Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i feel like I could at least hoist up a 3 in an NBA game. there would then be a 1-5% chance it would go in depending on How Hard I'm Feeling It that day.

i cling to that because I think the worst thing that happens to me is either I get the ball smashed back in my face so hard I get my nose broke, whereas in the NHL/NFL/MLB i would get awful concussion, awful concussion, and potential TBI from getting clocked in the head. so if there's any genies out there, i'll take my odds in making a bucket

Wait, you don't think you'll get a concussion if you get the ball spiked in your face so hard it breaks your nose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

i feel like I could at least hoist up a 3 in an NBA game. there would then be a 1-5% chance it would go in depending on How Hard I'm Feeling It that day.

i cling to that because I think the worst thing that happens to me is either I get the ball smashed back in my face so hard I get my nose broke, whereas in the NHL/NFL/MLB i would get awful concussion, awful concussion, and potential TBI from getting clocked in the head. so if there's any genies out there, i'll take my odds in making a bucket

I don't think you realize how hard it is to catch and shoot as quickly as NBA players do before someone closes out on you. There's a bunch of players at other levels that can make 3s at an NBA % but they just can't get their shot off fast enough.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

Wait, you don't think you'll get a concussion if you get the ball spiked in your face so hard it breaks your nose?

If the nose acts like a crumple zone the actual impulse to the cranium is relatively minor.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think you realize how hard it is to catch and shoot as quickly as NBA players do before someone closes out on you. There's a bunch of players at other levels that can make 3s at an NBA % but they just can't get their shot off fast enough.

Yeah, the only way normal guy gets a point is if the defender trips or otherwise fucks up his block attempt and fouls to give up a couple free throws.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Just imagine 5'11" Doug from FedEx crouching down to heave the ball as far as he can with his entire body while a 6'8" dude with hands the size of hams runs and jumps at him from 12 feet away.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Just imagine 5'11" Doug from FedEx crouching down to heave the ball as far as he can with his entire body while a 6'8" dude with hands the size of hams runs and jumps at him from 12 feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAMRziMiaZk

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

just for perspective there are 6’6+ ncaa caliber players every year who are at risk of not making it in the nba because their shot release is too low or their shooting motion is too slow, every year

unless you are elevating like ray allen or dribbling yourself open like muggsy bogues, you’re not getting a shot up in a full speed nba game; it’s going right back in your face if it even leaves your hand

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
People are talking about two very different things and just posting past each other at this point.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When I was at Ohio State I played pickup ball once with Matt Terwilliger, who was 6-9 and not very good and he just dominated the poo poo out of absolutely everybody.

Blocking everything, shooting over everyone, cutting off passes.

We also played football in the snow once with two walk-ons who never saw the field and lol at anyone who thinks they have any idea of how good high level college players are.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Look - when I went to the University of Minnesota there was a grad student standing about 6'2" or 6'3" who'd started for a D3 team previously that was easily the best player in pickup games I played in at the gym. Anyone who thinks they could, even by random chance, make a bucket in an NBA game under normal circumstances (EX: not a free throw) is an utter loon.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 18, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

When I was at Ohio State I played pickup ball once with Matt Terwilliger, who was 6-9 and not very good and he just dominated the poo poo out of absolutely everybody.

We also played football in the snow once with two walk-ons who never saw the field and lol at anyone who thinks they have any idea of how good high level college players are.

poo poo I remember that guy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How would a WNBA player do?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lockback posted:

People are talking about two very different things and just posting past each other at this point.

No I'm very specifically saying that even if that player wasn't really being guarded they'd still get most of their shots blocked because of how long it would take for them to catch and shoot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

General Dog posted:

Some of them could do fine.

Like you have Reggie Miller who is a hall of fame player saying that his sister was better than him and nobody disagrees. So some of them could definitely play with the men.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Though it was in my case a punted basketball hitting me square in the forehead knocking me out for a few seconds, let me assure you that an NBA player spiking a basketball in your face could easily give you a concussion.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Some of them could do fine.

Like you have Reggie Miller who is a hall of fame player saying that his sister was better than him and nobody disagrees. So some of them could definitely play with the men.

Nobody actually thinks Cheryl would’ve been better than Reggie in the NBA, she just was more dominant in the women’s game than he was in men’s.

