Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

If I didn't know better I'd say you picked Friday for updates because this would happen.

Happy accidents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's other mods for SPT that try to make it more like an actual single player game rather than just disabling other players or adjusting health amounts. It's still within what was made as a multiplayer game so it doesn't work for everything but there are some people out there that really want to play EFT by themselves. One of the more recent ones combines a bunch of mods which change a bunch of things more suited to multiplayer and also turns EFT quasi open world with the map exits linked to the spawns on other maps (so the Road to Customs extract will take you to Customs) and smaller hideouts between the maps, different from the main hideout. Traders are also only accessed from certain extractions. It's all kind of janky and ambitious.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kibayasu posted:

There's other mods for SPT that try to make it more like an actual single player game rather than just disabling other players or adjusting health amounts. It's still within what was made as a multiplayer game so it doesn't work for everything but there are some people out there that really want to play EFT by themselves. One of the more recent ones combines a bunch of mods which change a bunch of things more suited to multiplayer and also turns EFT quasi open world with the map exits linked to the spawns on other maps (so the Road to Customs extract will take you to Customs) and smaller hideouts between the maps, different from the main hideout. Traders are also only accessed from certain extractions. It's all kind of janky and ambitious.

From what I understand, some of that stuff like linked extractions and in-raid traders are features that BSG has said they are planning to put into the main game. So modders are trying to get ahead of them, which is kinda crazy considering the game isn't built to accommodate it yet. I forgot to mention that the only reason I even started looking at modding Tarkov in the first place was so I could set the time and weather conditions of an offline raid. What a rabbit hole that was.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

05 - ONI Alpha Site

The Covenant really wants this building (and its secrets), but we aren't going to let them have it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It's safe to assume that Brute Hammers are part of the list of "Things ODST cannot arbitrarily interact with, but Master Chief can", right?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Stanforth wasn't reassigned by Cortana, that was Ackerson.

And that is indeed Marcus Stacker's voice actor... Pete Stacker.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

AradoBalanga posted:

It's safe to assume that Brute Hammers are part of the list of "Things ODST cannot arbitrarily interact with, but Master Chief can", right?

It's safe to assume, sure.

Ablative posted:

Stanforth wasn't reassigned by Cortana, that was Ackerson.

Ah poo poo, you're right, that's embarrassing. Then which one is Stanforth?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Stanforth was the Admiral in charge of the Spartan-II project. One of them anyway. He was the one who led the reinforcement fleet for Keyes after the Keyes Loop, promoted him after. He was part of ONI and presumably died during Reach.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Yeah, he was the head of Section III until partway through the war, when he went over to FLEETCOM to command the defence of the Inner Colonies.

He led the naval defence at Reach and died as a result.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nice to see a big setpiece battle where you aren't expected to win, but have to repeatedly retreat.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Oh hey, apparently Rookie has an actual name now!

it's Jonathan Doherty. Jon Doh, if you will.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Nice to see a big setpiece battle where you aren't expected to win, but have to repeatedly retreat.

Kind of lost its oomph once you're inside though, those fights have to actually be beatable.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - NMPD HQ

A rendezvous gone wrong. No plan survives contact with the enemy.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The sniper rifle weighs 20 kilos and Rookie caught it with one hand. He then managed to bend the barrel a bit. Good god.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Ablative posted:

The sniper rifle weighs 20 kilos and Rookie caught it with one hand. He then managed to bend the barrel a bit. Good god.

he also punches brutes to death, so,

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I thought that 20kg is an absurd weight for a sniper rifle but since I know very little about firearms I went on a wikipedia journey and found out that while the Barrett is about 10kg, there are heavier rifles in use today, like the Polish WKW Wilk at 16kg.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Oh yeah and here's Nathan Fillion Buck Sergeant Reynolds with one.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

biosterous posted:

he also punches brutes to death, so,

ODSTs never skip arm day

Ablative posted:

Oh yeah and here's Nathan Fillion Buck Sergeant Reynolds with one.

poo poo, my first thought was "wow, he looks young". And then I had to have the realization that that picture was taken like 15 years ago.

