Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I might be drunk but where is Germany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:actually:, the only direct pipeline to Germany runs through Vilpuri, which is actually Finnish, hence there are no direct imports.

The entire thing is completely hosed and you are less informed if you look at it. It's amazing.

e: It could be Verschlimmbessert by adding some regression to it.

e2: I applied the standard regression method of "squinting and ignoring outliers". I think we can see a pretty clear trend.

Antigravitas has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Apr 15, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s the Costco hot dog of beverages.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm the 6 flavors of christians and [other]
I too am the dewey decimal system

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's from a rather cute article actually

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-04-12/az-iced-tea-inflation-99-cents

quote:

The short answer: the company is making less money. The big cans are still profitable, but for the moment, they’re much less so than a few years ago.

Don Vultaggio, the 70-year-old, 6-foot-8 founder and chairman of the company, is choosing to take a haircut in order to keep the price flat and cans moving.

“I’m committed to that 99 cent price — when things go against you, you tighten your belt,” Vultaggio said on a Zoom call in early April from his headquarters on Long Island, N.Y. Even though his costs are higher, “I don’t want to do what the bread guys and the gas guys and everybody else are doing,” Vultaggio said. “Consumers don’t need another price increase from a guy like me.”

Vultaggio has his own explanation for the 99-cent appeal. “It’s been like that since cavemen, the 99-cent price point was exciting then, and it’s exciting today,” Vultaggio said. “Something under a dollar is attractive,” and knowing exactly how much more a drink is going to add to your lunch offers a sense of security. “I started out as a blue collar guy, and budgeting your finances on a daily basis was a part of life.”

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I have bad news
https://twitter.com/cloudeeuhh/status/1514750310677422091

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

Somewhere between Denmark and Switzerland.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Carthag Tuek posted:

above 100% obviously

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

:actually:, the only direct pipeline to Germany runs through Vilpuri, which is actually Finnish, hence there are no direct imports.

The entire thing is completely hosed and you are less informed if you look at it. It's amazing.

e: It could be Verschlimmbessert by adding some regression to it.

e2: I applied the standard regression method of "squinting and ignoring outliers". I think we can see a pretty clear trend.

Swaziland made a strategic mistake renaming itself eSwatini, and has fallen into Russian sphere of influence; on the other hand we can strongly endorse that New Zealand be renamed Aotearoa.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

steinrokkan posted:

we can strongly endorse that New Zealand be renamed Aotearoa.

we should be strongly endorsing this regardless of any elegant charts and/or graphs

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Regarde Aduck posted:

above 100% obviously

Germany is the background colour.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
It took way too long for me to realize that the countries were in alphabetical order, but when I did I could finally stop my search for Germany. That's one good thing about that axis, I guess.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

steinrokkan posted:

we can strongly endorse that New Zealand be renamed Aotearoa.

That's still not going to get it put back on the maps, pal! :colbert:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1515330434066006023?s=20&t=DrGhrAP4LsPk2-eC1uPrxg

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Captain Kosmos posted:

I'll take change and I'll be the purple thing that's barely showing.
There's could be something fancy.
Edit:
drat

I guess I'm the dude loving goat. :shrug:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillologycirclejerk/comments/8r9iu8/most_offensive_flag_20_hd/
Found it with image search.

Posting this here because while it might technically be a flag its also a chart of sorts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I guess this lays very clear geopolitical sphere's of interests, then. In a way it's also helpful in pointing out how big the northern Atlantic is compared to non-Russian Europe, instinctively I would have thought that Ireland would be closer to Titanic's wreck than to Black Sea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It also shows how close (in a relative sense) the wreck of the Titanic is to America. I always thought it sank basically right in the middle of the ocean.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sagebrush posted:

It also shows how close (in a relative sense) the wreck of the Titanic is to America. I always thought it sank basically right in the middle of the ocean.

