Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

QueenAnnesDead posted:

Am *I* the rear end in a top hat for being kind of horror-delighted at these wives?! (very much plus their husbands) I want to be a fly on the wall in their gaming-with-a-woman fights! I want a script for their Dominance Conversations! I want to know in what insane and hilarious tone they say "HE IS MARRIED, TO ME". And I also don't want these things because the cringe is lethal.

You pretty much stated my reasons for reading this thread so you're not the only rear end in a top hat. Imagining insane meltdowns without the consequences is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

kimbo305 posted:

I get that it’s process of elimination, but why would the kid send it down the drain if he wanted to pawn it later? Did he really want to deal with picking through the P trap?

If I'm reading it right, the kid knew he was rumbled and so hid it in a place he was sure would never be found, hopefully exonerating him. Yes, it's a dumb place, but it takes a dumb kid to steal jewellery from the house he lives in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Willow posted:

Anyway, I hate this guy and y'all can also hate him.

AITA for wanting my unemployed girlfriend to do more chores?

I mean she still cooks and cleans every day but she still expects me to wash the dishes and she won’t pick up my clothes after I have returned from work. The other day I left a bunch of my mail on the table and when I returned it was left unopened, I asked her why she didn’t look through it and she told me she’s not my secretary.

Goddamn, gently caress this guy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITA for embarrasaing my fiancè and taking my heels off at our engagement party?

quote:

My fiance (m31) and I (f26) got engaged several days ago. This is relevant, he's tall and I'm in the 5's category, pretty small compared to him and his family. He asked that I wear high heels at our engagement party since there was going to be photos. Although I wasn't comfortable (not a fan either) with high heels, I decided to wear them just for his sake since he begged and pleaded. and also since he promised I would be sitting most of the time. But at the party he had me stand for hours to welcome the guests (there were like 20 guests) with him. I got so tired of standing and my feet and legs were on fire. I asked if I could sit but his mom said I'm the fiancee and should stand next to my partner not just sit like the party had nothing to do with me.

I told my fiance again that I was in so much pain but he said "suck it up, it's almost over". I had enough of it, I took my heels off and let my feet and legs cool off. He and his mom looked at me in utter confusion. Several of his family and guests saw me barefoot as well. He freaked out asking what I was doing. his mom asked that I put my heels on but I said my feet were done and I couldn't do it anymore. my fiance begged me but I stood there til it was over like he wanted. The minute I got in the car he flipped out.. saying I embarrassed him infront of family and friends by standing there barefoot and refusing to put my heels back on even after his mom repeatedly asked. I reminded him that he said I wouldn't be standing but turns out it wasn't true. He argued that for someone with a height like mine, then I should wear high heels more often, and said should've sucked it up for his sake. he went upstairs and turned his phone off and refused to speak to me.

I had no intentions of embarrassing him and I do feel I should've sucked it up. but I think that he wasn't truthful about how long I was expected to stand. Aita?

ETA he doesn't usually care if I wear high heels, and said I should start considering wearing them from now on out because most women wear heels at big occasions like weddings and engagement parties.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AITA for making my daughter choose between her family and a trip to Spain?

quote:

My (37M) daughter (16F) who I'll call Honey has been taking a Spanish class for the past 2 years. This class takes a trip to Spain every few years and Honey has been working hard in class and at work so she can go on this trip. Honey started to work for the trip at 14 by saving up any holiday money she got. She then got a full-time job and a part-time job at 15.

Honey has been super excited about the trip, but by the time the trip came around I told her she couldn't go, because it was announced that her sister's (8F) mother (My ex-wife and Honey's ex-step-mom) had cancer.

Honey asked what this had to do with her, and so I told her she needed to be here for her sister and for my ex-wife. Honey got mad pretty quick, bringing up how my ex-wife used to abuse her and how it was unfair to keep her from a trip she's been working hard for. I told Honey that she still had to be there since this involves her sister and my ex-wifes family who still considers her family.

We ended up fighting so Honey went to her mom's and refuses to talk to me, but calls everyday to check in on her sister. Thinking about it now Honey could've gone on the trip and just have called her sister from Spain, but I still think it's best she's here in person.

AITA?

