Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Did you carry for the 10 miles? :eyepop:

I had a push cart, but it was still super taxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Played 18 with my mom yesterday at a packed muni, got hit into 3 times, mom perseverates on slow play and it eventually tilted me by the 12th hole where I made an 8 on a par 3 hole that's essentially a free par most of the time. 38 on the front, 48 on the back. Honestly one of the few times I internally lost my cool on the course, my decade mental scorecard looked rough on that back 9 :(

I think complaining about slow play tilts me harder than the actual slow play. It's literally never going to change so I see no reason to care what others do on the course.. lovely golfers are going to hack up the course, read putts too long, look for balls, talk to their playing partners, argue who has "honors" on the green and the next hole, etc. It's been going on since golf began and caring about it is a waste of energy. End rant. I feel better now.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh this is gonna be fun!

We have a tradition: Both the morning of the rehearsal dinner (18) and the day of the wedding (9), we play golf. My sister is getting married next June in County Kildare, Ireland - just outside Dublin. I've started looking at courses, but am open to any suggestions

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do any of you live in Orlando? I'm thinking about going down over Memorial Day weekend for Skyline Orlando which would leave Sunday 5/29 as a possible golf day.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 22, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Do any of you live in Orlando? I'm thinking about going down over Memorial Day weekend for Skyline Orlando which would leave Sunday 5/29 as a possible golf day.

I'm 25ish minutes east of downtown, but I'll golf anywhere around the area.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omne posted:

Oh this is gonna be fun!

We have a tradition: Both the morning of the rehearsal dinner (18) and the day of the wedding (9), we play golf. My sister is getting married next June in County Kildare, Ireland - just outside Dublin. I've started looking at courses, but am open to any suggestions

I played European Club in 2012 and it was phenomenal. It's in Wicklow, just to the south of Dublin.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

DJExile posted:

I played European Club in 2012 and it was phenomenal. It's in Wicklow, just to the south of Dublin.

Perfect, thanks!

Also, played the nine-hole course again. Last time I shot a 46, felt good about it. This time...48. Lost four balls on back-to-back holes (two on 6, two on 7). Just brutal. Then I hit an awesome drive on 9, chipped onto the green for a legitimate birdie....and ended up with a bogey. The search for my first birdie remains elusive.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Anyone played golf in/around Madrid? If so any must play suggestions? I値l be there for at least a month and have a fair bit of flexibility around work to go swing sticks

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

I'm 25ish minutes east of downtown, but I'll golf anywhere around the area.
It was going to be insanely expensive to stay an extra day. Another time perhaps!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We had a PGA Tour Superstore and Golf Galaxy (combined with a Dick's) open up near each other in the last year, so I visited them today. The PGASS was one of the smaller ones I've seen and only had 3 hitting bays. GG was somehow more disappointing than usual with a terribly shaggy putting green, but they at least had 4 bays. I hit about 30 drivers then 20 6 irons, first time since last June, and my forearms were stinging after 20 drivers. :negative:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Was solidly on my way to a PR tonight. Got to the 17th hole and lobbed one out of the sand to save par, but it was night, about 30 minutes before sunset, so I didn't rake it out. "Bad karma" said my girlfriend. Then I tripled 18 to lose the PR. Never forget to rake out the sand, kids.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Finally made the 1.5 hour drive today out to Palouse Ridge in eastern Washington, it's the WSU golf course and it was a blast. Its windy as hell, it's set up on high rolling hills and plays like a links course. The other 3 randos I played with insisted on playing from the back tees so I followed suit since I've been hitting it solid but I usually don't play from the back tees unless I've already shot under 80 at a course already. I shot an 81 which with how hard the course was playing, not ever seeing the course, and throwing in a 4 putt from 15 feet was a really great round for me. Could have easily been a sub 80 round if not for some serious dummy moments.

Driver was really good most of the day, only "bad" tee shots were solidly hit shots that landed in unfortunate spots on the short rough. Irons and approaches were probably as good as I've hit them in a round for a couple years, 56% GIR which I either birdied or par on every green hit. I'll chalk the 4 putt up to never seeing the green before and being a little off my mental game that hole - thinking about my tee strategy rather than holing the ball.

