Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well this sure is something. You can't make this stuff up.

https://apple.news/A_3F83EVOSBK3VBESvN9VMg

quote:

“New NIL rules have allowed Kansas to be the first college basketball team to make money off its national title run”

this is like a marijuana grower getting hired by a LA startup company while simultaneously facing charges for growing weed before he was allowed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lol of course we lost to Tennessee Tech

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech lost their non-conference mid-week game against Oklahoma. I feel like we have 2 pitchers right now and an OK bullpen and streaky hitting. That's a good recipe for winning the conference and winning the super series, but not great for the regionals or CWS format.

Still fairly early in the season, and Tadlock's teams do peak in June more often than not.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol of course we lost to Tennessee Tech

Wooden bats took the sting out of Tennessee's offense?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
you guys know this is the basketball thread, right

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

I lay the blame entirely at Joey Freshwater's feet.

e: Although, college baseball is the best form of baseball, and more people should watch it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Probably Magic posted:

Tennessee baseball is so good rn it can't be contained

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

I lay the blame entirely at Joey Freshwater's feet.

e: Although, college baseball is the best form of baseball, and more people should watch it.

college softball is cooler than college baseball.

Anyway, Northwestern superstar Veronica Burton went #7 overall in the WNBA draft, that's pretty rad.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

R.D. Mangles posted:

college softball is cooler than college baseball.

Anyway, Northwestern superstar Veronica Burton went #7 overall in the WNBA draft, that's pretty rad.

Rad indeed.

TTU's top player got a UDFA contract with the Phoenix team, which good for her.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Bacot's coming back to UNC. Opposing teams better not miss because they aren't getting a 2nd shot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/Wille_Berg/status/1514266246677766147?t=P_6nXxI__LtsmPrZPQbKrw&s=19

No country is too far for Matt Painter to find giant children

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah that’s my bad

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like an rear end in a top hat now, I just didn't want you guys posting in the wrong thread and people missing your posts or anything.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat now, I just didn't want you guys posting in the wrong thread and people missing your posts or anything.

It's all good dude.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Pretty sure people say gently caress Duke baseball too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sitting here wrapping my head around the idea that UNC and Duke aren't going to be the same.

It's wide open folks

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou making a splash this offseason, signing Dickey Nutt (Houston's brother) as an assistant

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dickey Nutt

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Gradey Dick

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I love learning facts about Houston Nutt

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gradey Dick is the reason I don't mind at all that Christian Braun is probably gone. Dick is like the same guy but a way better shooter.

he uh might not have the killer attitude of Braun though

IT'S OVER BITCH

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm a few days late on this, but Tyrese Hunter is entering the transfer portal, and it looks like the main factor is trying to get more NIL money. Not a knock on Hunter, but this poo poo sucks, and has always been a concern of mine with the future of ISU athletics. ISU's athletic budget has always been on the low end of the Big 12 and P5 teams. Having to compete with bigger/better funded schools for NIL money too is going to be hard for us to do. We just don't have that many big money boosters.

My prediction for the future of ISU basketball is they're going to have to settle for incoming freshman who haven't made a name for themselves, and transfers looking for a second chance. As soon as someone gets too good, they'll bounce to a school for a pay day. Maybe ISU can pull some money together, but I think it's going to be tough to compete pretty soon.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

kiimo posted:

Gradey Dick is the reason I don't mind at all that Christian Braun is probably gone. Dick is like the same guy but a way better shooter.

he uh might not have the killer attitude of Braun though

IT'S OVER BITCH

The Braun family seem like annoying and entitled assholes, based on how much his mom yelled about Parker getting more PT at Mizzou when he definitely was not good enough to crack that already bad lineup

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm a few days late on this, but Tyrese Hunter is entering the transfer portal, and it looks like the main factor is trying to get more NIL money. Not a knock on Hunter, but this poo poo sucks, and has always been a concern of mine with the future of ISU athletics. ISU's athletic budget has always been on the low end of the Big 12 and P5 teams. Having to compete with bigger/better funded schools for NIL money too is going to be hard for us to do. We just don't have that many big money boosters.

