Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was a fun podcast honestly (in fact a new episode went up yesterday ironically enough). I’m guessing it’s not gonna continue now that Glibert’s gone though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing some archival work and I found this gem that I think the thread would appreciate:

Cnut the Great posted:

Anyone ever notice this before? Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings and Attack of the Clones. Very similar-looking shots, only the pan is reversed:

Of course Obi-Wan is based on Gandalf and Dooku is based on Saruman. I would almost still say it was a coincidence were it not for there also being two vaguely comical extended shots of the good wizards hobbling down staircases to encounter the bad wizards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqgPa33mXU&t=17s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehNJ-sULpsM&t=57s

Even the musical cues are nearly identical, as if the Leonard Rosenman soundtrack were used as a temp track for John Williams.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bakshi makes, the world takes. Love that guy. Though Lucas certainly has his moments.

My top 3 Bakshi favs: American Pop, Hey Good Lookin', Wizards

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I'm doing some archival work and I found this gem that I think the thread would appreciate:
the poor man got ripped off by everybody and credited by nobody, and was paid with a lifetime of mainstream derision and scorn

it must be a surprise to him in his twilight years that everybody's looked at lord of the rings and gone "wait! this is a terrible adaptation of lotr... but also a masterpiece of animation in its own right??!" (until you hit the exact point where everything fell apart irl, but then the film becomes an educational experience about early animation technology.) it was a joke for decades, now everybody loves it

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

a bakshi list, ranked by how much i enjoy them as films

1) heavy traffic
2) wizards
3) american pop
4) hey good lookin'
5) c**nskin
6) lord of the rings
7) cool world

but every one has something to offer that has nothing to do with its actual watchability as a film. cool world is literally unwatchable, but i challenge you to find a more visceral portrait of las vegas in 1992.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It will never not crack me up that Rosenman was so pissed that the movie flopped that he just whited-out the title on his score and wrote in “Star Trek IV” in crayon

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1514358487198928899?s=20&t=mhZsq5cxSlQ88S6poNFMrw

He got the acorn.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Crying

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Amazing

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/naozane_kenzu/status/1514477478181363712

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:kimchi: Finally

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aw :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Very "Kiwi" vibes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seeing him get the acorn is super bittersweet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/CocoaFox023/status/1514914937625518082
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/806390745330499586?lang=en

i had some issues with turning red but not the insane take the youtuber in the twitter clip has. I still gave the film an A grade

i also gave an A to Luca which I saw on Sunday for the first time. it's interesting to contrast the two because despite some people trying to pigeonhole their styles as similar, Luca is a lot more focused on natural character acting while Turning Red is so much more manic and cartoony. One feels like it is channeling stop motion, while the other is going all-out Looney Tunes. I think the humor in Turning Red clicked for me more, while Luca was just a fun story with a likeable cast that had a bit too much 'old Pixar' humor in it for me. But both are great films, so well-directed that the time just flies by.

I went back and forth with my roommates about whether Luca really needs an antagonistic character to work as a film vs the general societal threat to the MCs' lives. Don't get me wrong, I know the biker guy is not really a villain, because for 95% of the film he is just a comic relief character that cheats to win races, until suddenly he has a harpoon. My roommates think he's important to the film, I am undecided myself. I think the film would work just fine without him, honestly. The race can still be dramatic, and there can still be a dramatic climax, but one that's more.. I don't know what's the word, humanity-based? Than the sort of downhill action chase that stands a bit in contrast to the grounded and smaller-scale storytelling that had been happening up until that point. Like it's not 'giant kaiju destroying the city', but there's a lot more immediate peril and stunts happening. I guess I don't feel too strongly about this though because they had crashed their made-up vespa a lot so there's a throughline throughout the film. But I am curious about what other ending sequences they might have considered.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 15, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:lol: what on earth. I was literally in 9th grade art class when 9/11 happened. Nothing about anything that happens in Turning Red felt off or wrong. I don't even know what this person is wanting changed to make it feel more accurate to a post 9/11 world.

Turning Red is gonna be one of those movies I'm gonna end up being super defensive about I think because it checked so many boxes for me, and also it felt so accurate to the time period.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 15, 2022

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember exactly what I was doing when the first tower was hit.

Some people still feel like 9/11 is too soon to talk about/shouldn't be mentioned in kid's media, despite that there's *adults* who weren't alive when it happen.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robindaybird posted:

I remember exactly what I was doing when the first tower was hit.

Some people still feel like 9/11 is too soon to talk about/shouldn't be mentioned in kid's media, despite that there's *adults* who weren't alive when it happen.

Not meaning to come off ageist or sexist but Turning Red is mostly about a bunch of boy-band-crazy 13 year old girls. Exactly how much time did that Twitter-vid guy want those 13 year old girls to spend discussing the Geo-political implications of the War on Terror?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Everyone posted:

Not meaning to come off ageist or sexist but Turning Red is mostly about a bunch of boy-band-crazy 13 year old girls. Exactly how much time did that Twitter-vid guy want those 13 year old girls to spend discussing the Geo-political implications of the War on Terror?

Heck even as an adult in a non US city it really wasn’t a big thing 5-6 months after unless you were flying to the US or something. There is no way 13 year olds would give a crap.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Being a 14 year old girl at that time, 9/11 happened, our school had an assembly about it a month later, and that was it. I was busy growing up and doing homework.

My parents, on the other hand, would watch endless Fox News coverage about it.

