Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Yeah Newcomb really needed a change of scenery, good luck to him. It’s possible there’s still a major league pitcher, maybe even a decent one, in there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Not every day you see a trade with all former Angels players. Cash has been a big time prospect for the halos but never amounted to any wins.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

We were so close to having a 3000th hit, no hitter, and a triple play all on the same day within the span of about two hours

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 21, 2022

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Salvor_Hardin posted:

If a dude gets taken out while rounding the bases on a HR and needs to get subbed, does the sub need to finish the HR trot and cross the plate to count?

It would be obstruction and the umps would just award the run.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/ben_upton5/status/1516960472557408256?s=21

I really really hate watching the A’s die.

I’ll never forget the earthquake series or being smote by Chris Sabo and the reds. Or waiting on Todd Van Poppel to put the pieces together.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/donorsillo/status/1516970337388298240?s=21&t=ELggCSBrdX4Wf2KWB-AVVg

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

what dickhead wouldn't allow Orsillo's video tribute to his broadcast partner to be played?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

will_colorado posted:

what dickhead wouldn't allow Orsillo's video tribute to his broadcast partner to be played?

FSG, seeing it come from a competitor conglomerate?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

will_colorado posted:

That's insane...was he a drain pisser?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

will_colorado posted:

According to Chad Finn, Orsillo was asked a week ago and didn't get the message to the team until last night. So my charitable interpretation is that the team had already locked in their schedule for the ceremony and couldn't fit his message in.

Regardless, bad look for the club, and letting Orsillo go is still the dumbest thing they've done in the past twenty years, and that includes the Mookie trade.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
With the series win and a small 3 game game streak the Royals are back to. 500 and their playoff odds are back in the double digits. Small small victories, but after that 17 to 3 blow out where all the young pitchers got fuckin shelled I didn't think either would happen again.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Good lord :laffo:

That has to be the record for a lowest attendance home opener.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1516950729470009344

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Oh my god i've seen more people at a AA game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Rangers at this rate will have a shittier record than last year

good luck selling anything to the fanbase you fuckheads

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

m's are undefeated since becoming a super-spreader event

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Well deserved, but at least Pache can work out his poo poo against MLB pitching maybe.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Good lord :laffo:

That has to be the record for a lowest attendance home opener.

Fwiw not actually the opener. Third game back at home, on a Wednesday afternoon, against the orioles, plus game time got moved up 3 hours less than a day in advance due to worries about weather. Home opener attendance was like 17k—still not amazing but not as abysmal as that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Is that total sales or people who entered through the gate? Usually attendance is reported via total ticket sales, so the actual number of people who entered is even lower.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m guessing that’s paid attendance

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Oh my god i've seen more people at a AA game

Our local low-A team draws more.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Twins are 4-8 and have been shutout 4 times already. This is gonna be a great season :bravo:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Proud of the Rangers for giving up a season-low 4 runs last night.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Peggy Edson posted:

Twins are 4-8 and have been shutout 4 times already. This is gonna be a great season :bravo:

I'd consider it a failure ff the White Sox don't have the AL Central outright won by the first week of September. Everyone sucks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

it's insane how bad our offense is considering the people on the team

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Peggy Edson posted:

they're making the royals look like world series contenders, which is quite a feat

its like they have a bunch of guys who at one time or another were really good hitters, but now are collectively not for some reason

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So the Rangers pulled a triple play last night in the 1st.
https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-turn-triple-play-against-mariners

I don't think it's the first time I've seen one where the player could have easily made it unassisted if they wanted to, but drat. Rarest play in baseball right there for the taking, but he threw to 2nd. I assume Lowe was either unaware of the significance or there's some drat unwritten rule about it, but the Hell with that. I would have run that ball to 2nd and celebrated like the biggest dumbass on a last place team you've ever seen.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

LeeMajors posted:

https://twitter.com/ben_upton5/status/1516960472557408256?s=21

I really really hate watching the A’s die.