It's funny, I had the exact same thought. I absolutely would've put it way further northeast, somewhere out west of the UK in the big empty area south of Greenland/Iceland.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The Atlantic is a sad little puddle doomed to live in the shadow of Pacific supremacy.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

NFX posted:

It took way too long for me to realize that the countries were in alphabetical order, but when I did I could finally stop my search for Germany. That's one good thing about that axis, I guess.

Have you forgotten your history?

Germany is in the Axis!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

Have you forgotten your history?

Germany is in the Axis!

:aaaaa:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
https://twitter.com/eversion/status/1514909172785049604?t=QXKylZ7ynCdEf-hAERQV3Q&s=19

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think that diagram is neat. It just needs more marks on the axes imo

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Sagebrush posted:

I think that diagram is neat. It just needs more marks on the axes imo

I agree. I would like to see the values that mark the boundaries of the human experience box, with the conversion to common units (specifically converting seconds to years, which I assume is the upper boundary)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
1017 seconds is on the order of the age of the Earth.

1026 metres is on the order of the radius of the observable universe.

A billion seconds is approximately thirty-one years. The human experience is bounded by something under 210.

Don’t as me what’s going on with any of the other bounds. They chart’s lower boundaries are far larger than the Planck units.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jjack229 posted:

I agree. I would like to see the values that mark the boundaries of the human experience box, with the conversion to common units (specifically converting seconds to years, which I assume is the upper boundary)

If you click through, the second tweet is the facing page of the book it's taken from, and it explains that they determine the unaided human experience to be bounded by 0.1mm / the size of the earth, and 1 millisecond / 100 years (a lifetime).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is 0.1 mm the smallest measure we're meant to interact with? This is very concerning.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

zedprime posted:

Is 0.1 mm the smallest measure we're meant to interact with? This is very concerning.

"without tools" is the implication

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"without tools" is the implication

I call bullshit. Nobody has a feeling for how big the earth actually is, people top out at like a few miles at most. Evidence: see how often people convert travel distances to time to figure out how big it actually is

Piell has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Apr 17, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think you can feel smaller imperfections than .1mm on an otherwise smooth surface with your fingertips.

E: I guess such a smooth surface would have to have been made with tools.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Apr 17, 2022

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd say the max should top out at what could be perceived at once, which would probably be the view from a mountain. Either way you shift it around, we're "just" taking about being off by a couple orders of magnitude which doesn't affect the point of the really neat little thought experiment

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I kinda like that box as a generality. In the field I work in, I've seen similar ideas used to illustrate the general spatial/temporal scales covered by various sets and classes of research measurements. It's nothing particularly deep, but it's a nice way to illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of measurements people might work with, and show how different ones complement each other.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That chart should be changed to depict the time and space limitations of loving things in the physical world. What are the smallest and largest objects that you can gently caress, and what is the shortest time you can come and the longest time you can hold it.

And somewhere in the corner is another rectangle labelled "UR MOM"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think you can feel smaller imperfections than .1mm on an otherwise smooth surface with your fingertips.

There's rocks that have pretty distinct sheer lines, you could easily find a split rock with a practically smooth surface with imperfections that small.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I'd say the max should top out at what could be perceived at once, which would probably be the view from a mountain.

So bascially the sun, then, or if brightness is an issue, the moon?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would suggest that the human experience should be defined in arcseconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

You certainly can. I've read that human fingertips are sensitive enough to pick up nanometer-scale textures in certain circumstances.

There are definitely some kinds of natural glassy rocks, polished pebbles, etc that have better than 100 micron smoothness, and you would be able to feel much smaller imperfections than that in its surface.

I suppose it's kind of a question of how we are perceiving these things and in what context. I probably wouldn't notice a sub-100 micron grain of sand sitting on my desk, but I might if it were in a bite of food. And detecting a change in a constant field/stimulus is often much easier than detecting the same magnitude of stimulus on its own -- consider picking a motionless tiger out of the bushes vs. the same tiger when it moves.