The biggest problem with translating WNBA players to men’s basketball is that everyone would have to slide down (or is it up?) a position due to height. Brittney Griner was basically Shaq at Baylor and that led to people asking if she should play in the NBA, where small forwards are often her size. It would need to be someone like Elena Delle Donne who is long but also highly skilled, and she would probably still die on defense out there against NBA players.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah, I played pickup in college against a walk on who couldn't get playing time at loving NIU, and that dude was unstoppable. Had some former high school players who usually were the best players at the runs, and they looked like they had never played basketball before.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nobody actually thinks Cheryl would’ve been better than Reggie in the NBA, she just was more dominant in the women’s game than he was in men’s.

The biggest problem with translating WNBA players to men’s basketball is that everyone would have to slide down (or is it up?) a position due to height. Brittney Griner was basically Shaq at Baylor and that led to people asking if she should play in the NBA, where small forwards are often her size. It would need to be someone like Elena Delle Donne who is long but also highly skilled, and she would probably still die on defense out there against NBA players.

I think a good perimeter shoot who can really catch and shoot fast could at least score some against NBA players. They'd have to really hustle, or get a lot of picks to be freed up and shoot that ball as soon as it's caught to prevent blocks. Overall, they would still be worse than the last person on the bench though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

No I'm very specifically saying that even if that player wasn't really being guarded they'd still get most of their shots blocked because of how long it would take for them to catch and shoot.

NBA defense you don't go for a block if a bad shooter is pulling up from the logo. If your saying in this case the defense would be doing that, then yeah you can't get a shot off. But that's a different question.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Goons could shoot free throws better than Ben Simmons

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I suspect that a skilled amateur might be able to win a hole in match play against a pro golfer and that's about it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
You can even see it with motorsport pros who change to a different discipline. Plenty of folks going between NASCAR, IndyCar, F1 and having different levels of success, but it's definitely not instant. I know he's older, but if an all-time NASCAR driver like Jimmy Johnson struggles in IndyCar, the amateur driver might not even get to lap 2, let alone finish the race at a slow pace.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nybble posted:

the amateur driver might not even get to lap 2, let alone finish the race at a slow pace.

Haven’t watched a race in awhile, but when I was, you could tell even the guys starting near the bottom of the NASCAR or IndyCar grids we’re active dangers to the rest of the field and those were like the top 50/30 drivers in their discipline. An amateur racer wouldn’t just crash themselves out, they’d probably get someone killed.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That's basically what's happening here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QIVf61s4DR4&feature=emb_title

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Now THIS is podracing!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And that’s with somebody who’s had more training and experience.

Let’s see somebody with less of both but lots of money, somehow!

https://youtu.be/O4HSpx3aBq8

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nybble posted:

You can even see it with motorsport pros who change to a different discipline. Plenty of folks going between NASCAR, IndyCar, F1 and having different levels of success, but it's definitely not instant. I know he's older, but if an all-time NASCAR driver like Jimmy Johnson struggles in IndyCar, the amateur driver might not even get to lap 2, let alone finish the race at a slow pace.

Eh a large part of motorsport is tied to what team you're on because like you have to basically be on like one of three or four teams in NASCAR Cup series to really have a chance at winning (and even then youd really have to be like #1 or #2 on the team, because they dont dole the good poo poo to #4)

F1 you're not going to podium unless you're basically on Mercedes, Ferrari, or Red Bull unless somehow all 3 of those get taken out in some form in a race

mostly because they all have the money to really spend and design in spec advantages and really train mechanics and crew

but also a lot of those teams are also really picky on who they pick because of sponshorship and you're never going to get an am driver 8n one of them anyway

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

I played pickup ball with Katie Smith once as well and while she was very good, it was surprisingly underwhelming.

Honestly didn’t feel much different than a normal rec center game.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

think I started this exact conversation of randos playing real sports in the ncaafb thread last offseason and have one I didn't think of then: PKs against a pro-level keeper. The goal looks really big, and they go in like half the time cause the guy just guesses wrong. What is the minimum level of skill where he can't just assume that your leg is not capable of sending anything on target at a speed and location he can't get to by just standing pat and waiting until the ball comes off your foot to react

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao, unless he’s taken a real hard turn into NFTs, it appears NBA writer Vince Goodwill got hacked by an NFT collective. Yikes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

harperdc posted:

Lmao, unless he’s taken a real hard turn into NFTs, it appears NBA writer Vince Goodwill got hacked by an NFT collective. Yikes.