Oh wait does that guy mean all the Muslim girls in Turning Red should have been getting harassed about wearing religious garb? Cuz that definitely happened.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was an 8th grader in 2001 and despite 9/11 being a "I remember the day exactly" memory, it didn't dominate my 8th grade life. I had a kid brain and my world was still more caught up in my immediate, small world scale. I saw Spirited Away in theaters, I got to go trick or treating in a rich neighborhood under a full moon, I GOT MY FIRST PERIOD... I did continue to live an average kid life with average kid moments.

Within 4 months of 9/11 I moved back to an Islamic country with increasingly anti-American sentiments, but you know what? I still managed to have pizza parties and friendship drama and geek out over bands. Because I was a kid and dwelling on global fears was not yet on my radar.

I guess Mei's mom should have warned her not to trust brown people or something. For realism.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Still meaning to watch that. It's always interesting, the spoilers / context stuff. I have to imagine I'd be pretty surprised and maybe go hmmm if that popped up unexpectedly in a Pixar movie. But now I know, and knowing is half the battle. Reading SA really takes the surprise out of things, but not always in a bad way, since for example it'd take away any shock or surprise value, and a thing just has to stand on its quality outside of that I guess.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Everyone posted:

I would wager about as much time as the average 13 year old boy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I bet one of these Pandas does drugs and gets in a bad situation or two. Speaking of Bakshi! Funny animals are getting real again, like back in the day.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Darth TNT posted:

I would wager about as much time as the average 13 year old boy.
15 at the time, so a few years difference but there was a bit of talk in my peer group about worrying about a draft starting up for the inevitable war

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I actually was there, and I actually do remember the time period, and I think the person making this hot take is spouting bullshit.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Whenever 9/11 isn't on screen, the characters should all be asking "where's 9/11?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was in 4th grade when it happened. The day after we crashed our French fries into our chocolate milk towers and chuckled while the loud speaker blasted that wretched proud to be an American song. And making osama jokes too.

Kids didn’t give a fuccccccccccck about 9/11 bro.

YouTubers are such goobers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was a highschool freshman when 9/11 happened and in 2002 I can definitely say that 9/11 wasn't the subject of 99% of the conversations I had as a dumb teen w/ my dumb teen friends.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Lot of the comments here saying they didn't care seem to be from Americans so I just want to point out that the youtube fuckwit thought that 9-11 was the most important thing in the world, for years, outside the USA. Like 9-11 is more important in the UK than The Troubles were or w/e

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I was 14 and I remember there being a lot of worry about the draft and a lot of speculation as to which students would drop out to join the services. This was a just-outside-of-the-inner city public school in Ohio.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

I was in 4th grade when it happened. The day after we crashed our French fries into our chocolate milk towers and chuckled while the loud speaker blasted that wretched proud to be an American song. And making osama jokes too.

Kids didn’t give a fuccccccccccck about 9/11 bro.

YouTubers are such goobers

French Fries? Don't you mean Freedom Fries? Yes, I recall that asshattery as well.

I was in high school when the Challenger exploded. The very next day...

"What was the last thing they said on the Challenger?"

"Noo!!! Bud Light!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everyone posted:

French Fries? Don't you mean Freedom Fries? Yes, I recall that asshattery as well.

I was in high school when the Challenger exploded. The very next day...

"What was the last thing they said on the Challenger?"

"Noo!!! Bud Light!"

Lol I heard that one and I was in 4th grade.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

Lol I heard that one and I was in 4th grade.

I wish I could post a copy of my 7th grade Jr. High school handbook. That's the one which designated the "Student Smoking Area" where the 14 year olds could smoke.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, I didn't click and thought the idiot was pissy there's a passing reference to 9/11 as I've seen too many "TOO SOON! CHILDREN TRAUMATIIIIZE" takes.

but why would a bunch of canadian kids dwell on the events - it's a different type of idiocy.

And god drat did 9/11 completely break the Country genre.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah by 2002 the mood changed- there was the rev up to Iraq but it wasn’t constant fear and anxiety (though the Beltway Sniper had people on edge for a while.)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Sonic talk okay in here? Saw Sonic 2 last night and feel it did a great job expanding on the first film. There are some parts that drag the momentum a bit, but overall better than the first by miles (pun intended). Lots of easter eggs to hunt down.
I watched the second movie without checking Metacritic at all and I'm surprised it's at a 47 but apparently the original is also a 47 so that tracks.

This is the kind of movie that somewhat defies the idea of critical consensus because as a medium Sonic fan all I really needed it to do was make me tear up a bit when he inevitably went Super Sonic and it did, that part delivered for sure.

There's definitely big sections that could've been cut without any loss to the overall story but sometimes it's fun to spend time with Sonic and the boys ya know.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Sonic 2 would have been much better if the only human characters were Robotnik, his sidekick, and that one Russian guy, you know the one

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sonic 2 would have been much better if the only human characters were Robotnik, his sidekick, and that one Russian guy, you know the one

Vladimir Putin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

The 7th Guest posted:

I went back and forth with my roommates about whether Luca really needs an antagonistic character to work

It's probably more in vogue right now to have had a villain redemption arc where Luca and Alberto save his life in the middle of the film and he stands up for them at the end.

It's been a long time since WDAS or Pixar have had an antagonist continuously defined from the beginning of the movie as a serious threat, and over twenty years since it was the norm.

Jafar, Hades, Ursula and Scar went out of fashion and were gradually replaced with comic or minor adversaries like Yzma, Captain Gantu, Scroop, Chef Skinner, and the 'twist villains' of the 2010s. Or no real villain at all.