My second thought was that it's nice to see someone involved with Halo holding a rifle properly. I've been watching the Halo TV show and actually enjoying it, but the first episode had so much shooting and basically no character either knew how, or was unable to hold a rifle correctly due to their costume. Drove me a little crazy.

edit: After a quick re-watch of that scene it's not as bad as I was remembering. But the Spartans look awkward as hell holding rifles still.

edit2:

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 16, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just want to say that the sign on the building saying "Jotun", not "Scrotum"was a huge disappointment.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

edit: After a quick re-watch of that scene it's not as bad as I was remembering. But the Spartans look awkward as hell holding rifles still.

edit2:

Good trigger discipline, at least.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

My second thought was that it's nice to see someone involved with Halo holding a rifle properly. I've been watching the Halo TV show and actually enjoying it, but the first episode had so much shooting and basically no character either knew how, or was unable to hold a rifle correctly due to their costume. Drove me a little crazy.

edit2:

One of the clips that's been making the rounds from the show is the Chief throwing down a rifle because he gets surprised by the enemy. When the clip starts, the rifle is clearly a practical prop made to look like the Assault Rifle. However, when John throws the rifle away, it smash cuts to a blatantly CGI rifle on the ground instead of the actual prop the actor was holding literally milliseconds ago. I'm starting to wonder if the prop budget was so strained that the crew had to instruct the actors to not hold the weapon props like they would a normal gun because they were worried the props would break with a normal grip.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That clip was from the first few minutes of the first episode. I'm prepared to give the show a lot of leeway for what was probably the pilot they used to get the show off the ground.

It did look janky as hell and I almost laughed when I saw the lovely cgi gun, though.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The greatest sin of the Halo TV show thus far is giving the Master Chief facial hair and I will die on this hill

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If we're talking about breaking immersion, they really have to stop showing the Spartan's feet and their massive lifts.

It's like Elon Musk every time I see them.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

I mean, they look about as high as the ones from H2A to me?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Supersoldiers need superlift, nothin' weird about that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm more curious as to why a police department has a friggin' troop transport jet typically used for military applications.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Samovar posted:

I'm more curious as to why a police department has a friggin' troop transport jet typically used for military applications.
USpolicefunding.txt

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

They apparently use them for prisoner transport and search-and-rescue, on top of New Mombasa being a tether city and thus kind of justifiably high-priority.

Sylphosaurus posted:

USpolicefunding.txt

It's probably this though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The UNSC are the bad guys, repressing dissent is their thing. Hardly surprising the police have a bunch of military hardware for their crackdowns.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

The UNSC are the bad guys, repressing dissent is their thing. Hardly surprising the police have a bunch of military hardware for their crackdowns.
Yeah, never forget that the Spartan program was supposed to be a way to put down rebel activity in human colonies, which was also basically run by space Mengele.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, never forget that the Spartan program was supposed to be a way to put down rebel activity in human colonies, which was also basically run by space Mengele.

I'm not going to claim that the Halo show is amazing, but one of the complaints I've regularly been seeing about it is how much it leans into the UNSC as space fascists and I'm like "...that's probably the part that's most lore accurate."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly surprised there wasn't a sniper section before crossing the crane. That's exactly the kind of location there's always something like that.

Ablative posted:

Its probably easier to bend metal once its already been bent like that.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If we're talking about breaking immersion, they really have to stop showing the Spartan's feet and their massive lifts.

It's like Elon Musk every time I see them.

I mean, those definitely are lifts, but it never stood out to me as being odd. Spartans got big ol' stompers.

Samovar posted:

I always figured it was wartime mass production. They're probably producing Pelicans by the tens of thousands for the war effort. Might as well tack a few hundred more on for domestic use.

Sylphosaurus posted:

malkav11 posted:

I'm not going to claim that the Halo show is amazing, but one of the complaints I've regularly been seeing about it is how much it leans into the UNSC as space fascists and I'm like "...that's probably the part that's most lore accurate."