Future estranged dad of the year over here.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

therobit posted:

AITA for embarrasaing my fiancè and taking my heels off at our engagement party?

Lock this guy and his family down immediately, can't let such a catch get away!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

From r/AskAChristian

Asking money over the internet

quote:

Hi all,

I was just curious what would you do in this situation.

We know we live in an era in which scam and catfishing is all over the network, I had people reach out to me vía instagram and facebook asking for money, but today I received a request from a profile that seems to be from a believer, as soon as I accepted the request he started asking for money, saying that he is from another country and need to buy food for his family, I feel like helping him out, however I don't know if it's scam, the profile barely has pictures on it and no people appear on those posted there,

What would you guys do here? Do you feel is a scam? The guy told me he is from Africa

Please help me out on this, may God bless you all 🙏

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

therobit posted:

From r/AskAChristian

Sounds legit, send him your bank details.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

therobit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mAO6iNAml4

"...I got this e-mail / from a Nigerian prince!"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My son found out and is rejecting us.

quote:

Our son(23M) was returning one of our bags we left at his house a week ago. He decided to return it late at night last Saturday. Our "party" ended and we had people leaving. Apparently, when he reached out front door we had couples leaving and talking about the party. My wife opened the door in shock. He threw the bag on the floor "Here's your stuff, sorry if I interrupted your orgy." My wife, as usual started blowing up his phone. My wife had the phone on speaker. He picked up the fourth time and "Mom we can talk about this on Friday at my place but I want to be left alone for this week.

Friday came and we were sitting at his place. He let out a lot of his frustrations. He said "You guys were basically gone every other weekend when I was 16 years old. Was the only time you guys were at home was because you didn't have any gently caress buddies to suck and gently caress?" I told him to watch the way he spoke to us and that we did still spent time on the days we didn't go nor we gone for the whole weekend. He responds "Yeah name one time you guys did anything with me on an individual basis? You guys were attached to the hip basically. I was actually jealous of your relationship. How hosed up is that! I used to think it's nice and all how much you love each other but couldn't show me the same amount of love and attention. I used to get sick seeing you snuggle with each other like teenagers whenever we used to watch a movie together. You used to tease me about it but you had no idea how I felt inside." I responded with telling him that a romantic relationship and a parent child relationship are completely different. He gets pissed off and said" Don't insult my intelligence. I know that. It's still doesn't change you guys cared more about each other. I've seen how girlfriend's parents love on her. I used to get jealous. By the way, mom, yes my girlfriend isn't a big fan of yours. She doesn't respect you as my parents. The reason I didn't share how I felt when I was at home because it felt humiliating."

My wife starts bawling in tears and starts begging for forgiveness while reaching out for a hug. He rebukes and calls her a whore. I started seeing red and I was up in his face telling him to watch his mouth. He then responds with saying "What are you going to do man-whore. I shouldn't be calling you a man. Get the gently caress out of my house before I lose control."

My wife has called out for going to work tomorrow. She hasn't left the bed. I've been crying all night. My son hates my guts and I don't know what to do.

UPDATE

quote:

I feel really numb right now. At this point I'm writing for cathartic reasons. It's been four hours ago my son invited us to talk to him. I asked him to give us a couple of few days but my wife was persistent to say the least. Before we got in the car, we both agreed to listen to him say his piece first.

When we entered, he still seamed energetic. He asked us for water or anything. We said no and we sat down in the living room.

He said a lot for me to quote. I'll just give a summary:

