Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

Thanks!

Okay, here's a big one: one I've had in the back of my head for decades. I must have seen this when I was really young; I saw this probably between 1990-1996. It was on TV. So the presumed good guy is fighting a presumed badguy in a hallway and the good guy takes a hose and puts it in the bad guys mouth, filling him with water. The good guy runs off to another room to this lady, and while they are talking and stuff, there's a loud pop implying that the guy with the hose in his mouth exploded.

I thought it could have been a Bond death but I've rewatched all the Bond films up to Brosnan era and never saw a kill like this one.

Naked Gun 2½.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvXSwDp9nu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MachineryNoise posted:

You could also be thinking of Severed Ties (1992).

I think this is actually it based on the quick scrub through I did on YouTube, I’ll watch it this weekend to confirm. Thank you.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Simpsons season 12 episode 15, "Hungry Hungry Homer":

Thank you friend

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Medullah posted:

Is that a Jake and the Fatman reference? Definitely a reference today's youth will get

Every so often, I'll remember that this was a show with that title, that aired when I was younger, but still old to realize 'what a weird idea for a show'.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What was that horror movie that came out a year or two ago, that was criticized for plaigarizing House of Leaves? The whole 'the house has impossible and horrifying dimensions' part, anyway. And was it any good? Worth a watch at all?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Every so often, I'll remember that this was a show with that title, that aired when I was younger, but still old to realize 'what a weird idea for a show'.

Me but for The Hat Squad, a show whose title and premise live in my memory despite it only lasting one season and that I have never seen a single episode of it.

Also, Cop Rock.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

What was that horror movie that came out a year or two ago, that was criticized for plaigarizing House of Leaves? The whole 'the house has impossible and horrifying dimensions' part, anyway. And was it any good? Worth a watch at all?

I would very much like to know this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mister Speaker posted:

Do you mean You Should Have Left (2020)?

It was okay. Didn’t love it, but I like the occasional side of Bacon.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You Should Have Left was one of the most unmemorable and inconsequential movies I've ever seen. Juuuuust lively enough to keep you from turning it off and not nearly stupid enough to inspire animosity. I'd skip it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's the one, thank you both. Thanks for saving me the watch. I skimmed a plot synopsis and it seems the house dimensions stuff has very little to do with the plot, but I recall it did really upset Danielewski when the trailer dropped.

I don't know if I really want a screen adaptation of HoL. The word "unfilmable" gets tossed around too much, but the book itself is so wrapped up in already being this (alleged) multimedia piece that it would have to be very carefully done, and personally I think I'd be left unsatisfied no matter how they decided to shoot it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s a movie where you watch a guy watching a movie off screen

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Forget "unfilmable," imagine having to write the subtitles or record the descriptive video VO for a House of Leaves adaptation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Danielewsky actually wrote a few episodes of a House of Leaves tv show, but the show itself was never made.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 21, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Good. Not every story needs a movie. And if there's one story I can't possibly imagine being adapted it's that one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kvlt! posted:

Good. Not every story needs a movie. And if there's one story I can't possibly imagine being adapted it's that one.

I’ve heard the movie “You Should Have Left” is a pretty good adaption of the book

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Well, I wasn't expecting a spoof film although it's so absurd it probably would be.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting a spoof film although it's so absurd it probably would be.

That scene is pretty much a spoof of Live and Let Die.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I didn’t see these mentioned but hopefully someone can help:

First movie was I’m going to say late 80’s but set in the 60’s(?). It was about a 13yo spending the summer trying to see the female teacher he has a crush on having sex... like I think it begins with them being given an assignment to set a goal for the summer. I believe it was narrated, and he makes friends with a girl his age who helps him on this essential quest. The only other thing I can remember is that he gets his wish but it turns out his father is cheating on his mom with her. Possibly an uncle. I don’t remember if the movie was any good but it’s been stuck in my head since I saw it years and years ago

Movie #2:
TV movie by the look of it, early-mid 2000’s. The sun is getting stronger/ bigger/ sending out solar flares? A bunch of people start to mutate, eventually ending up with almost golden looking scaly skin, no hair. It turns out they’re the only ones able to go outside in the new sun. I only caught the back half of it on Movie Central in Canada when I was home sick one day in approximately 2003-2005 if that helps.

I’m usually able to find stuff through google or remembering an actor or something but these are my two (stupid) white whales

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

The Great Burrito posted:

Movie #2:
TV movie by the look of it, early-mid 2000’s. The sun is getting stronger/ bigger/ sending out solar flares? A bunch of people start to mutate, eventually ending up with almost golden looking scaly skin, no hair. It turns out they’re the only ones able to go outside in the new sun. I only caught the back half of it on Movie Central in Canada when I was home sick one day in approximately 2003-2005 if that helps.

