Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

The little montage at the end strongly hinted that Jean goes full Phoenix in the future

Also, they positioned Rogue next to Scott to hint at them becoming a couple in Xavier's vision. And I think the showrunners confirmed that's what would have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So apparently Green Lantern TAS is now part of the Young Justice universe

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

drrockso20 posted:

That's cool.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Netflix’s Bone adaptation is dead as part of ongoing cutbacks at their TV animation division. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/drewtailored/status/1516951941779050496?s=21&t=zliiAf0XFQYkH5BSWs1GvQ

On the positive side, the books are popular enough that another streamer/studio will probably take a crack at it before too long, I guess?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

On the positive side, the books are popular enough that another streamer/studio will probably take a crack at it before too long, I guess?

It feels like there's a lot of money on the table for a studio who actually wants to go out there and make cartoons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Don't hold your breath, people have been trying to make Bone since the late 90s, going from 1 movie produced by Nickelodeon to a trilogy from Warner Bros and then a Netflix series and now... well, here we are.

I'm sure someone will snap up the rights and say they're gonna make it, but the question is will anything actually get made?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hope the Redwall stuff still gets made.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Telltale games had a Bone project in the works and partially published before they really hit it off with other projects. No idea if it was any good or if it's even possible to [legally] buy and play these days, but the trailer really gave me a perspective on the comics since they're all voiced with very american accents unlike most fantasy.

I don't know if Netflix is actually having financial trouble (which I did have the impression that some of their projects just had stupid amounts of money dropped on them with no real sense of proportion or efficiency) or if they're running into the point where creative teams they fostered earlier on might be getting unruly under Netflix's structure where all the labor battles from the early days of TV and movies have to be refought now that it's a slightly new form of media.

The Wrap posted:

Netflix currently touts “Boss Baby” as the ideal of what an animated series on the platform should be and what kind of numbers those animated series should be bringing in (this was reiterated by almost everyone we spoke to) although Netflix doesn’t even own “Boss Baby” — it licenses the series from DreamWorks Animation.
https://twitter.com/afraidofwasps/status/1177301482464526337

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 21, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

drrockso20 posted:

I'm sure this episode is going to be it

But rad as hell that it happened

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I've been trying to keep up with Young Justice but I cannot for the life of me figure out who this show is being made for anymore

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I've been trying to keep up with Young Justice but I cannot for the life of me figure out who this show is being made for anymore

That's about where I'm at. I tried to give the Cass Cain Batgirl arc a final try for the show and they kind of fumbled that.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Yeah, even where there's interesting stuff with the characters you want to see get screentime it's just... rough.

What kills me more than anything is how much it's all just talking. Like this last string of Atlantis episodes is probably the only time I've just gotten fed up with a TV show and fast forwarded through parts because it truly is just Phantom Menace level "people sitting around and talking about politics." Like do you wanna see the Outsiders doing cool superhero stuff and being a team? gently caress off, have some still photos that imply they're a cool team, and a storyline about Beast Boy being depressed while all his friends monologue at him and he just keeps being depressed for like 10 episodes. Also, let's learn about the socio-political structure of some places that truly do not matter.

Like I get that their budget is 'a shoe string and good intentions' but like why make the show at this point. At the end of episode 17 they actual sped up the audio on Vandal Savage's monologue to fit it in for the runtime! Why is this kid's show about superheroes just people talking about politics and depression???

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I haven't watched since its revival but yesterday the Youtube algorithm decided to serve me up a clip of (spoilers I guess) Beast Boy getting an intervention because he has PTSD and is abusing sleeping pills after watching Superboy die and all I could think is "How the gently caress did this show go from a show about sidekicks breaking out into their own team to this?"

I used to think one of these days I'd go back and watch it since, even though I wasn't in love with the show, it was okay, but like goddamn I don't need that out of my super-shows.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dawgstar posted:

That's about where I'm at. I tried to give the Cass Cain Batgirl arc a final try for the show and they kind of fumbled that.

poo poo. They did Cass Cain? Do I want to know?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Cassandra herself was done pretty well, but Shiva was stupid and hosed up, and Barbara says and does some weird poo poo. I almost wonder if it was done to make Tigress look better in comparison.

Out of the mini-arcs this season has consisted of, that one was easily the least annoying. Although I will admit, this most reason episode with the out-of-left-field epilogue for GL The Animated series wasn't too bad. We'll see how it does when it can't lean on that particular spring of positivity, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I haven't watched since its revival but yesterday the Youtube algorithm decided to serve me up a clip of (spoilers I guess) Beast Boy getting an intervention because he has PTSD and is abusing sleeping pills after watching Superboy die and all I could think is "How the gently caress did this show go from a show about sidekicks breaking out into their own team to this?"

