Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Lol wow I think it is. That's embarrassing. The real thing is just as cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why is it so tiny?

That's the smaller of the two halls, but the overall transit center isn't built at the scale of a large city train station like in London, Paris, NYC or Tokyo.

Like all other public transit projects in LA, it's undersized and underutilized because this city hates anything but cars with the heat of a thousand suns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
And they say hollywood's out of touch with middle america

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I found this weirdo place in copenhagen which is really outkicking its coverage for interesting and cool buildings. It's called Torpedobådshallerne so I assume it's a repurposed shipyard or something? Kinda looks like it. Honestly, it doesn't look super cozy. But I do like not wasting poo poo. Maybe it's nicer in the apartments?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Built in the 50's originally to service torpedo boats apparently.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dunno if this counts but I've always loved time lapse cityscapes so you're getting it anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
wtf how is the air so clean?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Looks like a lot of trickery was used to crank up the contrast and saturisation. Probably HDR, but also some modifications to part of the pictures that make up the HDR image.
If you lower brightness but crank up contrast, you can get rid of haze and fog.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Looks unreal. What city is it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Looks unreal. What city is it?

Tokyo

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdQIvWNPlSl/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do not, my friends, become addicted to water

Liebian International building

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Looks like a Final Fantasy building.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The gently caress happens on a windy day?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Azhais posted:

It looks like it's puking. Someone should photoshop this building so it's reclining on a couch at a party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well looking at the bottom it looks like it just goes all over the place, as usual. Though I presume they can turn it off also.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, that Tokyo pic is super processed and has also had colours altered, but the city does sometimes look like that, and I've seen it pretty clear a few times. The first picture was from my hotel window, the others were at an observation deck.

Not as pretty due to more realistic processing, of course, but still an amazing city.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Azhais posted:

read this as Lesbian International Building, and am disappointed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Azhais posted:

That looks like a building in one of the universes in the new Dr. Strange movie. I thought they made it up but that's pretty cool.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Any time you guys post from Europe and mention "rumored to be haunted" all I can think is "just rumors?"

Not that the USA isn't a cursed place, just the adage about 100 years being a long time here and 100 miles a long way in Europe. It's just statistics, if your building is from 1692 then it has a lot longer to gather ghosts than something built in 1922!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Azhais posted:

I had an idea for something like this in the tropics but instead of a fountain it was runoff rain turning turbines in an interesting fashion and generating a little extra power. Obviously it wouldn't really do enough for the entire building but it could be neat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

I had an idea for something like this in the tropics but instead of a fountain it was runoff rain turning turbines in an interesting fashion and generating a little extra power. Obviously it wouldn't really do enough for the entire building but it could be neat

If a time portal opened in Mawsynram, the rainiest place on Earth at eleven metres per annum,

and suddenly the north tower of the World Trade Center appeared there,

and you installed a system that would capture all the rain on the roof and discharge it at street level through a hydroturbine,

and assuming that the tower did not extend into the clouds, but that all the rain did fall on the roof, it would generate

about two megawatts on average.

It’s not awful, but we made a lot of charitable assumptions to get that far. For comparison, the Empire State Building has a peak demand of about ten megawatts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Don't care, still neat

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Platystemon posted:

If a time portal opened in Mawsynram, the rainiest place on Earth at eleven metres per annum,

and suddenly the north tower of the World Trade Center appeared there,

and you installed a system that would capture all the rain on the roof and discharge it at street level through a hydroturbine,

and assuming that the tower did not extend into the clouds, but that all the rain did fall on the roof, it would generate

about two megawatts on average.

It’s not awful, but we made a lot of charitable assumptions to get that far. For comparison, the Empire State Building has a peak demand of about ten megawatts.

So you're saying we should put giant funnels around the roofs of our skyscrapers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

So you're saying we should put giant funnels around the roofs of our skyscrapers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Playstemon quaking with rage

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Reminds me of Tempe City Hall

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

Any time you guys post from Europe and mention "rumored to be haunted" all I can think is "just rumors?"

Not that the USA isn't a cursed place, just the adage about 100 years being a long time here and 100 miles a long way in Europe. It's just statistics, if your building is from 1692 then it has a lot longer to gather ghosts than something built in 1922!

It’s just rumoured because ghosts aren’t real. :ms:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Azhais posted:

christ, how insanely wasteful

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ulvir posted:

it's actually a very efficient wastewater system using runoff from the bathrooms

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 03:02 on May 16, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Playstemon quaking with rage

Is Platystemon a duck :confused:

E: never mind, I can't read.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

koshmar posted:

Reminds me of Tempe City Hall

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Why did I just hear the quake 2 jump "hunh!"?
:thunk:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ulvir posted:

quote:

Although the Liebian International Building is not yet finished, the water feature was completed two years ago [2016].

However, it has only been turned on six times, with the owners blaming the high cost - 800 yuan (S$160) per hour - of pumping water to the top of the 121m high structure.

If you ran it 996 all year round like it was a Chinese worker it would cost over half a $M/year to operate.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

If you ran it 996 all year round like it was a Chinese worker it would cost over half a $M/year to operate.

lol dear god

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't know if it's a cool-rear end building, but your pic reminded me of this. Lots of Robocop (which was supposed to take place in a crumbling near-future Detroit) was actually filmed in Dallas. OCP HQ was actually the Dallas City Hall extended by a matte painting.

Sorry, this is timg'ed, not sure why it's so large

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Seattle has the Ranier Tower, which has the same inverted pyramid thing going on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

Seattle has the Ranier Tower, which has the same inverted pyramid thing going on.

Minoru Yamasaki had a type.

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/09/sandfuture-experimental-biography-of-minoru-yamasaki/ posted:

Yamasaki had the dubious distinction of having two of his signature works destroyed on live television. The images of the (second) demolition of the Pruitt-Igoe housing complex on April 17, 1972, have been the source of continual debate about architectural modernism’s failures. The footage of the 9/11 attacks and the destruction of the World Trade Center is nothing short of collective trauma.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 22:20 on May 16, 2022

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Fellblade posted:

It’s just rumoured because ghosts aren’t real. :ms:

Then what about the incessant heartbeat under my floorboards?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

You think ghosts have a heartbeat? How the heck would that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

DicktheCat posted:

That's just your guilt, OP.