Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's making me hungry.

The celebratory 4/20 weed is probably assisting too.

Empanada time up in here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The removal of the special district status won't occur until after next legislative session, anyways, so they're giving themselves an out to change it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kesper North posted:

Yes, but Disney probably has pretty good lawyers.

I do wonder though if Disney's conservative leadership is actually kind of fine with what is currently transpiring, since it might wipe debt off the books and force Orange County to pay for things which it currently is not.

i dunno if youve been paying attention lately but the entirety of our legal system is based upon complete loving hogwash and the GOP has spent the last 4 decades filling local, state and federal judiciaries with absolute lunatics

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Welp, town to the west of me is on fire. 16 buildings according to the Denver CBS channel.

There's a big fire north of Flagstaff right now, it burned over Sunset Crater National Monument.

https://twitter.com/SC_GrandCanyon/status/1516796817660268544?t=H-qPCpInJEh2t9r6ImwlTw&s=19

brains
May 12, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/derJamesJackson/status/1516723316236693507?s=20&t=EopamiMiee4sNv5fbqBrTw

Alright, which one of you wasted a perfectly good doner kebab throwing it at a cop?

In the criminal justice system, döner based offenses are considered especially heinous...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

How did this thing stay together if it was throne at a cop?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It wasn't thrown it was donated. Donor kebab

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a big fire north of Flagstaff right now, it burned over Sunset Crater National Monument.

https://twitter.com/SC_GrandCanyon/status/1516796817660268544?t=H-qPCpInJEh2t9r6ImwlTw&s=19

That is some dank smoke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CainFortea posted:

How did this thing stay together if it was throne at a cop?

It’s a ham sandwich.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Goddamn, at least the structures survived, but that had to be a hell of a fire.

There was one up by Boulder too, but it was kept to about 25 acres. They had a cessna dropping retardant.

E: and now there's one outside Woodland Park.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 21, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

We likely will. SMRs are huge right now, and if Votgle's lessons are carried forward, we can likely speed up.

Its not that we can't do it, we can.

The technology has never been what was stopping the United States from building more civilian nuclear power.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Those are tiny reactors (Compared to their land based electrical generating brethren) and also they use highly enriched Uranium with all kinds of exotic poo poo like hafnium and others to be able to operate at various power levels as quickly and safely as possible. Regular nuke plants don’t go between 10% and 100% output on any kind of regular basis like a Sub’s reactor.

What I’m saying is, the navy PWR’s are like a Bugatti, and the commercial PWR’s are like locomotive engines.

You are absolutely correct though. If we were building the same design of nuclear power plant and making GBS threads out a few a year, we could dramatically lower the cost of the plants, and probably electricity as a whole. As it is now, each plant is its own special bespoke setup. Even if the same type of reactor is built more than once in the U.S. the plants are all unique and specific to their site.

CommieGIR posted:

We likely will. SMRs are huge right now, and if Votgle's lessons are carried forward, we can likely speed up.

Its not that we can't do it, we can.

i am slightly amused though that despite B&W (or various component parts of it that are now separate companies via some sorta complex corporate maneuvering) being involved in the aforementioned rapid reactor production program, they're also known for profoundly failing to sell their commercial SMR system to like, anyone, and are trying to jettison that part of the company like, well, nuclear waste

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Babcock & Wilcox's reactor designs have always sucked massive rear end anyways.

The AP1000 is such a great reactor design, passive cooling from 100% power to infinite grace? loving sign me up, build a million of them fuckers.

I've often lamented that there's over a dozen nuclear reactors within 20 miles of me at any given time, and none of them put electricity on the grid. 12 AP1000s could supply 1/3 of California's entire electric consumption.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i am slightly amused though that despite B&W (or various component parts of it that are now separate companies via some sorta complex corporate maneuvering) being involved in the aforementioned rapid reactor production program, they're also known for profoundly failing to sell their commercial SMR system to like, anyone, and are trying to jettison that part of the company like, well, nuclear waste

Because their SMRs are not innovating on anything. GE and others have massively innovated and are working on truly modular SMR designs.

Midjack posted:

The technology has never been what was stopping the United States from building more civilian nuclear power.

Trust me, I am aware. We're too busy pulling a Germany and screaming about our nuclear plants being dangerous while we double down on Fossil Fuel generation.

Elviscat posted:

Babcock & Wilcox's reactor designs have always sucked massive rear end anyways.

The AP1000 is such a great reactor design, passive cooling from 100% power to infinite grace? loving sign me up, build a million of them fuckers.

I've often lamented that there's over a dozen nuclear reactors within 20 miles of me at any given time, and none of them put electricity on the grid. 12 AP1000s could supply 1/3 of California's entire electric consumption.

12 AP1000s would likely exceed half of their total yearly demand, which is about ~260 TWh/yr. A single AP1000 does about 10TWhr/yr. 12 of them would be about 120 TWh/yr.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 21, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

CommieGIR posted:

Because their SMRs are not innovating on anything. GE and others have massively innovated and are working on truly modular SMR designs.