I used to think one of these days I'd go back and watch it since, even though I wasn't in love with the show, it was okay, but like goddamn I don't need that out of my super-shows.

Greg Weisman is really big on overarching stories and the fans eat this poo poo up. Beast Boy's arc has been kind of insufferable...in fact he's been annoying to watch all season so far. But the fans keep saying how they want more of his depression and how it mirrors real life so well.

It may mirror real life but it makes for very poor superhero TV. It's almost CW levels of boring.

The most recent arc with Rocket shows her problems raising her autistic son and parallels that with Orion's anger in some weird way.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know if Netflix is actually having financial trouble (which I did have the impression that some of their projects just had stupid amounts of money dropped on them with no real sense of proportion or efficiency) or if they're running into the point where creative teams they fostered earlier on might be getting unruly under Netflix's structure where all the labor battles from the early days of TV and movies have to be refought now that it's a slightly new form of media.

They posted their first ever loss of subscribers yesterday and then throughout the day their stock dropped 25%. Looks like its dropped 38% in total since teusday night.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

ThermoPhysical posted:

The most recent arc with Rocket shows her problems raising her autistic son and parallels that with Orion's anger in some weird way.

Yeah, I was actually thinking, isn't drawing a parallel between neurodivergence and being the literal scion of pure evil kinda problematic?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, I was actually thinking, isn't drawing a parallel between neurodivergence and being the literal scion of pure evil kinda problematic?

It's mainly Orion's Anger issues. Orion's always been a good guy after all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

poo poo. They did Cass Cain? Do I want to know?

Young Justice spoilers:

They really messed with her origin. Instead of having perfect body language reading skills and knowing exactly how the only man she killed felt as he died and it being such a traumatic shock to her system she spends the rest of her life atoning for, she is raised an assassin by Shiva and sent to kill the Joker and Barbara stops her so she doesn't kill the Joker BUT does take a stab wound from Cass that puts her in the wheelchair to be Oracle. Then later she has the chance to kill Shiva but doesn't.

I don't care for it on the whole.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Greg Weisman is really big on overarching stories and the fans eat this poo poo up. Beast Boy's arc has been kind of insufferable...in fact he's been annoying to watch all season so far. But the fans keep saying how they want more of his depression and how it mirrors real life so well.

It may mirror real life but it makes for very poor superhero TV. It's almost CW levels of boring.

lol yeah that is some prime "well that sounds interesting on paper but I sure don't want to watch it" material

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

Young Justice spoilers:

They really messed with her origin. Instead of having perfect body language reading skills and knowing exactly how the only man she killed felt as he died and it being such a traumatic shock to her system she spends the rest of her life atoning for, she is raised an assassin by Shiva and sent to kill the Joker and Barbara stops her so she doesn't kill the Joker BUT does take a stab wound from Cass that puts her in the wheelchair to be Oracle. Then later she has the chance to kill Shiva but doesn't.

I don't care for it on the whole.

this sucks

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TwoPair posted:

I mean this is the show that took a villain like Sportsmaster way too seriously in its first season.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
it's genuinely very funny that Young Justice decided to give an entire story arc to Rocket, a character with a grand total of four speaking appearances in the original run, and then had most of the first episode be eaten up by Superboy jumping around in the Phantom Zone and the second episode be part of a plot line from an entirely different show that was cancelled almost a decade ago. She gets like 5 minutes of "it's so hard out here for mothers of autism", refuses to go to her son's IEP planning meeting, and then goes into space to watch things happen to other people. Another storytelling masterpiece from Greg Weisman.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

dordreff posted:

it's genuinely very funny that Young Justice decided to give an entire story arc to Rocket, a character with a grand total of four speaking appearances in the original run, and then had most of the first episode be eaten up by Superboy jumping around in the Phantom Zone and the second episode be part of a plot line from an entirely different show that was cancelled almost a decade ago. She gets like 5 minutes of "it's so hard out here for mothers of autism", refuses to go to her son's IEP planning meeting, and then goes into space to watch things happen to other people. Another storytelling masterpiece from Greg Weisman.

:yikes:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'll bite. How does Young Justice tie itself to Green Lantern TAS?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Vandar posted:

I'll bite. How does Young Justice tie itself to Green Lantern TAS?

During the episode, we learn that Razer (now a Blue Lantern per the end of GL TAS) has been doing some questing to find Aya to little to no success. In YJ, he shows up on New Genesis, where the A plot of the week is going on in order to reclaim the red ring he gave to Metron for safekeeping. Surprise, Metron was a dick and was leading Razer on a wild goose chase in order to have time to study the red ring. In exchange for the red ring, he wants the blue ring, so to study as well. Razer puts on the red ring and goes rage mode, but the blue ring comes to him of its own will. He puts on both a la Guy, explosions happen, Razer flies off into space as Razerman Red/Blue to resume his search.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's more of a through line of how Rocket wants her son to be "normal" and she really really really can't deal with his Autism. The story of her obv putting all this pressure on herself, divorced mom, special needs parent, crappy JL member, who for some reason is on a diplomatic mission with Jay Garrick to New Genesis and then learning to I dunno accept her son for who he is much like Highfather's wife accepts Orion for who he is and loves him. And not use work to avoid your problems.

