Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Alec Bohm do the thumbs down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Philly seems like not the city to have a really thin skin about stuff like this.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mcmagic posted:

Remember when the Yankees could've actually traded Gleyber Torres for something? lol. Now they should just loving cut him.

The Yankees are a 3 run team. They were a 3 run team last year and they are avg'ing 3 runs a game this year. Just a bad offensive team that didn't get any better over the offseason.

LeMahieu looks like it was yet another terrible extension by the Yankees. Very small sample size but he's been way worse than Gallo so far, yet Gallo gets all the loving hate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

LeMahieu looks like it was yet another terrible extension by the Yankees. Very small sample size but he's been way worse than Gallo so far, yet Gallo gets all the loving hate.

More than 1 guy can suck and when you have a 250 million dollar team this bad, multiple guys suck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mikedeportes/status/1513692972315029510?s=21&t=kmYGeyt5lcBU4Dttm2NOZQ

Apparently the A’s are trying to get Andrew Vaughn and the Sox are not interested

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/mikedeportes/status/1513692972315029510?s=21&t=kmYGeyt5lcBU4Dttm2NOZQ

Apparently the A’s are trying to get Andrew Vaughn and the Sox are not interested

Ehhhh Vaughn really didn’t look that good as a rookie. It’s not a bad idea to sell on him while he had good value with his potential that he may never realize.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
*sobs in Twinsfan*

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Kirios posted:

Ehhhh Vaughn really didn’t look that good as a rookie. It’s not a bad idea to sell on him while he had good value with his potential that he may never realize.

He’s 24 and still did pretty well last year while adjusting to playing the outfield after not having a minor league season in 2020. He is going to be a very good player for a long time.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

Philly seems like not the city to have a really thin skin about stuff like this.

From what I can tell he admitted at the presser and I think hating Philadelphia as a Philadelphian is the most acceptable thing to do

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be fair to Bohm he’s also publicly on the trading block and it’s clear the org doesn’t really believe in him . It’s big time stressful And he’s in a tough spot

When I lived in Philadelphia I also often said I hate it here

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mcmagic posted:

Remember when the Yankees could've actually traded Gleyber Torres for something? lol. Now they should just loving cut him.

The Yankees are a 3 run team. They were a 3 run team last year and they are avg'ing 3 runs a game this year. Just a bad offensive team that didn't get any better over the offseason.

I remember some Cubs fans really prospect hugging when they sent him off to NY. No one is ever a guaranteed star I guess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Instead of hitting weak ground balls gleybar should hit strong fly balls . It’s just that easy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I remember some Cubs fans really prospect hugging when they sent him off to NY. No one is ever a guaranteed star I guess.

Prospect hugging is dumb.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Just want to chime in with an observation:

LOL Mets

Joely Rodriguez is loving trash and I have no idea why we gave up an actually somewhat-valuable pitcher for him

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Couldn't tell you if this is actually the right time to debut cause it sorta sounds like the Braves kinda forgot who was eligible or not and if it happens it's out of necessity, but my default policy is, I'm bored, you wanna show me a new guy? Sounds great, show me a new guy.
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1513739336851853312

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Agreed, looking forward to seeing Cubs legend Jose Quintana today.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

true, the best way to build a championship team is to trade prospects for players just before they hit free agency and then sign them to massive extensions that cover the less productive halves of their careers

source: yankees

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

E4C85D38 posted:

Good catch, probably shouldn't push a project release at 4 in the morning for this reason. I ended up not deduplicating game IDs and it got processed... weirdly.

I'm pulling JSON from https://statsapi.mlb.com/api/v1.1/game/$gamepk/feed/live (since it's what baseballr uses) and parsing the play by play, but... I forgot baseball reference has HBP listed as a team pitching stat. I could have just scraped bref this entire time

If you (or anyone else) has questions about statsapi.mlb.com, LMK, I'm an engineer on the team that maintains it. We've been adding (and continue to add) documentation to https://statsapi.mlb.com/docs as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bewbies posted:

true, the best way to build a championship team is to trade prospects for players just before they hit free agency and then sign them to massive extensions that cover the less productive halves of their careers

source: yankees

The Yankees don't even do that lol. What was the last good prospect the Yankees actually traded? They have prospect hugged for years despite producing like 2 good position players in the last like 20 years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya the Yankees have the problem of NOT trading their overhyped prospects and its actually really funny.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Cubs Fans everywhere = :smithfrog:
https://twitter.com/obvious_bb/status/1513632154281992207?t=nVT9pTtyC6h4Y5wzT7LRXw&s=19

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think the league has started to catch up to the Yankees' bullshit on their prospects.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

I mean he also had a throwing error this weekend and still hacks at trash out of the zone for days.

