Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Woodchip posted:

Sorry opponents, you’re listening to this funky beat every score. No cancelling!

The very second a music volume slider is in any game I am slamming it to 0% so fast so nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Psyonix getting a little funky with the new rocket pass (this Wednesday)

https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/1500894553938747396

https://www.rocketleague.com/seasons/season-6/rocket-pass/

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Psyonix: “Quick, we need ideas for a new Rocket Pass car”

Artists:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Finally hit Champion 1 in 2v2 after 1,352.5 hours! I don't know if I have the stomach to go for Solos now...

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011
Hi goons, longtime player who just switched to pc here. hovering between Plat 3-D1 in 2s and 3s atm. Can someone drop a link to the discord? The others in this thread appear to have expired.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Give this a try https://discord.gg/tKFzBzne

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011

Worked for me! Thanks!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Hit a high 5. Time to uninstall.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The RLCS winter major starts today, the broadcast is rolling now with the first round matches getting started at the top of the hour (1ET/10 Pacific). Watch here: https://twitch.tv/rocketleague

Link a Twitch account with your Rocket League account to earn drops as you watch / lurk / let the stream run in the background: https://esports.rocketleague.com/rewards/. Clicking a button after 2 hours, and every 4 hours after that gets you items. They're all pretty bad except the Splash goal explosion, but items are items.

This will be the first LAN event with an actual live audience so the atmosphere should be pretty good.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
If anyone is having technical issues on the twitch stream (it's constantly making GBS threads itself) there's a youtube stream that is working correctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5iyurFuG5I

You can still get your big splash drops on the 2nd stream as well

https://www.twitch.tv/rlesports

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Expired - I'd like an invite too, please :)

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Try this one
https://discord.gg/tAbmBFjBMe

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is it normal for the game to be all skippy when it first loads the main menu or when it first loads a match? After a few moments it becomes typically very smooth but those initial skips are annoying.

I play on Xbox One X... I'm guessing this doesn't happen on a good PC.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

On my old Xbox one with a spinning hard drive I’d get 20-30 fps on salty shores.

You might want to try putting it in performance mode if you can and see if that makes a difference. https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260800475169-Is-There-Enhanced-Support-for-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Series-X-S-

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 7, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I got back into rocket league a month or so ago. I had stopped playing online like a year ago just cause it wasn't really as fun, then I tapered off until March of this year. Gotta say, it's wild that almost everyone is going aerial now but the same percentage of people in casual are actually good at it.

I tend to stay on the ground when I can, so seeing these huge rocket displays turning into fuckall cause someone's still not good at it is hilarious stuff. Anywho, game is still fun as hell.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yeah I was the same way, but eventually you gotta just start going for the (smart) aerials. And yeah, you're gonna miss a lot more than you hit at the beginning. Eventually though, that ratio will start to turn over and your game will be better for it.

However, I do know people that just go for every aerial no matter how bad their angle is or where in the rotation they are. That guy will always be bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RVT posted:

Yeah I was the same way, but eventually you gotta just start going for the (smart) aerials. And yeah, you're gonna miss a lot more than you hit at the beginning. Eventually though, that ratio will start to turn over and your game will be better for it.

However, I do know people that just go for every aerial no matter how bad their angle is or where in the rotation they are. That guy will always be bad.

Oh trust me, I know I've got a lot of work in that department. And when I think I can wing I'm going for it. I just don't wanna blow a game open because I'm trying to force it. Cause holy moly I've seen people trying to turn a tap in into something far more complicated.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I've been using the same xbox 360 controller for the last 10+ years. Somehow the wireless dongles are the only thing that burns out, I've been through 3. After the last one poo poo the bed I figured it's time to upgrade my controller and bought an xbox one controller.