He first apologized for the name-calling. He said he deeply regrets calling us that and wishes he could take that back. He says he isn't inherently against us being swingers, even though that's something he personally doesn't have an interest in himself. He feels though it was that our swinging took precedence over spending time with him. He understood that we couldn't have our world revolve around him. He understood we needed time as a couple to keep our marriage strong. However, according to him we checked out of the relationship we had with him at around 15. In his we seemed much more happy coming back from our weekend getaways and our anniversary vacation than with the family trips. The fact that we did more couples trips than family trips didn't help at all. We were practically gone every other Saturday. To him it seemed we were so happy and wrapped around each other that he sort of felt like an intruder at home. Out of fear of intruding, he never confronted us on how he felt inside. He said he felt like an accessory to our marriage, rather than a person we wanted a strong individual relationship with. It seemed like parenting was a daily chore for us. In order to deal with this he asked us for one-on-one time with either of us so he could he feel like he could get our undivided attention for once. However, we rarely could have because of how many swinger activities we booked. We would tell him to do stuff with his friends instead. He figured out that we were swingers when he asked to borrow the laptop when he was 17 and we had one tab open. He sort of gave up on wanting a relationship with us at that point. He told me he primarily dormed not only for social life but he needed to get out of the house. He outright told us that we don't know him as an individual. To us, he's a quite introverted kid who doesn't say a lot around us. However, he much more talkative with everyone else around. The thing that shocked us was that he pretended to be happy when we call or came to visit so that he didn't hurt our feelings. He says his love for us comes out of gratitude, not because he likes being around us or because he feels close to us. He mentioned that he talks to his girlfriend's parents significantly more than us.

The main reason that he blew up at us, was that we came uninvited to his place. He hated the fact that he had to pretend to actually interact with us as if we had that kind of relationship. He initially wanted to make an excuse that he had to go somewhere but he's made that excuse multiple times whenever we invited him or asked if he could come over. So, he had to bite the bullet. After four hours, we finally left. He was angry and annoyed at the same time. He finally say we left the bag at his place. Not wanting an excuse to come to his place again, he dropped the bag at night. He sort of figured it out we had one of our parties ending and it triggered him.

He said what we wants from us now:

-Unless it's for certain occasion, don't ask him to call or visit anymore.

-He no longer will initiate anything from his side

-He wants us to call him if there's an emergency or if we need possible financial help because he feels he owes us at least that much.

-Respect the fact that his girlfriend's parents will take precedence over us from now on. Meaning if they ever have kids, they would be the primary grandparents. He will deal with taking care of them when they get old before he looks at us.

-Don't ask for more or expect more out of our relationship. He doesn't want a mother-son dance at his wedding. He doesn't want me giving a speech at his wedding.

My wife couldn't handled it and asked us to leave. She was silent the entire time we drove home.

I want to believe...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

I want to believe...

LOL get rekt, creepy swingers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

I want to believe...

Eh this one is pretty complicated tbh

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

I want to believe...

Kind of seems like being a swinger is irrelevant to them being crappy parents. Like, replace it with sailing or camping and they still seem like totally checked out parents.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

MarcusSA posted:

Eh this one is pretty complicated tbh
Not really. They couldn't stop swinging long enough to actually spend time with their kid, their kid now no longer wants to interact with them. Reaping, sowing, and all that.

E: and yeah, it could have been anything else, it doesn't matter. They spent more time doing their thing than they did being parents, and now it's too late.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 20, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is it me or is there something really obnoxious about "acting out" as a term? It's so dismissive.

It is a dismissive term and thats why I use it all the time, since its a good term for when someones throwing a tantrum for attention (half the stories in this thread).

For an actual kid though yeah maybe something more sensitive.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 20, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

I get that it’s process of elimination, but why would the kid send it down the drain if he wanted to pawn it later? Did he really want to deal with picking through the P trap?

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood the point of confusion.

I dunno, maybe the same reason people suggested it? Is that a common place for like a meth addict to hide stuff they've stolen from people in their house? It is a weird place for apparently multiple people to suggest looking.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kurieg posted:

You literally told your daughter that becoming pregnant would be the worst thing she could do, and then got mad that she didn't tell you she was pregnant.

Power move would have been to immediately say "guess I'm getting an abortion then" and going no contact for 9 months.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teen witch posted:

Kind of seems like being a swinger is irrelevant to them being crappy parents. Like, replace it with sailing or camping and they still seem like totally checked out parents.

