an unbroken experience, nonstop

like i would think in "reality" you would want to have the innie and outtie sleep roughly an equal amount so that they both benefit from that "reset" feeling

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
in fact literally that's how it should work, you go to sleep in the waiting room and then 3.5 hours later you wake up as the Innie, then at the end of that day you go to sleep for another 3.5 hours

holy poo poo this is how reality works :stare:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

roomtone posted:

i will be irritated if we need to sit through this before moving on. character development resets are never anything but time-filler.

"The Good Place" fans would strongly disagree.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Assuming the outie actually gets a decent sleep, they apparently get a feeling of being refreshed when they wake up. Also, it's not like they are constantly working. They do get to gently caress around a fair bit. Look at scary numbers, chit chat for a bit, look at scary numbers, explore the office, look at scary numbers, hang around and chill for a bit. It's not the best experience ever, but it's not the worst thing either. They definitely have a lot more leeway to goof off than a lot of regular jobs would.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Not only that, but their experiences relative to a normal person are so narrow. Basically they don’t know, on an emotional level, what they’re missing. Ignorance is bliss.

Look what a simple hug from his son did to Dylan’s innie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Assuming the outie actually gets a decent sleep, they apparently get a feeling of being refreshed when they wake up. Also, it's not like they are constantly working. They do get to gently caress around a fair bit. Look at scary numbers, chit chat for a bit, look at scary numbers, explore the office, look at scary numbers, hang around and chill for a bit. It's not the best experience ever, but it's not the worst thing either. They definitely have a lot more leeway to goof off than a lot of regular jobs would.

We only see the chit chat and office exploring parts because watching the innies look at scary numbers for three quarters of each episode isn't terribly compelling. I'd argue they are working the vast majority of the time, even if they aren't chained to their desks.