Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

There's even a video of a landing in the Twin Otter at Saba on Google Maps:

I assume that's them pulling it into reverse thrust immediately before touchdown.

EDIT: that...side? slip spooks me

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You can do it in the TBM in FS. You need to be bang on the speed and quick on the beta but it is possible. without overrunning the runway.

I would not advise it IRL.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Picked up the vFlyteAir Piper Arrow III G5 E1000 for XP11 and I'm really enjoying it. Was on the fence till I saw that they would update it for XP12 when it comes out.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
What's the state of the nation on MSFS? Is it worth getting if I already own FSX? Reviews for a product that's constantly updating are less than useful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It is better than FSX in every conceivable way except the install process, which is boiling garbage.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

What's the state of the nation on MSFS? Is it worth getting if I already own FSX? Reviews for a product that's constantly updating are less than useful.

FSX to MSFS is like going from PS2 to PS5. FSX can be classified as a retro game these days.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah they aren't even remotely comparable. FS2020 is better in every way except system requirements and arguably mod support if you have an old plane that you specifically like that hasn't been updated.

Oh and I guess FSX has helicopters and FS2020 doesn't really, but they are coming.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
fsx and msfs are both nightmares to install but fsx is a nightmare because it was designed when windows vista was new and amazing technology, while msfs is just your modern always online/big-rear end download that's poorly optimized problems

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

A Real Happy Camper posted:

fsx and msfs are both nightmares to install but fsx is a nightmare because it was designed when windows vista was new and amazing technology, while msfs is just your modern always online/big-rear end download that's poorly optimized problems

I submit to you that MSFS is in fact extraordinary in its incompetence.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's uninstall is just as bad as the install. Uninstall from Steam, it just removes the 300mb or so from the Steam folder, but leaves the 150gb of data in the hidden MSFS directory.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Default ATC and AI traffic functionality were also better in FSX. FSX ATC could properly vector me throughout an IFR flight and keep AI planes reasonably spaced on arrival, which FS2020 cannot.

FS2020 AI planes seem to float, teleport, or "land" 30 feet above the runway, drop out of the sky, or do any number of weird things. The AI aircraft UI is insanely obtrusive for the very little information it shares (altitude and maybe destination? Or is it origin? Either way only one of those) and seems to appear for planes ridiculously far away. It begs to be turned off, rendering useless the very cool feature of real world live aircraft. FSX's cycling red text wouldn't win a UI award but it was unobtrusive and showed me what I wanted to know.

FS2020 is still far and away the better option, but it does feel like some big things are missing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, ATC is pretty terrible and that's high on my hope list that they tackle.

I'd take that over any other improvements or enhancements in a heartbeat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
AI ATC is poo poo, I haven't seen a single game do it even passably, in my opinion. It would be better to just have a "push button to get vectors to final" button for a given approach that you select.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

For me the main function of ATC is to just give me a bit of something to do while on autopilot. And yeah the MSFS ATC is worse than what I remember from P3D.

With real world traffic it's a lot worse because there's often a mismatch between a real world plane and what the ATC expects so there's a constant "You are 6000 feet above your altitude" being said to AI planes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

learn to follow ifr procedures and use climb via sid departures and you’re halfway there. If there aren’t altitude restrictions on the climb you’re probably just cleared to certain altitudes because of limitations of airspace for different atc.

Arrivals similar, Descend via star, pick a transition, vector to faf and ils in until you’re clear visual.

I really don’t get the need for simulated atc when there’s plenty to do in flight if you take automation out of the mix and want to learn really how to plan a flight and hand fly it.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The cruise is when you get your shitposts in.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm having an issue with loading plan files into MSFS. Specifically, it seems to largely ignore the elevations I set for the waypoints, changing them to be at or near the cruising altitude. Even saving the plan, making a change to a waypoint elevation, and reloading it doesn't get around this. Is this just something I'm stuck with, or is there a way to get the game to respect waypoint elevations?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How many more high res areas are there in msfs now compared to launch?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They've added several dozen photogrammetry cities, but they're still nowhere close to the number of detailed, 3D-modeled cities on google maps. Google still has 4x as many, at least.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm having an issue with loading plan files into MSFS. Specifically, it seems to largely ignore the elevations I set for the waypoints, changing them to be at or near the cruising altitude. Even saving the plan, making a change to a waypoint elevation, and reloading it doesn't get around this. Is this just something I'm stuck with, or is there a way to get the game to respect waypoint elevations?

Have you tried using LittleNavMap?

