Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda interesting how nearly every country has this mythology of organised crime that 'used to be respectable'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

thrawn527 posted:

I watched some of his testimony, but I had to turn it off. Either he turned up to the thing drunk, or he’s such a hardcore drinker that he has permanent drunk voice now. It’s probably the latter.

Shame on you!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have both of those too but I’ve never hit my wife

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

I have both of those too but I’ve never hit my wife

Based on tapes of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard played during the trial today and testimony from police and medical experts neither has Johnny Depp.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

logger posted:

Based on tapes of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard played during the trial today and testimony from police and medical experts neither has Johnny Depp.

go gently caress yourself

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk both seem like scum to me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

logger posted:

lol, the same Johnny Depp that sued The Sun when they called him a wifebeater, and lost against a tabloid with its reputation in the gutter in a British court where the person doing the suing has the inside track? That Johnny Depp?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Finding out Amber Heard is apparently besties with Eve Fartlow was a real lol moment.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 21, 2022

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

moonmazed posted:

go gently caress yourself

I'm sure Depp did some awful things as well but he's right that the tape played in court shows that his ex is an abuser and likely lied about a bunch of things. 100% agree they both seem like scummy people really. It's at a point where I dont think it even needs to be in this thread it's just two really hosed up people just being awful to each other, judge should just order them both to give $5 million each to charity and gently caress off out of court forever.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 21, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's gonna be hard to ever know everything that went down between Depp and Heard. But the tapes make it pretty clear that Heard abused Depp, because she openly admits to doing so on the tapes, and calling him a baby for not being okay with it. Whether Depp also abused Heard depends on whether you believe Heard. It's definitely possible, maybe even probable. Lord knows he's a scummy rear end in a top hat. But I'm personally confident in saying that Heard is an abuser.

A confident yes on one side is not a confident no on the other. I'm not saying I've now wiped the slate clean on Depp or anything. But I will now say I wouldn't be surprised to see Heard recast in the next Aquaman movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda interesting how nearly every country has this mythology of organised crime that 'used to be respectable'.

Historically they've provided access to things that are illegal and shouldn't be illegal. Like the Stonewall gay bar with the famous riot was a mob run joint because they were the only people that would provide space for a bar that people could be openly gay and dress in drag and what not.

They of course also provide access to things that are illegal for very good reasons.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Historically they've provided access to things that are illegal and shouldn't be illegal. Like the Stonewall gay bar with the famous riot was a mob run joint because they were the only people that would provide space for a bar that people could be openly gay and dress in drag and what not.

They of course also provide access to things that are illegal for very good reasons.

During one of the recent earthquakes in Japan, the Yakuza were being written up a lot for being genuinely helpful and doing things that the gov't wasn't quick enough or prepared to do.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Yakuza might be a special case since they sprang up as a direct result of the what the US did to Japan in the war. (Not excusing the hosed up poo poo they did/do.) They do seem to be dying out entirely since the average age of a member is in the 60s these days.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't quite know how true this is, but I've been told that many of the ethnic mafias in the US (Italian, Jewish, Irish, etc) sprang up around immigrant communities as a way to help each other out when you couldn't be certain if or how the government would.

You could see how that kind of organization could be potentially life saving in the right circumstances, even if they're still very harmful on net.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Yakuza might be a special case since they sprang up as a direct result of the what the US did to Japan in the war. (Not excusing the hosed up poo poo they did/do.) They do seem to be dying out entirely since the average age of a member is in the 60s these days.

Um, no? Yakuza go back to the 17th century.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't quite know how true this is, but I've been told that many of the ethnic mafias in the US (Italian, Jewish, Irish, etc) sprang up around immigrant communities as a way to help each other out when you couldn't be certain if or how the government would.

You could see how that kind of organization could be potentially life saving in the right circumstances, even if they're still very harmful on net.

Probably true to a point, although the Italian mafia actually originated in Italy before being imported to the US,* unlike the Jewish and Irish mobs, which originated in the US and were then exported to Ireland and Israel.

* Actually, it's slightly more complicated than that. The Italian-American mafia started as the American offshoot of the Sicilian Mafia, but it merged with both independent Italian-American groups and American offshoots of the Camorra and 'Ndrangheta.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 22, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Japanese government got real tired of the yakuza and began cracking down on them about 10 years ago. I imagine that certain people felt the kickbacks weren't worth the trouble for some reason. If you are identified as yakuza you are now akin to an untouchable.

Most just joined other gangs, since they're not allowed to have a bank account or own a cellphone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/japan-yakuza-crime-gangsters/2021/10/17/556a255c-2b0a-11ec-baf4-d7a4e075eb90_story.html

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Um, no? Yakuza go back to the 17th century.

And had a lot to do with the social discrimination experienced by burakumin.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's because lots of people like to say things like "my uncle Jimmy's boss knows a guy in the mob, and if you give me any guff I'll tell him!"
Then they feel like a big man, like they can sick some goons on you if you don't do what they say.
Don't do this, in reality criminals don't really like it if you go around talking about them and the crimes they do.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bill Murray is in the news

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1517224201249243137

and twitter is currently full of reminders that he has not been all sunshine in the past

https://twitter.com/citybureaucrat/status/1517268568789856256

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1517291859877392385

though there are of course plenty of people just yelling “YOU CAN’T CANCEL BILL MURRAY!”

