Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

TenementFunster posted:

hell yes; looks great

i’d probably get that desk fixed sooner than later, lest all that fancy equipment end up on the ground, like SOME poster’s

:lmao:, that poor desk.

I think the sag has been fixed now. I flipped the table over (good lord it's so heavy) to measure and adjust each leg so they're all within 1/16 of an inch of each other, a couple of the corners were more than a half inch out. Then I moved the file cabinet to the middle of the table for additional support with its extra surface area compared to the one leg in the back that was there before. Will take some pictures once I have everything sorted out with my new gear!

Ugh lovely snipe.

TenementFunster posted:

command strip anchors, lots of velcro loops, and maybe some color-matching cable loom if it’s a real shitload of cables

My problem with cable management is I move things around too often to justify going through the effort to myself. I'd *like* for things to look nice and neat, so I think I'll give the strip anchors a shot.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cable runners are an option too, I'm probably gonna set up the pair that I got awhile ago soon so I can have organized synthesizer cables at my desk :catdrugs:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Coolnezzz posted:

:lmao:, that poor desk.

I think the sag has been fixed now. I flipped the table over (good lord it's so heavy) to measure and adjust each leg so they're all within 1/16 of an inch of each other, a couple of the corners were more than a half inch out. Then I moved the file cabinet to the middle of the table for additional support with its extra surface area compared to the one leg in the back that was there before. Will take some pictures once I have everything sorted out with my new gear!

Ugh lovely snipe.

My problem with cable management is I move things around too often to justify going through the effort to myself. I'd *like* for things to look nice and neat, so I think I'll give the strip anchors a shot.

Ihttps://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/signum-cable-management-horizontal-silver-color-30200253/

The signum tray is the poo poo, you can get 2 or 3 and it screws into your desk. What I did with my desk (i have an ikea desk with a mesh net, but I've used the signum tray before). Leave a little slack loop at the end, you will be good to go.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coolnezzz posted:

My problem with cable management is I move things around too often
so quit that

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I have a folding table with a crease down the middle and it works really well to move around a lot.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

I have a folding table with a crease down the middle and it works really well to move around a lot.

looks great man

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A normal person: They're playing Toe Jam and Earl!
Me: They're playing Art Alive!

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Renting a new house and it has a huge family room that I'm obviously gonna use as an office cause i'm a loser and single.

Starting to shape up, need an area rug and some stuff on the walls.

Ignore all the trash and cables, waiting on some cable management stuff to arrive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My desktop at home:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ddiddles posted:

Renting a new house and it has a huge family room that I'm obviously gonna use as an office cause i'm a loser and single.

Starting to shape up, need an area rug and some stuff on the walls.

Ignore all the trash and cables, waiting on some cable management stuff to arrive.

Why an area rug? I think the hardwood looks pretty good and an an area rug would just disrupt the existing aesthetic. I also personally loathe area rugs - harder cleaning, surprisingly expensive, hard to find good ones IMO. The few times I've had get then it was because I was forced to by lease agreements or noise concerns in multi-unit buildings.

In no way criticizing, just curious.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

With hardwood floors, wood paneling, and sparse furnishings, that room probably has a pretty nasty echo.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

With hardwood floors, wood paneling, and sparse furnishings, that room probably has a pretty nasty echo.

This was my first thought even before reading the post and just seeing the photos. Trying to record music in there would be impossible without a rug if not some stuff on the walls also.

I just (like 3 days ago) moved into a place with a large living room, also hardwood and the area rug we found really really makes it a nicer place to be. Cat likes it a lot better too - provides her a place to brake or accelerate instead of just sliding around on the flooring.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

This mostly, and I don’t really like the feel of hardwood. I am getting a puppy on Sunday who’s gonna be in the same room so maybe I should hold off. I’m gonna put some sound proofing on the walls to try and kill the echo

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Definitely toilet train your new puppy before you go buying any carpets.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Why an area rug? I think the hardwood looks pretty good and an an area rug would just disrupt the existing aesthetic.

big thicc rugs are definitely compatible with a music studio aesthetic

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ddiddles posted:

:hfive:

I too am living that bachelor life with lots of room and stand-up desk, digital piano, and guitar included.

I have an empty guest room that would be perfect for VR if oculus releases their next gen.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

I too am living that bachelor life with lots of room and stand-up desk, digital piano, and guitar included.