I’ll never forget the earthquake series or being smote by Chris Sabo and the reds. Or waiting on Todd Van Poppel to put the pieces together.

I mean.. it's sad but it's completely artificial so I am more upset than anything else. The owner is making a clown show of the franchise to try and coerce the city into giving him hundreds of millions of dollars. Apparently the MLB is all behind him too, so gently caress em all and let the team move to Vegas.. I'm sure they'll do great there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sean "Duke" Newcomb

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

On the other hand, this is Detroit today:

https://twitter.com/RealTonyGarcia/status/1517190407091896323

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Of course, witnessing a 3000th hit is way more interesting than just about any A's game in 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs all over pitcher trades in the early goings:

https://twitter.com/Russ_Dorsey1/status/1517197474250821633

The return is just cash considerations, apparently. For curious Giants fans Abbot looked like he might actually be something for a while but hit a wall in AAA, and got absolutely demolished in his cup of coffee last season. Doesn't really have much in the way of velo or stuff but his control is decent and if he can figure out at least one plus pitch he could settle in as an okay fifth starter.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Our local low-A team draws more.

The Sacto River Cats average nearly 4,000 or something. :newlol:

Oakland, as a sports town, is done. I'll get flogged - but the A's need to just go for Pleasanton or something with 30,000 parking spots to lure valley people with giant bro-trucks/SUV's, 4+ kids and too lazy to go all the way to SF.

The A's were dead the very second the Giants got their shiny new ballpark built (20 years ago now!) and have finally realized it.

I'm saying this as an over 50 dipshit who first went to an A's game in 1974 and had season tickets in the 2000's and actually lived in Oakland for a few years and still technically "work" there.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 21, 2022

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Keyser_Soze posted:

Oakland, as a sports town, is done. I'll get flogged - but the A's need to just go for Pleasanton or something with 30,000 parking spots to lure valley people with giant bro-trucks/SUV's, 4+ kids and too lazy to go all the way to SF.

The A's were dead the very second the Giants got their shiny new ballpark built (20 years ago now!) and have finally realized it.

I'm saying this as an over 50 dipshit who first went to an A's game in 1974 and had season tickets in the 2000's and actually lived in Oakland for a few years and still technically "work" there.

I have no strong feelings about the As in general but this really bums me out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Remember when MLB suspended Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle for taking greeter work from Bally's

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

This is dumb as poo poo. They don’t need to move, they just need an owner who gives a poo poo. They could build a new stadium on the existing site which is already well located on public transit.

But Fischer doesn’t want to pay for it himself, so he’s trying to extort the public for funding by threatening a move. And he’s intentionally sabotaging the team quality while raising ticket prices to tank attendance as justification.

It’s the oldest trick in the book. Loria did it in Montreal and it’s literally the plot of the movie Major League

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Imagine if MLB allowed fun

https://twitter.com/TheSavBananas/status/1517126006158548993?t=rucpi7Zw498hpOdyN8p5hw&s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Imagining someone doing this to Madison bumgarner

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Absolutely dying at the boos for intentionally walking Miggy in the 8th despite it being absolutely the right thing to do.

Edit - or was it? Also, this isn't the GDT.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

went to their site and every game available is sold out. can't argue with results

are they just a globetrotter-ish travel ball club? would absolutely pay to see them face the woosox and have a guy walk to the box in a skirt with his bat on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

This is dumb as poo poo. They don’t need to move, they just need an owner who gives a poo poo. They could build a new stadium on the existing site which is already well located on public transit.

But Fischer doesn’t want to pay for it himself, so he’s trying to extort the public for funding by threatening a move. And he’s intentionally sabotaging the team quality while raising ticket prices to tank attendance as justification.

It’s the oldest trick in the book. Loria did it in Montreal and it’s literally the plot of the movie Major League

This is all true but the existing site kinda sucks for the "building overpriced hipster lofts" part of any deal.