I bought the decade course management system membership a couple months ago and I couldn't recommend it enough. After working with it this year I can safely say there's no way I break 85 at a course that's a 72.6/137 rating/slope never seeing it before even though I've been hitting the ball really well lately. Definitely sign up for the first month for free if you're interested, you get to keep all the instructional material you just have to make an account. The podcast with zalatoris alone is worth the initial sign up.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I played Black Mountain during my Kelowna vacation. Yardage is a deceiving 5200 yards from the white tees, but if you miss the green or even some fairways, get ready to see your ball roll off the steep hills. I was rusty since didn't touch any clubs since September and shot 109 with some rentals. My irons were connecting fine, but I had no sense of aim for a lot of my approaches. I also wasted a bunch of strokes with chips out of traps. It gave me some ideas on what to focus on whenever the local courses finally open this year.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta posted:

I知 going to CA for a wedding next month and put together a greater golf itinerary than I thought possible:

1. TPC Harding Park
2. Olympic Club
3. MOTHERFUCKING CYPRESS POINT AHHHHHH AHHHHH AHHHHHH WFHSOWHDHOSKWBIDCOBAOWD
4. Monterey Peninsula Club
5. Spyglass

Please, for the love of god, let Cypress stick.

Well this was a loving disaster. Cypress connect bailed, I couldn稚 get on Olympic because they had their member guest in the days where I was in SF, and I had an emergency temporary restraining order hearing, so I ended up canceling the other rounds. Mega bummer.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Omerta posted:

I had an emergency temporary restraining order hearing

wow what happened at the wedding

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone here played Torrey Pines? Might be visiting a friend in CA in September, looks like tee times open for booking 90 days in advance, any tips? Never booked a round at a "good" course before, but do have a lot of experience trying to find tee times at crowded munis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omerta posted:

and I had an emergency temporary restraining order hearing

yeah whoa what

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Weedle posted:

wow what happened at the wedding

I知 a lawyer, so it was a work TRO and unrelated to the wedding. The wedding went great!

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Plank Walker posted:

Anyone here played Torrey Pines? Might be visiting a friend in CA in September, looks like tee times open for booking 90 days in advance, any tips? Never booked a round at a "good" course before, but do have a lot of experience trying to find tee times at crowded munis.

With how hard it is to play most of the US open courses I'd always take the chance to play one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks like I'm playing golf on Tuesday. The last time was June 2021, before than July 2020, and then we have to go back to September 2019 :effort:
The forecast had gotten more and more rainy over the past week, but I had already taken the afternoon off work and I had a non-refundable GolfNow Hot Deal, so I decided to risk it and drive to the golf course anyway. When I got there, things were looking pretty dire. At least the person in the pro shop was willing to tell GolfNow the course was closed so I was able to get my greens fee refunded.

Looks like I won't get a good chance to play for 3 more weeks. :negative:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

So I've been putting with an old Northwestern Anser clone vintage sometime in the 80s with a toe hang of around 40-44 degrees since I have a slight arcing stroke, but it is now badly chipped so that most of the black paint is now down to bare metal. Is having a clapped out putter reason enough to consider replacing it? (See, I am smart enough to know not to ask this at GolfWRX because not having 13 putters already is inexcusable)

Related, I tried my first Scotty Cameron Anser-type and it putted just as well but used at over $300 lmao

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353975679126?hash=item526a983896
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313973382865?hash=item491a459ed1

which one of you gross neckbeards abused this poor thing? :catstare:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255509614369?_trkparms=ispr%253D1&hash=item3b7d8f4f21

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 27, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

So I've been putting with an old Northwestern Anser clone vintage sometime in the 80s with a toe hang of around 40-44 degrees since I have a slight arcing stroke, but it is now badly chipped so that most of the black paint is now down to bare metal. Is having a clapped out putter reason enough to consider replacing it? (See, I am smart enough to know not to ask this at GolfWRX because not having 13 putters already is inexcusable)

Related, I tried my first Scotty Cameron Anser-type and it putted just as well but used at over $300 lmao
I mean, as long as it can make putts, you don't need to replace it. But if it's physically beat up and you want something new, I would suggest picking up a used Anser. I did and it has mostly satiated the desire to get a Newport 2... and because I'm unwilling to pay more than $300 for one in good condition.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

You're right, all I ever wanted is a real Ping putter. That first Scottsdale looked mint but then I caught the fine print that said "ACTUAL CLUB NOT PICTURED, PICTURE IS TO SHOW MODEL ONLY!"