Yeah, I actually think the show does a good job at showing the dark side of the UNSC. But my complaint is that I think they're going overboard with their portrayal of Halsey as being outright "evil". She's a complicated character and I tend to see her as less malicious and more naïve, but also too smart to recognize her own blind spots. She came up with the Spartan program when she was in her late teens or early twenties and totally thought she had the world figured out. What's breaking a few six year old eggs if it means preserving peace in the galaxy? Later on after a whole lot of war with the Covenant she does express regret for some of the things she's done, but also can't stop crediting herself and the Spartan program for saving humanity. She's definitely not "good", but I think reducing her to a generic mad scientist misses some of the nuance.

Kibayasu posted:

Its probably easier to bend metal once its already been bent like that.

It's actually the opposite. Bending it the first time damages the molecular structure of the metal, and it becomes harder to bend again and more likely to break. I had a professor in university who brought in a metal bar and bent it in front of us, and then got big dudes in the class to try and bend it back and they couldn't. The next class he brought it back (after annealing it) and straightened it out and called the guys wussies, before explaining how it all worked. Guess it was an effective demonstration since I still remember it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah some metals work harden (increase in hardness when subjected to plastic deformation), some more and faster than others. Like Titanium, which is infamously annoying to machine/cut since it very, very quickly work hardens and ruins bits.

Bending a regular gun barrel though, let alone a 20kg, 50 cal firing monster, thats some superhuman feat.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The real question is, what was he trying to accomplish? If he'd managed it, that thing probably would have gone up like Kentucky Ballistics the second he pulled the trigger, the barrel's crimped.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
He was checking to see how much force would have been required to do such a thing. As a kid I did that a lot when I found bent metal for exactly that reason.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ablative posted:

The real question is, what was he trying to accomplish? If he'd managed it, that thing probably would have gone up like Kentucky Ballistics the second he pulled the trigger, the barrel's crimped.
I'm guessing that cutscene was put together with the assumption that the player hadn't found any hidden caches yet and was a tease of "Oh hey, finally some higher caliber weaponry!". This, of course, also assumes that the player opted to avoid picking up any dropped Covenant beam rifle from dead Jackals for long range/heavy damage (like Frenzy did in his original LP of ODST). So...yeah, what the Rookie was trying to accomplish is confusing if you think logically, because at best that busted sniper rifle's only use at this point is to: prime a plasma grenade, stick to the ruined rifle, huck it into an enemy cluster, and pray you take out a lot of enemies with the blast + shrapnel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pickled Tink posted:

He was checking to see how much force would have been required to do such a thing. As a kid I did that a lot when I found bent metal for exactly that reason.

"How the gently caress did they manage to gently caress this thing up this loving badly?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah, I actually think the show does a good job at showing the dark side of the UNSC. But my complaint is that I think they're going overboard with their portrayal of Halsey as being outright "evil". She's a complicated character and I tend to see her as less malicious and more naïve, but also too smart to recognize her own blind spots. She came up with the Spartan program when she was in her late teens or early twenties and totally thought she had the world figured out. What's breaking a few six year old eggs if it means preserving peace in the galaxy? Later on after a whole lot of war with the Covenant she does express regret for some of the things she's done, but also can't stop crediting herself and the Spartan program for saving humanity. She's definitely not "good", but I think reducing her to a generic mad scientist misses some of the nuance.

Yeah, the whole situation is much more complicated that just 'Halsey Evil'. The UEG were very much in the wrong, but the Insurrectionists weren't exactly angels. Halsey didn't do what she did out of curiosity or malice, but because she thought it was right. Despite what she did to them, she still considered the Spartans to basically be 'her' children. And while it doesn't absolve her of personal responsibility, it wasn't like she did everything on her own, ONI and the UNSC were both involved in the project. If you think what was done to the Spartan-IIs was bad, wait until you hear about the S-IIIs.

Writing wise, Eric Nylund definitely wrote her in too favourable a light, but people who followed after went way too far in the opposite direction. Glasslands basically had people do a total flip on their attitudes while in the middle of the story.