Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but also if you're trying to go between non-hubs the "main" flight might not have to be that long to have the time spent pile up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

going to assume the destination is australia

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i managed to use the pandemic as leverage to secure permanent WFH but my company is going full "open biden" next week and reading the schedule of events is making me feel ill

there's a whole week of events planned around "meeting in crowded rooms and sharing a meal". who planned this, covid?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Stringent posted:

where the hell are you flying from?

tokyo to nc is only like 16 hours

required negative covid test the calendar day before flying, but because my flight is at midnight + 5 minutes means I have to test at 5:30pm and hang out at the airport forever

my connection from LAX is overnight so another 11 hour layover there as well

I’d book another flight but there are literally only 3 to choose from each month :D

flying from HK

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cloks posted:

who planned this, covid?

my exact thoughts when we had an exec meet-and-greet with people coming in from other offices. we worked effectively across several locations pre-covid and now we're hauling variants in like some sort of dare because one of the execs got lonely not having people to look at from their non-open-office

edit: not that this has to do with the recent dropping of policies nationally, this was a capricious change a while ago

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 11, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i have idly thought about sending the CEO some flowers from "covid" with a little "thanks for opening up" note but i want to keep being paid for my work

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i keep wanting to call out publicly that the rto initiative is stupid and the hr rules deliberately made to be as complicated

but i know its pointless, there is no changing stupid c level policy unless there are massive resignations

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is very much one of those where i am happy i don't have a real say, because my life has improved a lot being back at the office, but i can't very easily motivate the morality of it.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

still feel like poo poo, Saturday was the worst day of sickness, and it seems to be getting better, but i still feel pretty awful.

at least i only have two meetings today, one of which is Very Important (it isn't) and mandatory (it is), the other is one i'm leading and will probably reschedule to later this week because i can't talk much louder than a whisper

sucks butt tho and i'd rather stay in bed

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Gnossiennes posted:

still feel like poo poo, Saturday was the worst day of sickness, and it seems to be getting better, but i still feel pretty awful.

at least i only have two meetings today, one of which is Very Important (it isn't) and mandatory (it is), the other is one i'm leading and will probably reschedule to later this week because i can't talk much louder than a whisper

sucks butt tho and i'd rather stay in bed

why are you working at all?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Blinkz0rz posted:

why are you working at all?

i ended up not working today other than sending a few emails to let people know i'm out, but i was working because the two meetings were for two projects that just started (thankfully one got cancelled and the other i was able to reschedule). but mostly it's because i'm kinda on my managers shitlist as is for being pissy about rto and in general sucking at my job 🤗

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my team is lucky off I update my ooo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there are some days i don't get any work done at all. i call those days "weekdays"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
flight update: got all three seats in the row to myself so got to lay down the whole time :rock:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
horizontality supremacy

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
also walking around LAX it’s no loving wonder covid has killed a million Americans lol

theoretically masks are required at the airport

it’s a real shock to go from a place with 100% mask compliance to whatever the gently caress is going on here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm honestly worried about visiting the US this summer.

legit doing the mental calculus about which is going to be a bigger threat to me and my family, covid or some crazy rear end redneck raging at us for wearing masks.

then also with my wife and kids being japanese, all the anti-asian poo poo that's being pushed right now, it's incredibly worrisome from here.

hopefully it isn't actually that bad on the ground, but we're definitely going to be ready to bail at a moment's notice.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

also walking around LAX it’s no loving wonder covid has killed a million Americans lol

theoretically masks are required at the airport

it’s a real shock to go from a place with 100% mask compliance to whatever the gently caress is going on here

enforcement is lax?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cases here are now sub 200/day in a province of five million. seven-day death average is zero

lookin forward to responsibly seeing a few concerts this summer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just in time for ba2

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im also going to watch concerts on youtube this summer, op

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

fart simpson posted:

enforcement is lax?

this joke is bad and you should feel bad :p

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kazinsal posted:

cases here are now sub 200/day in a province of five million. seven-day death average is zero

lookin forward to responsibly seeing a few concerts this summer

yeah our average death has fallen to zero as well. hoping it sticks this time but i’m not gonna hold my breath either

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fart simpson posted:

im also going to watch concerts on youtube this summer, op

the WHO - ba2 o’really

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Stringent posted:

i'm honestly worried about visiting the US this summer.

legit doing the mental calculus about which is going to be a bigger threat to me and my family, covid or some crazy rear end redneck raging at us for wearing masks.

then also with my wife and kids being japanese, all the anti-asian poo poo that's being pushed right now, it's incredibly worrisome from here.

hopefully it isn't actually that bad on the ground, but we're definitely going to be ready to bail at a moment's notice.

not sure what part of the country you're heading back to but, what is worse:
- social awkwardness with some idiot you can disregard/ignore
- a fatal disease

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

my posts

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Share Bear posted:

- a fatal disease

- hate crimes against your wife and/or children

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

fart simpson posted:

- hate crimes against your wife and/or children

that'd happen with or without the masks

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have literally never been hassled for masking and I live in the rural Midwest

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've had a coworker make comments but he stopped after I jokingly said it was to hide my weird chin.

All the arguments about masks that goons are prepared for is very :allears:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i did my first non-gym errand without a mask the other day, laundry

mainly because all my cloth masks were in the laundry, the laundromat had a paper mask i could use so i did

i don't really think i'll ever not wear a mask in the winter months moving forward, but will keep em on regardless of how attitudes change in my neighborhood

going to the gym is rough in this sense (no mask can last on a sweaty face through a workout) but it's the only thing that keeps me sane

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've had a coworker make comments but he stopped after I jokingly said it was to hide my weird chin.

All the arguments about masks that goons are prepared for is very :allears:

I haven't really been hassled in any meaningful way but my wife got yelled at

cowards are cowards, as usual

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Share Bear posted:

must be nice to be masc/white/straight enough that you think thats the worst thing that can happen

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

must be nice to be masc/white/straight enough that you think thats the worst thing that can happen

fair enough, but in context on my reply to stringent i am p sure stringent is masc/white/straight based on his posting history and with fam that's not, and i am in that same situation so i went with my pov that overlaps

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 12, 2022

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i edited the previous post a ton because it kept sounding mean and pithy and i didn't want it to, apologies for my mistaken assumptions

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There are a lot of weirdos out there right now who are addicted to being angry and are looking for opportunities to lash out

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
mask/white/straight

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Stringent posted:

Stay out of WalMarts and this shouldn't be a problem

quote:

this will be a problem though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Share Bear posted:

- a fatal disease

just curious but is there a general consensus on what rates of mortality are required for something to be considered fatal

or to put it another way, how low does the mortality rate need to be before someone here would consider it “safe enough” to stop caring about the risk of getting covid? notwithstanding those who are more vulnerable than others