I’m usually able to find stuff through google or remembering an actor or something but these are my two (stupid) white whales

Probably not it, but a long time ago I saw part of some sci-fi movie which seemed to have ecological and metamorphosis themes. Habitat from 1997 with Balthazar Getty.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This is probably a long shot, but I could use some help identifying a few less-than-half-remembered films from my childhood, as they're kinda stuck in my head. Bear with me on the vague descriptions, I was very young at the time. Also there's a non-zero chance one of them was just a dream I had about seeing a film but the film doesn't actually exist.

1. I saw this movie in class, in first grade, late 1995, and it may have been a European film (we had also watched The Red Balloon in class once, for some reason). It was a live action film, involving a boy and an older relative (I think grandfather), and two sentient, talking, but still completely inanimate, toys. Like, they talked to each other, not the humans, as I recall. I don't clearly recall the exact form of the toys, but there's a sort of sense memory linkage between them and the walking pair of binoculars from Toy Story, so I assume large eyes and a sort of chunky aesthetic were features (they might have been trucks of some kind, but I don't want to get too definitive with such a shaky recollection), and I think they were blue and red. I vaguely recall one scene where the red one was still in, like, the blister pack in a store. I think maybe the kid stole one of the toys or something? But I think I also remember a scene of one of them being discarded? It may have been an educational film of some sort, given the context, but god only knows what it was trying to teach.

2. This was a weekend rental when I was about four or five, so, around 1994. It was a simple animated film about some generic cartoon forest critters (I think; there may have been more variety to the cast) and also a talking balloon (the only character I remember as definitely existing; my fuzzy memory recalls the balloon being either pink or blue, which I doubt is much help). My best guess is it was some small European/Russian film that made its way over here, similar to Samson & Sally (which I owned/drove my mother insane rewatching, though apparently it was Scamper the Penguin that truly traumatized her; they shared a VHS). It had that sort of flat, simple color palette that's the hallmark of cheap children's entertainment (though I recall the actual drawings to have been better than the likes of Dingo Pictures). Now, I vaguely recall there being some sort of covert alien invasion going on in the plot with the balloon as the mastermind and he gets popped at the end, but that whole bit could have been a dream I had after seeing the movie that has since just kinda merged with the film itself in my memory. Or, in fact, I might have just seen the box at the video store, had the dream, and never seen the movie at all. I hold out very little hope of finding the truth behind this one.

3. A made-for-TV movie that I think may have also been an ad, similar to Mac & Me, but featuring a character who was, like, found as the "prize" in a box of cereal and needed water (or, in the film's context, milk) added to take form and do whatever. I could be completely misinterpreting the memory, though, I mostly just remember the imagery of a little shrunken, dried-out looking dude (I wanna say he was yellow and red, like Ronald Mcdonald) and a bowl of cereal, on a back patio, on one of those tables with the parasol in the middle. I was between the ages of three and five for this one, as well. Pretty sure the character was an alien. I do not recall what he looked like rehydrated. I think there were at least two human characters, a brother and sister. This could possibly just be a heavily distorted amalgam of memories of Mac & Me, but watching it on MST3K didn't really clear much up on that front.

That's all I got, and if you think that's bad, I've in the past had to piece together from just seconds-long memories from back when I was in, like, kindergarten: The Last Halloween (the Hanna-Barbera special), the 1991 French-British thriller Afraid of the Dark, and It's the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown (a film starring Snoopy's cousin, Spike, as he plays houseguest to a pair of actual-rear end live-action humans and basically just does some tourism around southern California like a really dull fanfic). I saw a lot of poo poo one could easily assume was just a weird dream back then.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Movie #2:

This one is an Outer Limits episode
Music of the Spheres

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

First movie was I’m going to say late 80’s but set in the 60’s(?). It was about a 13yo spending the summer trying to see the female teacher he has a crush on having sex... like I think it begins with them being given an assignment to set a goal for the summer. I believe it was narrated, and he makes friends with a girl his age who helps him on this essential quest. The only other thing I can remember is that he gets his wish but it turns out his father is cheating on his mom with her. Possibly an uncle. I don’t remember if the movie was any good but it’s been stuck in my head since I saw it years and years ago

This is definitely Just Looking, directed by Jason Alexander of all people. It's a pretty good movie.

