Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If you want to work a bit to get your joke, here's something completely different (and the replies are pretty good).

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1516071586264141827?t=czvmVCmM8FPW2BFP9ecTAw&s=19

And yeah, that Infowars defensive bankruptcy might end up working (lawsuits yield bankruptcies a lot), but with how adversarial he is and the flavor of those lawsuits, he's going to get raked over the coals to keep money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah Jones is hosed here since he's an absolute pariah and is not going to get any of the benefit of a doubt nominally afforded to rich people hiding assets

There are also too many opportunists looking for him to fall and burn so they can inherit his suckers audience.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Yeah Jones is hosed here since he's an absolute pariah and is not going to get any of the benefit of a doubt nominally afforded to rich people hiding assets

He's also dumb as poo poo and appears to have not started hiding assets until he actually got sued, which is the opposite of how you want to do it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Notahippie posted:

He's also dumb as poo poo and appears to have not started hiding assets until he actually got sued, which is the opposite of how you want to do it.

I dunno if he's dumb, he's gotten a massive audience including a president hosting a show yelling whatever he wants and has made millions doing so and is gonna walk away from this still living in luxury.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hes not necessarily dumb, but he did buy completely into his own bullshit

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

hes not necessarily dumb, but he did buy completely into his own bullshit

Yeah, generally he's at least extremely cunning if not actively smart. But in the specific case of hiding assets, starting to move stuff around after you've been sued and not before is dumb as poo poo because while IANAL, what I understand is that the court system will cheerfully use that timing as evidence that this wasn't normal business operations and come down on him for it, whereas if he had just been doing it for a while they'd just shrug.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He’s an rear end in a top hat and that’s the only way he should be described.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RFC2324 posted:

Gotta say, suing yourself for everything you have is an unexpected form of money laundering

At least Avenatti had a conspirator sue him.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why do I always end up being the ah, well nevertheless guy. Alex Jones will be fine

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jones is malicious, self centered, cunning and charasmatic. You don't need one iota of actual intelligence to be halfway successful if you have all of that together and are a straight white male who gives no fucks about consequences or repercussions. Our whole society is basically designed to cater to that at present.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Slightly aged Alex Jones shenanigans:

https://twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/1506705747513683972

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
he's definitely going to have a fun time financially but he is still ultimately an affluent white guy who will never suffer even the slightest meaningful consequence in our legal system for the harm his rhetoric inflicted on a country of 330 million people

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/erinbiba/status/1516223337957109761?s=20&t=WWj6KwQ2b7jKygi_kEy5kw

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
(every) seasonal

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s seasonal, the season runs from September to August.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://biobot.io/data/

No reason to be concerned about that recent uptick in wastewater concentration, after all it's not the right season for Covid :v:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

https://biobot.io/data/

No reason to be concerned about that recent uptick in wastewater concentration, after all it's not the right season for Covid :v:

This is really interesting. I would like to see more data points though. My state only has two counties reporting, one is a "destination" and the other is a suburb of a different city.

The "destination" city just finished multiple large scale events that would be considered superspreader events. That county is also considered "fully vaccinated" and just reported (yesterday) that there were 0 covid cases in the hospital and 0 new reported cases.

So the question is, what is the lag time on these results? Are we seeing the uptick from unvaccinated visitors? Is the uptick from the locals, but since they are mostly vaxxed no one is noticing the symptoms and not testing? Could these graphs be what things will look like going into the future?

I would love it if these tests were also able to verify how many people were vaxxed based on sewage data, that would be an interesting overlay on some of these graphs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just saw on the news a judge struck down plane and train mask mandates?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

A Federalist judge.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yes, yesterday afternoon. Last night before I went to bed, TSA and our local airport both said they will not enforce after some back and forth.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yes, a Florida federal judge the American bar association advised was unfit for the bench ruled the CDC transit mask mandate unconstitutional.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I was literally on a flight when the pilots announced it and there was a lot of cheering and mask removal. :/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BUG JUG posted:

I was literally on a flight when the pilots announced it and there was a lot of cheering and mask removal. :/

Yeah I'm avoiding airlines like the plague.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soylent Pudding posted:

The CDC extended the mask mandate another two weeks because of the aforementioned potential pre-summer surge. The north just had loving snow (the April showers are now made of snow), so scientists are wondering if COVID will indeed turn seasonal like last year's indication, or not.

Then in comes a young, dumb federalist society judge that Republicans shoved through the lame duck, in a case she's had since July. There is zero chance that she will be overturned on appeal because that appeals court is about as federalist as the branch covering Texas. There is also zero chance that the Supreme Court will intervene because Congress is flatly not doing their job to clear up any of the legally shaky ground that the CDC and other federal agencies are using on this stuff. The Biden folks think that the political winds are shifting towards an anti-mandate stance, especially among types that travel.

So basically, wear your N/KN95s when indoors in public, probably all you're going to get in terms of protection from randos.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Thwomp posted:

Yes, a Florida federal judge the American bar association advised was unfit for the bench ruled the CDC transit mask mandate unconstitutional.

facialimpediment posted:

s a young, dumb federalist society judge that Republicans shoved through the lame duck, in a case she's had since July. There is zero chance that she will be overturned on appeal because that appeals court is about as federalist as the branch covering Texas.
The term you're looking for is Chudge.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

ASAPI posted:

This is really interesting. I would like to see more data points though. My state only has two counties reporting, one is a "destination" and the other is a suburb of a different city.

