Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm hope it's as good as the Mario Bros. movie.

"Hi, I'm Steve Steve and this is my sibling Alex Steve."

Edit: Mushroom Kingdom snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the take castle superbeast had about the mario movie, in that "you'll know the trailer is out for the mario movie because twitter will go down entirely for two days"

god, imagine if the sonic the hedgehog movie comes out the far-ahead winner between it, mario, and minecraft in regards to movies

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I was talking about the original Mario Bros. movie. Did they say if the new one is going to be Live Action?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Potsticker posted:

I was talking about the original Mario Bros. movie. Did they say if the new one is going to be Live Action?

It's animated, I think it's being made by Illumination, the Minions studio?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Veotax posted:

It's animated, I think it's being made by Illumination, the Minions studio?

Somehow that's a little disappointing, but thanks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I half want it to be good and half want it to fail in every way that the sonic movie changed to succeed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Wait, I JUST realized this is a live-action movie.

What in the hell? Was that always the plan? I could've sworn it was gonna be CG animated.

This is so gloriously stupid, I'm now really excited for this movie.

didnt they already make an animated minecraft nobody gave a poo poo about? live action seems the way to go here, at least partially. im hoping for a spykids 3d level movie. spykids 3d owns

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Khanstant posted:

didnt they already make an animated minecraft nobody gave a poo poo about? live action seems the way to go here, at least partially. im hoping for a spykids 3d level movie. spykids 3d owns

Not that I'm aware of. Telltale made two seasons of their brand of narrative game, that's the closest thing to an animated movie/series that I know of.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Veotax posted:

Not that I'm aware of. Telltale made two seasons of their brand of narrative game, that's the closest thing to an animated movie/series that I know of.

Netflix has the dumb Minecraft Interactive thing with the Wither Storm.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Minecraft Story Mode. My kid liked it well enough. Patton Oswalt voices the main character.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
People were saying that Grian seems like a mean-spirited and self-centered kinda guy, but he's one of my favorites to watch. I never felt like anything he does is ever in bad form, and he gets as much as he gives. He's mischievous, and I can understand if that's not really your thing or you don't want to expose your kids to YouTubers who are more inclined to mess with others, but I never saw him as anything but a fun guy. He has lots of interactions with other Hermits which draws attention to them, he's very helpful and lending a hand to others when they need it, and has some very creative ideas for his builds. And his palling around with Mumbo and Scar, in particular, results in a lot of stuff that makes me laugh really hard.

I feel like if anything he was doing was an actual issue, it would have been brought up among the group. This is the same server that ousted its own creator, so I don't think they'd just ignore it if Grian was a real problem for anyone. You gotta remember, there's a lot of conversations outside of what you see in videos.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
There's griefing and then there's pranking. Jamesman switching my chest-label item frames around is pranking and funny. Jamesman dumping all of my poo poo into my lavatrash is griefing and unfunny.

I say this as someone that used to laugh at Team Avolition :negative:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Is there a goon Discord server for Minecraft?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I just saw some talk about making a central discord on one of the individual goon minecraft server discords but I don't think anything like that exists yet.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There is one, but last post was Jan 2019 and only like 10 people left in it.
It seems to be set to invite only after Tempus Thales Discord meltdown.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Well, now we know where Etho has been for the last few months. :(

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 2, 2022

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Well, now we know where Erho has been for the last few months. :(

You mean ethoslab?

Some of the other hermits have talked about his situation in their vids and it didn’t sound great.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, he updated today.

Both his parents got sick simultaneously; his mom recovered from her unspecified illness but his dad died from aggressive brain cancer.

He’s been doing hospice and rolling up his
Dad’s business, complicated by his dad’s frontal lobe failing first resulting in a lot of bad decision making.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

corgski posted:

I just saw some talk about making a central discord on one of the individual goon minecraft server discords but I don't think anything like that exists yet.

Yeah there's a lot of vanilla SMP goons but they're splintered across multiple servers and discords and I thought it would be a good idea to centralize everyone, since servers come and go and single-server discords can vanish overnight (rip HH). The idea is each server gets a channel or group of channels, plus having some common channels for things like one-off/seasonal maps (like the skyblock MP I've been wanting to get going since like 1.15). Plus a group of general channels for sharing builds, designs, contraptions, and tech support (for server admins).