Trust me, I am aware. We're too busy pulling a Germany and screaming about our nuclear plants being dangerous while we double down on Fossil Fuel generation.

12 AP1000s would likely exceed half of their total yearly demand, which is about ~260 TWh/yr. A single AP1000 does about 10TWhr/yr. 12 of them would be about 120 TWh/yr.

How much fuel would that consume, and how long could that fuel be supplied vs proven ore reserves?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

How much fuel would that consume, and how long could that fuel be supplied vs proven ore reserves?

Depends. We can produce more fuel if we have breeders. That's practically inexhaustible with a Breeder. As it is, with just Uranium we have, we could easily do 250+ years. But we can always re-enrich and breed spent fuel and keep fueling reactors off that.

Plus sourcing Uranium from sea water, or Thorium reactors in the future.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1517144742215098368?s=20&t=28TwLoHQvWjYqic_LfcCbQ

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would have expected that to be 6-3 but lol what the absolute gently caress.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Looks like crypto bros went full mask off fash

https://twitter.com/AltcoinGordon/status/1516837063483662338?s=20&t=GEUGKtbIE7-oCO3NZ8AnBw

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Depends. We can produce more fuel if we have breeders. That's practically inexhaustible with a Breeder. As it is, with just Uranium we have, we could easily do 250+ years. But we can always re-enrich and breed spent fuel and keep fueling reactors off that.

Plus sourcing Uranium from sea water, or Thorium reactors in the future.

That's more than twice as long as weve been hooked on primarily petroleum based energy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

THEN WHY DO YOU NEED PUERTO RICANS TO ENROLL IN SELECTIVE SERVICE YOU IMPERIALIST PIGS!!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Independence or statehood and nothing in between.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/Meidas_G/status/1517168270750724096

i was angry crying and now and crying angry.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

Independence or statehood and nothing in between.

As long as it's Puerto Ricans' hands on that particular steering wheel, absolutely.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A.o.D. posted:

That's more than twice as long as weve been hooked on primarily petroleum based energy.

Which is an improvement over the previous whale based technology, to be fair

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Which is an improvement over the previous whale based technology, to be fair

Coal, actually, which is better but also worse. Instead of sacrificing whales for high quality lamp fuel, you're sacrificing poor people and children for low quality everything fuel.

Sexual Lorax posted:

As long as it's Puerto Ricans' hands on that particular steering wheel, absolutely.

I agree completely, but at the same time no one should be born on American soil and not have the protections, rights, and privileges of citizenship. If we can't grant that, them we should have no authority over them. I don't see an acceptable middle ground.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 21, 2022

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sexual Lorax posted:

I just hope the Puerto Rican Nationalist party is reborn (in minecraft) and they repeat what they did in the 1950s (this time in ARK: Survival Evolved because dinosaurs)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In more "stupid wins" news, Delta just unbanned everyone they kicked off a flight for not masking

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
CNN+ is dead, meaning adding a + to something is no longer a money printer button anymore. Also its life could be measured in Scaramuccis. And it's probably a bigger failure than Quibi.

https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1517177312424316929?t=WIuv4WLSXVaOcJnRlOIyGQ&s=19

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

shame on an IGA posted:

In more "stupid wins" news, Delta just unbanned everyone they kicked off a flight for not masking

I don't know why I'm surprised that the Atlanta-based airline turns out to be run by chuds with a death drive.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

CNN+ is dead, meaning adding a + to something is no longer a money printer button anymore. Also its life could be measured in Scaramuccis. And it's probably a bigger failure than Quibi.

https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1517177312424316929?t=WIuv4WLSXVaOcJnRlOIyGQ&s=19

What's that in Smoots?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I am so goddamn tired of living in the stupidest loving timeline

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

CNN made a CNN streaming service that didn't have CNN

Insanely stupid

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
What exactly did CNN+ attempt to offer

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElMaligno posted:

I just hope the Puerto Rican Nationalist party is reborn (in minecraft) and they repeat what they did in the 1950s (this time in ARK: Survival Evolved because dinosaurs)

Try and kill DinoTruman? 🦖

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
CNN on demand except they have longstanding agreement with cable companies that prevent them from offering live or breaking news content on streaming.

So all the non-news CNN shows you want!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

How would you like to subscribe to CNN+ to access a documentary on Gilda Radner, or The 70s

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Stanley Tucci and Chris Wallace to the best of my knowledge…and long obnoxious ads.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also final confirmation that Pelosi was right - this wasn't an Army fuckup, it was a fuckup of the FAA not telling Capitol Police.

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1517187357170098176?t=Iw-NTeYdU6ytKAJliRDNmQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CNN+ spent nine million us dollars per day to peak at 10% of the paid subscribers of Chapo Trap House, a podcast that openly promotes pirate feeds of its own content

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 21, 2022