Thanks for these, will be hunting around some later. As Josh says though it still sinks puts, so its no rush. I'd kinda like to do a proper fitting at some point but I'd much rather just spend that $100 on a club (or club upgrade)

Cheers!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
There are unbelievably lazy seller "storefront" dipshits out there:argh:

just be patient and look for one from an actual owner selling it who put some effort into the listing......the first listing from Hartford says the pics are of the actual putter.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 28, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Seeing that first thing I get up, nightmare fuel for the rest of the day. Like, did the dog go to town on that grip? They are cheap to replace, but is it imbued with some mystical luck that changing it out would break? IS IT HOLDING THE UNIVERSE TOGETHER? :ohdear:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Finally scheduled a fitting for a week from tomorrow and man it's gonna feel good to get new sticks.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

If you grip it too hard, you lose sensation in the tip.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Seeing that first thing I get up, nightmare fuel for the rest of the day. Like, did the dog go to town on that grip? They are cheap to replace, but is it imbued with some mystical luck that changing it out would break? IS IT HOLDING THE UNIVERSE TOGETHER? :ohdear:

Judging from the people I play with at my local muni, grips last the lifetime of the club. The idea of replacing them is preposterous.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

xsf421 posted:

Judging from the people I play with at my local muni, grips last the lifetime of the club. The idea of replacing them is preposterous.

I have friends who don't understand the concept of just cleaning your grips. You can get your grips back to almost new tackiness by using Dawn and a toothbrush. At the very least they'll have a ton more grip than they did with a year of dirt and hand funk on them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

xsf421 posted:

Thing is, its already a replacement grip :psyduck:

Shrapnig posted:

I have friends who don't understand the concept of just cleaning your grips. You can get your grips back to almost new tackiness by using Dawn and a toothbrush. At the very least they'll have a ton more grip than they did with a year of dirt and hand funk on them.

Reminds me that I need to clean my iron, something I can probably still do without a huge coughing fit.

We're like a RH of 5% and that dry air rots rubber very quickly, so I'm close to needing to replace the original grips on my S55s.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

DJExile posted:

Finally scheduled a fitting for a week from tomorrow and man it's gonna feel good to get new sticks.

I致e got one a week from today! I知 currently rocking some Nike VR pro combos which I was gifted as a graduation present a decade + ago, they go from blade (p-8) to muscle back (7-5) to cavity back (4-3), I知 a 12 handicapper so I知 probably not good enough to take full advantage. I知 definitely going to keep them around but I知 interested to see if they put me in a full cavity back set and how much that helps me if at all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

*Makes bad jokes about a tacky influencer named Dawn*

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I cleaned my grips last year when I took my clubs out of storage and shock, they were like fuckin' new. My dad cleans them before and after the season, and probably at least every couple of years regrips his clubs entirely. I don't know how people can play with shiny poo poo that twists in your loving hands.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

These are my old rear end putters, Acushnet Bullseye Flange and Ping Anser 2 (I'm not sure if it's just a gunmetal finish on steel or some other metal):

But what I really want is another Newport 2 Studio Stainless which I sold in 2014 when I was unemployed :negative::

Josh Lyman posted:

Looked through some of my old GolfWRX posts and it's worse than I remembered. In 2013 I finished building out I still think is the perfect Scotty Cameron collection but sold them off in 2014. I probably only made around $1000, and I would absolutely pay that to get them back. :cry:

Even had the stock grips

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

These are my old rear end putters, Acushnet Bullseye Flange and Ping Anser 2 (I'm not sure if it's just a gunmetal finish on steel or some other metal):

But what I really want is another Newport 2 Studio Stainless which I sold in 2014 when I was unemployed :negative::

My putting has been absolute poo poo, so I got the puttout matt and one of their target things, and its been a game changer. I do a shot from every foot away, and don't move back until I get one "perfect" shot in the indent. It's frustrating as poo poo, but it also means, I get on the course and am like, "4 footer, little break, this ain't poo poo compared to the 246th attempt to roll a putt in 6 feet on my crooked tiles." Haven't 3 putted in 3 rounds so far.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

I could go for a bullseye, not going to lie. I'll grab a pic of my old Northwestern at some point.

Nice set of Scotties, sorry you had to sell them

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Have to ask though, did those different Newport 2s hit or feel different or was it just the looks? I see most were milled or at least had a milled inset--did that change things up for you?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Have to ask though, did those different Newport 2s hit or feel different or was it just the looks? I see most were milled or at least had a milled inset--did that change things up for you?
The leftmost black one was a (refinished I believe) Gun Blue, which is carbon steel. The one with the insert was a Teryllium which is basically just a copper alloy. And then the Studio Stainless was 303 stainless.

From what I recall, the TeI3 was the softest, followed by Gun Blue then Studio Stainless. The difference in feel was minimal and didn't really matter, but I do recall putting with the Gun Blue on my carpet the most.

The reason that I say I want another Studio Stainless is that it's lower maintenance, that's all. The heads also had very slightly different shaping in things like the topline, shoulders, and bumpers.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

On the differently feeling metal topic, holy hell are the BeCu Ansers spendy. Not Scott Cameron prices (did you see the one listed at $4k on golfwrx buy/sell?), but significantly more than other alloys