I just don't want to run the drat thing and feel like it shouldn't be in one person's hands anyway, so consider this a call to step up if you want a part in helping unify everyone. I could go ahead and start the server just to get things off the ground, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I should try one of the goon servers. I love just doing a whole lot of nothing outside of exploring and building a neat little base and love the idea of playing on a server and helping build resources and things for others to benefit from.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I had a fantastic time on HH's server and the other goons there built some wonderful stuff. i only wish I had had more time to play on it because everyone was really friendly and cool.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Xerol posted:

Yeah there's a lot of vanilla SMP goons but they're splintered across multiple servers and discords and I thought it would be a good idea to centralize everyone, since servers come and go and single-server discords can vanish overnight (rip HH). The idea is each server gets a channel or group of channels, plus having some common channels for things like one-off/seasonal maps (like the skyblock MP I've been wanting to get going since like 1.15). Plus a group of general channels for sharing builds, designs, contraptions, and tech support (for server admins).

I just don't want to run the drat thing and feel like it shouldn't be in one person's hands anyway, so consider this a call to step up if you want a part in helping unify everyone. I could go ahead and start the server just to get things off the ground, though.

https://discord.gg/ARmynfgVPt

I already have the DIY subforum and several other discords to suck up my time but I'll gladly make any channels people want and appoint server mods and such if this takes off. If you run any of the PGS servers and want to be a part of this hmu.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's a shame you can't network different servers together, or otherwise mesh them into one. i don't know how many hours i spent on a tiny server that existed for a couple months that a handful of byob posters built in. i made a massive hotel, fancy elevator, themed floors, individual rooms for everyone, it was really cool and I never wanna build it again it was so massive and decorated. now it only exists... nowhere? idk if anyone even took pics or anything, dont think i did. we also had some great travel infrastructure in our town and outskirts areas, everyone else had their own cool megaprojects too. all blocks in the void now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Think of Minecraft as a less-profound sand mandala.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

One of the long-term goals I want to accomplish is getting old server backups and mashing together the chunks into one big museum map. The borders between chunks will be a mess but you can just copy region files from different worlds together and it should for the most part just work. I think you might have to do some minor editing to coordinates if you want to move chunks, haven't actually tried it, but it's theoretically no different than doing a partial backup restoration by only copying over selected .mca files. Also I think it might be possible to just have every world as a separate dimension and some commandblock fuckery can allow players to go between them. e: Players would also be in adventure/spectator mode in the museum server/dimensions since it's supposed to be a museum.

That said if anyone has backups of old (or current) servers and wants to preserve them, get them up onto a google drive or whatever and we can work on that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It's easy to move stuff around with worldedit and we could even use some of its terrain smoothing features to clean up borders.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got back into minecraft recently after the caves and cliffs update, did some light modding(mostly QOL stuff, extra biomes, backpacks, etc), it's pretty nice. The caves can be a bit ridiculously huge now, dunno if I like them being quite so massive all the time, but it's at least less generic than the fairly predictable old cavegen. love the change to spawn levels too, not having to spam torches quite so much is wonderful.

I heard random minecraft music playing in a specific area while wandering around the overworld, seemingly from a source in game because I have the music turned off, so I started digging to see if I could find what it was. I got 5 block layers down, and instead of finding the source of the music, I found a small cave with an exit hole. this is what was beyond said hole.

the cavern goes beyond the drat draw distance and I'm pretty sure that's down near bedrock at that lava ocean level. again, bigger caves is nice, but this is a little much

edit: and there's just a straight up hole from the surface to near-bedrock, naturally formed. drat minecraft, you scary

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 22, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It does seem pretty much like all caves are mega caves now. I like the big caves visually, but exploring them is a huge hassle even with elytra. Want some bonus spelunking tools and for them to fill the empty space with something interesting in rarer caves to mix it up. Right now they just feel like HD minecraft caves, using more blocks to provide finer cave gen gradients, but they didn't add anything to fill up the expanded space, or take into account that the nice looking gradients in minecraft translate into a nightmare of hopping up block after block. Come to think of it, they could've added stair or slab type blocks for cave terrain so there could be both increased "resolution" for the new caves and make it more navigable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Terraria style rope block you could click to drop and bunch of and then climb up and down would be cool too. Sort of like an opposite-scaffolding.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Terraria had way more options for mobility and exploration. Passive dynamic light generation, multiple methods of ore finding and improved visibility, grappling hooks, ropes, double jumps, wall grabs, wings, fall damage immunity. Minecraft is seriously lacking when it comes to gear and options like that. Mobility basically doesn't change from day 1 to elytra, unless you count horses and i don't.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Don't worry, they'll come up with 10 new mobility tools and then make everyone vote to include just 1, the most boring one will win and then it'll come out 3 years later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah anytime I think or talk about what minecraft "should" add I make a really strong effort to keep in mind they take ages to deliver their own mild ideas and not even all the ones they said.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
There are climbing options in the form of the different vines, but obtaining and using them certainly isn't ideal. Having more conventional objects would be great for earlier access and aesthetics. Like, imagine how many builds would be improved by having actual ropes to use.