If you're using the in-sim flight planner, it may be a case of MSFS trying to keep a certain distance from terrain or something if they're saved as IFR flight plans.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Animal posted:

Ah, St Barts. Back when I got my first multi-engine job flying C402's and Aztec's, the boss was a boomer prick like most Part 135 owners. One day he came back to TJSJ late and without his Aztec. With a heroic tale about how the airplane malfunctioned while on final for TFFJ RWY10 and he saved the day but had to leave the airplane there for minor repairs. This was around 2009 so the beginning of smartphone cameras, YouTube, and viral videos. A few days later a video popped up of him completely loving up his approach, refusing to go-around, and finally touching down way down the runway and crashing at the end. We showed him the video during one of his weekly meetings where he would lecture us about safety. He became livid and told us to delete it and not share it with anyone. We had to explain to him how YouTube worked.

Anyways here's the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2o0acIlm4

Gets a mention in today's Paul Bertorelli video on a different crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbIsL1ziq9Q

He gives us sim pilots who have successfully landed there a shoutout at the end

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Really impressive airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33VhpSUX6OM

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

You can't actually walk through any of these, right? Not that it's not impressive, but...it feels like detail for nothing?

I bought DIA since I was homesick, but I'm not...really sure what it gets me other than tanking my framerate even more than normal on the ground.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 21, 2022

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Technically you can "walk" through it if you enable dev mode.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh, I didn't even realize that existed - that sounds fun, even if it's not a real-deal feature.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What about the "drone" camera?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Squiggle posted:

You can't actually walk through any of these, right? Not that it's not impressive, but...it feels like detail for nothing?

I bought DIA since I was homesick, but I'm not...really sure what it gets me other than tanking my framerate even more than normal on the ground.

It's nice to land somewhere and have it look reasonably like the place it's supposed to be rather than a jumble of random AI buildings. That said I've not been motivated to spend real money on an airport yet. Flightsim.to has a lot of decent enough free ones and I rarely visit the same place more than once.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I only bought my home airport because I actually would notice if it’s off and I fly its approach in game all the time.

It’s Orbx. It’s accurate enough, but the ground vehicles don’t really work anymore so lol

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh absolutely and don't get me wrong, anything external is great - I just mean stuff like the inside of a terminal or a hangar that never opens. I'm just happy Denver has Blucifer

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 21, 2022

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Mostly what airports provide are reasonable looking ground and building textures/models. Good quality scenery will also model some of the surrounding city, like FlyTampa Vegas. If you want a good comparison, the free EGKK on Flightsim.to stands up to just about any payware airport.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Oh yeah I'm with you on internal detailing, I'm never looking at that. Maybe drone cam around it once and forgetting about it. Also for some reason flightsim.to has 3 different version of my local grass strip EGSR, a tiny little nondescript place that several people care enough about to make scenery for.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Squiggle posted:

Oh absolutely and don't get me wrong, anything external is great - I just mean stuff like the inside of a terminal or a hangar that never opens. I'm just happy Denver has Blucifer

look at that horses huge balls

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

That horse's dick is the coolest part

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Mike Pence Edition

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Squiggle posted:

That horse's dick is the coolest part

The fact that it literally killed its own creator is the actual coolest part

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Does anyone have tips for getting bush trips to complete successfully in MSFS 20? Progression seems normal up until the last leg, at which point it never seems to register correctly. I'm left with a bunch of trips at 90% complete or whatever.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Animal posted:

Ah, St Barts. Back when I got my first multi-engine job flying C402's and Aztec's, the boss was a boomer prick like most Part 135 owners. One day he came back to TJSJ late and without his Aztec. With a heroic tale about how the airplane malfunctioned while on final for TFFJ RWY10 and he saved the day but had to leave the airplane there for minor repairs. This was around 2009 so the beginning of smartphone cameras, YouTube, and viral videos. A few days later a video popped up of him completely loving up his approach, refusing to go-around, and finally touching down way down the runway and crashing at the end. We showed him the video during one of his weekly meetings where he would lecture us about safety. He became livid and told us to delete it and not share it with anyone. We had to explain to him how YouTube worked.

Anyways here's the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2o0acIlm4

Late to the party but lol, and I'm pretty sure I also watched that video in ground school

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MxhQ1aRqi8&t=15039s

PMDG 737 coming along nicely.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Doesn't look like anything to me. Just a standard Ryanair landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sim Update IX is out!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1250410/view/3220646091439959611

Looks to be 4.72GB in size.