There's the bit where he mentions... the consistent theme of borrowing their computer and they had a particular tab open. Seems familiar and unfortunately not unlikely, even considering all the creative writing exercises. Let's just say even if this story isn't real, there's truth to it. Or the other way around, I forget. (A commenter does say apparently this poo poo is rampant among swingers)

There really seems to be a theme of lovely parents, and future estranged ones, who just check out after a point when their kid is no longer cute and helpless, thinking their job is done or just losing interest in them. It may be neglect or full on emotional abuse, and it can happen at different stages, but it's still horribly common.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I (49M) need advice on how to tell my wife (47F) of 17 years I have been secretly ‘gardening’ behind her back for the last 6 months

quote:

I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle, and am looking for some advice on what to do here… TLDR: I need your advice on how to come clean to my wife about my secret love affair with our houseplants. I unintentionally made my wife believe she has more of a “greenthumb” than she really does by secretly gardening behind her back for the last 6 months. I never meant for it to get this far, but now my wife’s feelings and the lives of the plants I have come to care about are both at risk, and I don’t know how to approach this ridiculous mess I’ve made.

To start, I (49M) absolutely adore my wife of 17 years “Kate” (47F). I love everything about her. She’s an intelligent, caring, and beautiful woman inside and out, and an incredible wife and mother… The only thing that gal just cannot do is keep a houseplant alive. Whatever gives someone a “greenthumb”, she has the opposite! (A brown-thumb? I don’t know lol). But she literally has the Midas touch of withering death when it comes to houseplants.

No matter how many times she tries, every plant that comes into this house leaves wilted and dead soon after in a pot of either too-wet or too-dry soil. For the last 10 or so years, this has been our cycle: Kate goes to IKEA or Home Depot, decides to give the plant thing another go, and buys a few plants... We wind up with anywhere from 4 to 8 plants each cycle. And after about a month or two, they are all dead.

And each time another casualty is unceremoniously reduced to compost, my wife gets sad that she has yet to figure out how to keep them alive. I’ve always found her persistence rather endearing, and never cared if we had houseplants or not (although they do admittedly look nice before the crispy/wilty stage ours always reach). I just hate seeing her sadly admit defeat time and again. She prides herself on being incredibly capable (she is!), she just can’t seem to get the hang of plant care.

Of course, I’m being melodramatic here. It’s actually become a long-running joke in our house that someone should be held accountable for letting her purchasing living plants for the purpose of slowly murdering. But no matter how many times I offer to help her figure out how to care for the plants (I’m no expert either!), she jokingly insists that they are her “babies” and she needs to learn how to “parent” them properly. Our son (13M) is still surviving and thriving, so it seems to just be the plants she hasn’t gotten the hang of “parenting” lol. Again, I have offered for YEARS now to help her parent the plants as a team, but she always declines. I even got us one of those apps that you enter your plant info and it tells you how to care for the plant and when to water. But she will use it for a couple days and then abandon it like she has unintentionally abandoned so many plants over the years.

So here is where I think I went wrong… Part of me began to wonder if she was actually a little sadder about it than she let on, which I don’t want because I would love her even if she was a dedicated plant-serial-killer who got some sort of thrill from watching their slow demise. I never cared about the plants or whether they lived or died before, I just wanted my wife to be happy. So after her last plant-purchasing spree about 6 months ago, I got the idea to track the plants on the app myself so I could “suggest” they were looking a little over or under watered or could use more sun, things like that, and secretly help her with her plants. That worked for a time, but then she went back to her old ways of thinking the soil should always be soaking wet or putting off watering altogether, and waved away my “suggestions” (to be fair, she didn’t know I was using technology to help make the suggestions, so I wouldn’t expect her to take them too seriously since I knew even less about plants than her).

I swear, it just started with a few sneaky waterings here and there. I just wanted them to live a little longer than usual so she could enjoy them for a little longer than usual. But somewhere along the way it spiraled… I never meant for it to get this far!

Reddit, I don’t know when or why or how it happened, but I have come to adore these plants! I even “encouraged” her to pick out a few more here and there, and now we have a total of 14 plants that I secretly and lovingly care for behind my wife’s back. I started with good intentions, and I never intended to sneak around with the plants like this. But I guess they grew on me… And they’ve been thriving! My only casualty so far has been an ivy. All of my other plants are growing and I am starting to become oddly proud of them! Kate noticed the lack of dead plants this time around and was happy! She has made a few comments on how well they are doing, but I don’t think she suspects I’m the reason. She didn’t even seem to find it odd when I offered to re-pot them all one day because I was “bored and needed something to do”.

