Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Hope Korda recovers, but that's a fascinating glimpse into mental illness from that "doctor".

What dots are you connecting about dots the doctor supposedly is connecting....what do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The archaeologist?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

where does "mental illness" come into it exactly

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

The archaeologist?

Ah. Not a medical Dr. I'm assuming she's also a covid recoveree, disabled, so rather invested emotionally.

drat shame about Korda though.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Willzilla posted:

I like the look of those grips. Are they the fancy kangaroo leather type or something else?

Nah, they're Winn Dri-Tac Wraps in the Copper colorway but they're midsize. I had MCC +4s on my clubs for a long time but my fingers would always feel strained after a round. These are so much more comfortable. May have messed up the swing weight but I'll live with it for this season.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Shrapnig posted:

Walking negates the calories from the booze obviously. You can drink forever if you're walking the whole time.

:hmmyes:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
As a person who works with blood clot removal fairly regularly, korda kind of fits the bill for who is overall healthy but also be at risk for a random blood clot. Younger white female, history of COVID, slender/lean bodies tend to have somewhat narrower subclavian veins, also possibly taking hormonal birth control is another huge risk for a random clot. Not that I know any of her situation but it's what I tend to see at the hospital.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Cart chat: I love to walk my home course as the longest walk from one green to the next tee is like 100m. I was golfing in Arizona a couple weeks ago though and holy poo poo: it was scorching hot and I had to drive my cart about 3 minutes flat out between some of the holes. Would have taken forever to play a round and I may have dropped dead in the heat while I did it.

The other thing about Arizona is dryness....... Never played in conditions like that. I was getting insane rollouts (thin shot with my 3 hybrid went over 290 yards) and the "rough" didn't even slow my ball down. Had a number of layups that landed in the fairway and rolled through 10 yards of rough to end up in a hazard.

Overall I wasn't too pleased with my score on the first round of the year with new clubs. They're hollow body "game improvement" irons with stronger lofts than I'm used to so I had a lot of "good" shots that sailed over the green... but did have a couple really nice pars which included a 300+ yard drive, nice sand save and chip, and some good putts! Hopes are high to be in the 80s on my home course by the end of the season especially once I get used to the new equipment

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dr. Capco posted:

As a person who works with blood clot removal fairly regularly, korda kind of fits the bill for who is overall healthy but also be at risk for a random blood clot. Younger white female, history of COVID, slender/lean bodies tend to have somewhat narrower subclavian veins, also possibly taking hormonal birth control is another huge risk for a random clot. Not that I know any of her situation but it's what I tend to see at the hospital.

Cool I'll add it to the pile of things to worry about with Covid, along wth "being able to walk a course again". Scary stuff for her but hopefully she will fully recover and get back to her winning ways.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
New record. Played behind a six ball. Mom, dad and four kids under the age of ten, all playing with the two sets of clubs mom and dad brought. Oh, and the kids drove the carts sometimes. They had the first tee time on a Friday.

They had not, however, informed the course. They booked a two ball and paid for two. Not sure how they wrangled two carts.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Cart only course design is loving terrible

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

if you have an Athletic subscription, one of their golf writers pulled a golden ticket at Augusta and got to play in the media round on Monday after The Masters.

can't copy/paste the whole thing in there but a couple highlights:

quote:

My goal was to break a hundred and not 1) embarrass myself or 2) injure myself. Hang the banner: Mission Accomplished.

Pro tip: Don’t play Augusta for your first round of the season. No. 1 at Augusta was my first hole since a Nov. 26 round at Cascata GC in Las Vegas.
Yeah, I tripled the first.

What was the highlight of your round at Augusta National? — Sean M.
Elliott [the writer's caddy for the day] gave me two options into the traditional Sunday pin-placement on No. 12. Go with the safe play on the left side, about 145 yards; or take the risk and go right at the stick, about 160 yards. We were into a one-club wind. Since there’s likely zero chance of ever playing Augusta again, I had to go for it all.
This swing? It was total dogshit. Hurried at the top, bladed it. A flare to the right in the water.