The "destination" city just finished multiple large scale events that would be considered superspreader events. That county is also considered "fully vaccinated" and just reported (yesterday) that there were 0 covid cases in the hospital and 0 new reported cases.

So the question is, what is the lag time on these results? Are we seeing the uptick from unvaccinated visitors? Is the uptick from the locals, but since they are mostly vaxxed no one is noticing the symptoms and not testing? Could these graphs be what things will look like going into the future?

I would love it if these tests were also able to verify how many people were vaxxed based on sewage data, that would be an interesting overlay on some of these graphs.

Lag time between covid spikes in wastewater and people presenting symptoms looks like 4 days to a week, going by whatever papers google pulled up when I searched. AFAIK wastewater concentrations have been a reliable early indicator of case spikes.

I don't think there's any way you could distinguish vaccination rates from sewage since it's just reporting how many copies of covid are present per unit volume. You could probably infer it by comparison with other areas, but then you'd have to know their true vaccination rate instead, and would be vulnerable to local confounding factors like hosting industries that produce lots of wastewater or poor separation of sewage and storm runoff.

e: gently caress flying ever again if they successfully kill the mask mandate. I just flew across the country and the number of people drinking a cup of coffee for hours to avoid wearing a mask was already horrifying.

pygmy tyrant fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 19, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
There were $500 million specifically for wastewater surveillance in COVID funding bills.

Around 10% of that has been spent.

It would help fill the gaps in testing that have been created by at home tests.

Who cares lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BUG JUG posted:

People are over it and have been for quite a while. Trying to enforce mask mandates is a losing battle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If the death cultists want to kill themselves because a mask is such a burden to them, fine. Just means fewer of their voters at the next election (and more people voting for their dead parents/spouses/siblings to laugh at later during republican led voter fraud investigations).

I'm still going to wear mine. People back away when my smokers cough comes out anyhow. This is the time my mental health disorders have been preparing me for, lol.

Shame about all the immunocompromised people who are gonna die, but Brandon just doesn't want to wear a mask. Or get a shot.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

fknlo posted:

People are over it and have been for quite a while. Trying to enforce mask mandates is a losing battle.

It is this. I fly last year. The whole, "wear your mask unless you are actively eating/drinking while on the plane" was the dumbest mitigation I have ever seen. The same goes with unmasking at a restaurant when you sit at the table.

Once we started making exceptions on when the mask can be removed the whole thing fell apart. It's safe to take my mask off while on a sealed tube with recirculated air, full of people, because I have a magical bottle of water or a bag of peanuts?

With 80% of the plane effectively unmasked throughout the flight, how much good was it going to do?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Get your shots. That's just about all you can do these days.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

It is this. I fly last year. The whole, "wear your mask unless you are actively eating/drinking while on the plane" was the dumbest mitigation I have ever seen. The same goes with unmasking at a restaurant when you sit at the table.

Once we started making exceptions on when the mask can be removed the whole thing fell apart. It's safe to take my mask off while on a sealed tube with recirculated air, full of people, because I have a magical bottle of water or a bag of peanuts?

When I worked the pre-vaccine 2020 election, I was loving horrified that people were actively drinking coffee and eating. I'm a bit less concerned about that nowadays as the "dose" of COVID you might get from the eater/drinker is still dramatically cut down, just isn't zero. And supposedly the air in a plane is refreshed at a pretty decent rate roughly every three minutes, not just plainly recirculated.

And nowadays, I don't need to repurpose an old valved N95 I had in the garage and shove a cloth mask over the front to stop *me* from potentially barfing COVID everywhere :v:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

Get your shots. That's just about all you can do these days.

The N-95s are still pretty drat effective and I might just wear one any time I fly for the rest of my life because not getting sick after a long flight is p cool.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

The N-95s are still pretty drat effective and I might just wear one any time I fly for the rest of my life because not getting sick after a long flight is p cool.

Other than a few seasonal allergy related issues I’ve been remarkably healthy since I started masking up.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Main thing I learned from working in an infectious disease unit is that PPE works, you should wash your hands constantly and especially before eating or touching yourself and wipe your keyboard/phone down. The moment you touch anything you’re not sure has been sanitized you need to be cognizant of everything you’re touching until your hands are cleaned again. Don’t ever eat or drink on a surface you haven’t just cleaned with hands you just washed. It’s not about 100% avoiding all COVID microbes but just about reducing the amount your exposed to a level that doesn’t reach sufficient viral load.

E: Like in a hospital or crowded setting like an airplane. Doing this at home or a normal not crowded restaurant is just called OCD.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 19, 2022

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I broke my rule of masking while playing 40k at larger events the other week and that was the first time I’ve got the convention cold since COVID started.

Never again. Forget COVID, I just don’t want to be cruddy after a convention or a flight

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m going to keep masking in public transit until the day I die, thank you very much.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

boop the snoot posted:

Other than a few seasonal allergy related issues I’ve been remarkably healthy since I started masking up.

I teach, and I made it through every wave of sickness in my school without catching anything.

Unfortunately for me, the weak link is my 3 year old. Daycares are loving petri dishes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Make sure your small children eat a (figurative) pound of dirt and worms a year so they develop an immune system. Save the hospital sanitization for people over 25 when your past the prime of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

I’m going to keep masking in public transit until the day I die, thank you very much.

They're going to make it illegal lol