The thing is, she still TRIES to care for them her way. This is fine for when she forgets about them because it’s easy for me to water them quickly in secret. But when she over-waters them, I have to sneak them down to the basement overnight and put them by the dehumidifier to dry out the soil a bit. I also bought a small grow light I keep in the basement to use when they are down there de-sogging, and I even secretly mist the ones that need to be misted with a spray bottle I also hide down in the Little Shop of Horrors that our basement has become. My son caught me doing this a couple weeks ago, and laughed hysterically when I explained that I had to save my plants from his mother because I have become emotionally attached to them and didn’t want to hurt her feelings since I stupidly let it get this far. Now he’s been making cheeky little comments about the plants to her hoping to get me caught…

I know it has become unsustainable to continue this much longer, and I want to show her how much I have learned about plant-care and tell her how much I love caring for them! But I’m worried she might feel hurt that I was doing this behind her back, and the plants are thriving not because of her, but in spite of her. I know it might seem silly, but I have never done anything behind my wife’s back other than plan surprises, and I don’t want her to think I doubt her abilities in anything else because of this. I don’t know how to come clean because 6 months is a long time to wage a secret battle against my wife to protect these plants.

I have to travel for 2 weeks to attend a wedding in May (she is staying home with our son), meaning my wife will be left to care for the plants on her own. So I have to come clean if there is any hope for their survival. She would definitely do whatever was needed to keep them alive if she knew that I cared about them so much, but I’m just afraid to hurt her feelings at all.

Reddit, I need your advice on how to come clean to my wife about my secret love affair with our houseplants! Our son thinks the whole situation is hilarious, and that my wife will also think it’s funny that I care for the plants this much now, but he doesn’t fully understand how many plants she has killed over the years! I’m afraid my secret gardening will be seen as me undermining her abilities or something, but I was just doing what the app said to do! How do I even bring this up?! It all seems so silly now, and I just wanted to help her out a bit, but I never expected to grow a greenthumb of my own in the process!

People of Reddit, would you be upset if your partner did this to you? I just want some outside opinions and advice because I can’t tell if I’m overthinking this or if it was something I shouldn’t have done in the first place even though I just wanted her to be happy.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mx. posted:

I (49M) need advice on how to tell my wife (47F) of 17 years I have been secretly ‘gardening’ behind her back for the last 6 months

Dang that’s a good one. I’m glad I decided not to skip it after just the first paragraph. Definitely worth the read, especially that part near the middle

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I hope when he tells her he finds out she's known all along. :allears:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Foo Diddley posted:

i never knew this!

https://academic.oup.com/jcmc/article/11/4/1012/4617714

Seems to come from this article, for the specific figure.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

massive spider posted:

It is a dismissive term and thats why I use it all the time, since its a good term for when someones throwing a tantrum for attention (half the stories in this thread).

For an actual kid though yeah maybe something more sensitive.

I'm from the US but I really like the term "throwing a wobbly"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

therobit posted:

hmmmmmmmm she’s asian and they’re all white

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

therobit posted:

poo poo like this is why I specifically provided a basket of flip-flops in various sizes at both of my weddings.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s really weird that the whole family is aghast at her not wearing heels the entire time. Like the hopefully ex boyfriend is a weird controlling douche who is insecure about her height or wants to treat her like a dress up doll or whatever but what does the rest of the family care? What is going through their head? Have they not seen women take off heels at events before? Really creepy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i wonder how long her rear end in a top hat fiance would last in a pair of heels

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Foo Diddley posted:

i wonder how long her rear end in a top hat fiance would last in a pair of heels

she addresses this in the comments when someone asks and says not long lol

fortunately the comments are all like omg leave him before mods locked it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gnoman posted:

https://academic.oup.com/jcmc/article/11/4/1012/4617714

Seems to come from this article, for the specific figure.