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Chevy Chase also has a decades long reputation of being a colossal dickhead.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Articles about this news keep bringing up Drew Barrymore’s response to the Lucy Liu incident and it’s just so lovely. She two-sides it by praising Liu for her bravery and then explaining away how Murray was just a comedian going through one of their usual moody phases. It must feel so isolating to speak up about a beloved Hollywood legend and then have your costar more or less downplay the whole thing.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Articles about this news keep bringing up Drew Barrymore’s response to the Lucy Liu incident and it’s just so lovely. She two-sides it by praising Liu for her bravery and then explaining away how Murray was just a comedian going through one of their usual moody phases. It must feel so isolating to speak up about a beloved Hollywood legend and then have your costar more or less downplay the whole thing.

Barrymore produced it so she was more like her boss.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

deoju posted:

Chevy Chase also has a decades long reputation of being a colossal dickhead.

Famously. Something something, let them fight.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vegetable posted:

To be fair I think that's how Liu sort of explains it now as well. The two did make up years later. There's always PR involved in these things though, so it becomes easier to frame it as someone having a 'moment' instead of trying to drag anything out in public.

Murray has always had this reputation, it's just been easy to forget it because it was all pre the current love of him. I assumed that he cleaned up his act because so many people seemed to enjoy working with him - and maybe he did - but old habits and all that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
On the subject of UK pedophiles, there's also (allegedly) Arthur C. Clarke.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DrVenkman posted:

To be fair I think that's how Liu sort of explains it now as well. The two did make up years later. There's always PR involved in these things though, so it becomes easier to frame it as someone having a 'moment' instead of trying to drag anything out in public.

Murray has always had this reputation, it's just been easy to forget it because it was all pre the current love of him. I assumed that he cleaned up his act because so many people seemed to enjoy working with him - and maybe he did - but old habits and all that.

People have always loved Bill Murray so it's not exactly hard to imagine that Lucy Liu downplayed the incident herself because making too big a deal of it would have hurt or possibly even ended her career. Hollywood is a graveyard of the careers of women who tried to standup to predatory and/or abusive men.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CPL593H posted:

People have always loved Bill Murray so it's not exactly hard to imagine that Lucy Liu downplayed the incident herself because making too big a deal of it would have hurt or possibly even ended her career. Hollywood is a graveyard of the careers of women who tried to standup to predatory and/or abusive men.

Anyone described as "difficult to work with" I now just assume means "doesn't comply"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

starkebn posted:

Anyone described as "difficult to work with" I now just assume means "doesn't comply"

yeah, same. idk when it clicked for me either but it really shouldve been sooner

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Appears to be the case with Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd. At the very least, it cost them roles in Lord of the Rings.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

Appears to be the case with Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd. At the very least, it cost them roles in Lord of the Rings.

Weren't both of them specifically named as people who effectively told Harvey Weinstein to suck a railroad spike

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MonsieurChoc posted:

On the subject of UK pedophiles, there's also (allegedly) Arthur C. Clarke.

I get the impression that that was just homophobic fearmongering, which was a pretty common element of gaybashing back then (and now once again, yeehaw).

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I get the impression that that was just homophobic fearmongering, which was a pretty common element of gaybashing back then (and now once again, yeehaw).

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bjxp5m/we-asked-people-what-childhood-moment-shaped-them-the-most

The first story here, by Peter Troyer is about Clarke. (CW for pedophilia)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

starkebn posted:

The only person who I've ever heard the opposite for that was Katherine Heigl who got no end of attempts to make her a movie star or show lead.

It's a crazy mess because there was so much toxicity coming out of Gray's Anatomy it's hard to tell what was and wasn't true.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 23, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Weren't both of them specifically named as people who effectively told Harvey Weinstein to suck a railroad spike

That's the one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

starkebn posted:

Chevy Chase. Jared Leto. Etc.

The likelihood is that someone with a strong enough reputation for being a dick is probably a dick. Just not all of them. People believed it when they were warned Judd was difficult because it was a plausible lie. There are a lot of difficult people in that industry and it's a problem that productions do actually have to consider.

Blanket assumptions are something you shouldn't allow yourself to fall into because that's exactly what the people who believed Judd & Sorvino were difficult did.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 23, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Chevy Chase. Jared Leto. Etc.

Now give a non-male example.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've heard Julia Roberts was a holy terror on the set of Hook.

No idea if that counts of if she was a victim of at least one creepy exec at any point. I'd imagine it would have been big news if she came out and said "such-and-such bloke did stuff at me," but I don't recall that happening at any point - not that I'm dismissing it either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think it's a safe assumption if a young actress was labeled "difficult" in the 90s/00s it's cause she didn't want to gently caress Weinstein or someone like him. idk if that "trick" is as common now but it wouldn't surprise me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean dealing with constant abuse and creepy powerful men is likely to make a person a bit 'difficult'. Where difficult means assertive and firm and asserting boundaries.