It feels a lot tighter, both the controller and gameplaywise. My old controller had enough stick drift that it felt like I had to update the deadzone size once a year. It'll probably take a little getting used to, I found I was whiffing everything by millimeters all over the place with the new controller. It's weird that I feel like I'm playing better but also missing stuff I shouldn't be missing.
How much of a difference does a 120hz monitor vs a 60hz monitor make? That's probably my next upgrade

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

The Fattest PI posted:

I've been using the same xbox 360 controller for the last 10+ years. Somehow the wireless dongles are the only thing that burns out, I've been through 3. After the last one poo poo the bed I figured it's time to upgrade my controller and bought an xbox one controller.

It feels a lot tighter, both the controller and gameplaywise. My old controller had enough stick drift that it felt like I had to update the deadzone size once a year. It'll probably take a little getting used to, I found I was whiffing everything by millimeters all over the place with the new controller. It's weird that I feel like I'm playing better but also missing stuff I shouldn't be missing.
How much of a difference does a 120hz monitor vs a 60hz monitor make? That's probably my next upgrade

On a 60hz tv I could not get out of plat 3 consistently. On a 120hz tv I hit diamond 2 in a month. Some of that may be input lag improving as well (old tv was 16ms, new one is 6ms) but for me it's a huge difference, I suspect because most of what you do is predicting trajectories and the less you have to extrapolate from limited frame data, the better. Another possible reason I improved: I moved from a 55in to a 65in and it's a lot easier to see how far off opponents are aimed and moving around so I can predict their moves better,

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I'm stunned you got 10 years out of a controller. I have to buy a new one every ~2 years. I've come to just consider it part of the cost of playing RL.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The Fattest PI posted:

Higher refresh is a thing that you don’t think you’d ever really notice but actually makes a huge difference in almost every game you’ll play. I’d highly recommend a 144hz screen with some form of adaptive sync, assuming you have a graphics card which supports that.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I also saw an improvement from P3 to D2 (solo queueing) after upgrading to 144hz. Reads are easier to predict, everything comes together so smooth. So much of the game is reaction time, which is greatly improved by increasing the quality of the visual information stream.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
brb, going to see if I can find a 12hz TV so I can maximise my excuses for being bad at the game.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

That’s the spirit!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Not knowing any better, I only really notice the 60hz due to screen tearing and even then its only if I'm playing on mushrooms. drat I guess I'll do some shopping. Anyone got any suggestions for reasonably priced and not too terrible monitors? Should I be going for 144hz with like <5ms response time or what

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TheDarkFlame posted:

brb, going to see if I can find a 12hz TV so I can maximise my excuses for being bad at the game.

I'm in my 50s: my TV is 120hz, but my reflexes are 8hz. My excuse is built-in.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Fattest PI posted:

Not knowing any better, I only really notice the 60hz due to screen tearing and even then its only if I'm playing on mushrooms. drat I guess I'll do some shopping. Anyone got any suggestions for reasonably priced and not too terrible monitors? Should I be going for 144hz with like <5ms response time or what

Why would you tolerate screen tearing instead of just turning on Vsync?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Input lag?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
yeah I saw a pretty good improvement on my old laptop when I switched vsync off. Definitely brings some tearing along with it but the much lower input delay was worth it. Definitely felt wayyyy better with it off

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Just came back to the game after not playing since before there were reward seasons. Still fun, and I've still got it (I'm actually terrible, but I can score on the other terrible people I get matched with)!

All my stuff says Legacy Item now, does that mean new players can't get that stuff?

Also, I want the animated paint job in the utterly ridiculous $20 shop bundle. Does that stuff ever go on sale individually, or is it bundle-exclusive to get you to overspend on pixels?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
The shop has random poo poo in it that changes every day, but it's kind of random and you can't really rely on the one you want showing up.
I don't know which one you're talking about but it's probably tradeable. There's a trading website that allows you to link up with someone who's got the thing you need with a list of things they want.

https://rocket-league.com/trading

There's some trade scammers out there, just use your head. Trading is extremely straight forward. Finding someone who's online and responsive is tough, but the trade is just both people put their item in the trade box, and then have to click a "confirm" checkmark. If any items in the trade box get added or removed both people need to reconfirm. If someone is being sketchy just stop talking to them. I've used this a couple times to find items I want, it's probably way cheaper than the store price.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Unsinkabear posted:

All my stuff says Legacy Item now, does that mean new players can't get that stuff?

