Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lol

https://twitter.com/bymattmartell/status/1517225824528834561?s=21&t=xrBPlNmOi_UEUeX6A8Y43A

Austin Meadows hit a double immediately after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/codystavenhagen/status/1517234963896320002?s=21

Yankees cowards:
https://twitter.com/davidlaurilaqa/status/1517231083997302788?s=21

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
https://twitter.com/DavidLaurilaQA/status/1517249600024895488?s=20&t=86gRj4AdgRdR6sy9fGVhNQ

What the gently caress this is call

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I like how the Mariners announcers are concerned about Jesse Winkler not having any HRs this year instead of focusing on him leading the AL in walks. He's contributing fine!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

he took a step towards second. is the right call.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't say it's the right call but yeah it's kind of whatever. It's a judgement call on intent and Mancini did appear to make a very brief move to 2nd. Always turn to your right unless you're for sure going.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's so perfunctory though, like I didn't see even the slightest intention to actually go, it's like just the performance of a gesture symbolizing the idea of advancing to second which he immediately rejects

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that is exactly the kind of ticky tack "letter of the law" enforcement that makes people hate umpires

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I dunno that I agree with the call based on intent but I do think it was heads up baseball by the A's there and you're taught since little league to turn into foul territory for that reason

Even the first base coach is pointing at the bag, presumably telling him to get back on it

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 21, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm on team ump here, Mancini very clearly makes a move towards second, even if it's a very small one

don't blame the ump for enforcing the rules, blame Mancini for strolling back to the base as if he had all the time in the world

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
dude saw the ball on the ground, made a move to second, then reconsidered. the rule is pretty clear

even then all he had to do was hustle back to the bag, instead of trying to play it cool and hoping the umpire didn't notice that he turned the wrong way

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the call imo

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

It's the correct call but still the wrong call

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

bawfuls posted:

It’s the oldest trick in the book. Loria did it in Montreal and it’s literally the plot of the movie Major League

Supersonics too, almost to a T

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Cubs all over pitcher trades in the early goings:

https://twitter.com/Russ_Dorsey1/status/1517197474250821633

The return is just cash considerations, apparently. For curious Giants fans Abbot looked like he might actually be something for a while but hit a wall in AAA, and got absolutely demolished in his cup of coffee last season. Doesn't really have much in the way of velo or stuff but his control is decent and if he can figure out at least one plus pitch he could settle in as an okay fifth starter.

They DFA'd Abbott a few days ago to make room for Mark Leiter Jr (:lol:). Going for cash instead of some lottery ticket in rookie ball is a poverty franchise move. But that's the Cubs.

For the Giants, Abbott is interesting. His cutter/slider is really drat good. His fastball is not. He was great up till the pandemic hit and then had a bad 2021. Seems like the Cubs tried to get some added velocity on his fastball and cost him his command. If a team with good pitching development can figure that fastball out, he'll be a good MLB pitcher. Still pretty young with great secondary pitches.

Really don't understand the move for the Cubs. I get Leiter Jr is likely to be better this year, but you've made it clear you're "rebuilding", so why not try to fix Abbott who has way more upside?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Really don't understand the move for the Cubs. I get Leiter Jr is likely to be better this year, but you've made it clear you're "rebuilding", so why not try to fix Abbott who has upside?

Fixed. I'm pretty sure that at age 31, we know who Leiter, Jr., is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

They DFA'd Abbott a few days ago to make room for Mark Leiter Jr (:lol:). Going for cash instead of some lottery ticket in rookie ball is a poverty franchise move. But that's the Cubs.

For the Giants, Abbott is interesting. His cutter/slider is really drat good. His fastball is not. He was great up till the pandemic hit and then had a bad 2021. Seems like the Cubs tried to get some added velocity on his fastball and cost him his command. If a team with good pitching development can figure that fastball out, he'll be a good MLB pitcher. Still pretty young with great secondary pitches.

Really don't understand the move for the Cubs. I get Leiter Jr is likely to be better this year, but you've made it clear you're "rebuilding", so why not try to fix Abbott who has way more upside?