Lol, jk he owns.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I wasn't a huge fan of Javy on the Mets. The best thing he did was the thumbs down.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Javy on the Mets. The best thing he did was the thumbs down.

Javy Baez hit .299/.371/.515 with 50 hits 9 doubles, and 9 dingers in 47 games as a Met.

E: he also walked 13 times, as opposed to 15 walks in 91 games with the cubs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Mets deserve nothing good ever

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Ya you gotta open mouth kiss your prospects

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's interesting that Philadelphia and its fans still get treated like this quaint "Just get tougher skin" city in 2022 when the mental health of athletes is being taken more seriously everywhere else. It's not like Bohm even chose to go there. He was drafted.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Northeast is just a more hostile environment than most areas of the country in basically all avenues of life

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Javy Baez hit .299/.371/.515 with 50 hits 9 doubles, and 9 dingers in 47 games as a Met.

E: he also walked 13 times, as opposed to 15 walks in 91 games with the cubs.

Yeah but he struck out on three pitches outside the zone once when I wanted him to hit the ball. So who can say?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think the north east is generally more hostile than anywhere else

There is a specific sports fan culture though to pay attention to the game and sometimes be critical of the the home players . This includes sarcastic cheers when they finally do something right

Philadelphia fans tho general are incredibly supportive of players especially “home grown “ ones like bohm.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lookit this swing

https://twitter.com/fuzzyfromyt/status/1513714193542770688?s=20&t=ACy2Gfj2xlpQcEdQc0MycA

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya the Yankees have the problem of NOT trading their overhyped prospects and its actually really funny.

Minenfeld! posted:

I think the league has started to catch up to the Yankees' bullshit on their prospects.

This is dumb because it isn’t the Yankees who make all those top prospects lists. It also isn’t like teams rely on those public rankings instead of referrals from their own employed scouts before deciding who to trade for. Yankees prospects don’t work out because that’s just what most prospects do for every team (isnt it something like only 5% of minor leaguers make it to MLB?)

Edit: also, the Yankees are top 5 in baseball in terms of their drafted players currently playing in the MLB (I don't know where to find the numbers last year, but they were 4th in baseball in 2020 and 2nd in 2019 and 2018). They just have basically had no superstars in that time other than Judge, probably due to regularly not having high draft picks due to losing them when signing players who got a QO or finishing with a good record.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 12, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

Philadelphia fans tho general are incredibly supportive of players especially “home grown “ ones like bohm.

I think Bohm might disagree.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sign her

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

Sign her

That's gotta be at least a basket shot at Wrigley, right? 210 down the lines, 230 at straightaway center for NCAA softball, but that ball hit the top of a tree. I bet it's at least 368.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

more falafel please posted:

That's gotta be at least a basket shot at Wrigley, right? 210 down the lines, 230 at straightaway center for NCAA softball, but that ball hit the top of a tree. I bet it's at least 368.

hell I didn't even see it come back into the camera frame, the drat thing hit escape velocity

edit: ah now I see it, holy poo poo

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DavidWysong_/status/1513910805099597835

Reds ownership, hours before the home opener, floating moving the team because people are mad at them for cheap shitheads. Do it you loving loser.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidWysong_/status/1513910805099597835

Reds ownership, hours before the home opener, floating moving the team because people are mad at them for cheap shitheads. Do it you loving loser.

It's telling that the owner frames the problem is how to make the team MORE profitable. As if that's the only reason for the team to stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

This is dumb because it isn’t the Yankees who make all those top prospects lists. It also isn’t like teams rely on those public rankings instead of referrals from their own employed scouts before deciding who to trade for. Yankees prospects don’t work out because that’s just what most prospects do for every team (isnt it something like only 5% of minor leaguers make it to MLB?)

Edit: also, the Yankees are top 5 in baseball in terms of their drafted players currently playing in the MLB (I don't know where to find the numbers last year, but they were 4th in baseball in 2020 and 2nd in 2019 and 2018). They just have basically had no superstars in that time other than Judge, probably due to regularly not having high draft picks due to losing them when signing players who got a QO or finishing with a good record.

This doesn't explain why they haven't had any international stars either. Or why every single young player on the roster other than Judge and a few RPs has progressively gotten worse over the last 7 years.