Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

The N-95s are still pretty drat effective and I might just wear one any time I fly for the rest of my life because not getting sick after a long flight is p cool.

Yep. Since wearing N95s most public places my illnesses have been limited to a food born illness I caught in Iraq, and I managed to catch Flu B, which I thought was covid, but PCR neg for Covid and positive test for flu.

Compared to getting colds or strep once a year or so, I am likely converted to any enclosed public transit in mask for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're going to make it illegal lol

At some point, yeah, probably. It's going to be a "security concern" somewhere down the line because cameras can't 100% identify someone with a mask on.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Naramyth posted:

I broke my rule of masking while playing 40k at larger events the other week and that was the first time I’ve got the convention cold since COVID started.

Never again. Forget COVID, I just don’t want to be cruddy after a convention or a flight

Which army are you running?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Yep. Since wearing N95s most public places my illnesses have been limited to a food born illness I caught in Iraq, and I managed to catch Flu B, which I thought was covid, but PCR neg for Covid and positive test for flu.

Compared to getting colds or strep once a year or so, I am likely converted to any enclosed public transit in mask for life.

And conversely when my kids school district lifted its mask mandate…everyone started getting all those wonderful colds and viruses that kids love to spread around school.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
It's just so deflating--depressing, even--to know that the very same I DO MY OWN RESEARCH morons will immediately flip the switch to MUH FREEDUMS when asked if they got as many colds or flus when BIG GUBMINT made them mask up in public. I mean, it's the very definition of doing your own research to pay attention when situations change to see if they might benefit you personally.

I'm getting flashbacks to the start of mask mandates when people were completely flipping their poo poo about being forced to care about strangers after jealously cultivating thick suits of gently caress you got mine armor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

It is this. I fly last year. The whole, "wear your mask unless you are actively eating/drinking while on the plane" was the dumbest mitigation I have ever seen. The same goes with unmasking at a restaurant when you sit at the table.

Once we started making exceptions on when the mask can be removed the whole thing fell apart. It's safe to take my mask off while on a sealed tube with recirculated air, full of people, because I have a magical bottle of water or a bag of peanuts?

With 80% of the plane effectively unmasked throughout the flight, how much good was it going to do?

Last time I was on a flight people just got a drink and kept their mask off the whole time. The flight attendants had no issue with this.

It was always a joke. Wear a decent mask and protect yourself, and quarantine from at risk family after traveling by air.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The problem with people who do their own research is that as expertise increases, confidence usually drops. And these people never get to those levels, because they don’t allow their confidence to drop.

And because the actual experts don’t make black or white statements, they discredit anything those experts say.

As an exemple, I’m an expert in my professional field. When my boss comes to me with an issue, my answer is usually something like “maybe, in all likelihood A, possibly B if some factors are considered.”

Boss, being an MBA with no subject matter knowledge, just assumes whatever he thinks is right.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're going to make it illegal lol

Yup. January 2025 at the latest nationally. Possibly sooner depending on how big the midterm swing is. I'm surprised that the redder states haven't already done it.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I must be a goddamned genius, then, because I know for a fact that I don't know poo poo about poo poo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's been on the books in SC for over 70 years already, we just need the selective enforcement to pick up.

quote:

SECTION 16-7-110. Wearing masks and the like.

No person over sixteen years of age shall appear or enter upon any lane, walk, alley, street, road, public way or highway of this State or upon the public property of the State or of any municipality or county in this State while wearing a mask or other device which conceals his identity. Nor shall any such person demand entrance or admission to or enter upon the premises or into the enclosure or house of any other person while wearing a mask or device which conceals his identity. Nor shall any such person, while wearing a mask or device which conceals his identity, participate in any meeting or demonstration upon the private property of another unless he shall have first obtained the written permission of the owner and the occupant of such property.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-114; 1952 Code Section 16-114; 1951 (47) 132.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
TSA still makes you take off your shoes, but a plague is just a passe thing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

TSA still makes you take off your shoes, but a plague is just a passe thing.

Remember post-9/11 when air marshals had to wear suits and were screened and boarded separately? That always seemed like the dullest job possible.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Sexual Lorax posted:

I must be a goddamned genius, then, because I know for a fact that I don't know poo poo about poo poo.

Modern day Socrates right here.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Planetary science decadal review just dropped, NASAs flagship projects for the 2020s will be

1: Mars Sample Return
2: Uranus Orbiter
3: Enceladus Lander

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

2: Uranus Orbiter

They want to orbit my what?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Which army are you running?

Uh, Custodes on Saturday, Craftworlds on Sunday but after the Armor of Contempt change I’m pivoting back to Grey Knights.