"Really drat good" is... stretching it. Fangraphs has his cutter/slider and curve at both 50 current and future value, and MLB.com had them at 55 the last time he ranked on the Cubs top 30 prospects which was 2020. His fastball meanwhile is a straight as an arrow meatball in the low 90's and MLB hitters absolutely torched him in his cup of coffee last year. I do think the decision to DFA a 26 year old fill-in sixth starter to retain a 31 year old fill-in sixth starter is bizarre to put it mildly, but I'd be very surprised if Abbot ends up as anything besides a fringey BOR junkballer.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

there was a good milb brawl tonight
https://twitter.com/theathleticmlb/status/1517284103611113473?s=21

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

pitcher drills a guy in 1-2 count with the bases loaded, throws a tantrum, gets punched by one dude, gets up and tackles a different guy, winds up hurt or pretending to be hurt

hell of a week for pitcher tantrums

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
You cant name a team the Rumble Ponies and then get all upset when they rumble.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Will someone please sign Comforto away from the Long Island Ducks?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the call imo

The situation was obvious enough that the base coach was trying to get Mancini to hurry up and touch the bag, so I can't be too mad.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I like how the Mariners announcers are concerned about Jesse Winkler not having any HRs this year instead of focusing on him leading the AL in walks. He's contributing fine!

radio announcers were cool with this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr. Fix It posted:

radio announcers were cool with this

He already walked again tonight! I think only two more to tie for the lead

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

"Really drat good" is... stretching it. Fangraphs has his cutter/slider and curve at both 50 current and future value, and MLB.com had them at 55 the last time he ranked on the Cubs top 30 prospects which was 2020. His fastball meanwhile is a straight as an arrow meatball in the low 90's and MLB hitters absolutely torched him in his cup of coffee last year. I do think the decision to DFA a 26 year old fill-in sixth starter to retain a 31 year old fill-in sixth starter is bizarre to put it mildly, but I'd be very surprised if Abbot ends up as anything besides a fringey BOR junkballer.

He was punching out guys at a pretty high clip with it in the minors. And it was largely the reason he was taken in the 2nd round.

I don't think he's going to blow the doors off or anything for San Francisco. Just think I'd rather have him than Mark Leiter Jr and cash. Although maybe cash is tighter than we think in the Ricketts family these days.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Niwrad posted:

He was punching out guys at a pretty high clip with it in the minors. And it was largely the reason he was taken in the 2nd round.

I don't think he's going to blow the doors off or anything for San Francisco. Just think I'd rather have him than Mark Leiter Jr and cash. Although maybe cash is tighter than we think in the Ricketts family these days.

They have four billion dollars kicking around since they're too racist for the Premier League

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jazz rules.

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1517332124591968258

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What exactly are batters doing when they bug out their eyes, open their mouths, and make weird guppy faces in between pitches ( Pedroia is the guy who was most noticeable)? I assume they are focusing their eyes or getting them to a neutral level or something, but I've never figured out exactly what purpose it serves.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

What exactly are batters doing when they bug out their eyes, open their mouths, and make weird guppy faces in between pitches ( Pedroia is the guy who was most noticeable)? I assume they are focusing their eyes or getting them to a neutral level or something, but I've never figured out exactly what purpose it serves.

They are breathing through their eyelids, like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Baseball players are weird and do weird poo poo because they tried it once 10 years ago and got a hit so now it's forever their thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol yankee offense

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

He is the best hahahaha

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Does Clint Frazier spend his downtime breaking mirrors, walking around his collection of black cats, and/or picking up totem items with the Brady Bunch in Hawaii?

https://twitter.com/joeypollizze/status/1517519096027435009?s=21&t=bAOSQoo53tnHqHqcAD5O1g

(retweeted by the Cubs.com beat writer, not just some rando)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Hall has changed its voting procedures for what used to be called the Veterans’ Committee yet again.

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1517519816361451524?s=21&t=BmfxWSjCpceZ5du1iSSaXw

It was previously broken into eras, but now the three ballots will be players who played between 1980-now, managers/execs/umpires who contributed between 1980-now, and a third ballot for all persons who contributed before 1980.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

So we've only got 8 months to get Dave Stieb on the ballot?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Finally get bonds and Clemens in.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

As with all things HoF related, I am forced to ask What loving Purpose Does That Serve?

Like, what a bizarre and arbitrary division of eras and people. My only assumption is that they're trying to screw someone very specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One year bonds had a slash line of 362 .609 .812 in 147 games

The hof chat made me think of that