Elliot said let’s head to the drop area. Another caddie in the group, my man Marcus, says, “Or you hit another one right here and don’t go out like that.”

Teed another one up. This swing? One of the best 7-irons of my life. Mid-flight, all of us on the tee box realize … oh poo poo … that might be in. It’s coming down all over the stick. It lands, we hold our breath, wait … it doesn’t disappear.

Once on the green, we find a ball mark 8 inches in front of the cup. The ball is 5 feet past the cup. Finished with a bogey, yes, but will remember it for the rest of my life. Eight inches from the greatest par ever recorded.

wonderful stuff about playing Augusta (from the members', of course) without having any time to wrap your head around the fact you're playing Augusta.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

First round under 90 today with an 86. Irons were absolutely on fire on the back 9, I was pinning approach shots within 10 feet. Now to be psychologically ready to shot 115 next time out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone else collect golf cards?

Newest add to the collection is the Bubba signed Augusta scorecard.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Been there, done that.

https://i.imgur.com/4E7aUWe.mp4

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That final round was the full Spieth experience. Two eagles, long putts made, 3 footers missed, almost holing out from a bunker to win the playoff. It’s really hard to watch his practice swing and ever imagine he’s going to hit it well but he struck the poo poo out of the ball this week.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Weather has been too bad to play around here so I've been hitting the range a lot with the Garmin R10 in tow. Something is hosed up in either my clubs or (more likely) my swing because my 8-PW, 52, and 56 all go about the same distance. Within about 1 or 2 yds of each other.

I was hoping to get custom fitted this year, but I think I'll spend that money of lessons instead.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
How do you like the R10?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The R10 is incredible. Best bang for your buck. I can't recommend it enough.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mederlock posted:

How do you like the R10?

Do you like having more data about your swing and shot than you know what to do with?
Do you like having auto recorded videos everytime you hit a shot?
Do you just wanna see some raw fuckin' numbers?

If yes, then the R10 is amazing.

I've not tried playing any of the games for it, and I don't have an indoor sim to plug it into E6 or anything so I can't speak to that, but for just cracking out balls at the range it's great.

I have found a single hiccup with it: It catches a lot of false positives in the rain as it will often pickup raindrops as the start of a swing, so if you're not paying attention to the little LED it can miss some shots. But that's only when it's raining and the wind is blowing raindrops toward you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'M BACK MOTHER FUCKERS LOOK AT JOHN DALY'S KID BEING DALY AS gently caress

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1516423391670112264

Weedle
May 31, 2006

"I have seen my father’s great relationship with Hooters over the years" - kid whose dad refuses to go to any restaurant other than hooters

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

Do you like having more data about your swing and shot than you know what to do with?
Do you like having auto recorded videos everytime you hit a shot?
Do you just wanna see some raw fuckin' numbers?

If yes, then the R10 is amazing.

I've not tried playing any of the games for it, and I don't have an indoor sim to plug it into E6 or anything so I can't speak to that, but for just cracking out balls at the range it's great.

I have found a single hiccup with it: It catches a lot of false positives in the rain as it will often pickup raindrops as the start of a swing, so if you're not paying attention to the little LED it can miss some shots. But that's only when it's raining and the wind is blowing raindrops toward you.

I hung up three nets in my garage I bought from Harbor Freight, and use the R10 in my garage. It's a great way to work on your swing. I haven't used any of the games, as all I care about is launch angle and side spin. I highly recommend it if you need a cheap way to see whats going on with your game in the winter.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wings for all at the turn around!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m playing Bethpage Black tomorrow, woo boy I’m gonna suck.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

daslog posted:

I hung up three nets in my garage I bought from Harbor Freight, and use the R10 in my garage. It's a great way to work on your swing. I haven't used any of the games, as all I care about is launch angle and side spin. I highly recommend it if you need a cheap way to see whats going on with your game in the winter.

The primary thing stopping me is the empty space. We're planning on moving in the next year or so and the number one requirement for me is to have a space for a sim. Even if it's an empty garage bay I don't care.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RCarr posted:

Pics!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Awesome! That's on my bucket list of courses! Are you local or are you doing the get there at 2am and sleep in the parking lot thing?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Yolo round booked at McCleary GC in Vancouver because a buddy noticed a time slot came available this weekend. Each of us used a different service to check the weather forecast, each service is giving us a different result.