What is kinda unforgiveable is the LORE DUMP Lor Zod does to shitboy Martian brother about eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvverything, and cutting between him and the two Legionnaires giving the skinny to Bart, that's like half of the drat last episode because there wasn't enough time in a four episode mini arc format they've been doing all season to jam that poo poo in. That's just real bad writing and pacing.

The Martian arc was fine even with Beast Boy being constantly psychically hosed with to be made an insufferable poo poo, Assassin's arc was okay in just giving more story to Tigress and Cheshire's hosed up childhood and her attempts to have a cohesive family unit and what that can really mean etc etc, the Magic arc was just Halloween horror town that I was all in for and did a fantastic explanation of a school bus, Undersea arc had a great Indiana Jones payoff some good thrupple action and pretty aqua mens making out with that one not Atlantean woman really really really trying to swim into Kaldur's pants.

But mainly I enjoy it cause all of these "kids" are aging growing up dealing with adulting poo poo, trauma, and being super heroes. That thing that DC hates to do in replacing the original heroes, in comics, actively happens season to season on this show at least. It's super messy and uneven, but I at least appreciate it for attempting it, plus since this is all "Elseworlds" poo poo it doesn't really matter. What I don't like is a supreme lack of Dick, practically no Dick this entire season. Need me some Dick.

hiddenriverninja posted:

During the episode, we learn that Razer (now a Blue Lantern per the end of GL TAS) has been doing some questing to find Aya to little to no success. In YJ, he shows up on New Genesis, where the A plot of the week is going on in order to reclaim the red ring he gave to Metron for safekeeping. Surprise, Metron was a dick and was leading Razer on a wild goose chase in order to have time to study the red ring. In exchange for the red ring, he wants the blue ring, so to study as well. Razer puts on the red ring and goes rage mode, but the blue ring comes to him of its own will. He puts on both a la Guy, explosions happen, Razer flies off into space as Razerman Red/Blue to resume his search.

Don't forget The only reason he get's the Blue ring back is because he squished Forager's lady friend real good with chunks of a statue, and proceeded to use the Blue ring to bring her back to life

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jiro posted:

But mainly I enjoy it cause all of these "kids" are aging growing up dealing with adulting poo poo, trauma, and being super heroes. That thing that DC hates to do in replacing the original heroes, in comics, actively happens season to season on this show at least. It's super messy and uneven, but I at least appreciate it for attempting it, plus since this is all "Elseworlds" poo poo it doesn't really matter. What I don't like is a supreme lack of Dick, practically no Dick this enti

I am assuming after New Genesis we will get a Dick focused arc.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am assuming after New Genesis we will get a Dick focused arc.

all Dick, all the time

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Razer is also like super bishonen. They yassified him right up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Don’t forget Kilowog and Tomar-re are there!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I do appreciate the hook of them following up on the original characters and really seeing them grow up in a big way, but also like. The biggest complaints about the show were that the cast was Much Too Big and none of these new characters you were excited to see introduced would get any actual screentime. Like Wonder Girl is on the team implicitly as the sidekick of one of the ~Big Three~ and has maybe 4 whole lines across the 3 seasons she's been in.

So naturally the response to "none of these characters get any development or screentime" is "let's really focus on the characters who've had multiple seasons of screentime." :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What I remember about Young Justice is that it tried very hard to work up some drama, and then underneath that it just wasn't any fun as a show. The overwrought drama is all it has going.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even in the first season you had some things Weisman was bad about writ large, in particular being "just as planned." Everything the Light did was just as planned. No setbacks. Plus you had all the 'clever' wordplay and it just felt oddly joyless at times.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm still enjoying the show, but it definitely has some issues.

But yeah, I'm just waiting for this arc to end to get some Dick time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
e:nm

site fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 23, 2022

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Dawgstar posted:

Even in the first season you had some things Weisman was bad about writ large, in particular being "just as planned." Everything the Light did was just as planned. No setbacks. Plus you had all the 'clever' wordplay and it just felt oddly joyless at times.

That always bothered me so goddamn much, this show always felt like it was kind of low-key hostile about the fact that it was a cartoon instead of something live-action.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO Max has officially ordered the Kite Man spin off of Harley Quinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

HBO Max has officially ordered the Kite Man spin off of Harley Quinn.

Hell yeah.