My prediction for the future of ISU basketball is they're going to have to settle for incoming freshman who haven't made a name for themselves, and transfers looking for a second chance. As soon as someone gets too good, they'll bounce to a school for a pay day. Maybe ISU can pull some money together, but I think it's going to be tough to compete pretty soon.

I think things will chill out as these rich folk run out of cash to burn. First few years, the checks are going to be huge. After that not as much.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

kayakyakr posted:

I think things will chill out as these rich folk run out of cash to burn. First few years, the checks are going to be huge. After that not as much.

I don't think so. I think the blue bloods are gonna get bluer, and everyone else will be less competitive.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OPAONI posted:

I don't think so. I think the blue bloods are gonna get bluer, and everyone else will be less competitive.

I actually don't agree with you. I think hometown heroes are actually more likely to stay at their hometown school than be lost in the shuffle at a blue blood.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Former 5* C Efton Reid and former 4* wing John Camden OVing to VT this weekend, along with high 4* high school recruit Tyrell Ward from DeMatha. Reid and Camden transferring from LSU and Memphis respectively. Huge recruiting weekend in Blacksburg, fingers crossed.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Former 5* C Efton Reid and former 4* wing John Camden OVing to VT this weekend, along with high 4* high school recruit Tyrell Ward from DeMatha. Reid and Camden transferring from LSU and Memphis respectively. Huge recruiting weekend in Blacksburg, fingers crossed.

LSU and Memphis? How open is the check book at VT?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Regnevelc posted:

LSU and Memphis? How open is the check book at VT?

Apparently Camden is only really considering us and LSU, visited LSU already, and we were #2 for him out of high school to begin with. Not too worried about him. Reid doesn't have any other OVs scheduled yet, we'll see.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Minneapolis is going to host the 2023 & 24 women's tournaments, and the 2024 men's at the Target Center. At least it will be better than the year they went to DC.

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1516818346238427145

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Oscar Tshiebwe announces he is returning to Kentucky. First NPOY to return since Hansbrough is 08, who lead UNC to a title in 09. I'm excited.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Isn't something happening with Kofi and Illinois today

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kiimo posted:

Isn't something happening with Kofi and Illinois today

he went pro

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jay Wright retired.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

My sister is in tears - she and everyone else at Villanova revered the man. Loss for college basketball.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Wow, he's only 60.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jay Wright retired.

I only saw that he was "seriously contemplating" retirement. Guess it's official

Wonder if Nova will just promote an assistant or try for an external guy

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Can see how it might be nice to just do TV instead and hang around green rooms rather than the family homes of high schoolers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

They are reportedly hiring a person named "Kyle Neptune"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

They are reportedly hiring a person named "Kyle Neptune"

Sounds like a character on The Jetsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jay Wright retired.

This reminds me of my personal favorite flightaware coaching search tale that lasted for about 8 hours. When Mizzou fired Frank Haith there were no leaks about the coaching search for the first time in forever from a notoriously leaky university as to coaching searches and conference changes and everything else.

Speculation was all over the place, they were being cheap or they were willing to throw all the money in the world at whoever, etc. I'm sure if we went back far enough in the CBB threads you'd see me mentioning weird names like Ben Howland or something regarding this search.

Some sports talk radio guys noticed a private flight from Columbia, MO to Philly which obviously meant Mizzou was going after Jay Wright. Now this was crazy at the time, but not as completely insane as you'd think today if they were willing spend a whole lot. Wright had previous success but around 2014 he's also had a bunch of first round exits from the tourney in the last few years. It was never happening but if you squinted hard enough (like really damned hard) you could believe it might. So anyway these radio guys start talking about this and won't shut up, other press picks it up and starts making calls and trying to figure things out. This all happens very quickly. So when the jet comes back there's a whole press gaggle outside at the airport waiting to see Jay Wright walk off of that plane.

Four very confused wealthy farmers walked off wondering why everyone was covering their annual golf trip.

Fun story. Missouri would go on to hire Kim Anderson and the program died, which is less fun for me, but still, that's pretty good.