I have an empty guest room that would be perfect for VR if oculus releases their next gen.

Oh god are you me, I just bought an Quest 2, which is miles better than using the vive, but the issue with the edges being blurry is still there, someone needs to hurry up and invent some magic glass for those lenses.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

His Divine Shadow posted:

My desktop at home:

How's your C++ career progressing?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I unironically used to own this book.

Anyway I upgraded to 2 x 32" monitors on my homemade frankendesk and I'm not sure I like it. Can't figure out where to center.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Withnail posted:

Anyway I upgraded to 2 x 32" monitors on my homemade frankendesk and I'm not sure I like it. Can't figure out where to center.

Yeah I've had my two 27" monitors for a handful of months now and I still adjust and readjust them on a weekly basis almost, lol. Sweet fuckin desk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hughmoris posted:

How's your C++ career progressing?

It taught me I am bad at self education.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

His Divine Shadow posted:

My desktop at home:

this photograph is also from Aug 2000

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Withnail posted:

Unless you need both monitors in front of you, I wouldn't sweat it much, that's how I have my monitor setup at home. Primary screen front and center, with my second screen off to the side.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Withnail posted:

I unironically used to own this book.

I think the only solution to this is a third monitor on the right

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Only correct way to use two monitors is to vertically stack them. :colbert:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

It’s turtles monitors all the way down up.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Why do people do this? I feel like at 32" this must be neck cramp city from constantly looking up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Edmond Dantes posted:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Unsinkabear posted:

Why do people do this? I feel like at 32" this must be neck cramp city from constantly looking up.

It's not. Looking at my top-27" causes much less neck cramping than looking at the 24" on the left side. You don't necessarily need to tilt your neck, looking upwards can be enough. Not really possible to look to the side the same way.

Of course two monitors arranged symmetrically may be more ergonomical, but I never could understand people who could live with a monitor seam right in front.

May also depend on how high the monitors are. All the ergonomics advice I've ever seen has said to put the top of the monitor at eye level, not a cent higher.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Top monitor at eye level? where's the bottom?

E: I read that totally wrong. :lol:

But aren't you supposed to be looking somewhat down on a monitor and craning your neck up is bad?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 25, 2022

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I have mine stacked up and the top one is primarily for content I'm not looking at for extended periods or anything. Like my Discord window, game maps or whatever.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
yeah, I've had side by side monitors (both with the 'joint' in the middle and having one centred and one to the side) and having them one above the other is way better on my neck since you can just... look up. I got two 24s, the lower one is centred on me, with the top bezel slightly below eye level, and the top one is (slightly) tilted down with the lower bezel 'behind' the lower monitor so it ends up being straight on if I tilt my head back a bit. Works really well.

pocket pool posted:

I have mine stacked up and the top one is primarily for content I'm not looking at for extended periods or anything. Like my Discord window, game maps or whatever.
Pretty much this too.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drat, I wish my desk could take monitor arms. That does sound nice

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Unsinkabear posted:

drat, I wish my desk could take monitor arms. That does sound nice

you can if you believe you can

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did a little reconfiguring of my desk, brought my Klipsch speakers out of storage, and trying out this whole bias lighting thing

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

Did a little reconfiguring of my desk, brought my Klipsch speakers out of storage, and trying out this whole bias lighting thing

now that’s a r/battlestation, baby

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got a 62" Husky adjustable desk off craigslist for a song, but it didn't come wheels/casters, just leveling feet. Does anyone have some casters from one of these desks that they're not using and would like to sell? I'm planning to use this in the garage as a worktable and need the mobility.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

How about the exact opposite? If you do find casters and those leveling feet will work with a white desk (idk from that description what color they are) I'll buy them off of you, lol

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'll let you know when I find some casters/wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Is this the right thread to ask for advice on buying desks or is there a dedicated thread for that somewhere?

If so, I'm looking to get a larger desk to fit a planned purchase of a second monitor. Ideally I'd want it big enough to fit both monitors (my old one though doesnt have VESA unfortunately) and the tower, what size then should I big considering?

I've just been doing the standard look through IKEA's catalogue but every larger table they have is out of stock anyway. I've heard some people building their own with countertops and IKEA legs, is that a viable option? I don't care about sit-stand or anything else, I just want a fairly cheap run of the mill gaming desk.