Not if I can help it!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

teen witch posted:

its only relevant inasmuch as he had ammo for deep cutting remarks, which he even apologized for. though i doubt anyone would be able to just compartmentalize and digest their parents swinging instead of spending time with them, compared to other activities.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm from the US but I really like the term "throwing a wobbly"

"Chucking a tanty" is always a good one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Has this been posted yet? Oh boy

AITA for not talking to my MIL after she insisted my daughter not sign at the dinner table? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

submitted 2 hours ago by Thin_Crab_6642
I (29F) have a daughter (6F) from a previous relationship, her father has no contact with her and my husband of 2 years (30M) is the closed to a father she has ever known.
My daughter was born deaf and communicates via BSL. I am fluent having learned alongside her and my husband while not fluent is getting there as he wants to be able to communicate with her fully and also help teach any children we have together to communicate with their older sister.
We went to his parents for an Easter Dinner, his siblings and nieces/nephews were all there and we of course brought my daughter. All the kids were very happy to get plenty of chocolate and play together, the issue rose however during dinner as my daughter kept putting her fork and knife down to sign with me and my husband to talk, it was causing her to eat slower than everyone else and my MIL asked me to tell her to not sign at the dinner table as the food was going to get cold plus it was setting a bad example and distracting for the other kids.
I won't beat around the bush I got angry, I told my MIL that this is how my daughter communicates and i'm not going to make her not sign, i did encourage my daughter to continue eating before her dinner got cold but to not sign? no...that pisses me off and makes me think of people who have tried to make my daughter play the "Quiet hands" game....aka not sign. I told my MIL the only way she could ask that of my daughter is if she told everyone else not to talk at all.
We ended up leaving a little early and my husband while supportive of me has tried to tell me that his Mother didn't mean any real harm and she doesn't get why this would be a sensitive topic. I've refused to speak to my MIL since that dinner and won't until she apologises, my husband thinks i'm being a bit too harsh and I need to be the one to reach out with an olive branch on this matter but I can't help but feel if this had been her biological grandchild who was deaf she wouldn't have said something so insensitive or implied it was a distraction and bad example.
I don't know, maybe i'm too defensive as it's my child and i'm protective, what do you all think

Kill u are husband and MIL

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for not helping to set up a wedding I was invited to?

Lol, what an oaf.

"Hey Honey, I volunteered you to set up and clean at a wedding of a couple you hardly know! Think of all the money they'll save!"

I've been to weddings where you had to bring your own beer or chair, but I've never been Shanghaied into working at one.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s really weird that the whole family is aghast at her not wearing heels the entire time. Like the hopefully ex boyfriend is a weird controlling douche who is insecure about her height or wants to treat her like a dress up doll or whatever but what does the rest of the family care?

I think for some people heels for women, like ties for men, are a marker of success and respectable status, and by not wearing them at a social function you are showing yourself to be a scruffy subversive.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Extra Large Marge posted:

Lol, what an oaf.

"Hey Honey, I volunteered you to set up and clean at a wedding of a couple you hardly know! Think of all the money they'll save!"

I've been to weddings where you had to bring your own beer or chair, but I've never been Shanghaied into working at one.

Fixed:

"Hey Honey, I volunteered you to set up and clean at a wedding of a couple you hardly know! No, I won't be helping you. I'm part of the party that will be eating and drinking and having fun while you're doing that."

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

hmmmmmmmm she’s asian and they’re all white

I was really hoping this was more weirdos that have 'being tall' as their sole personality.

Ooops, all racism.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rescue Toaster posted:

I was really hoping this was more weirdos that have 'being tall' as their sole personality.

Ooops, all racism.

We will never again see the like of the tall people family that like doing tall people things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's a noted phenomenon where unusually tall men tend to date unusually short women, but most of them aren't controlling freaks about it. Can't put my finger on it, but I'm guessing religion also has something to do with this.

Serephina posted:

I don't begrudge people who's life goals involve raising their own offspring.
I'll do it for you.

tired gay and dead posted:

How do straight people live like this?
The bad end unhappily, the good unluckily. That is what heterosexuality means.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

I think for some people heels for women, like ties for men, are a marker of success and respectable status, and by not wearing them at a social function you are showing yourself to be a scruffy subversive.

Furthermore, it shows you are not going to subject yourself to pain and discomfort for the sake of appearances, and appearnaces are more important than anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fil5000 posted:

We will never again see the like of the tall people family that like doing tall people things.

A couple of my friends are a married couple he’s 6’4 and she’s 6’5 so either their kid is gonna be like 5 feet tall or 7