EclecticTastes posted:

3. A made-for-TV movie that I think may have also been an ad, similar to Mac & Me, but featuring a character who was, like, found as the "prize" in a box of cereal and needed water (or, in the film's context, milk) added to take form and do whatever. I could be completely misinterpreting the memory, though, I mostly just remember the imagery of a little shrunken, dried-out looking dude (I wanna say he was yellow and red, like Ronald Mcdonald) and a bowl of cereal, on a back patio, on one of those tables with the parasol in the middle. I was between the ages of three and five for this one, as well. Pretty sure the character was an alien. I do not recall what he looked like rehydrated. I think there were at least two human characters, a brother and sister. This could possibly just be a heavily distorted amalgam of memories of Mac & Me, but watching it on MST3K didn't really clear much up on that front.

Aliens for Breakfast, a TV movie starring Sinbad as the alien. I'd totally forgotten about this one until I saw your description. It's based on a kids book that came out a couple years before. I remember liking the book a lot as a kid, and being disappointed with the adaptation.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 22, 2022

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Opopanax posted:

This one is an Outer Limits episode
Music of the Spheres

codyclarke posted:

This is definitely Just Looking, directed by Jason Alexander of all people. It's a pretty good movie.

Yesss thank you both so much! Going to have to track these down

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

codyclarke posted:

Aliens for Breakfast, a TV movie starring Sinbad as the alien. I'd totally forgotten about this one until I saw your description. It's based on a kids book that came out a couple years before. I remember liking the book a lot as a kid, and being disappointed with the adaptation.

By god, that's exactly what it is (I just googled it and the whole thing is on Youtube, I guess because what company would want to claim that?). I'm pretty amused that it stars Sinbad, given the whole Kazaam/Shazaam Mandela Effect thing. Finally, one he actually did star in.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I watched a zombie movie ca. 20 years ago, maybe later. All I can remember is that a huge skyscraper plays an important part, and maybe Kris Kristofferson is the bad guy? Probably not K, google results were bad. Also maybe the zombies walk on the ground underwater?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

George Ramero’s Land of the Dead, maybe?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Ah yeah, that's it. Not Kris Kristofferson, Dennis Hopper.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

EclecticTastes posted:

This is probably a long shot, but I could use some help identifying a few less-than-half-remembered films from my childhood, as they're kinda stuck in my head. Bear with me on the vague descriptions, I was very young at the time. Also there's a non-zero chance one of them was just a dream I had about seeing a film but the film doesn't actually exist.

1. I saw this movie in class, in first grade, late 1995, and it may have been a European film (we had also watched The Red Balloon in class once, for some reason). It was a live action film, involving a boy and an older relative (I think grandfather), and two sentient, talking, but still completely inanimate, toys. Like, they talked to each other, not the humans, as I recall. I don't clearly recall the exact form of the toys, but there's a sort of sense memory linkage between them and the walking pair of binoculars from Toy Story, so I assume large eyes and a sort of chunky aesthetic were features (they might have been trucks of some kind, but I don't want to get too definitive with such a shaky recollection), and I think they were blue and red. I vaguely recall one scene where the red one was still in, like, the blister pack in a store. I think maybe the kid stole one of the toys or something? But I think I also remember a scene of one of them being discarded? It may have been an educational film of some sort, given the context, but god only knows what it was trying to teach.

2. This was a weekend rental when I was about four or five, so, around 1994. It was a simple animated film about some generic cartoon forest critters (I think; there may have been more variety to the cast) and also a talking balloon (the only character I remember as definitely existing; my fuzzy memory recalls the balloon being either pink or blue, which I doubt is much help). My best guess is it was some small European/Russian film that made its way over here, similar to Samson & Sally (which I owned/drove my mother insane rewatching, though apparently it was Scamper the Penguin that truly traumatized her; they shared a VHS). It had that sort of flat, simple color palette that's the hallmark of cheap children's entertainment (though I recall the actual drawings to have been better than the likes of Dingo Pictures). Now, I vaguely recall there being some sort of covert alien invasion going on in the plot with the balloon as the mastermind and he gets popped at the end, but that whole bit could have been a dream I had after seeing the movie that has since just kinda merged with the film itself in my memory. Or, in fact, I might have just seen the box at the video store, had the dream, and never seen the movie at all. I hold out very little hope of finding the truth behind this one.

That's all I got, and if you think that's bad, I've in the past had to piece together from just seconds-long memories from back when I was in, like, kindergarten: The Last Halloween (the Hanna-Barbera special), the 1991 French-British thriller Afraid of the Dark, and It's the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown (a film starring Snoopy's cousin, Spike, as he plays houseguest to a pair of actual-rear end live-action humans and basically just does some tourism around southern California like a really dull fanfic). I saw a lot of poo poo one could easily assume was just a weird dream back then.