What are these idiots trying to do, anyway?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Every NFT huckster thinks the only thing keeping them from being a millionaire is that people don't know about their specific randomly generated jpegs

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

all my bylines gone

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The glorious future: buying NFTs of Darren Rovell tweets

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

The glorious future: buying NFTs of Darren Rovell tweets

I feel bad for our blockchain but these NFTs hold tremendous value

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The Athletic has another deep dive into a college coach treating players like poo poo, with the usual feckless administrators doing nothing to stop it and allowing them to move from job to job.

https://theathletic.com/3292876/2022/05/05/cynthia-cooper-dyke-texas-southern/

quote:

At Texas Southern, Cooper-Dyke’s alleged actions led to a Title IX investigation that prompted the no-contact order. Records of the investigation reviewed by The Athletic indicate that among the allegations probed by the school:

When told that one of her players — who had a previously known mental health diagnosis — was depressed, Cooper-Dyke responded, “No, she will be all right, she just needs some dick, that’s all.” Later she called that same player a “sorry-rear end virgin.”
Cooper-Dyke came up behind a player while she was doing squats and said, “Ooh, your hips are big, you got a fat rear end and I can tell you like to ride some dick.’’
Cooper-Dyke repeatedly shamed a player for her weight in front of the team, and that player was so despondent she stopped eating in front of her coach.

Upon learning about the no-contact order, The Athletic began an investigation into Cooper-Dyke’s college coaching career and communicated with more than 25 individuals, including players and their family members and basketball staff members, most of whom witnessed alleged incidents first-hand. Many individuals requested anonymity due to Cooper-Dyke’s continued influence in women’s basketball or because they were limited by NDAs. The Athletic also reviewed written correspondence, phone records and video recordings and filed freedom of information requests in an effort to probe the claims. The investigation revealed broadly similar allegations that, for at least a decade, Cooper-Dyke routinely used overt sexual language with her players, in ways that many found to be inappropriate, demeaning and degrading. Among the allegations:

At UNC-Wilmington, where she coached from 2010-12, Cooper often talked about her own or players’ sex lives. For example, at one practice during the 2010-11 season, Cooper-Dyke said, “Wet, wet” after making a shot and then motioned to a player and said, “I bet that’s what (name redacted) was last night.”
During her first stint at Texas Southern, in 2012-13, Cooper-Dyke got on her knees in front of a male assistant during practice and mimicked performing fellatio, and she told one player that her slow running during a drill was due to her “getting dicked down” all the time. She called some players “Black-rear end child,” “bitch,” “pussy” and “dumbass.”
At USC, where Cooper-Dyke coached from 2013-17, she also harped on some players’ sex lives and named one of the team’s plays “hot sex.” She called some players “retarded” and once mocked people with special needs. She also pressured some players to practice when they were injured or returning from an injury.

There were also allegations that she and her staff doled out excessive punishment that team members say endangered players’ physical and mental health. At UNC-Wilmington, one such punishment drill – log rolls up and down the court – caused a player to vomit repeatedly and some of the skin on her knees to rub off. At USC, one player felt so wronged by Cooper-Dyke after her punishment that the player repeatedly punched a bleacher until her hand bled while Cooper-Dyke watched.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

clean ayers act posted:

The Athletic has another deep dive into a college coach treating players like poo poo, with the usual feckless administrators doing nothing to stop it and allowing them to move from job to job.

Maybe I'm a prude, but even if you take out the directly abusive stuff, I'd still find her to be disgusting. If a male coach said equivalent things to me and a team of men, I'd think he was a scummy piece of poo poo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Maybe I'm a prude, but even if you take out the directly abusive stuff, I'd still find her to be disgusting. If a male coach said equivalent things to me and a team of men, I'd think he was a scummy piece of poo poo.

I feel the same way, tbh.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Shams' life sounds like a weird huge bummer

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1524824196253110281?s=20&t=_Q6e-IXcqYmBQd2oKGFe0w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Yes but have you considered how fulfilling it must be to be a hotter basketball Adam schefter who manages to get scooped by players