Current event: naramyth owns too many armies

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I can afford a car, I can afford a house, but I sure as gently caress can't afford games workshop.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
GW is expensive but it doesn’t hold a candle to guns

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Guns aren't so bad. Ammo, though. Oof.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Are people just hoarding it?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I'm avoiding airlines like the plague.

Turns out that is not a phrase that has any meaning.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Are people just hoarding it?

Yes, but the same could be said for guns too. The majority of households don’t own a firearm, with 10% of private citizens owning like 85% of firearms. You can guess the type that horde firearms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Turns out that is not a phrase that has any meaning.

Used to mean something, though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

You can guess the type that horde firearms.

Posters.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The ammo companies have figured out that they can keep production steady and fleece buyers every time a Dem gets elected too, rather than increasing production to meet demand, Winchester's profits quintupled to $120M last quarter, for example.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Elviscat posted:

The ammo companies have figured out that they can keep production steady and fleece buyers every time a Dem gets elected too, rather than increasing production to meet demand, Winchester's profits quintupled to $120M last quarter, for example.

It's mostly this.

Getting into firearms a few years ago really opened my eyes to just how volatile guns and ammo markets are and 100% of it is driven by paranoia and herd behavior. It's amazingly easy to see coming. Really getting into grifting your average right winger has to be one of the lowest effort / highest reward things there is to do.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

Posters.

Posers

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's funny, I'll throw down down quarters at the barcade to get my rear end kicked at street fighter with friends, but cringe hard when I know every pull of the trigger is a quarter (or a lot more) up in smoke.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arrath posted:

It's funny, I'll throw down down quarters at the barcade to get my rear end kicked at street fighter with friends, but cringe hard when I know every pull of the trigger is a quarter (or a lot more) up in smoke.

Bought a Tippmann M4-22 Elite and P322 simply so I can keep shooting and only have it cost me 8-12cpr instead of 30-50 for 9mm and .223/5.56. I'm glad I found/bought some "cheap" low-velocity 00 buck and slug for 12GA range shooting because woof.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That Works posted:

It's mostly this.

Getting into firearms a few years ago really opened my eyes to just how volatile guns and ammo markets are and 100% of it is driven by paranoia and herd behavior. It's amazingly easy to see coming. Really getting into grifting your average right winger has to be one of the lowest effort / highest reward things there is to do.

Yeah its been fun getting back into firearms because its practically a scam market at this point: Markups on ammo and firearms is crazy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Current event: my John Brown t-shirt arrived: https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/7058512-born-to-raid-john-brown

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A.o.D. posted:

I can afford a car, I can afford a house, but I sure as gently caress can't afford games workshop.

Come join us in the 3d printing thread. Decent resin printer set up is a few hundred to start, then you can print entire armies for less than a fancy dinner.

Edit: Tyranids only want you for your body.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well atleast someone does I was worried I was hopeless

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
half the times i see some dipshit complaining about prices because they live on a fixed income its some guy who has 9000 guns and hits the range every weekend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

half the times i see some dipshit complaining about prices because they live on a fixed income its some guy who has 9000 guns and hits the range every weekend.

there is more than one privately owned gun per person in this nation yet only 1/3rd of the county owns a gun. People either own no guns, one or two guns, or 1000.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bought a Tippmann M4-22 Elite and P322 simply so I can keep shooting and only have it cost me 8-12cpr instead of 30-50 for 9mm and .223/5.56. I'm glad I found/bought some "cheap" low-velocity 00 buck and slug for 12GA range shooting because woof.

Nowadays I basically only shoot my .22. I might as well just sell my stock of .223 when the getting is good

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Part of it is though that that pretty much every gun made in the last 60-80 years is still a viable firearm. Guns hold their value better than most other tangible assets people can buy, so it's pretty common for people who already own a couple guns to also have family hunting rifles and shotguns going back a few genreations in a closet somewhere. Guns retain or increase in value well compared to most other tangible assets so people don't often get rid of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Come join us in the 3d printing thread. Decent resin printer set up is a few hundred to start, then you can print entire armies for less than a fancy dinner.

Yeah 3D printing is the one tool I will never give up at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They can be a real pain in the rear end to maintain but a 3D printer should be considered a must have for homeowners imo

I mainly just print functional stuff but I’ve been able to repair plastic bits that are sometimes impossible to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
My (AR owning) friends, have you heard of the Mantis Blackbeard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5tUSu6nJB0

It's a way to get some trigger time without using ammo. It doesn't use your bolt carrier group and it's electric so no Co2 like some other systems. It even resets the trigger. A friend of mine got it and he likes it, I want to get one later this year.

bird food bathtub posted:

I am so glad this became a thing. I have an FDM 3D printer but SLA would be so much nicer for minis. How is the smell? Isn't it toxic? That was my main concern.