It means you can't trade or trade-in those items. Many (most? all?) are still available from loot crates, the item shop, or wherever, and those new versions are trade and trade-in-able

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

The Fattest PI posted:

The shop has random poo poo in it that changes every day, but it's kind of random and you can't really rely on the one you want showing up.
I don't know which one you're talking about but it's probably tradeable. There's a trading website that allows you to link up with someone who's got the thing you need with a list of things they want.

https://rocket-league.com/trading

There's some trade scammers out there, just use your head. Trading is extremely straight forward. Finding someone who's online and responsive is tough, but the trade is just both people put their item in the trade box, and then have to click a "confirm" checkmark. If any items in the trade box get added or removed both people need to reconfirm. If someone is being sketchy just stop talking to them. I've used this a couple times to find items I want, it's probably way cheaper than the store price.

Yea I've definitely almost fallen for the classic "add a bunch of freebies for no reason to the trade window, then fake like it's not going through, only to swap out the item I really want at the last attempt" scam. It's like I've learned nothing from Runescape.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
This limited mode is awesome

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

It's loving brutal if you're new and not good, I'll tell you what.

Also sucks that even after you run out of lives you have to sit there doing absolutely nothing while the last two good players duke it out for an eternity, because if you don't stay put for the whole boring show you don't get challenge credit for having played the match at all. I assume that also applies to points/exp earned, but I'm not certain as I was not able to score any against the people it paired me with

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Unsinkabear posted:

Also sucks that even after you run out of lives you have to sit there doing absolutely nothing while the last two good players duke it out for an eternity, because if you don't stay put for the whole boring show you don't get challenge credit for having played the match at all. I assume that also applies to points/exp earned, but I'm not certain as I was not able to score any against the people it paired me with

This has not been my experience (on PC). I leave the match when I'm dead and then get the XP, match credit, etc later when it actually ends.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm really liking this new mode, I don't usually enjoy them but this one is great!

Learn the grab if you want any chance of winning. If you can grab someone you usually have enough time to jump off the edge and point downwards, then throw them straight to their death with no chance of them recovering.

I do agree the matches can get boring if you get knocked out early though. I usually just leave if I'm one of the first half to die. It doesn't ruin it for anyone else like leaving a normal match and I'm not bothered about the points for rewards.

The only major problem if I have with it is sometimes you do get groups of friends teaming up to take out everyone else before they fight each other, which is just lame. I played a few matches with a mate of mine and we just played normally and it was still fun.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was playing with a friend and we tried to make an effort not to go out of our way to target each other, because that just means one of us has to sit and wait for the other, but its too funny to sneak up behind a friend and fuckin annihilate them out of the map.

Its kind of fun, I don't know if it's my bag of tea but I think it's great they added some kinda non-ball oriented mode.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Two questions about the limited mode:

How do you throw someone once you've grabbed them? Is it dodge again in the direction you wanna throw?

When I'm stunned or grabbed it says "Left Shift". Am I supposed to hold that or mash it? Neither seem to really do anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
When you're stunned mashing that recovers you quicker, it might not seem like much but it's particularly bad being stunned in the air, and if you really hammer the button you can get unstunned and flip just in time to save yourself from being thrown directly downwards. You've got more powerful boost and like half a dozen flips/jumps in the air to use freely, so you can recover from surprisingly bad situations until the outer wall is so close that a throw just immediately kills you.

And yeah flip to attack which sends people flying, backlip to block which sends attackers flying, and grab by flipping while holding brake (KBM players might want to change the binding for grab) and then flip again to throw them, which is a bit like the Gridiorn ball throw. It's actually not a bad little game mode, it's interesting but is kinda rough when you end up against a party who are working together.