I'm packing for possible rain and hoping I'm wrong.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

DJExile posted:

I'M BACK MOTHER FUCKERS LOOK AT JOHN DALY'S KID BEING DALY AS gently caress

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1516423391670112264

This kid looks like he fuckin loves Hooters

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mattfl posted:

Awesome! That's on my bucket list of courses! Are you local or are you doing the get there at 2am and sleep in the parking lot thing?

Local. My Dad is visiting from Florida and we have never played it so we said, gently caress it, let’s go!

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

MustardFacial posted:

Yolo round booked at McCleary GC in Vancouver because a buddy noticed a time slot came available this weekend. Each of us used a different service to check the weather forecast, each service is giving us a different result.

I'm packing for possible rain and hoping I'm wrong.

I’m currently vacationing in Kelowna and the weather says rain for the days Im free to play but all the locals say don’t trust the forecast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looks like I'm playing golf on Tuesday. The last time was June 2021, before than July 2020, and then we have to go back to September 2019 :effort:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

lloyol posted:

I’m currently vacationing in Kelowna and the weather says rain for the days Im free to play but all the locals say don’t trust the forecast.

Yeah, the weather forecast is more of a "general suggestion" than an actual forecast around here. If the chance of rain is less than about 70-80% then it's worth taking the gamble on trying to get a round in. We usually pack for the worst, but hope for the best, lightweight packable rain jackets, waterproof shoes, and rain gloves are key.

Usually when it's raining it's also going to be at least a bit windy so I find umbrellas more of a hindrance than a help.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks like I'm playing golf on Tuesday. The last time was June 2021, before than July 2020, and then we have to go back to September 2019 :effort:

I predict that you will have highs and lows.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bethpage Black is just brutally hard. It’s unfair. Definitely glad I played there once and it was a cool experience, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again, unless I somehow become a scratch golfer one day.

Like, a 470 yard, uphill par 4, is just mean. And that’s from the whites!

There were so many times where we were like, ok here’s a par 5. Nope. Having to lay up on a par 4 when you hit a 230 yard drive dead center of the fairway :(

My phone says we walked over 10 miles while playing. A ton of that was up/downhill. My body is hurting, for sure.

Pin placements were crazy too. Like 5 feet from the front edge of the green, protected by bunkers in front, while sloping down towards the back. Unless you have crazy backspin you can’t possibly land it close.

I have some pictures that I’ll post when I figure out how to phone post them.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 21, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Bethpage Black is just brutally hard. It’s unfair. Definitely glad I played there once and it was a cool experience, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again, unless I somehow become a scratch golfer one day.

Like, a 470 yard, uphill par 4, is just mean. And that’s from the whites!

There were so many times where we were like, ok here’s a par 5. Nope. Having to lay up on a par 4 when you hit a 230 yard drive dead center of the fairway :(

My phone says we walked over 10 miles while playing. A ton of that was up/downhill. My body is hurting, for sure.

Pin placements were crazy too. Like 5 feet from the front edge of the green, protected by bunkers in front, while sloping down towards the back. Unless you have crazy backspin you can’t possibly land it close.

I have some pictures that I’ll post when I figure out how to phone post them.

Man that sounds brutal, but I still wanna do it!

For images, I've found it easiest to create a imgur album and just link that. The imgur phone app is super easy to use.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mattfl posted:

Man that sounds brutal, but I still wanna do it!

For images, I've found it easiest to create a imgur album and just link that. The imgur phone app is super easy to use.

Yea it’s absolutely worth doing once. Just don’t expect to play great, haha.

I shot a 106 🤷

https://imgur.com/gallery/ImQxr8I

(I am not a photographer, sorry for the quality)

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 21, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did you carry for the 10 miles? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Yea it’s absolutely worth doing once. Just don’t expect to play great, haha.

I shot a 106 🤷

https://imgur.com/gallery/ImQxr8I

(I am not a photographer, sorry for the quality)

Great pics!