1. Could be "Batteries not included" Grandfather and sentient toys are there. 2. might be a Barbapapa film of some sort.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
ring any bells?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

yaffle posted:

1. Could be "Batteries not included" Grandfather and sentient toys are there. 2. might be a Barbapapa film of some sort.

Oh, no, I love Batteries not Included. No, this was a much cheaper-looking production, and the toys were small enough to fit in a child's hand and all plastic. And for the second one, things definitely had more well-defined shapes, like, broadly identifiable as critters of various persuasions. I'm not holding out much hope on either, as one was likely a low-budget edutainment film (it may be relevant that I lived near Boston at the time, actually, if the production turns out to have been regional) and was quite possibly only ever viewed by the students of my elementary school, and the other was probably an equally low-budget eastern European thing cheaply localized and tossed into the memory hole of video store bargain bins (for those who are not as old as me, it was quite common to cheaply localize foreign animation and toss it onto VHS for a quick buck back in the late eighties/early nineties, and much of it would be obscure even in its country of origin).

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Number 1 could maybe be The Indian in the Cupboard (1995)?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

pseudorandom posted:

Number 1 could maybe be The Indian in the Cupboard (1995)?

That's another film I have actually seen and remember quite clearly, and no, these were toys that nobody would ever mistake for being humanoid, and I cannot stress enough, Hollywood had nothing at all to do with it. Though, focusing on the memory has caused a little more to surface, that being that the toys were, I believe, wind-up toys. Also, in case I wasn't clear enough, I'm pretty sure they had big, googly eyes on their blocky plastic frames. But, yeah, this is something that was probably never seen outside a classroom setting.

EDIT: To be more specific, when I say "Wind-up toy" I don't mean the old-fashioned kind with the big key, I mean the kind that was common throughout the eighties and nineties, with the little white nub.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

EclecticTastes posted:

That's another film I have actually seen and remember quite clearly, and no, these were toys that nobody would ever mistake for being humanoid, and I cannot stress enough, Hollywood had nothing at all to do with it. Though, focusing on the memory has caused a little more to surface, that being that the toys were, I believe, wind-up toys. Also, in case I wasn't clear enough, I'm pretty sure they had big, googly eyes on their blocky plastic frames. But, yeah, this is something that was probably never seen outside a classroom setting.

EDIT: To be more specific, when I say "Wind-up toy" I don't mean the old-fashioned kind with the big key, I mean the kind that was common throughout the eighties and nineties, with the little white nub.

Where The Toys Come From?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331711/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know the users on it are bleh mixed with :wtc: but those weirdos at tvt tropes have catalogued and categorized every single loving trope, major and minor, so while it might take you a while, looking up 'toys come to life' on there should eventually lead to your movie.

Same thing goes for any of these where at least some semi-concrete memories and details are still in your head.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Holy poo poo. I just looked it up on Youtube and yeah, that's it exactly, or else it's the world's most unlikely coincidence. The main moment that's stuck in my memory appears to be about fifty-one minutes and change in, though I completely misinterpreted the context of the visuals. I would not in a million, billion years have guessed that Disney was involved.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't know if it's a movie or a television show, but I'm remembering a scene that's kind of a riff on the Stand By Me leeches scene where the characters are traveling through the wilderness in a lake, one goes "hold up guys leeches" and starts stripping down and taking them off his body when everyone else checks and is fine, and he kind of goes "wait they just got me?"

It's a short scene but I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it? Hopefully?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know if it's a movie or a television show, but I'm remembering a scene that's kind of a riff on the Stand By Me leeches scene where the characters are traveling through the wilderness in a lake, one goes "hold up guys leeches" and starts stripping down and taking them off his body when everyone else checks and is fine, and he kind of goes "wait they just got me?"

Something very similar to that was in the trailer for the new movie The Lost City

https://youtu.be/v82cTiFNoE8

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Life Aquatic.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

feedmyleg posted:

Life Aquatic.

Shiiiit this was it thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

EclecticTastes posted:

I am almost certain that this is “Katy and the Caterpillar Kids”.

The original “Katy Caterpillar” was a movie about a little caterpillar who’s anxious about turning into a “flying flower”. Then a wise old somebody-or-other (might have been the tree she lived in) gives Katy a book about butterflies. She reads it over and over and learns what to expect and gets excited. She weaves her cocoon, turns into a beautiful butterfly, and it’s all very cute.

So naturally the sequel is about an alien invasion. :psyduck:

E: It’s on YouTube! Skip to the 28 minute mark for an awesome hawk singing Almost-But-Not-Quite “Rebel Yell”. :goshawk:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 29, 2022