Does Mojang still have a "valid" excuse for the drip-feed of additions to the game? It used to be "Notch's code is a loving disaster and if we add too many different block IDs the game will explode" but that can't still be the case, can it? It seems more likely that there's just no real incentive to do it because there's no money in doing it, instead just doing the bare minimum to keep Minecraft in the conversation so it doesn't die out.

"Please vote on the one biome you would like us to add a new tree to, and a new mob you would like to see, and it will take us a year to add in both and we'll also destroy your old worlds in the process." It feels so drat underwhelming, especially since modding appears to have only gotten better. I've been watching Afterlife SMP, and seeing all these mods functioning together and it all fitting in with the tone of the game and how much it all adds to the experience... I never played modded before, but I might have to start.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I thought the wild update was supposed to contain more than one biome, I was lead to believe that a lot of the old biomes would be updated to look better but now they're in prerelease and the only thing we've really seen when it comes to biomes is mangrove swamps, which is nice and all but it feels weak compared to what I thought was going to happen.

They're not even updating the birch forests which they shared concept art for, I'm actually annoyed about this since I was looking forward to rediscovering biomes in the update.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I think Savannahs were supposed to be updated an age ago, too. Mostly now I'm just of the opinion that less than 20% of whatever they hype up or put in trailers will actually make it in and just assume anything announced is bullshit until it actually gets released.

Bundles have been the biggest shock since usually if something makes it far enough to be in snapshots it actually gets added.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
What they did was they had a vote for which biomes people wanted to see revised. In 2018, it was Deserts, Taigas, and Savannas, and Taiga won, so they gave us berry bushes, campfires, and foxes.

Then the following year, it was Badlands, Swamps, and Mountains. Mountains won, which ended up being part of the whole world generation overhaul and gave us powder snow and goats. Then they decided to do swamps, which gives us frogs, mud, boats with chests, and a new tree type. The past couple years they downgraded to just doing votes for a new mob, which is how we got glow squids and allays.

No word on if they'll end up revisiting any other biomes that lost the votes.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The problem with bundles, supposedly, is that they can't figure out how to make them work on a touchscreen interface. Which I guess makes sense, given that they are so mouse-centric.

Mojang really hosed it with 1.19, honestly. I think that when they presented that concept art for the birch forest they had every intention of revamping at least that biome, as well as actually revamping the swamps instead of just adding an additional swamp-type biome, but circumstances caused their plans to derail and they had to cut back. The big issue is how they handled the blowback, by saying that fireflies are "going back into the ideas library" and backpedaling and claiming that since the birch forest stuff was just concept art, that means that they never necessarily intended to make it a reality. They are technically correct; they did not explicitly state that they were going to revamp birch forests. Instead, all they did was strongly imply it.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

this microsoft launcher sure is a piece of poo poo. I'm trying to update to the new snapshot and the only one that shows up is the Prerelease1 and we're now on Prerelease 3. Deleting and reinstalling the launcher hasn't worked. the new prerelease snapshot is definitely supposed to be on the launcher, anyone know why it's not there?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

this microsoft launcher sure is a piece of poo poo. I'm trying to update to the new snapshot and the only one that shows up is the Prerelease1 and we're now on Prerelease 3. Deleting and reinstalling the launcher hasn't worked. the new prerelease snapshot is definitely supposed to be on the launcher, anyone know why it's not there?

Haven't fired up MC in a while but I just checked and I see it assuming 1.19-pre3 is what you are looking for:

Probably doesn't help, so good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

TheDK posted:

Haven't fired up MC in a while but I just checked and I see it assuming 1.19-pre3 is what you are looking for:

Probably doesn't help, so good luck.

no unfortunately it doesn't, but thank you. i dug into the minecraft launcher Jira and it appears to be an issue with a URL
https://bugs.mojang.com/projects/MCL/issues/MCL-21498?filter=allopenissues

Allo, Penis Sues

From the comments--
The only solution is to manually update the version_manifest_v2 JSON file with the launchermeta, and then add new versions and rename the .jar file and update the .json file. Once I loaded back into the Minecraft launcher, the versions AND the patch notes were recovered.

I don't know what this means tbqh. I'm also not sure how it's me and this Linux guy only having the problem since everyone else is on my server with no issues.